Ultimate Spider-Man #86 discussion (spoilers)

Seriously. Not every character needs an Ultimate counterpart. I think this is where Bendis is going all wrong at this point. We're just having characters show up get a good laugh out of having them around. "Oh, hey, that's the Shocker... Heh heh". Seriously, some of these characters, a lot of these characters, were taken seriously in the 616. I honestly think there should no longer be such a thing as a cameo. Besides, if Quesada wants his UU contained in however many titles, he better moderate the number of characters showing up. Whether they are developed or not, they're taking up space somehow... Fans will remember these appearances.

Goodwill said:
Seriously. Not every character needs an Ultimate counterpart. I think this is where Bendis is going all wrong at this point. We're just having characters show up get a good laugh out of having them around. "Oh, hey, that's the Shocker... Heh heh". Seriously, some of these characters, a lot of these characters, were taken seriously in the 616. I honestly think there should no longer be such a thing as a cameo. Besides, if Quesada wants his UU contained in however many titles, he better moderate the number of characters showing up. Whether they are developed or not, they're taking up space somehow... Fans will remember these appearances.

Good points. I can see the reasoning for having a character like Ultimate Shocker, long as it isn't overdone (which it is getting to be in USM), I just wish it had been a different character, like Speedball or something. I always thought 616 Shocker was a cool character (even if he was just a variation of Electro), and much prefer the 616 costume over the retro-metro look the Ultimate version is sporting. He looks like a character out of some late 80's cartoon.

DIrishB said:
Good points. I can see the reasoning for having a character like Ultimate Shocker, long as it isn't overdone (which it is getting to be in USM), I just wish it had been a different character, like Speedball or something. I always thought 616 Shocker was a cool character (even if he was just a variation of Electro), and much prefer the 616 costume over the retro-metro look the Ultimate version is sporting. He looks like a character out of some late 80's cartoon.

Yeah. That's why I used Shocker as an example. I think the fact that he's sort of a joke in USM now is incredibly irritating.

Goodwill said:
Yeah. That's why I used Shocker as an example. I think the fact that he's sort of a joke in USM now is incredibly irritating.

I agree, but only because its been beaten to death already, between his 5 or 6 appearances in the title and also in the game. Its never anything new, its always the same joke being rehashed.

I happen to like Speedball, thank you. Although I'd like to see a story where Shocker becomes a legitimate threat to Spidey.

Well, he didn't seem to use Omega red all that seriously. Used him as a thug as I expected and wished back when he was first annunced.

Goodwill said:

He was a joke before.

I really haven't seen Bendis make a joke out any character that wasn't a joke before. Omega Red, Shocker, Killer Shrike - all lame.

E.Vi.L. said:
Well, he didn't seem to use Omega red all that seriously. Used him as a thug as I expected and wished back when he was first annunced.
Nah, Bendis introduced Omega Red and there's rumors that he will appear in UXM and be elaborated on. He might have come off as lame according to the opinons of some (me included) but he wasn't meant to be "Shocker" - lame

Yes, well, the fact that he was introduced only to get harped on is pretty lame and does not set a very good example for the rest of his appearances... You know what they say about first impressions, don't you? :)

UltimateE said:
He was a joke before.

I really haven't seen Bendis make a joke out any character that wasn't a joke before. Omega Red, Shocker, Killer Shrike - all lame.

I think if Bendis wants to be really creative and show his writing prowess, more lame villains should end up becoming bad-***. It seems that he only makes the cool villains cool, and bashes on the lamer villains. Anybody can do that.

He should take a cue from Vaughan. He made the Mojoworld characters kick ***, and I love his evil take on Longshot, not to mention Mr. Sinister.

A great point that I really, really like. You're my new favorite member, actually. :) Bendis should turn lame characters into forces to be reconned with, although he should also learn to strengthen his ability to come up with new characters. For some odd reason, I'd like to see more pop up and take a significant role in the UU. I'm bored with these rehashes...

One question about this issue that may or may not be answered in later issues... How many members are there in the Wild Pack?

Latest posts

Back