Ultimate Spider-Man #108 discussion (spoilers)

The issue starts off with the Kingpin sitting next to his wife, who's in a comma, and has had her hair color changed, apparently, since the last time she was in the comic. One of his nameless lackeys comes in and says that there's a new guy who wants to be the Kingpins' fist. They leave, presumably to meet the new fist.

Next is MoonKnight's alternate personalities argueing with each other over the benefits of creating another persona to take down the Kingpin. I'm pretty sure that this is not how multiple personality disorder works, but whatever. Cut to the Kingpin interviewing his new fist (man, I love that...fist...heh...) and Ronin starts beating up Kingpin-henchmen (who's jobs are apparently to just sit there and get beat up by Wilson's fists). Kingpin says that Ronin has to go and get Spider-man. And what Wilson wants, Wilson gets.

Back at Midtown high, you see a girl who looks like Mary Jane (though you can never be sure with Bagley) making a video about Spider-man going to their school. It's revealed that it is indeed Mary Jane, and she wants to be part of the school news video-geek club. Jessica Jones is not happy about this. Or is it Kitty Pride? You can't really tell.

Later on, Mary Jane is using her witchcraft to seduce Peter and Kitty Pryde walks by (I think it's Kitty Pryde). Peter almost snaps out of it, but MJ casts another spell on him. Liz Allen walks up and is like "ZOMG tEH MUUTENTS!!11" and Mary Jane tells her to stop being so Mutantphobic, but you can tell that deep down, she agrees with Liz.

Cut to Ronin driving a bus into the school. He starts firing an Uzi at people and demanding that Spider-man comes out. Suddenly he is much more awesome than I originally thought. His little girl personality starts yelling at him. And then...ZOMG it's Jessica Jones, I mean Kitty Pryde, I mean MJ with brown hair...wait no, she just talked about her phasing powers. Yeah. It's Kitty Pryde. She starts fighting Ronin, and says she really needs to hit something, which is odd, because I think she left the Xavier institute because she was sick of having to hit stuff. She gets knocked out.

And heeeere's Spider-man. They fight. He gets hit in the neck with a tranquilizer dart. Ronin takes him to the Kingpin.

Bagley's art was terrible. So was Bendis' writing. I give it a 2/5.

Re: USM 108 discussion (spoilers)

So Ultimate Ronin is Moon Knight and now Ronin's taken over his psyche.

And yeah, I agree with the Kitty/Jessica thing. At first I thought the brunette that attacked Ronin was Jessica Jones revealing her strength and invulnerability like she has in 616, but then it's like "I'M A MUTANT AND I CAN PHASE" and I was like "Wtf?"

Also I hope Liz Allen gets offed for being a *****y mutantphobe.

Last edited:

Wade_Wilson writes the best reviews

It was quite funny and also sadly accurate. Especially about Bagley's women.

I desperately wanna like this title. I do. But I just can't. Not like this.

Here's what I think is happening:

Bendis, being the great creative writer we know he can be when he tries, is sitting around the house on Sunday evening watch Family Guy like any other normal person. Then the phone rings. His wife answers and on the other end it's Joe Q.

Joe Q: Hey---Brenda. It's Joe.
Brenda: Hi, Joe. How's Phylllis?
Joe Q: She's doing fine. She just got back from her mom's and is helping me pack for some random con. I forget which one. Is Bri there?
Brenda: Yeah. He's in the other room. Hold on. BRIAN! PICK UP THE PHONE! IT'S JOE!
Bendis: OK! I GOT IT!
Joe Q: Hey Bri. Sup dude?
Bendis: Nothin'. Just chillin'. Sippin' a Bud.
Joe Q: Yeah? Are you all "WHAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZUUU----!?!?".
Bendis: Yeah...don't do that. So whassup?
Joe Q: Yeah...sorry about that. Anyways...I was just calling all the writers we have and giving you guys a reminder that your issue scripts are due on my desk tomorrow at 9am. Really looking forward to your next New Avengers. How USM going? What happens next?
Bendis: Oy!
Joe Q: Forgot again didn't you?
Bendis: Yeah. 9am right?
Joe Q: Yep. I like ya Bri....I do. But that's one of our premiere books. We can't have delays. me and you go back. Don't make put on the boss hat.
Bendis: Pfffft. Cool your knish Joey. You're talking to The Kid here. I got your back. Remember that one weekend me and you went to Cabo and---?
Joe Q: Yeah yeah yeah....I remember. No need to talk about that again.
Bendis: You miss him don'tcha?
Joe Q: Sometimes. But that's the past. Let's keep it there.
Bendis: You're right. My bad. But still----we're talking about The Kid here! When have I ever let you down?
Joe Q: Well did you actually proofread Mighty Avengers#1? Thought bubbles Bri?
Bendis: It's cool. I'm bringing it back. It'll be so fetch.
Joe Q: Anyways...I'm just saying....
Bendis: No no. It's cool. I got you bro. CYA right?
Joe Q: Yeah...basically.
Bendis: And you've done that. 9am. The Kid doesn't fail. Remember the last time I forgot? I had just come off that hard drinking binge because everyone was all on Millars' junk because Civil War was soooooooo damn popular and he'd just finished Ultimates? 2 issues a year and all of a sudden he's Super Terrific Comic God Man? I WROTE ALIAS!
Joe Q: I know. I know. Look....don't go all falling apart on me. I was just calling you to remind you---
Bendis: Yeah. I know. 9am. But it was like I was saying. he Kid. Remember the last time? The drinking binge? I showed up at early at 7am and handed you my stuff. You said I forgot USM. Did I or did I not show up in your office 45 minutes later with The Clone Saga?
Joe Q: Yeah...you did. All seven issues.
Bendis: YOU ****ING RIGHT BIG DADDY! ALL 7 ISSUES! I'd like to see Millar top that.
Joe Q: Ok...calm down. Just remember....9am.
Bendis: You're talking to The Kid. Who's doing the art?
Joe Q: Bagley.
Bendis: ****! Are you serious? Again? He's still alive?
Joe Q: Yep.
Bendis: Oy vey!!! What a pain in my touchas. Did you see his past few issues? I couldn't tell if I was looking at Sue Storm, Gwen Stacy or Kitty standing under a bright spotlight.
Joe Q: 9am Bri.
Bendis: I got you. Look....lemme go and write you another "gold standard".
Joe Q: Aight....bring me the magic. Peace out BOOOOOYYYYEEEEEE!!!!
Bendis: Yeah....don't do that.

