Ultimate Spider-Man #93 discussion (spoilers)

the watcher

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
6,530
This Issue is at lease decent. It starts off with our new host, Augustus Beezer. He says the reason their doing this it to teach mutants who is boss. That man kind will not just sit back and let these "things" take over. It goes back and forth between the studio, the Island and a prerecording of Deadpool. During this Kitty is scared that Spidey is going to break up with him because she got him into this. The Reavers then take down Cyclops and go after Angel. Nightcralwer puffed into the cod pit and knock out the pilot. On Deadpool's word they shoot him down. They fire upon Kitty and Spidey, Kitty phases them though the blast. Spidey then goes after Deadpool, in the end Spidey rips off his mask and we see Deadpool is really...
Professor-X!! :

shock: He then tells them too run!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #93 Spoiler

Reavers/Deadpool hunt Spider-Man/X-Men for most of it with Augustus Beezer (why not ultimize someone for this?) gives a live broadcast to Genosha.

Deadpool is former military whose ragtag buddies volunteered to be genetic freaks. I like the explanation about why they hate mutants. Basically, they believe it's unfair some people are born "homo superior". They believe it must be earned. They compare the Reavers to mutants but that they were man enough to give up their humanity to kill the mutants.

Kitty is turning annoying. She's constantly apologizing to Peter and it just sucks. Kitty was cool when they first hooked up, right?

Yeah, so the issue was basically a lot of cat & mouse with scenes focusing on Cyclops (who got taken down), Angel (who was hit but lost), Nightcrawler (teleporting away at the right moment), and Storm kicking ***, and Spider-Man being funny and Kitty being stupid.

They all come full circle and find each other fighting off the Reavers again. Spider-Man takes out Deadpool and pulls his mask off to reveal Xavier (which is more stupifying than actually cool) I can't wait till they explain this one.

But good issue. Deadpool is very different from 616 but I like the character we're given here.

He talks in yellow this issue too :rockon:

3.5/5
 

Hi-Fi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
113
Location
Brazil
Where's Rogue and Jean in this?

Still no Iceman, right?
 
Last edited:

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Hi-Fi said:
Where's Rogue and Jean in this?

Srill no Iceman, right?

Umm... Rogue's powers are wrong.... she's flying and hitting big robots with her fists... Bendis goofed. :? Or maybe Bagley did because she doesn't say anything and just appears in some panels.

Jean appears in one panel and disappears. They're all seperated so they could be lost. No sign of Iceman still.
 

Hi-Fi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
113
Location
Brazil
TheManWithoutFear said:
Umm... Rogue's powers are wrong.... she's flying and hitting big robots with her fists... Bendis goofed. :? Or maybe Bagley did because she doesn't say anything and just appears in some panels.


WTF??? That's a really, really big mistake, not just some little error. Rgue never had that kind of power. Lazy research, Bendis...didn't he write UXM anyway??


Is she still in the run or do they take her down?

And thanks for the answers,tmwf.
 

E.Vi.L.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
1,276
Location
Montréal
Yeah, this continue in the vein of being a fun and action filled arc.

I was amused by the "broacasting" POV that we get through most of the issue.

I gotta say, I did NOT anticipate the cliffhanger.

But I'm guessing Deadpool is just using the same gadget/power that allowed him to impersonate the X-Men in USM 91.

All in all I'm having fun reading USM.

4/5

Rogue appears in only 3 panels. I wouldn't say she flies, I'm thinking it's more supposed to come off as Gambit style high octane acrobatics. But I have to admit that in the second panel she appears in, it can certainly be interpreted like flying instead of as 'cirque du soleil' acrobatics. The other two are cleary jumping, though. As for punching, that's something Gambit would do from time to time. But it's undeniable that seeing her use the signature kinetic powers at least once would be a helluva less confusing. Come on, just once!
 
Last edited:

MaxwellSmart

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
3,335
Location
SoCal
I'll be shocked if Deadpool isn't a shape shifter. It seems kind of obvious. I can't see how anyone could entertain the idea that Proffesor X to the roll of mutant hunting mercanary.

P.S. Where's Colossus in the issue?
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Colossus is there too.

You guys have to keep in mind this is a Spider-Man comic. I'll give you the list of whose there but Bendis isn't gonna give the spotlight to characters that won't build up Peter's scenerios.

Cyclops
Colossus
Jean
Storm
Rogue
Angel
Kitty
Nightcrawler
 

Hi-Fi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
113
Location
Brazil
TheManWithoutFear said:
Colossus is there too.

You guys have to keep in mind this is a Spider-Man comic. I'll give you the list of whose there but Bendis isn't gonna give the spotlight to characters that won't build up Peter's scenerios.

Cyclops
Colossus
Jean
Storm
Rogue
Angel
Kitty
Nightcrawler

You're right about character spotlight. That being said, we gotta ask what the hell is Angel doing there? The team is already pretty big and I don't think his presence is essential.:roll:
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
Awesome issue. Good action and it was a fun read. :)


Of course, no surprise of Iceman not actually being there. :roll:


Still, 4/5.


Also, no spoilers needed in a spoiler thread.
 
Last edited:

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
1.5/5. That's probably being too generous.

