Ultimate Spider-Man #93 discussion (spoilers)

Goodwill said:
Deadpool. I thought he was supposed to be a funny guy. The way all of you played him up to be was vastly different from what we got out of him this issue. I didn't find anything he said remotely funny... It was him just being retarded, really. His dialogue reminded me of Ben Stiller, who I don't really find funny. Bendis is trying too hard. Spider-Man is coming off as a more colorful character... He's playing off of the obsurdity of the situation, which is pretty neat.

Please, for the love of all that's holy, go read a 616 Deadpool comic.

Here's a little taste of what Deadpool's humor is like...

http://img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=192gw.jpg
http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=203ss.jpg

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Are you kidding me? He turns Rhino into a keychain and carries him around the entire issue. It's brilliant.

Damn straight! And the stuff that happened between them, comedic gold!

But, damn near everything Deadpool does is comedic gold. And yet he finds the time to be a total badass... you have to admire him.

Ultimate Deadpool said:
Y-you're right! All this time, I've just been unhappy... lol. Hey, whatever you have to say to make yourself feel better. And if it works, then please, say it a few more times to stop yourself from crying yourself to sleep.

Haha, just jokes, spanky. But seriously. I don't think there's a single "Deadpool" topic that you don't exibit your dislike of Deadpool a few dozen times.

"Seriously", you're the one calling names because someone doesn't like Deadpool...how sad is that?

And "seriously", I don't recall commenting in any thread other than the one announcing him in USM, and saying that of all the quotes people have made and pictures they've posted, not a single one has been funny.

I'm sorry you take personal offense at that. :lol:

E.Vi.L. said:

It's not that funny either.

Glad it's not just me. I was starting to get a complex. :D

After this thread and reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool

I'm getting really interested in 616 Deadpool. The whole "Breaking the Fourth Wall" thing is awesome. Deadpool actually knows he's in a comic book. And those panels are cool too.

"I wonder if i still think in those little yellow boxes"

"Oo hello little yellow boxes, what fuin we shall have"

This is going off topic. Deadpool deserves his own thread but we'll continue anyway.

The whole 4th wall thing is totally against anything I'm for reading in comics. But Deadpool is so good at it and the lines are timed so well and sporadically, it's just so cool.

Well Deadpool's ability to shapeshift isn't new to Bendis. Just reading the Wikipedia article it noted that early on in 616 Deadpool had an image inducer. It could be as simple as that, especially given the technological make up of his team.

But overall I've been underwhelmed by this Ultimization. I was giving it room until this issue, but as of right now, Ultimate Deadpool is not funny, his motivation is tired.... and I can't wait for this arc to be over. It had promise right up until say the middle 0f 92.... but that's it.

E said:
The broadcast narration was beyond obnoxious, the cliffhanger was lame, and this is...wrong.

that narration part really ticked me off, it felt like i was reading a freaking issue from Powers, (who killed retro girl). when they go into retro girls history, and i was reading the whole deadpool thing, but thinking its was about retro girl, thats how similar it was. and im a spidy fan, have been for a long time...but this issue, i'll admit was funny at times, but still felt like it was REALLY out of place.

and the irony at the end was funny, lame, but funny.

E said:
1.5/5. That's probably being too generous.

The broadcast narration was beyond obnoxious, the cliffhanger was lame, and this is...wrong. This is an X-Men story. As I'm reading this, I feel like I'm reading X-Men. If I wanted to read X-Men, I'd be reading X-Men.

Guest stars are fine and they've been done pretty well for the most part in this book. But it reads like Spider-Man is guest-starring in his own book.

As for Deadpool...meh. I will never understand the appeal.

The whole premise of why Deadpool hates mutants is just boring and unoriginal.

Blech.

That pretty much sums up my whole view on the arc...I'm just not impressed, and am more looking forward for this to be over with so we can get on with Morbius and the "Countdown to 100" arc...whatever it'll be called.

Ultimate Deadpool said:
Ok, your anti-Deadpoolism is becoming a real buzzkill.
We get it, you don't like Deadpool. Though you don't have to understand the appeal. All the cool people in life just like Deadpool, while all the dorks like... whoever you like.

Didn't Deadpool, like, die when Carnage ate him?

Truth.

Goodwill said:
I think E nailed it - this is not a Spider-Man story. This is very much an X-Men story that does not fit with what is currently taking shape in USM.

And not even a decent X-Men arc, at that. Its crap, honestly.

I'll give this one a 2/5...

Last edited:
:?

Well, I really liked it. The art was a blast, almost everything being a two page spread. And I also really liked the cliffhanger. Kind of reminded me of Spider-Man: HoM tho. *shudders*

I don't know, guys. I really liked it.

4/5

ultimatedjf said:
:?

Well, I really liked it. The art was a blast, almost everything being a two page spread. And I also really liked the cliffhanger. Kind of reminded me of Spider-Man: HoM tho. *shudders*

I don't know, guys. I really liked it.

4/5
I thought that was incredibly annoying. Every other page was like that one splash of them battleing in a jungle.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I thought that was incredibly annoying. Every other page was like that one splash of them battleing in a jungle.

Combined with all the 2-page ad spreads, it just made for an obnoxious book.

Nurhachi said:
After this thread and reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool

I'm getting really interested in 616 Deadpool. The whole "Breaking the Fourth Wall" thing is awesome. Deadpool actually knows he's in a comic book. And those panels are cool too.

"I wonder if i still think in those little yellow boxes"

"Oo hello little yellow boxes, what fuin we shall have"

It always excites me to see an up-and-coming Deadpool fan. I promise, you won't be disappointed!

Those two page spreads do get a little confusing. I'm so used to reading one page at a time, that those two-pagers kinda creep up on me.

I think Ultimate Deadpool is using an image inducer, since he didn't talk to Spider-Man in issue #91. I've yet to get issue #93, but I'm sure he wasn't talking when he was "revealed" to be Professor X.

I'm pretty pained that Ultimate Deadpool is hardly humorous. With the way Bendis writes Spider-Man/Ultimate Spider-Man, it should be a cake-walk for him. Especially since Ultimate Spider-Man's jokes are similar to the jokes Deadpool often makes... except less deranged.

There's still one more issue in the arc. Lets hope we get all of our answers revealed. Ultimate Deadpool's history, his abilities, and his personality. As I said, I haven't read issue #93, but it seems as though little to nothing has been revealed in that issue.

Latest posts

Back