Ultimate Spider-Man #97 discussion (spoilers)

...Or we could assume that the kidnapper is another one of Peter's clones... In which case I would probably kill myself. I hope it doesn't come down to finding out the kidnapper and who is behind all the cloning until the end. That would be silly.

Goodwill said:
...Or we could assume that the kidnapper is another one of Peter's clones... In which case I would probably kill myself. I hope it doesn't come down to finding out the kidnapper and who is behind all the cloning until the end. That would be silly.
thhanging.gif

Be prepared. Cause I think it's that Or kitty.

Last edited:
Ice said:
You make very good points. Especially on the kidnapper. The hiding in the closet isn't really bad, but the no glove thing? That's bad. He's leaving evidence on MJ and anything he's touched.
moment... wasn't Essex working for OSCORP? maybe the one who did the Whole clone stuff gave one helping hand the stuff that made him inmvible to anything but the naked eye

Last edited:
Norman Osborn, perhaps?

When I saw the arm, I actually thought of Doctor Octopus... Yes, I realize he is incarcerated.

Ben Reilly will inevitably have a role in this story, I'm sure. Afterall, he was the one who took off with the blood sample, right? Anything could have happened to it since the Carnage Arc, including mass producing Peter's clones. I think it is too obvious for it to be Reilly, though... Not sure if Bendis and I are on the same page, though. :roll: I mean, SCORPION as Peter PARKER?

George Castanza - You know... WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY WHERE WE'RE SUPPOSED TO ACT CIVILIZED!

Hey guys,

I feel like I am one of the few who really liked this issue. I guess I am too much of a fan of spidey to not still love this title, hehe.

But at any rate! The art and coloring was really good. The inking was horrid though. Scorpions design, I honestly really thought it was a good tweak to the original. I have no problem with it being a peter clone, I just hope they don't just drop him. I don't want someone else to get the costume, I just hope the crazy Peter clone gets disfigured or stays around or something. Peter scorpion > Kaine (not that I didn't like Kaine). Truth be told, I first got into comics, spider-man specifically during the original clone saga, so I am very biased as I have a soft spot for the scarlet spider and so forth.

At any rate, I don't want Peter and Mj to get back together yet. NOt one bit. Not at all. Aggh, I am one of the aforementioned fanboys who wants to see something different in the ultimate universe. I don't really care if he stays with kitty, she was kind of annoying (in a funny way) in this issue. Maryjane is cool, but I don't want them to be married before he's even out of high school.

The guy who kidnapped her looked kind of big, more like a full grown man..and unless the inker really screwed up, he had hairy arms. Big hands too. So if it's a peter clone it's either ultimate kaine or a very bad mix up in the test tubes.

4.5/5 I'm interested - really interested - in an arc again.

I enjoyed the issue too, Rawb. So don't worry you're not alone. I also loved the Annual with Kitty. However, over the past month or so I've been thinking, and after this issue, I'm want Peter to be back with Mary Jane. The stories with a Peter/Kitty relationship would obviously be richer, but (especially after this issue) there's no denying that MJ's much smarter and more mature than Kitty. The dialogue between them at the end of #96 and in the mall scene this issue just showed off not only that Bendis is an excellent writer but that Peter and MJ totally belong together.

Hellharlequin said:
moment... wasn't Essex working for OSCORP? maybe the one who did the Whole clone stuff gave one helping hand the stuff that made him inmvible to anything but the naked eye
I don't remember that.

And also, with him being invisible to the naked eye was through cameras and stuff. I don't think it was mentioned about fingerprints...

Ice said:
I don't remember that.

And also, with him being invisible to the naked eye was through cameras and stuff. I don't think it was mentioned about fingerprints...

Wolverine said, "I got Jack, which is the scary part. I just vidited all the crime scenes, and I didn't find a thing...no scent, no tracks, no nothing. Even the security cams I checked caugh squat. I don't know what this guy is, but he ain't human. Seems like he's invisible to everything but the naked eye, lets him live way off the grid."

