Ultimate Spider-Man #90 discussion SPOILERS!!

icemastertron said:
Yeah, DB, calm a bit. I made a mistake myself, I admitted it :wink:. To be honest, and really, Im not bull****ng, I was reading with the lights off in my room (I was playing my PS2 at the same time).

I'm calm, I just wasn't sure how you didn't notice the lack of wings and Rogue there before...but now I know.

And Im not sure if time exactly passed since before this issue, there was no movie, than suddenly there is one...

I'm not sure what you mean there. I was just saying that this arc, for the most part, takes place over maybe a couple of days. Of course, there is the "One month earlier" portion in the first issue of the arc when Spidey takes down Omega Red, and an undisclosed amount of time between the last two pages and the rest of the issue in #90, but the bulk of the issue seems to occur over a small portion of time. Meaning to get a movie based on the events of this arc scripted, cast, shot, edited, and aired is going to take some time. Like I said, I was generous in terms of the lack of time it took to get it on TV for the timeline, but its fair to say there's a noticeable amount of time between Spidey's encounters with Silver Sable and Vulture, and him watching that movie on TV. Its not like he just went home that night and started watching it...that'd just be really terrible writing on Bendis' part (though it wouldn't be the first time).

DIrishB said:
I'm not sure what you mean there. I was just saying that this arc, for the most part, takes place over maybe a couple of days. Of course, there is the "One month earlier" portion in the first issue of the arc when Spidey takes down Omega Red, and an undisclosed amount of time between the last two pages and the rest of the issue in #90, but the bulk of the issue seems to occur over a small portion of time. Meaning to get a movie based on the events of this arc scripted, cast, shot, edited, and aired is going to take some time. Like I said, I was generous in terms of the lack of time it took to get it on TV for the timeline, but its fair to say there's a noticeable amount of time between Spidey's encounters with Silver Sable and Vulture, and him watching that movie on TV. Its not like he just went home that night and started watching it...that'd just be really terrible writing on Bendis' part (though it wouldn't be the first time).
Well, my memory falters, so thanks for reminding about that.

We start off where the last issue left off, with Spidey engaging The Vulture while President Roxxon is webbed to the side of the building. Meanwhile, Sharon Carter of SHIELD is cloaked on a nearby building relaying images of the fight to Nick Fury and Tony Stark back at the Triskilon. Stark wants to suit up and help Spider-Man, but Fury tells Stark to hold up while they get an ID for the Vulture. Plus, he reveals that he's testing Parker. Cut back to the fight, we see that Silver Sable and what's left of her Wild Pack are watching the fight between Spider-Man and The Vulture fron the wreckage of the top floor. Sable has a gun and appears to be waiting for a clear shot at the Vulture.

Spider-Man is havig his hands full fighting Vulture, who is using a combination of grenades and razor blades shot from his wings against Spidey, who is managing to barely dodge them all. Back at the Triskilon, Fury finally has an ID for The Vulture. His name is Blackie Drago, and he happens to be a decommisioned SHIELD agent, which doesn't sit well with Fury. Back to the fight, Vulture makes a dive at Roxxon, but Spidey manages to land on Vulture and steer him off course.

Roxxon suddenly gets a call on his cell while he's still webbed to the building. He answers it, and finds that he's talking to the very person who has masterminded all the attacks on his buisiness. The mystery caller begins to taunt Roxxon. Unknown to the caller though, he's being traced by SHIELD, who hears every word. Shifting back to the fight, Vulture finally gets the better of Spidey, but just before he can slash him, Sable finally gets her opening and puts a bullet through Vulture's right shoulder.

The Vulture starts losing control and begins falling to earth. Spidey manages to save The Vulture and keep him from landing on innocent civilians. He webs up Vulture for the police and heads back to where he left Roxxon, only to find that he's not there anymore, and neither is Sable and the Wild Pack. Spidey swings off frustrated that he'll never know what was going on.

Cut to Jersey, SHIELD has traced the call to an old lab and with Iron Man and Fury leading the way, have blown their way in. They find a single guy in a lab coat surrounded by all kinds of high-tech weapons. He identifies himself as Elijah Stern, a former Roxxon employee. When asked if he's an inventor, Elijah responds "I tinker.". Stern explains that he came up with all of Roxxon's technology, but that Roxxon downsized and fired him. He intended to kill Roxxon with technology that he had stole from Roxxon Industries and, using an agency operating out of Malaysia, he hired goons and outfitted them with all their weapons.

Fury then offered Stern, whom he referred to as 'The Tinkerer', that he had two choices. Either work for Fury and do what he says, or Fury will kill him and take his toys anyway. Stern reluctantly agrees to work for Fury. Before leaving, Fury comments on a giant spiked robot in the room, which Stern calls a 'Slayer'. When Fury asks what it Slays, Stern replies "What do you got?".

