Ultimate Spider-Man #98 Spoilers

I'm really digging the Clone Saga now. I read the issue in the shop today and I was pretty impressed. As for the Scorpion, Spider-Girl, Tarantula, etc all being clones. . .I actually kind of like it. They all have to do with a Spider, so it makes sense. Plus, I never really liked Scorpion or Tarantula anyways so this makes them more worthwhile. And I liked Spider-Girl, even if she was rambling.

I have no idea what to make of Gwen. I'll wait for that. I'm sure it ties into Carnage and I'm looking foward to what Bendis has in store for that. . .since it was rather weird, looking back, that we saw the "end" of Carnage in a flashback sequence. . .

As for the Clone taking MJ to Oscorp. . .it makes me wonder. The Clone Saga is supposed to wrap up everything from the last 100 issues. Osborn had a sample of Peter's blood and he wanted Peter to join him during Legacy. . .maybe he just decided to make his own Spider-clone army to use against both Peter and Nick Fury?

And I think Spider-Woman will be Jessica Drew. She'll be Nick Fury's answer to both Osborn's clones and Peter Parker.

And with the 105th issue rumored to be called "Death of the Goblin". . .

If Bendis has made everything from Carnage suck on purpose just to make it all make sense in the Clone Saga. . .damn him to hell. Could Caranage and Hobgoblin actually get worthy endings through both this and the next arc?

Last edited:
Hibiki said:
I still think Spider woman is ultimate jessica drew.

there will be a Spider-Woman itrod. in the Ultimates later. I don't think this one is Jessica.

I enjoyed the issue, way more fast-paced than usual.

I assumed that the DNA differance was just the original DNA change in Peter like Richards said. I didn't read too much into it. The thing that startled me the most was the tube MJ was in. I couldn't help feeling that someone was going to fill it with OZ or something. I thought we were supposed to assume that Gwen was the Spider-Woman. Besides the confronation being side by side it reminded me of the ol' Spidey episode "The Return of Hydro-Man" where the MJ clone was given water powers to be Hydro-Man's perfect mate. What if someone tried to make a Gwen stacy clone able to be Peter's perfect mate. She coulda rejected the clone Peter that the cloner introduced her too and fled. Relying on her memories from gwen she backtracked to Peter's house only to encounter Peter in the process. He woudn't give her the time to explain herself, knocks him out and checks out the old house. Of course I could just be smoking pot.

Ultxon said:
She coulda rejected the clone Peter that the cloner introduced her too and fled. Relying on her memories from gwen she backtracked to Peter's house only to encounter Peter in the process. He woudn't give her the time to explain herself, knocks him out and checks out the old house. Of course I could just be smoking pot.

Right. Of course.

Is Gwen Spider-Woman? i mean Spider Woman dispeared when Gwen apeared......Nah couldnt be

So is Evil Parke Kaine Spidercide or just plain evil Parker?

Venom Melendez said:
Is Gwen Spider-Woman? i mean Spider Woman dispeared when Gwen apeared......Nah couldnt be

So is Evil Parke Kaine Spidercide or just plain evil Parker?

I thought Gwen had Blonde hair and spidergirl had brown.

Ultxon said:
I enjoyed the issue, way more fast-paced than usual.

I assumed that the DNA differance was just the original DNA change in Peter like Richards said. I didn't read too much into it. The thing that startled me the most was the tube MJ was in. I couldn't help feeling that someone was going to fill it with OZ or something. I thought we were supposed to assume that Gwen was the Spider-Woman. Besides the confronation being side by side it reminded me of the ol' Spidey episode "The Return of Hydro-Man" where the MJ clone was given water powers to be Hydro-Man's perfect mate. What if someone tried to make a Gwen stacy clone able to be Peter's perfect mate. She coulda rejected the clone Peter that the cloner introduced her too and fled. Relying on her memories from gwen she backtracked to Peter's house only to encounter Peter in the process. He woudn't give her the time to explain herself, knocks him out and checks out the old house. Of course I could just be smoking pot.

bong.gif

TheManWithoutFear said:
Seriously. I've been on other sites and everyone is still holding on to the "I called Gwen is Spider-Woman"

I seriously think it's a Peter Parker female clone mixed with symbiote DNA. The chick's got brown hair. It's not Gwen.

I bet it's Eddie Brock. There were tragic side effects to the Venom symbiote we had no idea about...

