Ultimate Spider-Man #87 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Good issue.

The only thing I didn't like was Sable. Still no explanation about how she doesn't know Spider-Man's identity even with a refrence to the games events. *I may have a theory*. She's coming off as incredibly sloppy *Theory*.

Lame that Flash got away from professionals like that.

The neutral/good

Kitty! Ok, she's in the issue. Cool. What does she do? Well nothing but she does something that's actually great for another character. Good to see her and she's actually being used but I can see people being disappointed.

The good-good

Tandy Bowen is always good. She might be one of my favorite Ultimate Characters.

Peter's thoughts on everything especially Mary Jane.

The Wild Pack. I actually like their interaction together this issue. With the exception of Flash's getaway, I had no complaints.

Mary Jane. She was absolutely great and played off of Kitty so well. Bendis did a great job with her and showing her feelings. Kitty was used as nothing more than a tool to showcase Mary Jane and it was brilliant. Loved it.

4/5

Silver Sable Theory
She's playing stupid. That's all there is too it. She met Peter. Knows he's a good kid. Wants to suck some money out of Roxxon and is just fakeing the attempt to go after Spider-Man.

Yeah, this issue did a little better in placing the video game in continuity then the last, especially with the Wildpack mentioning "That Latveria thing".

I'm going with the "Sable's playing dumb" scenario too.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Good issue.

The only thing I didn't like was Sable. Still no explanation about how she doesn't know Spider-Man's identity even with a refrence to the games events. *I may have a theory*. She's coming off as incredibly sloppy *Theory*.

Lame that Flash got away from professionals like that.

The neutral/good

Kitty! Ok, she's in the issue. Cool. What does she do? Well nothing but she does something that's actually great for another character. Good to see her and she's actually being used but I can see people being disappointed.

The good-good

Tandy Bowen is always good. She might be one of my favorite Ultimate Characters.

Tandy Bowen actually makes an appearance finally? Hmmm, wonder if that means something more for her is in store somewhere down the road...she wasn't hanging out with a black guy who wore a big cloak by any chance?

Peter's thoughts on everything especially Mary Jane.

The Wild Pack. I actually like their interaction together this issue. With the exception of Flash's getaway, I had no complaints.

Mary Jane. She was absolutely great and played off of Kitty so well. Bendis did a great job with her and showing her feelings. Kitty was used as nothing more than a tool to showcase Mary Jane and it was brilliant. Loved it.

4/5

Silver Sable Theory
She's playing stupid. That's all there is too it. She met Peter. Knows he's a good kid. Wants to suck some money out of Roxxon and is just fakeing the attempt to go after Spider-Man.

That might have some merit to it. Maybe Bendis is taking a page from Millar's book, and realizing fans would complain about the continuity mess-up between the two (since he's probably used to that type of complaining) wrote the arc with a reveal at the end along the lines of your theory, sort of as a last minute jab at the nay-sayers (much like Millar did in the UFF Crossover arc). Could be something to that, MWoF, we'll see where it goes.

Shockmuffin said:
Yeah, this issue did a little better in placing the video game in continuity then the last, especially with the Wildpack mentioning "That Latveria thing".

I'm going with the "Sable's playing dumb" scenario too.

They even mention Latveria? Definitly gonna be some more ties placed between this arc and the video game by arc's end.

DIrishB said:
Tandy Bowen actually makes an appearance finally? Hmmm, wonder if that means something more for her is in store somewhere down the road...she wasn't hanging out with a black guy who wore a big cloak by any chance?

Unfortunately she wasn't and I believe she wasn't even blonde. They were interviewing the school because of what happened to Flash (gets abducted because they mistakenly took him as Spider-Man) so certain students get interviewed. Liz, Tandy, Principal, and Kong. Tandy's all hyper and says "Everyone knows Spider-Man goes to this school". Nothing big.

Err. Once again thsi work better if you just ignore the game altogether.

There's always a danger MWoF theory is correct but it would be pretty lame.