The next day, Roxxon is being hounded by the press on the way to his limo. But once inside, he finds Silver Sable waiting for him. She demanded her money, which Roxxon said he'd pay. Sable then says if she ever hears from Roxxon again, or if she ever hears her name spoken out loud by SHIELD or the FBI, that she would find Roxxon, and kill him in his sleep.

Cut to Flash Thompson's house. Spider-Man is shown to be talking to Flash, who is armed with a baseball bat. Spidey apologizes to Flash for all he did to him, but Flash doesn't accept. Later that night, Peter is in his living room watching 'Caught in the Spider's Web, The Flash Thompson Story' which is basically making Spidey out to be a criminal. Peter is talking to Kitty Pryde on the phone, where we see that the X-Men are watching the same thing and Wolverine is basically dying from laughter. The next day at school, all the girl's are hitting on Flash, while commenting that Spider-Man might be a janitor, since he 'smells funny', much to Peter's dismay.

VERDICT: A very solid ending to a decent arc. The revelation that the Vulture isn't Adrien Toomes, but Blackie Drago will sit well with fans of the USM video game that worry about continuity. And the debut of the Ultimate Tinkerer is very cool, considering he was one of the lesser villains in 616.

I'm curious to see what Fury has up his sleeve, as this issue strongly hints at some bad things he has in store for Peter. No doubt this will all be explored leading into issue #100. The ending, with Wolverine laughing his head off at Peter wass a nice touch of comedy and a good way to end the issue.

Artwise, Bagley seems to be getting better and better with each issue. His play of color and shadows are great in this issue. And the lighting on Fury's face when he threatened The Tinkerer was great, as it made him look very sinister.

Overall, a very solid issue. I give Bendis credit for Ultimizing The Tinkerer, a villian I never really took seriously. And the thought of seeing the Spider Slayers in the future is really cool. Here's hoping the upcoming Deadpool arc can keep the comic's momentum going!

Score: 5/5

Last edited:
ultimatedjf said:
-Agent Carter turning invisible?

Fury pulled the trick first, back during his first appearance in the second arc of Ultimate X-Men.

I'm guessing they've got more budget now for these sorts of things.

it was pretty good.

4/5

comic_geek21 said:
I give Bagley credit for Ultimizing The Tinkerer, a villian I never really took seriously.
Bagley gets the sole credit? He only drew him. He can get credit for making him look better, but you make it sound like it was only him! :wink:

Dr.Strangefate said:
I'm guessing they've got more budget now for these sorts of things.
They've always had the budget. Remember Fury in Ultimate Extinction #2 said they're budget is bottomless.

icemastertron said:
Bagley gets the sole credit? He only drew him. He can get credit for making him look better, but you make it sound like it was only him! :wink:

Oh crap! I meant to say Bendis! Thanks for the catch there!

Last edited:
Ok....the Vulture bit was kinda disappointing. We all though it was Toomes....but it turns out to be some random ex-SHIELD agent turned thug. I guess this leaves it open for Toomes to procure the suit and become Vulture?

I'm disappointed with this arc. Not "Carnage Arc" disappointed.......but "Hobgoblin Arc" disappointed. That's 2 random ultimazations for this arc...........both of which were weak cameos.

I'm just gonna close with my commentary about issue #89.....

Victor Von Doom said:
Ok......this is hard for me but USM is what got me back into comics.

It's like that 1st new love after an extended leave of absense from the dating game. Everything about them is great! You totally love them! So much that you decide to be together forever.

But then after a while.....they let themselves go. You begin to look at other new, shiny, flashy things. Then they question you as to where has the love gone? Defeated and embarassed....you tell them the truth. You tell them that they're not the same thing you fell in love with. Things change. With a tear in their eye they say they'll change......they'll do better. They try......but it's just not the same. But then you remember the good times you've had and realize that it ain't that easy to throw them away. You have to give them another chance.

So this is a small warning to USM/Bendis......LOCK IT UP! You LOCK IT UP! [/weddingcrasher]

Seriously.....I want to like USM.....but they've just been slacking. I could've done without the current and last 4 arcs.
  • Warriors - Meh......nothing special. Oooooooo....new colors. So what? Just because I spray paint dog **** gold don't mean it's jewelry.
  • Hobgoblin - Not a bad arc.....it just lacked that "umph" to make me care. At least they let Harry be Hobgoblin and not have it be some Johnny No-Good Newcomer
  • Carnage - Way to waste 2critical characters there Bendis.........
  • Superstars - This was just unimpressive. From the 80's "Vice Versa" knock off to Johnny Storm......it just sat there. It was like it was meant to be filler inbetween 2 great big arcs that were gonna change everything for USM.................only the big arcs never came.