The broadcast narration was beyond obnoxious, the cliffhanger was lame, and this is...wrong. This is an X-Men story. As I'm reading this, I feel like I'm reading X-Men. If I wanted to read X-Men, I'd be reading X-Men.

Guest stars are fine and they've been done pretty well for the most part in this book. But it reads like Spider-Man is guest-starring in his own book.

As for Deadpool...meh. I will never understand the appeal.

The whole premise of why Deadpool hates mutants is just boring and unoriginal.

Blech.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
43,800
Location
The World of Icelandia.
E said:
Guest stars are fine and they've been done pretty well for the most part in this book. But it reads like Spider-Man is guest-starring in his own book.
I do feel like that, too, thinking about it.

:(
 

Ultimate Deadpool

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
909
Location
DEADPOOL, inc.
E said:
As for Deadpool...meh. I will never understand the appeal.

Ok, your anti-Deadpoolism is becoming a real buzzkill.
We get it, you don't like Deadpool. Though you don't have to understand the appeal. All the cool people in life just like Deadpool, while all the dorks like... whoever you like.
 
Last edited:

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Ultimate Deadpool said:
Ok, your anti-Deadpoolism is becoming a real buzzkill.
We get it, you don't like Deadpool. Though you don't have to understand the appeal. All the cool people in life just like Deadpool, while all the dorks like... whoever you like.

You are so sad.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
E said:
1.5/5. That's probably being too generous.

The broadcast narration was beyond obnoxious, the cliffhanger was lame, and this is...wrong. This is an X-Men story. As I'm reading this, I feel like I'm reading X-Men. If I wanted to read X-Men, I'd be reading X-Men.

Guest stars are fine and they've been done pretty well for the most part in this book. But it reads like Spider-Man is guest-starring in his own book.

As for Deadpool...meh. I will never understand the appeal.

The whole premise of why Deadpool hates mutants is just boring and unoriginal.

Blech.
:evil: I disagree with about all of it.

I loved the broadcasting, I thought it gave the issue a little tension. I already said that the reason the x-men that everyone want showcased is because it's a Spider-Man book. So it reads like Spidey to me.

This is in no way, not even close to 616 Deadpool. I think the reason Wadely Wilson doesn't like mutants "because you have to earn your stripes" is something I haven't read before against mutants in the Ultimate Universe.
 

Goodwill

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
12,818
Location
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know what to say about this issue... I mean, for the most part, I enjoyed it but there is definitely something wrong with it.

I think E nailed it - this is not a Spider-Man story. This is very much an X-Men story that does not fit with what is currently taking shape in USM. Like, this story should've been made more relevant... For instance, this would have been a cool story if this exposed Spider-Man's identity to the world by the end of this issue. The relationship with Peter and Kitty isn't really emphasized and I feel like this is just an arc having fun with something Bendis has always wanted to write.

Not that that is a huge problem, though. I enjoy it for what it is.

There are gripes that I have, though.

Deadpool. I thought he was supposed to be a funny guy. The way all of you played him up to be was vastly different from what we got out of him this issue. I didn't find anything he said remotely funny... It was him just being retarded, really. His dialogue reminded me of Ben Stiller, who I don't really find funny. Bendis is trying too hard. Spider-Man is coming off as a more colorful character... He's playing off of the obsurdity of the situation, which is pretty neat.

Also, I didn't like the ending... That wasn't necessary.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Goodwill said:
I don't know what to say about this issue... I mean, for the most part, I enjoyed it but there is definitely something wrong with it.

I think E nailed it - this is not a Spider-Man story. This is very much an X-Men story that does not fit with what is currently taking shape in USM. Like, this story should've been made more relevant... For instance, this would have been a cool story if this exposed Spider-Man's identity to the world by the end of this issue. The relationship with Peter and Kitty isn't really emphasized and I feel like this is just an arc having fun with something Bendis has always wanted to write.

Not that that is a huge problem, though. I enjoy it for what it is.

There are gripes that I have, though.

Deadpool. I thought he was supposed to be a funny guy. The way all of you played him up to be was vastly different from what we got out of him this issue. I didn't find anything he said remotely funny... It was him just being retarded, really. His dialogue reminded me of Ben Stiller, who I don't really find funny. Bendis is trying too hard. Spider-Man is coming off as a more colorful character... He's playing off of the obsurdity of the situation, which is pretty neat.

Also, I didn't like the ending... That wasn't necessary.

Your right, he's not funny at all. I completely agree. And by the end of this I'll probably chalk this one of as one of the most wasted ultimizations ever. I like the character just not as "Deadpool".

Ben Stiller's funny though...

Also, I really hated the ending too. I didn't like the whole shape-shifting thing to begin with. Why not just create Ultimate Morph out this whole mess?
 

Ultimate Deadpool

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
909
Location
DEADPOOL, inc.
E said:
You are so sad.

Y-you're right! All this time, I've just been unhappy... lol. Hey, whatever you have to say to make yourself feel better. And if it works, then please, say it a few more times to stop yourself from crying yourself to sleep.

Haha, just jokes, spanky. But seriously. I don't think there's a single "Deadpool" topic that you don't exibit your dislike of Deadpool a few dozen times.
 

marvelman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,641
Location
OHIO!
Ultimate Deadpool [not=] Professor X

...

Ultimate Deadpool = Ultimate Cassandra Nova.
 

Latest posts

Top