Ultimate Spider-Man #93 discussion (spoilers)

Deadpool himself might be a mutant of some sort, no?
I'd appreciate his being a bit more funny, but less "Goofy" than 616 Deadpool.
I don't know what to make of the story as a whole - it seems quite "tossed together" to me. Deadpool doesn't seem to belong with these Reavers, and both of these 616-X-book elements (and the island) appearing in a Spiderman book smacks to me of a gimmick-meter hitting "Hollywood Script" levels.
The wasted page-spreads are about as satifying as the full page somewhere in Ultimate: Secret of the wall of a shield building (the other page of that two-page spread is little better ... some shadows and a launching rocket.)
Kitty is getting annoying — the line between "endearing insecurity" and "mental illness" has been crossed here.
All that aside, though, Spiderman's take on the situation is great. He's totally blown away by the HATE, and he's made the arc worth reading for me. Oh, and deadpool's got yellow boxes. So long as there is that, there is hope...
and I'll withhold judgement on the "Wasted Ultimization" charges until the end, but I suspect there may be some truth to that.

I think there's still room for Deadpool to become the "merc-with-the-mouth", however, I'm just not seeing it now. Perhaps it's because Bendis thought his introduction and origin was more important. Personally, I thought his origin was cool - just not for a USM arc. I did think the whole part where Deadpool just said "I want to get Spider-Man more than the X-Men now" was Bendis realizing fans would see through this obscure idea... Oh, well, it's a fun enough read regardless.

This issue makes me wanna slit my wrist open and bleed everywhere. That way I have to clean up the blood----thus giving me something better to do with my time instead of reading Bendis's USM.

Hurry up and switch writers.

.5 outta 5.

The .5 is for the twist ending...

Victor Von Doom said:
No. I actually enjoyed UIM more than this.

That statement alone can get me banned. :lol:

It wasn't THAT bad!

Well, it was close. Not quite though.

Ice said:
Keep dreaming, cuz that's never going to happen as long as Bendis is writing comics.

You never know...we know for sure Bendis and Bagley are trying to beat Lee and Kirby's run of 106 straight issues...that'll be sometime early next year. Of course, they'll probably stay on awhile after breaking the 106 issue mark to possibly cement their record better, so we could look at Bendis on this title for at least another two years, possibly more depending on the powers that be. Kind of disheartening, actually.

DIrishB said:
You never know...we know for sure Bendis and Bagley are trying to beat Lee and Kirby's run of 106 straight issues...that'll be sometime early next year. Of course, they'll probably stay on awhile after breaking the 106 issue mark to possibly cement their record better, so we could look at Bendis on this title for at least another two years, possibly more depending on the powers that be. Kind of disheartening, actually.
He did say he'll stay on as long as he can, and I doubt even after breaking the record he'll soon be off.

Anyways, that's talk for another thread.

I'm pretty sure Bendis is just writing crappy stories to pass the record.

Ice said:
He did say he'll stay on as long as he can, and I doubt even after breaking the record he'll soon be off.

My sentiments exactly, Watson!

*adjusts spectacle*

Yeah, yeah...

ProjectX2 said:
I'm pretty sure Bendis is just writing crappy stories to pass the record.

I would have to agree. Carnage, Superstars, and Hobgoblin were all lame in their own way, and then we got a ray of hope with Warriors (least I did) and the Annual was an ok read...but then Silver Sable started the downward trend again. Deadpool hasn't impressed me at all, and I become increasingly annoyed with each issue. We're 3 issues into a 4 issue arc, and the story really hasn't advanced at all between the beginning of the second issue to the end of the third. The whole Professor X thing will just be explained away as some lame smoke and mirrors on the part of Deadpool, etc. This arc was a total waste in terms of introducing what could have been a great character in the Ultimate universe as well...while there's definitly still room for that to happen down the road, Bendis hasn't accomplished diddley-squat with the character...thats right, I said it: "Diddley-squat, mutha****ers!!" I'm still looking forward to the Morbius arc and the Countdown to #100, but with much less enthusiasm than I did a year ago. This title has lost almost all of its steam in my opinion, and is in severe need of some new blood.

Sorry to get off topic a bit, but this is all related to my disappointment with not only USM #93, but the title in general for awhile. It was just compounded by my general dislike of #93.

Ice said:

I know, I know, I know off topic. But I will just say this. Bendis has said that he is shooting for issue one twenty. Then Bagley & himself are moving on.
So that's not to long from now... Maybe we should start a thread of who we want to replace them.

TheManWithoutFear said:
No. It's way too soon. That's over 2 years from now.

True, but he could finish early and just give up after just passing Stan's record.

I actually really liked the Silver Sable arc. It was a slow arc in the beginning, but with the appearance of Vulture and the explanations given in the issue before that I thought it was a pretty solid arc.

Deadpool. is just dragging, though. It would have been better if there was more of a focus on Peter and Kitty and not Deadpool.

Beezer said in this issue: "Deadpool is the nickname Sergeant Wadey Wilson picked up after his death-defying action in the Wakanda wars in the early nineties."

Was this the first mention of Wakanda in the UU? I don't remember it being mentioned anywhere else.

I'm sure it's just a throwaway line from Bendis, it's not like he's going to elaborate on the "Wakanda wars" any further, but still. Wouldn't mind Wakanda and Ultimate Black Panther making an appearance at some point.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back