I'm really hoping that things pick-up and become great again for issue #100.......but it probably won't.

LOCK IT UP Bendis. LOCK IT UP!

icemastertron said:
They've always had the budget. Remember Fury in Ultimate Extinction #2 said they're budget is bottomless.

They haven't always had a bottomless budget, hence Fury only being able to have limited amounts of time to stay invisible during the UXM Weapon X arc or the end fight in Ultimates (though that might be a power issue as well, but it was specifically stated it had something to do with costs).

icemastertron said:
It wasn't random, the ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. As DIrishB mentioned, that, too, is an ultimization.

Yeah, Blackie Drago was the Vulture II in the 616 universe. I'm not familiar with the circumstances surrounding him becoming the Vulture, and how Toomes took the mantle back, etc, but Blackie Drago was indeed the Vulture. Perhaps not the same character you're used to, but one of the characters nonetheless...well, in the 616 universe anyway. I kind of like how he faked us out like that. We all assumed it would be Toomes after his appearance in the game. Perhaps Bendis planned it that way, at least once the game was released. And we will be seeing more of Toomes in the future anyway, Bendis confirmed this, so we'll see what happens. For now, Blackie ain't doing so hot.

DIrishB said:
They haven't always had a bottomless budget, hence Fury only being able to have limited amounts of time to stay invisible during the UXM Weapon X arc or the end fight in Ultimates (though that might be a power issue as well, but it was specifically stated it had something to do with costs).
Oh yeah.

Well, they always had it since Fury said it in UE #2 than. :p

:lol:

Lots of people raving about this, and from what I've read, it sounds horrible. :?

ProjectX2 said:
Lots of people raving about this, and from what I've read, it sounds horrible. :?

It was good. Not as good as Warriors, but still a good story.

I was a little disappointed with the ending. The dialogue between Fury and Tinkerer was a little amatuerish. But it was interesting seeing the character. It looks kind of like Bendis is going in the same sort of direction he did with Secret War...and that's fine with me.

Vulture was a little disappointing; not much substance. Of course we have the groundwork, so hopefully something is done with him.

I had to groan when I saw the Spider-Slayers...I was collecting when they appeared in Amazing (I don't know if it was their first appearance; it was the one where Peter's parents 'returned from the dead' :roll: ). Anyway, the story was terrible.

Interestingly, Bagley was on Amazing at the time. The story was bad in spite of him.

So, yeah. 3.5/5. Decent ending. 3.8/5 for the arc overall.

UltimateE said:
It was good. Not as good as Warriors, but still a good story.

I was a little disappointed with the ending. The dialogue between Fury and Tinkerer was a little amatuerish. But it was interesting seeing the character. It looks kind of like Bendis is going in the same sort of direction he did with Secret War...and that's fine with me.

Vulture was a little disappointing; not much substance. Of course we have the groundwork, so hopefully something is done with him.

I had to groan when I saw the Spider-Slayers...I was collecting when they appeared in Amazing (I don't know if it was their first appearance; it was the one where Peter's parents 'returned from the dead' :roll: ). Anyway, the story was terrible.

Interestingly, Bagley was on Amazing at the time. The story was bad in spite of him.

So, yeah. 3.5/5. Decent ending. 3.8/5 for the arc overall.

You and your decimal ratings. I mean, how does one wittle down a rating to within a decimal place? Is it like some rating Richter Scale?

DIrishB said:
You and your decimal ratings. I mean, how does one wittle down a rating to within a decimal place? Is it like some rating Richter Scale?

I could explain, but it is far too brilliantly scientific for your feeble mind.

*Slaps self on forehead*

Cartman said:
I hate you guys

3 pages and it's mostly arguing about UXM and I have no idea what's going on because NO ONE EXPLAINS ANYTHING ON THIS BOARD!!!!!!! :arrgh:

Ultimate Central members (except me) said:
Oh, man that was sweet!! And UXM is cool because remember that one time...
:furious:

You read the comic! Let us in on it!

TheManWithoutFear said:
*Slaps self on forehead*

3 pages and it's mostly arguing about UXM and I have no idea what's going on because NO ONE EXPLAINS ANYTHING ON THIS BOARD!!!!!!! :arrgh:

:furious:

You read the comic! Let us in on it!