This was a huge improvement that I've been looking for since that depressing Deadpool arc. Spidey is back to what works best for him, juggling normal life and his heroics. I find the Scorpion as Peter's clone as a good idea. Frankly, if they used Mac Gargan, this would have been surely a throwaway story since Spidey will just beat his *** and leave him to cops. Finito.

As a Peter clone, Spidey can't do the same thing. I'm surprised that many readers are automatically calling Scorpion another throwaway villain since the final scene with them only reveals that he's a clone, not what Spidey plans to do with him afterwards. He can't leave Scorpy to the cops, if he does, Peter Parker will land in jail and his life will be ruined.

I have strong feelings that Miles Warren has something to do with this. It seems that Scorpion's motives for attacking the mall was to make a large enough ruckus then reveal himself as Peter Parker, for the reason why, no idea. But I think that Miles hypnotized this Parker clone to do this directive and that is why he went nuts when Spidey was there and was going to botch his mission objective.

I'm enjoying the first issue. I just hope this quality of work remains consistent to the end. I believe most USM readers were praising the first issue of Deadpool only to have everything go downhill afterwards. No one commenting on the letters page? I think Bendis responded to every question we had for the Deadpool arc there.

ultimatedjf said:
I enjoyed the issue too, Rawb. So don't worry you're not alone. I also loved the Annual with Kitty. However, over the past month or so I've been thinking, and after this issue, I'm want Peter to be back with Mary Jane. The stories with a Peter/Kitty relationship would obviously be richer, but (especially after this issue) there's no denying that MJ's much smarter and more mature than Kitty. The dialogue between them at the end of #96 and in the mall scene this issue just showed off not only that Bendis is an excellent writer but that Peter and MJ totally belong together.

But he's a teenager...who marries they're high school gf?AFter all 616 Spiedy date qwen threw most of his High school years.

cmdrjanjalani said:
This was a huge improvement that I've been looking for since that depressing Deadpool arc. Spidey is back to what works best for him, juggling normal life and his heroics. I find the Scorpion as Peter's clone as a good idea. Frankly, if they used Mac Gargan, this would have been surely a throwaway story since Spidey will just beat his *** and leave him to cops. Finito.

As a Peter clone, Spidey can't do the same thing. I'm surprised that many readers are automatically calling Scorpion another throwaway villain since the final scene with them only reveals that he's a clone, not what Spidey plans to do with him afterwards. He can't leave Scorpy to the cops, if he does, Peter Parker will land in jail and his life will be ruined.

I have strong feelings that Miles Warren has something to do with this. It seems that Scorpion's motives for attacking the mall was to make a large enough ruckus then reveal himself as Peter Parker, for the reason why, no idea. But I think that Miles hypnotized this Parker clone to do this directive and that is why he went nuts when Spidey was there and was going to botch his mission objective.

I'm enjoying the first issue. I just hope this quality of work remains consistent to the end. I believe most USM readers were praising the first issue of Deadpool only to have everything go downhill afterwards. No one commenting on the letters page? I think Bendis responded to every question we had for the Deadpool arc there.

and did you see the guy with the Ultimate Green Goblin Tatoo?

Last edited:
Venom Melendez said:
But he's a teenager...who marries they're high school gf?AFter all 616 Spiedy date qwen threw most of his High school years.

Many people marry their high school sweetheart. So its not totally uncommon.

Besides....Peter loves MJ. Both Peter and MJ have said that they wanna marry each other. I don't even know how marriage plays into this? :?

Victor Von Doom said:
Many people marry their high school sweetheart. So its not totally uncommon.

Besides....Peter loves MJ. Both Peter and MJ have said that they wanna marry each other. I don't even know how marriage plays into this? :?

Just saying teen are just starting to know love at that stage.its too early to say she's the one. Know what i mean?

But you are rigth and hey chances are if 616 Gwen not died he would have married her insted of MJ.im just saying he should probably date around a bit.

Last edited:
Ultimate Warrior said:
That's what I'm hoping for. Go Kaine! The only good thing that came out of the 616 Clone Saga :D

I'm expecting Ultimate Jackal, personally. . .

