Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #2 (Discussion/Spoilers)

I always read Ultimate Spider-Man to my little brother (he's nine and I read 9 comics a month with him currently) and this morning I read him the annual. I happened to like it better on my second reading, so I am even more satisfied with the issue now.

I agree the jumping around was too much. I suffered through it in DD when Bendis wrote it. And DeWolffs death was too soon and her sleeping with Fisk was just off. Still think we could have gotten a better ultimization with a different petty thug rogue but oh well...

Everything else was awesome. I am a little confused about the negativity towards the issue.

4/5

MaxwellSmart said:
You are heartless when it comes to long term relationships. I can't believe your saying it's no big deal that Fisk is sleeping around on his comatos wife. The guy's still married what happened to standing vigil.

Also the term "filler" has disturbing connotations. "Fill in" would have been better.

The one divorce that really shook me up was the divorce of my friend's grandparents. I know the family really well and I knew his grandparents. They'd been married 42 years when it broke that he had been having an affair for 3 years with woman who live in their neighborhood. I couldn't believe that could happen after so many years of marriage.

Vigil? The guy is.....Spoiler..... A MOB FRIKKIN BOSS!!! And filler is just fine.

The way I see it you have no vigil if you're in that business. I think Goodfellas or the Godfather are perfect examples. All those guys cheated on their wife, why would Kingpin be any different. I wouldn't be surprised if he even had a prostituion ring. On another note, you can't help the connection you feel when you meet someone. If you feel it was meant to be, then dump your woman and go with your choice. If he really cared for her, then he wouldn't be rumored to be sleeping around with so many women.

Last edited:
ultimatedjf said:
Very good annual, but not as good as last year's.

4.5/5

By the way, what was that about Captain America that the policeman was asking DeWolffe? Were we supposed to know?

Also in that same policeman scene, images from Ultimates 2 #10 (#11?) appear on a television screen. Doesn't this mess with the timeline or something?

I think it was an easter egg type thing, as there are a slew of reasons why this Annual can't occur during or immediately after Ultimates 2 #10. Mainly the fact that there's absolutely no mention of the Liberators invading the country. We'll see how it goes in the coming books, and after U2 finishes. Right now I'm ignoring the TV screens stuff in terms of the timeline and, as I said, just treating it as an easter egg.

the watcher said:
I think it probably referring to the Ultimates 2 Annual we'll have to wait and see. As for the television screen... I think this and the rest of the Annuals are after Ultimates 2 #13.

I really doubt it. So much so that I'm willing to put money on it.

Maybe not the X-Men Annual, with Dazzler missing I think Nightcrawler took her after she woke up. So I thing the X-Men Annual takes place during the "Magical" arc.

Guarantee you the X-Men Annual #2 will pick up right after Magical.

Anyway, I thought this was an ok read. Better than most of the USM arcs we've recently gotten, though nothing great either. I'll give it a 3/5.

When she died. I thought, "Already?"

I loved more Daredevil and Spider-Man. And now the return of Moon Knight.

I also agree with the poor use of the Punisher. He's great in prison and in the Team-Up but here no. I'm neutral to his origin. I don't think it's bad but not that good either.

I liked for the most part. Better than what has been.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The problem with Punisher is hes turning into a plot device here. Bendis is just throwing him in for the sake of having someone prematurely shoot DeWolff.

I couldve done without him here but I welcome his appearance.

It saddens me deeply to see what he's done to Punisher.

Hibiki said:
Is Punisher's family dead in this one too? If so, what a way to be different.
They made him such a one side character "my family is dead so I'nm gonna shoot anyone bad" In 616 he only goes after the worst of the worst. Which enters the question of morality, if what he is doing is the right thing. I UU he tries to kill Boomerang? BOOMERANG! He just shows up with a big gun and starts shooting, no plan, nothing. He has no depth.

Random said:
They made him such a one side character "my family is dead so I'nm gonna shoot anyone bad" In 616 he only goes after the worst of the worst. Which enters the question of morality, if what he is doing is the right thing. I UU he tries to kill Boomerang? BOOMERANG! He just shows up with a big gun and starts shooting, no plan, nothing. He has no depth.

Sounds more like a mafia guy. I can already see a dire need of a revamp.

I liked this issue but you guys are right on the subject that it is too compressed. It would have made a good short arc or something but not a single issue. I love UMK and DD but Punisher is just okay for me. I can't wait to see further convos between DD and Spidey. Well see yall around.

4/5

DIrishb said:
I think it was an easter egg type thing, as there are a slew of reasons why this Annual can't occur during or immediately after Ultimates 2 #10. Mainly the fact that there's absolutely no mention of the Liberators invading the country. We'll see how it goes in the coming books, and after U2 finishes. Right now I'm ignoring the TV screens stuff in terms of the timeline and, as I said, just treating it as an easter egg.

I agree. You don't have a FULL-SCALE NATIONWIDE ATTACK ON AMERICAN SHORES and NOT have it come up somewhere in the story. New York was too regular for this to take place within at least a month of the Liberators' attack. I agree it's an Easter Egg, but I also think putting it in as an easter egg is incredibly stupid. You don't slide an instance from a major event in the near future into a scene. Easter eggs should give the reader's a nice little nod of the heaed to something that exists outside of continuity OR they should provide a preview of something that's going to happen in the future in a smart way, which actually makes sense according ti continuity. It's not cute. It's stupid. Bendis is stupid. and I hate him. and he smells.