Dude, what the hell are you talking about. We got this huge summary on the page before...how'd you miss this?

comic_geek21 said:
We start off where the last issue left off, with Spidey engaging The Vulture while President Roxxon is webbed to the side of the building. Meanwhile, Sharon Carter of SHIELD is cloaked on a nearby building relaying images of the fight to Nick Fury and Tony Stark back at the Triskilon. Stark wants to suit up and help Spider-Man, but Fury tells Stark to hold up while they get an ID for the Vulture. Plus, he reveals that he's testing Parker. Cut back to the fight, we see that Silver Sable and what's left of her Wild Pack are watching the fight between Spider-Man and The Vulture fron the wreckage of the top floor. Sable has a gun and appears to be waiting for a clear shot at the Vulture.

Spider-Man is havig his hands full fighting Vulture, who is using a combination of grenades and razor blades shot from his wings against Spidey, who is managing to barely dodge them all. Back at the Triskilon, Fury finally has an ID for The Vulture. His name is Blackie Drago, and he happens to be a decommisioned SHIELD agent, which doesn't sit well with Fury. Back to the fight, Vulture makes a dive at Roxxon, but Spidey manages to land on Vulture and steer him off course.

Roxxon suddenly gets a call on his cell while he's still webbed to the building. He answers it, and finds that he's talking to the very person who has masterminded all the attacks on his buisiness. The mystery caller begins to taunt Roxxon. Unknown to the caller though, he's being traced by SHIELD, who hears every word. Shifting back to the fight, Vulture finally gets the better of Spidey, but just before he can slash him, Sable finally gets her opening and puts a bullet through Vulture's right shoulder.

The Vulture starts losing control and begins falling to earth. Spidey manages to save The Vulture and keep him from landing on innocent civilians. He webs up Vulture for the police and heads back to where he left Roxxon, only to find that he's not there anymore, and neither is Sable and the Wild Pack. Spidey swings off frustrated that he'll never know what was going on.

Cut to Jersey, SHIELD has traced the call to an old lab and with Iron Man and Fury leading the way, have blown their way in. They find a single guy in a lab coat surrounded by all kinds of high-tech weapons. He identifies himself as Elijah Stern, a former Roxxon employee. When asked if he's an inventor, Elijah responds "I tinker.". Stern explains that he came up with all of Roxxon's technology, but that Roxxon downsized and fired him. He intended to kill Roxxon with technology that he had stole from Roxxon Industries and, using an agency operating out of Malaysia, he hired goons and outfitted them with all their weapons.

Fury then offered Stern, whom he referred to as 'The Tinkerer', that he had two choices. Either work for Fury and do what he says, or Fury will kill him and take his toys anyway. Stern reluctantly agrees to work for Fury. Before leaving, Fury comments on a giant spiked robot in the room, which Stern calls a 'Slayer'. When Fury asks what it Slays, Stern replies "What do you got?".

The next day, Roxxon is being hounded by the press on the way to his limo. But once inside, he finds Silver Sable waiting for him. She demanded her money, which Roxxon said he'd pay. Sable then says if she ever hears from Roxxon again, or if she ever hears her name spoken out loud by SHIELD or the FBI, that she would find Roxxon, and kill him in his sleep.

Cut to Flash Thompson's house. Spider-Man is shown to be talking to Flash, who is armed with a baseball bat. Spidey apologizes to Flash for all he did to him, but Flash doesn't accept. Later that night, Peter is in his living room watching 'Caught in the Spider's Web, The Flash Thompson Story' which is basically making Spidey out to be a criminal. Peter is talking to Kitty Pryde on the phone, where we see that the X-Men are watching the same thing and Wolverine is basically dying from laughter. The next day at school, all the girl's are hitting on Flash, while commenting that Spider-Man might be a janitor, since he 'smells funny', much to Peter's dismay.

VERDICT: A very solid ending to a decent arc. The revelation that the Vulture isn't Adrien Toomes, but Blackie Drago will sit well with fans of the USM video game that worry about continuity. And the debut of the Ultimate Tinkerer is very cool, considering he was one of the lesser villains in 616.

I'm curious to see what Fury has up his sleeve, as this issue strongly hints at some bad things he has in store for Peter. No doubt this will all be explored leading into issue #100. The ending, with Wolverine laughing his head off at Peter wass a nice touch of comedy and a good way to end the issue.

Artwise, Bagley seems to be getting better and better with each issue. His play of color and shadows are great in this issue. And the lighting on Fury's face when he threatened The Tinkerer was great, as it made him look very sinister.

Overall, a very solid issue. I give Bendis credit for Ultimizing The Tinkerer, a villian I never really took seriously. And the thought of seeing the Spider Slayers in the future is really cool. Here's hoping the upcoming Deadpool arc can keep the comic's momentum going!

Score: 5/5

Next time make sure your *****ing is warranted, otherwise you sound like Doc Comic.

Latest posts

Back