Ultimate Warrior said:
That's what I'm hoping for. Go Kaine! The only good thing that came out of the 616 Clone Saga :D

Kaine was in the first comic that I ever bought. (I was probably 6 or 7.) It was the start of a four or five parter, and the last panel showed two construction workers finding the skeleton of "Spider-Man" at the bottom of that infamous smokestack.

Of course I had no idea it was a clone, so I truly thought Spidey was dead. :D

I don't see what is the big deal about revealing the clone in this issue, either with the fact that it's a clone and that they used the Scorpion to do it. First, it's the clone saga, I fully expect to see a ****load of clones, the Tarantula will probably be one as well or something related to that if I had to take a guess. Second, the Scorpion is not a "blown opportunity" for ultimization like Omega Red was, the Scorpion is basically a suit, so just stick someone else in the suit with a good and different backstory and you've fixed your problem.

I LOVED the interaction both between Kitty and MJ so much in this issue. It's the best one in a long time. Bendis, despite all his other foibles, never loses his ear for dialogue and the stuff between MJ and Peter almost made me long for their relationship to start back up, that's how good it was.

The Kitty outburst is typical Bendis overdramatization (see when MJ flipped out in past issues over Gwen being in love with him or when Peter just flipped out about MJ not listening to him when Harry showed back up.) Plus, we didn't see what else made Kitty act the way she did, maybe she was just having a bad day. Either way, I welcome MJ back into the fold, she just makes the story better all around. Like Peter said, he has no other friends, he needs MJ to bounce stuff off of to tell a better story, both as a different "voice" than Kitty's and also to talk with Peter "in person." As good as Kitty and Peter can be talking on the phone, nothing is as high quality as the consistently good reaction shots we get when Peter and MJ talk.

Last edited:
gondee said:
I don't see what is the big deal about revealing the clone in this issue, either with the fact that it's a clone and that they used the Scorpion to do it. First, it's the clone saga, I fully expect to see a ****load of clones, the Tarantula will probably be one as well or something related to that if I had to take a guess. Second, the Scorpion is not a "blown opportunity" for ultimization like Omega Red was, the Scorpion is basically a suit, so just stick someone else in the suit with a good and different backstory and you've fixed your problem.

I LOVED the interaction both between Kitty and MJ so much in this issue. It's the best one in a long time. Bendis, despite all his other foibles, never loses his ear for dialogue and the stuff between MJ and Peter almost made me long for their relationship to start back up, that's how good it was.

The Kitty outburst is typical Bendis overdramatization (see when MJ flipped out in past issues over Gwen being in love with him or when Peter just flipped out about MJ not listening to him when Harry showed back up.) Plus, we didn't see what else made Kitty act the way she did, maybe she was just having a bad day. Either way, I welcome MJ back into the fold, she just makes the story better all around. Like Peter said, he has no other friends, he needs MJ to bounce stuff off of to tell a better story, both as a different "voice" than Kitty's and also to talk with Peter "in person." As good as Kitty and Peter can be talking on the phone, nothing is as high quality as the consistently good reaction shots we get when Peter and MJ talk.

Exactly. It's the over-the-top, manic, teenage conversations where Bendis shines. If nothing else...he understands the relationship dynamic of Peter/MJ. He knows the characters and knows how they should be.

Without question.

Scorpion being a clone is a big deal. There are characters that are already created specifically for a Peter Clone. Doppleganger, for instance. Or Kaine. Where are they at? No Mac Gargan means a waste of a character.

Goodwill said:
Without question.

Scorpion being a clone is a big deal. There are characters that are already created specifically for a Peter Clone. Doppleganger, for instance. Or Kaine. Where are they at? No Mac Gargan means a waste of a character.

I'm just thinking we should give Ultimate Scorpion a chance. The Clone Saga is far from over. We don't know the Scorpion's fate after losing to Spidey. If we never see Scorpion again or this Parker clone gets killed off I will say it is a throwaway. No one *****ed when Ultimate Silver Surfer was not Norrin Radd and was not a misguided herald because it was a good ultimization.

Latest posts

Back