MaxwellSmart said:
It's only been one issue. There is plenty of time to flesh him out.

It's been a number of issues. We've already seen his origin, and we've already seen him in action. and he sucks. It's not like we've seen a hint of the character and there's plenty of room for him to grow. Making him cool is going to require diverging drastically from the route Bendis has chosen to portray him. Sure, he can be saved, but it means changing the route he's going completely.

Hibiki said:
Is Punisher's family dead in this one too? If so, what a way to be different.

I feel like that's a part of the character that always needs to be there. There's some fundamental aspects of characters you just can't change. Peter Parker is always a teenager who gains spider powers and finds out "with great power comes great responsibility". Superman is always Clark Kent, a strange visitor from a mysterious planet. And the Punisher is always a hard-*** who loses his family and chooses to take the law into his own hands... If you take that away from the character, he stops being the Punisher.

ManWithNoFear said:
The problem with Punisher is hes turning into a plot device here. Bendis is just throwing him in for the sake of having someone prematurely shoot DeWolff.

EXACTLY! Frank hears someone mention there's a new mob boss, so suddenly he's like, "Well, there's my excuse... I guess it's time to break out of jail and start shooting **** up! But first, I need a haircut...." Apparently Frank Castle's just been taking a honeymoon in jail, knowing he can break out at any time. He's not aware there are still bad people in the world until some two-bit thug tells him so. :roll: and Moon Knight was just a plot device so that Bendis could do the cool Marvel Knights thing at the end. He doesn't even have someone tipping him off about Kangaroo. He just breaks out of the hospital, checks up on the organized crime message board, and decides to pop in.

The way I see it you have no vigil if you're in that business. I think Goodfellas or the Godfather are perfect examples. All those guys cheated on their wife, why would Kingpin be any different. I wouldn't be surprised if he even had a prostituion ring. On another note, you can't help the connection you feel when you meet someone. If you feel it was meant to be, then dump your woman and go with your choice. If he really cared for her, then he wouldn't be rumored to be sleeping around with so many women.

You see, that's the rub. The Kingpin/Vanessa relationship was the one thing that extended the Kingpin beyond being a stereotypical (albeit, a well characterized) mob boss. Sonny Corleone cheated on his wife, but he had other humanizing traits: primarily the love of his family. Vito NEVER cheated on his wife. Fredo wasn't even married, but he was a total sleaze anyway. and Mikey? Yeah, sure he cheated. on his girlfriend, when he was in exile, and it was a huge issue for the character. And Goodfellas was biographical, so it wasn't really about developing interesting traits in characters.

Sure, mobsters cheat on their wives. That's not what sucks. What sucks is the fact that Fisk has been stripped of the one trait that really humanized him and made him three-dimensional.

I don't know how you could argue with Zombipanda.

Good job.

Funny name!

Foolsfolly said:
I don't know how you could argue with Zombipanda.

Good job.

Funny name!

It's not a funny name. It's an honorific title passed down in my family for generations. Respect!

:D but thanks a lot!

Zombipanda said:
I agree. You don't have a FULL-SCALE NATIONWIDE ATTACK ON AMERICAN SHORES and NOT have it come up somewhere in the story. New York was too regular for this to take place within at least a month of the Liberators' attack.

Among other things.

I agree it's an Easter Egg, but I also think putting it in as an easter egg is incredibly stupid. You don't slide an instance from a major event in the near future into a scene.

Completely agreed. Perhapd "Easter egg" isn't even the right term for it, but I'm not sure how else to term it.

Easter eggs should give the reader's a nice little nod of the heaed to something that exists outside of continuity OR they should provide a preview of something that's going to happen in the future in a smart way, which actually makes sense according ti continuity. It's not cute. It's stupid. Bendis is stupid. and I hate him. and he smells.

Not sure about the last one (never met him in person), but agreed again, on all other counts.

Wow what an issue !! loved it !!
Thought the storyline was excellent throughout and the ending left it open for someone to take it further in an interesting way so overall no complaints !!
Ultimate punisher seems a bit strange to me though im pretty sure this charachter could be done a lot better so Im waiting on a mini before i pass judgement !!
Excellent to see another confrontation between spidey and dd
daredevil kicked spidey's *** in 4 panels !! superb !!
5/5

Yeah, I thought Punisher was an unnecessary appearance... Bendis exhausts his character so much that I'm not that interested in him. That said, I did think it was cool for him to show up... But his appearance did nothing for him... None of his appearances really have, though.

i thought the relationship between dewolfe-kingpin-spidey would take a whole 6 issue storyline. spidey would learn a new lesson for living bla bla.

yup!! the annual was amazing , but i think it wasted a lot of good stories that could be done.

on the other hand. it's good to see ultimate daredevil around again, we missed him since UXM.

but punisher!!!! god i can't stand seeing him as he is done in ultimate universe.such an awful waste :(

Latest posts

Back