Ultimate Spider-Man #97 discussion (spoilers)

marvelman said:
stories like this are the reason I dropped USM. seriously. that sounds horrible.
Yet sadly you can't seem to drop the habit of coming in to remind us all that you don't read it anymore. :roll:

What else did people expect the Clone Saga to be? Clones of Mary Jane running around so Peter has to save six of her from stupidity-induced danger?

lol

YEAH MARY JANE IS TEH HOTNESS!

no, i just expected ... no clone saga?? I mean it's just bendis desperately flailing and screamin LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!

and failing.

its just not enjoyable anymore. There's no life to it. It's stale. and its a discussion thread, so i figure i'll come in and say that I don't enjoy the lack of life in this book. That's all. :shrugs:

marvelman said:
its just not enjoyable anymore. There's no life to it. It's stale. and its a discussion thread, so i figure i'll come in and say that I don't enjoy the lack of life in this book. That's all. :shrugs:
And yet... you don't even read the book. Therefore, your decision of "lack of life" is based on a paragraph summary of what someone else saw when they read the book?

I don't have a problem with Scorpion being a supposed clone of Peter. It's not like it's a major plot point. It's not like the story was wasted by doing this. I'm with Evil - I'm interested to see who is behind it. The obvious answer is Ben Reilly, but who knows for sure, and who knows why.

When MJ mentioned the new costume she made I was hoping/expecting him to pop out in something resembling one of the costumes from the original clone saga. Oh well.

Kitty really showed herself to be pretty immature...very telling. Kind of a weird point in the storyline to show this side of her, all of the sudden, but it's OK.

Pretty good overall, and a good start to the story. I liked it; I thought it was an improvement over Morbius.

3.75/5

E said:
I don't have a problem with Scorpion being a supposed clone of Peter. It's not like it's a major plot point. It's not like the story was wasted by doing this. I'm with Evil - I'm interested to see who is behind it. The obvious answer is Ben Reilly, but who knows for sure, and who knows why.
Maybe Ben Reilly got picked up by Fury? We know he was interested in depowering Peter... maybe they made spare Peters to practice on? I mean, they could slap a collar on him but that's pretty conspicuous out in the real world and they don't have the grounds to 'disappear' him like the Ultimate Six. So if they make spare Peters, they can practice the power removal and... well, if it doesn't work and he ends up mutated/dead it's no big loss. Couple that with the Tinkerer being brought into SHIELD's fold and you have a source for the Scorpion suit too.
E said:
When MJ mentioned the new costume she made I was hoping/expecting him to pop out in something resembling one of the costumes from the original clone saga. Oh well.
I missed that line. Maybe we'll see the Spider-Ben costume? Or, God forbid, Scarlet Spider? Especially with clones running around, I can see them temporarily switching to a new costume to keep it so people can tell which one's him?
E said:
Kitty really showed herself to be pretty immature...very telling. Kind of a weird point in the storyline to show this side of her, all of the sudden, but it's OK.
I dunno, I think it works. It's kinda a fact of life: whenever you think the worst is happening to you, something else comes by the make things even worse for you. He's gotta worry about clones, Mary Jane is the only person there who can help (at least on a psychological level), and he's got to worry about his girlfriend getting pissy because he's talking to the only person who can discuss his life with him.

Last edited:
I may have taken it off my buy list (dropped it) but that doesnt mean I can't still go to the shop and look at it. Which I will next time I'm at the comic store.

But I think my real problem is that there is no creativity anymore as far as new material. It is all the same rehashed storyline with *shock* a twist!

That's my only problem, and it was big enough for me to stop liking the book and drop it.

And I CAN say that there is a lack of life in the book as I have checked out past issues... and I can also come into this thread and say, hey, this really doesn't sound good. At all.

jtg3885 said:
Maybe Ben Reilly got picked up by Fury? We know he was interested in depowering Peter... maybe they made spare Peters to practice on? I mean, they could slap a collar on him but that's pretty conspicuous out in the real world and they don't have the grounds to 'disappear' him like the Ultimate Six. So if they make spare Peters, they can practice the power removal and... well, if it doesn't work and he ends up mutated/dead it's no big loss. Couple that with the Tinkerer being brought into SHIELD's fold and you have a source for the Scorpion suit too.

But why would they put him into a scorpian suit if they were just going to take the clone's power away.
I'm guessing the suit would have amped the clone up with more strength, and that would be just stupid, to give a person who already has the power of a spider.

Shihad said:
But why would they put him into a scorpian suit if they were just going to take the clone's power away.
I'm guessing the suit would have amped the clone up with more strength, and that would be just stupid, to give a person who already has the power of a spider.
I'm saying maybe he's one of the broken ones. And being told that you were brought into existence and tampered with just to practice for the real thing on Peter Parker would seriously warp him. So, he's broken beyond usage (maybe it stripped a few powers and amped up others) for their purposes and hates Peter. Stick him in a suit, use the famed SHIELD resources to track down where Peter is, and you can let him go vent his frustrations and probably get beaten down and/or tossed into a smokestack.

