Ultimate Spider-Man #86 discussion (spoilers)

I rented the game. I bet I figure it out by the time I'm done. Problem is I picked a bad week to rent it. 7 page paper on "Should we concern ourself with life if there is no life after death
oooooo, sad on you MWOF

RUFUS! said:
but wheres the fun in that E?

Apparently it's a lot more fun to ***** about something you don't know anything about.

(I say you but don't mean you personally).

What game? There's a Spider-Man game? Is it a board game? I kept trying to jump in here, but apparently you gotta have game (Giants beat Philly:D )

I liked this issue. I thought Spide clobbering the hell out of the big scary guy was a make-up call for that whacked-out fight with Elektra. He dropped a forklift on the guy. Loved it.

Theory on Flash/Spider-Man. Word leaks out, as was posted here, that Spider-Man goes to Middlebrow High. Only confusion reigns, as dozens of kids start claiming to be him. (Read a story about how the number of people who claim to have killed JFK is now up to 81).

Sable is a nice package of femme fatale, but Bendis can't seem to vary his formulas too much. I don't know her from 616 or this heavily rumored "game," but the whole hot-chick-is-a-hired-gun-for-big-bad-guy is getting overdone.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I rented the game. I bet I figure it out by the time I'm done. Problem is I picked a bad week to rent it. 7 page paper on "Should we concern ourself with life if there is no life after death":twisted:

That sounds like it would be a helluva thread topic.

RUFUS! said:
how's that? one of us is going to be right, so we are arguing our points, to show why we reckon we're right

It's one thing to express concern over how he's going to do it. It's another to start *****ing because he screwed up before reading the story and seeing how it plays out.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Silver Sable made no sense whatsoever. This game (the whole thing) obviously takes place before the SS arc. Bendis is an idiot.

Can't be. The game shows that Spidey and Human Torch met each other before.

Interesting hybrid of Damage Control and the Wrecking Crew. I had to do a little bit of Googling to find out who the other guys are. For those who want to know, the black guy with the ball and chain is Thunderball, and the guy with the mask is Bulldozer. Although they are all in uniform, notable characteristics of each Wrecking Crew member makes them distinguishable from each other. Piledriver's blond and does not wear gloves, and Wrecker's carrying a crowbar, just like their 616 version.

I was disappointed with Omega Red being just another thug, and a failure to connect the game with Silver Sable's apperance now (which is more annoying since it is claimed in the letters page that it does). Interesting is the Roxxon sub-plot. I hope we get to know what organization or corporation is behind all off the baddies attempting to sabotage Roxxon Industries within this arc, and I am looking forward to Ultimate Vulture.

Last edited:
cmdrjanjalani said:

What are you talking about?

"Before Silver Sable Arc" regarding Johnny Storm, means it could take place anywhere between the All Star Arc and Warriors.

There's plenty of space. And MJ and Peter are obvioulsy still going out so that means it takes place before Warriors and probably the events of Hobgoblin.

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man 86 (spoiler)

Shockmuffin said:
And I am a proponent for this scenario, but the evidence doesn't fit.

We've only been given a small bit of "evidence" so far, so I say wait till we get at least another issue into the arc before making assumptions.

Flash says "My name is Flash Thompson" and Sable responds "I know, and you don't have to hide the secret ID..etc,etc."

Soooo, this implies Sable thinks Flash is Spider-Man. When if the game has happened already, she'd know that wasn't true. And while that room might have been poorly lit, Flash and Peter look totally different. I don't think a pro like Sable would make this mistake.

Why don't you mention how when she kicks him in the head and he gets knocked out she then realizes its not Spider-Man? That to me implies she has had enough personal experience with Spidey to know that he either would have avoided that attack or not been as affected by it. You totally forgot that bit of "evidence".

Of course, it could be that Sable is simply extending a professional courtesy towards Peter and pretending to play dumb to not expose his ID to Roxxon or the Wildpack agents, but we'll see.

Thats a possibility as well. The way I see it from how Sable acted in the game, while she is a consummate professional, she seemed to hold a grudging respect for Peter/Spidey, so your suggestion may very well be the case.

RUFUS! said:
i know that is the way it is shown & makes no sense but unless Bendis is B*** S*****n us then the game is first, he's already said so.

i don't see why she'd do that seeing as she had no problem telling her team in the game who he was (seeing as they all went to capture him)

Good points, but I assume we'll learn more about her motivations in the upcoming issues.

Don't forget guys, this is a 5 issue arc, where we've only seen the first issue. Thats 1/5th, or 20%, of the total story. I'm sure we'll get some type of explanation, and if not that wouldn't be surprising given how much Bendis ignores his own continuity. Because he's a hack.

UltimateE said:
Or you could wait until you read the whole story to see how it is explained.

Sorry, E, just had to add that in. I agree totally though.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Silver Sable made no sense whatsoever. This game (the whole thing) obviously takes place before the SS arc. Bendis is an idiot.

I concur, though I'm surprised you'd say that about the guy who penned Daredevil so tactfully. Its like a hardcore Southern Baptist listening to Satanic rap metal or something...just seems wrong.

cmdrjanjalani said:

Right, so why can't it have happened before Silver Sable then? Assuming they know each other in the game, and only met way back in USMSS and more recently in USM #68-69, I'm not seeing how this can't be the case.

Interesting hybrid of Damage Control and the Wrecking Crew. I had to do a little bit of Googling to find out who the other guys are. For those who want to know, the black guy with the ball and chain is Thunderball,

Who finally got a Heroclix in the newest set, Armor Wars, which came out last week. Wrecker was made awhile back, but still no Bulldozer or Piledriver.

and the guy with the mask is Bulldozer. Although they are all in uniform, notable characteristics of each Wrecking Crew member makes them distinguishable from each other. Piledriver's blond and does not wear gloves, and Wrecker's carrying a crowbar, just like their 616 version.