Silver Sable care about her reputation. If she thinks Peter is a good kid and don't want to mess his life then simplest solution would have been to refuse the contract stating conflicting interest. Peter isn't harmed, her reputation neither. She might even go the extra mile and warn Peter.

I don't see how you can reconcile her wanting to spare Peter and then asking her men to "get rid" of Flash Thompson.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Err. Once again thsi work better if you just ignore the game altogether.

There's always a danger MWoF theory is correct but it would be pretty lame.

Silver Sable care about her reputation. If she thinks Peter is a good kid and don't want to mess his life then simplest solution would have been to refuse the contract stating conflicting interest. Peter isn't harmed, her reputation neither. She might even go the extra mile and warn Peter.

I don't see how you can reconcile her wanting to spare Peter and then asking her men to "get rid" of Flash Thompson.

How about "just because"? I could see Bendis using that excuse/explanation.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Because she's a mercenary and she wants money.

One failed contract loses you more money in the long run than one you refuse to take on.

Considering she has now offer to salvage the situation free of charge, it also would have cost less in the short run.

How about "just because"? I could see Bendis using that excuse/explanation.

I could also see "Forget about the game" used as an explanation.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Because she's a mercenary and she wants money.

But what if she's a mercenary with a heart of gold? Eh? Huh? Julia Roberts with white hair, huh? No? Nevermind...

E.Vi.L said:
I could also see "Forget about the game" used as an explanation.

Pffffssshhhhttt, but then all Bendis' and the game developers' claims it was in-continuity would be a lie. And they wouldn't lie to us to make a quick buck, now would they?

I like the game story and really want it to be part of the Ultimate Spidey mythos.

But this current arc is really making it hard for that possibility.

I actually wouldn't mind a mini-series that summarizes the game running parallel to the main title. Sure it would smack of Marvel trying to leech even more money out of it, but add in some extra material and scenes and I'd bite.

Shockmuffin said:
I actually wouldn't mind a mini-series that summarizes the game running parallel to the main title. Sure it would smack of Marvel trying to leech even more money out of it, but add in some extra material and scenes and I'd bite.

Actually, were they to do this, it would be just the opposite of "leeching" in terms of a completist viewpoint, because it would allow people who didn't buy the game to buy a much cheaper mini to get the same story. Overall it would be leeching, but it would negate people who want the "whole story" from having to buy the game.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't see the need for a mini. Just if Silver Sable remembers then we're good. Right?

If Sable remembers and if the next time we see Venom, he has the big white symbol on his chest, then yes, we'd be good.

I haven't read the issue yet and I don't know much about regular Silver Sable, but how well is she and the Wildpack updated? That's one gripe I have with Bendis, a lot of little secondary characters don't get much of an Ultimizaton (like almost everyone from Team-Up).

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't see the need for a mini. Just if Silver Sable remembers then we're good. Right?

Yep, that'd do it. There's still room for an explanation to reconcile the two.

icemastertron said:
YOU can ignore the game all you want. But no matter YOUR choice, it's still in continuity.

I knew there was a reason I loved you besides your great ***!

Shockmuffin said:
If Sable remembers and if the next time we see Venom, he has the big white symbol on his chest, then yes, we'd be good.

Yep.

Steve GMan said:
I haven't read the issue yet and I don't know much about regular Silver Sable, but how well is she and the Wildpack updated? That's one gripe I have with Bendis, a lot of little secondary characters don't get much of an Ultimizaton (like almost everyone from Team-Up).

They're not updated or changed at all, much like Daredevil, Punisher, Man-Thing, etc. Bendis didn't really update anyone in UMTU. The one who got the biggest change was Ultimate Lizard, and that was only a minor cosmetic change.

icemastertron said:
YOU can ignore the game all you want. But no matter YOUR choice, it's still in continuity.

Hey perhaps. But at THIS point, we see now evidence that Silver Sable KNOWS who Spider-Man is.

So what are we gonna assume?

Simplest assumption is a retconning. Occam's razor and all that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back