Wade_Wilson writes the best reviews
It was quite funny and also sadly accurate. Especially about Bagley's women.

I desperately wanna like this title. I do. But I just can't. Not like this.

Bendis, being the great creative writer we know he can be when he tries, is sitting around the house on Sunday evening watch Family Guy like any other normal person. Then the phone rings. His wife answers and on the other end it's Joe Q.

Joe Q: She's doing fine. She just got back from her mom's and is helping me pack for some random con. I forget which one. Is Bri there?
Brenda: Yeah. He's in the other room. Hold on. BRIAN! PICK UP THE PHONE! IT'S JOE!
Joe Q: Yeah...sorry about that. Anyways...I was just calling all the writers we have and giving you guys a reminder that your issue scripts are due on my desk tomorrow at 9am. Really looking forward to your next New Avengers. How USM going? What happens next?
Joe Q: Yep. I like ya Bri....I do. But that's one of our premiere books. We can't have delays. me and you go back. Don't make put on the boss hat.
Bendis: Pfffft. Cool your knish Joey. You're talking to The Kid here. I got your back. Remember that one weekend me and you went to Cabo and---?
Bendis: You're right. My bad. But still----we're talking about The Kid here! When have I ever let you down?
Bendis: And you've done that. 9am. The Kid doesn't fail. Remember the last time I forgot? I had just come off that hard drinking binge because everyone was all on Millars' junk because Civil War was soooooooo damn popular and he'd just finished Ultimates? 2 issues a year and all of a sudden he's Super Terrific Comic God Man? I WROTE ALIAS!
Joe Q: I know. I know. Look....don't go all falling apart on me. I was just calling you to remind you---
Bendis: Yeah. I know. 9am. But it was like I was saying. he Kid. Remember the last time? The drinking binge? I showed up at early at 7am and handed you my stuff. You said I forgot USM. Did I or did I not show up in your office 45 minutes later with The Clone Saga?
Bendis: YOU ****ING RIGHT BIG DADDY! ALL 7 ISSUES! I'd like to see Millar top that.
Bendis: Oy vey!!! What a pain in my touchas. Did you see his past few issues? I couldn't tell if I was looking at Sue Storm, Gwen Stacy or Kitty standing under a bright spotlight.

This thread has seven posts (eight counting mine) and it's already fifteen times better than this issue of USM. I can just tell.

Screw everything else. You know this is POTM.

I liked this issue, and had no problem with the art whatsoever. I'm happy with this arc.

In fact, I really liked this issue.

Screw everything else. You know this is POTM.

Hurry and tell E so he can award it to me before Moony tops me! :lol:

Not to steer this too off topic.

And for the record....I'm also saddened that Bendis just ruined my hopes of Ultimate Paladin. :(

Well, I liked the issue and I think the art was a vast improvement over last issues.

But. . .

. . . it's only been "two weeks" since Silver Sable?

WTF?

Well, I liked the issue and I think the art was a vast improvement over last issues.

But. . .

. . . it's only been "two weeks" since Silver Sable?

WTF?

That was my only complaint. It seems like many people here are predisposed to hating it.

That was my only complaint. It seems like many people here are predisposed to hating it.

I hated it because of the sub par art and bad writing. Bendis babble at it's worst...not to mention the stupid "shock value" scenes. I'm not predisposed to anything.

Latest posts

Back