Ultimate Spider-Man #76 discussion (Spoilers)

ultimatedjf

Wow. This issue, for me, was really good. After I read 75, and didn't like it, I kind of stopped thinking about this Hob story arc until I read today's new issue. The battle was so awesome! The art was as always amazing and even Ultimate Peter's usual thought-rambling was enjoyable. I loved the 2 locations of the battle, and the spoiler on the last page (didn't expect that!). I was glad they even had room to fill in another classroom scene with that teacher. More Shaw is always good, too. After this issue, whatever they decide to do with part 6 will most likely be fine with me! (Can't wait to hear Cap's thoughts) It's a shame it took this long to get here but it was (almost) worth it.

A-

Oh, and there's already a new Cup O' Joe, for fans of HIS ramblings.

yeah, i was gonna post thoughts, but someone likes to delete my posts on here..im reading the issue now and you are right, its pretty good, im going to read it again before i post my thoughts...as for the rambling.....no comment. To all those people who said shaw wasnt real or was just an imaginary person, ha ha ha ha, i say to all of you..

TheManWithoutFear said:
Can't pick the damn issue up until 2:30 .... I told my godson he could come with me today and him and his buddy don't get out of school until 2:15.... I'm dying here...

You're dying?? I have to wait to months to read my books... Luckly I get to go home on Friday and I can finally read my books.

The Captain said:
yeah, i was gonna post thoughts, but someone likes to delete my posts on here..

And since you publicly want to whine about it instead of privately like I offered, let me clarify once again. Do not start threads with no content. You tried three times to start a discussion thread for this issue, including last night when the issue wasn't even out yet, and all three times the thread started with nothing but "discuss the issue here." You had no thoughts on the issue, because you hadn't read it.

If you want to ***** some more about it you can do via PM. Drop it, it's a dead issue.

I took note of the part when Peter thought to himself why Nick Fury would let Harry back into civilization like this, because Peter's always looking for more reasons to hate Fury. (I am sure Fury had no idea Harry had these powers, right?)

And also, why was Mary Jane not in school? They were both missing from the classroom and it was only after she came out of the subway that she noticed Peter. It's probably nothing, though.

Great issue. Probably the best one so far on this arc. Great battle sequences. Im loveing the characterization of Harry. It wouldnt seem right for him to be trying to kill peter on his own. Shaw is a great villian, but i thought that Harry was going to try and break his father out.

And it's about f'n time we saw some hardcore action. No real development just an all out slugfest which was fine because I got more development than I could chew on in the previous issues of the arc. HobGoblin being a crazy monster made sense since Norman acted the same way when he first turned. My questions is what is it "Shaw" keeps eggin' Harry to do? I thought Harry was gonna head straight for the Trisk and then MJ showed up and "Shaw" seemed to have meant something else. The last panel made sense I guess seeing how Harry is nothing like his father. I didn't buy MJ showing up when she did she could've just gone to Harry after school and not skipped class to do it. It was just unnessecary. But now I think the MJ special issue will be her and Pete alone in detention dealing with whatever it is they have to deal with... (wonderful :roll: )

To be terribly honest I can't wait till this arc ends... it's not that good at all and I'm a firm believer this is all part of Norman's masterplan and wish he had more to do with the arc... At least we get some SHIELD tie-ins in the next issue.

Ultimate Gambit said:
So what was the spoiler on the last page??

It wasn't a spoiler and I wasn't all that impressed it showed a lot of Harry's humanity though and what seperated him from his father. Spider-Man was laying the smack down on him (something I'll bring up after this) and Hobgoblin looks up and says "Do it, Kill me". I found it a pretty weak ending.

As for Spider-Man laying the smack down... does anyone else feel Spider-Man had the upperhand the entire time...?

in the begining he did not have the upper hand he got thrown out the window

TheManWithoutFear said:
He wasn't ready to fight his best friend. I can see why he got tossed in the beginning but throughout the entirety of the fight I think Peter would've won.

I agree with you on that, MWOF. Once the OMGWTF thought bubbles thinned out, he pretty much beat the you know what out of Harry.

The Captain said:
To all those people who said shaw wasnt real or was just an imaginary person, ha ha ha ha, i say to all of you..

Because they were right? :roll:

ultimatedjf said:
because Peter's always looking for more reasons to hate Fury.

I don't know about that. I think Peter is confused about a lot of things and knows Fury has answers but won't necessarily give them to him. He's letting Peter grow up, and there's some things Peter doesn't want to grow up about on his own. I don't think he hates him at all. But that's another thread. :wink:

TheManWithoutFear said:
To be terribly honest I can't wait till this arc ends... it's not that good at all

I hear ya. It's been disappointing for me. #76 is OK I guess but I just get so sick of these formulaic arcs. 4 issues that drag on and on, an issue of action, and then an issue that tries to tie the previous 5 issues together.

I'm also not crazy about Hobgoblin's look.

UltimateE said:
I'm also not crazy about Hobgoblin's look.

Yeah, about that. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't like the "Mutated" Goblin thing goin' on. I feel it's a big cop out and just serves as a tool so that whoever is a Goblin can act like a big monster. If they were in suits like in 616 it would probably help characterize these characters better than just ok let's Goblin out and act really crazy past the point of humanity.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Yeah, about that. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't like the "Mutated" Goblin thing goin' on. I feel it's a big cop out and just serves as a tool so that whoever is a Goblin can act like a big monster. If they were in suits like in 616 it would probably help characterize these characters better than just ok let's Goblin out and act really crazy past the point of humanity.

I couldn't agree more, and it goes back to Greenie too. Norman's craziness is his best "power". That's the monster in him. Literally turning him into a monster who is even less articulate than the Hulk TOTALLY defeats the purpose.

Green Goblin is probably the worst ultimization ever.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Not that I'm complaining. I'm glad the fanboys turned the ignition key.
I know its off topic but I have to ask, you do realise that, having passed 6000, your officially a fanboy?

I actually really like the Ultimate Green Goblin. Not yet read Hobgoblin, and probably won't for a while as am waiting for the Hardcover. (Roll on Volume Seven, 2006!) But the Green Goblin, once he's adapted to his condition, was just as effective as the original. Are we saying that the scene at the end of the first part of Legacy wasn't just as (if not more) chilling than anything that bog standard Norman ever managed?

If I have a complaint, it's the formula of "Villain appears, is out of control monster, comes back in a second arc appearance as more refined and deadly monster. (Green Goblin, Sandman... I'm hoping that the next Venom arc will have some twist on it.)

Latest posts

Back