I was sort of thrown for a loop by them showing up, as I figured they'd be on a list of "Least likely to be Ultimized". But then again they Ultimized Vision, then made him a female, so I guess anything is possible.

TheManWithoutFear said:
What are you talking about?

"Before Silver Sable Arc" regarding Johnny Storm, means it could take place anywhere between the All Star Arc and Warriors.

There's plenty of space. And MJ and Peter are obvioulsy still going out so that means it takes place before Warriors and probably the events of Hobgoblin.

Exactly, though the game most definitly takes place before Hobgoblin. The first level takes place during USM #38, the second level right after USM #45, and the rest of the game sometime during the All-Stars Arc. It must occur AFTER the Carnage arc since Peter is Carnage 2 in the game but before the Hobgoblin arc because of Peter and MJ still being together in the game. This means it occurs sometime during the All-Star arc.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I swear to God it's like two different writers.

I'm convinced the quantity of the titles he writes is directly affecting the quality of the titles he writes. Apparently not only does he want to break Lee's and Kirby's record with USM, but he wants to break the record of "most titles authored by single writer at one time" as well. What does he write, like 25-30 books a month? Something like that. ;)

DIrishB said:
I'm convinced the quantity of the titles he writes is directly affecting the quality of the titles he writes. Apparently not only does he want to break Lee's and Kirby's record with USM, but he wants to break the record of "most titles authored by single writer at one time" as well. What does he write, like 25-30 books a month? Something like that. ;)
But why does that mean Daredevil is so good and USM is maybe a bit better than mediocre at best?

TheManWithoutFear said:
But why does that mean Daredevil is so good and USM is maybe a bit better than mediocre at best?

The best of USM is a bit better than mediocre? I kinda disagree.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well then... looking at the two series as a whole?

Personally, collecting Daredevil in TPB, I've been kinda underwhelmed by The Widow and Golden Age story arcs. They were executed well enough and Maleev's art is gorgeous, but then again I like Bagley's art too, and the series was impressing me a lot more up till now.

Again, my Ultimate Spidey perspective could be limited as I collect in hardcovers, so I have only read up to Superstars. But Warriors is meant to be great, and the only Ultimate Spidey arc which I've really found to not do much for me was probably Carnage. (Some nice moments, but much like the afore-mentioned DD arcs, felt like it was kinda going through the motions.)

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, so I'm probably an easier target for USM, especially since the mainline titles are a little lame right now, but the overall standard has been awesome, and if the last few arcs have sometimes felt underwhelming, it's only because the earlier ones were brilliant. I'm not really here to play "USM > DD", I just think that there's not a huge quality difference between them, and to say an entire series is mediocre because of a couple of weak recent stories is hardly fair.

God, that was long. Sorry.

I can finally post about the actual issue... It did come, for those of you who were worried about the people that were subscribed. Marvel would disclude us just because of the Ultimate Vision stuff (Which I do not really like...).

First, I was not really impressed with Omega Red. I know that I said give him a chance... But remember--I did also say that he was going to end up as a powerful thug. I couldn't have been more right it seems. He's a mutant from Russia who's new to the assassin game... I have this odd suspicion that he's got ties to the bunker that the X-Men and the Ultimates discovered in Nightmare; hopefully we'll see that come to light soon.

Wrecking Crew? What's so good about them? They're super hero janitors...

The story itself seems to be supported with toothpicks. I don't know--It doesn't seem like it's based off of anything really spectacular and, because of that, I'm put off. The coloring is great (Let the Ultimate Vision story have Smith!), but I really felt off about the story. C'mon, Spider-Man can follow Fury around undetected from the moment he left the Trisk, but can't detect a friggin' helicopter's following him? No. And Flash? Man, that was a really off twist to the issue. Like, to have him get caught up in this super hero stuff makes me think less of his character. It's gotta be the tights (Although Silver Sable has a cool costume). I'll give this one a chance since I have a feeling I know who Mr. Roxxon will turn out to be *cough* Moonknight *cough*.

I mean, think about it. Mr. Roxxon seemed unnaturally bent on finding out about Spider-Man he's gotta have beef or he's out of touch. How many other places has Spider-Man fought since he's shown up? Look what he and the Goblin did to Oscorp, pal. So typical...

3/5... I can't really say anything more about this issue as a whole than I'm on the fence about it.

TheManWithoutFear said:

He's good at putting himself in a blind man's shoes...after all he's too blind to see that the sheer number of titles he's writing are drawing quality from each other.

Goodwill said:
Wrecking Crew? What's so good about them? They're super hero janitors...

Personally, I found it rather amusing and ironic, that the "Wrecking Crew", is now helping out in cleaning up superhuman mess-ups. Also, it was fun to see Bendis bring out an old 90's concept. It's also refreshing from the usual "Super-villain cameo of the month" that Bendis has been doing since Shocker.

And like some guys said, no one would expect the Wrecking Crew to be Ultimized, and Bendis was able to make them blend into the Ultimate Universe and change them from what would have easily been just another super-villain gang.

cmdrjanjalani said:
Personally, I found it rather amusing and ironic, that the "Wrecking Crew", is now helping out in cleaning up superhuman mess-ups. Also, it was fun to see Bendis bring out an old 90's concept. It's also refreshing from the usual "Super-villain cameo of the month" that Bendis has been doing since Shocker.

And like some guys said, no one would expect the Wrecking Crew to be Ultimized, and Bendis was able to make them blend into the Ultimate Universe and change them from what would have easily been just another super-villain gang.

I agree, though there was still an inherent hokey factor to it all.

Latest posts

Back