E said:
Obviously Ben's going to show up here somewhere but he didn't come off as the evil bastard who would be behind the entire scheme here. He's definitely working for someone. And again, I think Norman Osborn is somewhere in the mix. But that's just my fanboyish contribute to the whole theory.

I'll be really weirded out if SHIELD is behind the cloneing. That would make SHIELD "evil" and they're not.

You know what really sucks now is Ultimate Scorpion... has been used for this silly reveal and it's gonna be sort've cheap to bring him back again. Another wasted ultimization.

E said:
I think she's been pretty immature the entire time actually.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Bouts of her immaturity have been coming out since she spazzed out in the Annual, although it was downplayed by how much they clicked. For example, she can't seem to survive without a boyfriend ever since she broke off with Bobby. Peter was virtually the person she wanted to fill the void in her life during that time. I think that is a good comparison since during that time they just started out in their relationship and everything is still happy and in the 'honeymoon' stage.

Now that their relationship is ongoing, it's time to emphasize more of the negative aspects of their love life. The only reason why Spidey was nearly killed in Deadpool because of his association with the X-Men and Kitty's obnoxious 'You're going to break up with me. wawawawa' was also telling. The fact also that Spidey love Kitty has already been shown to the public, it would take only a complete doofus to not connect with Peter and Spidey as the same person therefore forcing them to keep their relationship a secret. The secret relationship is virtually the death knell because there is really nowhere to go if they can't go out in public. Kitty is also deliberately being made annoying by Bendis compared to the more mature MJ who is able to handle herself a lot better even though she is still in love with Peter and she knows that he already has another girlfriend.

I like this about Bendis. He did this as well to show the flaws of MJ in the Hobgoblin arc when she foolishly wanders into danger for the nth time and justify their break-up. Now the tables have turned and it's Spidey whose life is put in danger thanks to his relationship with Kitty. I'd be surprised if his relationship with Kitty survives after the Clone Saga.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:

Sure, but this is a whole new level.

E said:
Sure, but this is a whole new level.
At least she's not having the other X-Men text message Peter at work or show up at his house to bug him.

I'd take Kitty's psychosis over some of my ex-gfs any day.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Obviously Ben's going to show up here somewhere but he didn't come off as the evil bastard who would be behind the entire scheme here. He's definitely working for someone. And again, I think Norman Osborn is somewhere in the mix. But that's just my fanboyish contribute to the whole theory.

I think Ben will obviously be in the mix somewhere....but not a major player. I think he restarted up the experiment from Carnage with some of Peter's DNA and perfected the cloning technique to an extent. He won't be revealed as some huge mastermind....but a Clone Saga without Ben Reilly is like Superman withouth Lois---it just ain't right.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'll be really weirded out if SHIELD is behind the cloneing. That would make SHIELD "evil" and they're not.

Yeah....I don't think they'll be behind this at all.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You know what really sucks now is Ultimate Scorpion... has been used for this silly reveal and it's gonna be sort've cheap to bring him back again. Another wasted ultimization.

Bingo. Bendis has found his shtick. Unless, Bendis can redeem him in some way by making him a credible threat and not just some throw away villain like Vulture or Omega Red....it will be a wasted ultimization.

TheManWithoutFear said:

As are all 16 year old girls.

Victor Von Doom said:
Yeah....I don't think they'll be behind this at all.
They are, directly or indirectly, responsible for a lot of the superproblems in USM. It wouldn't really surprise me. Like I said, if they're making spare Peters to try and perfect a depowering process to use on illegal unnatural genetic mutations, is that really evil? For all we know, they weren't intended to even become sentient and were meant to exist in a vegitative state to be experimented on. That'd be like calling labs evil for using mice in experiments. SHIELD is by no means perfect, after all.

Or it could be some private sector nuts who want clones of Peter (and possibly transgendered ones too) for... I dunno, what legitimate reason is there for wanting Peter and She-Peter clones?

Victor Von Doom said:
He won't be revealed as some huge mastermind....but a Clone Saga without Ben Reilly is like Superman withouth Lois---it just ain't right.

How many clone sagas have you seen????

This thread saddens and annoys me, and is a prime example of why posting full spoiler-summary threads on day of release is a bad thing... Endless people just posting to say "I haven't bought it but this sounds rubbish". Even though the actual people who've read it seem mostly quite positive.

I thought this was a really good issue. Better than Morbius and Deadpool so far. The talking between MJ and Peter was really well written as opposed to other teen scenes. Oh, and I thought Peter and Aunt May were moving. Did they already? I can't remember.

4/5

Who else immediately knew who "Peter" was quoting? ("Who is the masked mystery man...") I knew because I used to read the USM run over and over when I was younger.

Latest posts

Back