I don't know. Making Spider-Girl just another Parker clone seems like a waste to me. What's the impact of a girl clone when there's already at least two other clones running around already? No... I think it's either got to be a character that's already appeared, or someone that somehow ties into his history

hibiki said:
BUt what color was her hair, or did it not show?

blonde

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Seriously. I've been on other sites and everyone is still holding on to the "I called Gwen is Spider-Woman"

I still doubt her actual importance to all this. I think she is just being thrown in there for shock value.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I seriously think it's a Peter Parker female clone mixed with symbiote DNA. The chick's got brown hair. It's not Gwen.

Bingo.

Unfortunately I don't have my copy of Carnage TPB to verify if Ben Reilly had a second sample of Carnage in some other test tube, but my theory is that if Ben didn't have a second sample hidden somewhere, Carnage somehow returned back to Ben's lab and Ben extracted all the DNA collected from Carnage and he made all the clones of Peter and used Gwen Stacy's DNA and Peter's to make Spider-Woman.

Or something like that.

The reason I didn't think much of the hair thing was I assumed it was in homage to the orig Spider-Woman. Anyone else remember that she wore a wig while in costume?

Carnage is sentient.

Carnage has Spider-Man's memories.

Carnage returned to the source of all Peter's problems (Osborn Industries), and for some reason decided making clones was a brilliant idea.

Carnage makes a first clone. It's bat**** insane. Scorpion is born.

Carnage slipped a chromosome on one try, and created the She-Peter. She-Peter has the Venom Suit or whatever passes for it that's floating around inside of Carnage's DNA matrix. Hence the webbing finger trick.

Carnage also contains the remnants of Gwen and her memories. Carnage creates a new body and expels Gwen, possibly to remove what would before then be a MPD situation.

Carnage remembers the problems Peter has had with MJ, and is driven by some freaky obsessive version of distorted Peterlove for her. He kidnaps her so he can create a superior version of her by subjecting her to some sort of science experiment.

She-Peter adjusts to the fact that she is, in fact, a she. With all of Peter's memories and feelings (up to the point where the memory imprint was formed, so probably when Peter fought Carnage), she becomes heroic. She goes out into the real world a bit to make sure this isn't a giant hallucination, then resolves to take out Carnage for "all of them", meaning herself, real Peter, and all the other clones and genetic misfits.

Peter frees MJ with the aid of She-Peter, takes out Carnage, and She-Peter and other clones escape in the havok.

Last edited:
The scene with MJ never showed the face of the figure... So we're not sure we're dealing with anymore than one clone... At least. That is, if we're not counting whatever, or whoever, kidnapped Mary Jane. This arc is throwing me for a loop so far and I can't wait to see where it ends up. If it were Carnage, as JTG speculates, I think that character would be redeemed, but Ben Reilly has to fit in this somewhere.

Also, doesn't Nick Fury finally act in this arc? Like, doesn't he go after Peter to take away his powers? When?

Hi everyone! I have lurked here for a week or two but feeling I have read this issue, the first Ultimate Spider-Man I ever bought, I wanted to comment on some things being said.

Ultxon said:
I assumed that the DNA differance was just the original DNA change in Peter like Richards said.....I thought we were supposed to assume that Gwen was the Spider-Woman. Besides the confronation being side by side it reminded me of the ol' Spidey episode "The Return of Hydro-Man" where the MJ clone was given water powers to be Hydro-Man's perfect mate. What if someone tried to make a Gwen stacy clone able to be Peter's perfect mate. She coulda rejected the clone Peter that the cloner introduced her too and fled. Relying on her memories from gwen she backtracked to Peter's house only to encounter Peter in the process. He woudn't give her the time to explain herself, knocks him out and checks out the old house. Of course I could just be smoking pot.

I kind of like this idea but you have to flesh out where the cloner got Gwen's DNA, that is a big hole. It is still an interesting theory.

VictorVonDoom said:
Unfortunately I don't have my copy of Carnage TPB to verify if Ben Reilly had a second sample of Carnage in some other test tube, but my theory is that if Ben didn't have a second sample hidden somewhere, Carnage somehow returned back to Ben's lab and Ben extracted all the DNA collected from Carnage and he made all the clones of Peter and used Gwen Stacy's DNA and Peter's to make Spider-Woman.

I really like this idea the only downside is that it would make Spider-Girl Peter's daughter.I doubt the editors would want Peter aged that much. I still really like the idea.

Now that Carnage idea I find really cool. Just because Peter tossed it into a smokestack doesn't mean it couldn't have survived. Also if Peter got cut or something during the fight Carnage could have gotten enough blood from Peter to perhaps stabalize itself. I really like it.

All in all though I actually enjoyed Spider-Girl. I hope she sticks around after the Clone Saga. I can see it now:

Peter: Aunt May I want you to meet my twin sister which you never knew about.

May: Uh, what?!

Latest posts

Back