Ultimate Spider-man: War of the Symbiotes (#123-128) (Spoilers)

I don't really pick this title up on a regular basis, but I have skimmed through some recent issues and I've noticed Immonen's artwork, and it's very impressive (I am familiar with Immonen's work, but his style looks different here).

Immonen breathed new life into the book. Death Of The Goblin and Amazing Friends were both awesome.

I don't really pick this title up on a regular basis, but I have skimmed through some recent issues and I've noticed Immonen's artwork, and it's very impressive (I am familiar with Immonen's work, but his style looks different here).

Seems to look a lot like what he did on Ultimate X-Men (Magnetic North arc, I think).

Issue #126 was jarringly bad.

Out of nowhere Nick Fury is back and instead of a conclusion to the Spidey-Venom fight, he falls asleep, wakes up, and then talks for the last few pages about what happened. Maybe I'm not understanding the chronology or something or maybe it's all in Spidey's mind as bad things happen to him in the real world. I dunno. Didn't make any sense at all. And I think it was supposed to.

Last edited:
Issue #126 was jarringly bad.

Out of nowhere Nick Fury is back and instead of a conclusion to the Spidey-Venom fight, he falls asleep, wakes up, and then talks for the last few pages about what happened. Maybe I'm not understanding the chronology or something or maybe it's all in Spidey's mind as bad things happen to him in the real world. I dunno. Didn't make any sense at all. And I think it was supposed to.

Yeah it was pretty weak. And there was another reference to Peters' dad, which at this point I don't even know what is contradicting what anymore.

However on the up side, I did like that it was the "pre-U3" Ultimates making an appearance.

This issue was a flashback.... before Ultimate Power and before Ultimates 3. I didn't for a second have any confusion. Fury already appeared in this arc once, and no one was confused then.

This is the worst arc since Immonen came aboard. The art was great....but in the end it was an "extended scene recap" of the game. Nothing was resolved, continued, or......anything.

The whole arc just kinda sits there.

The arc isn't even over yet, keep in mind.

I'm actually torn when it comes to this arc. I love parts of it, I hate others. As far as I can tell, the first issue takes place the most recently, then it's entirely flashbacks until the end of 126, and the next two will take place in the "present" (whatever the hell THAT is in USM).

The problem? It needs more than two issues. I don't want a mindless Venom vs Carnage fight, I want Pathetic Crazy Eddie rambling on to Gwen. Not Gwarnage. Gwen. This has the potential to add a new dimension to the Venom and Carnage dynamic. Gwen and Eddie have history, and just happen to be Carnage and Venom, respectively - two villains that traditionally stand against one another. This was obviously planned, but I don't trust that Bendis can pull it off now. Maybe 100 issues ago, but not now.

Oh well. At least the art will be pretty.

Welcome Zeek, and good points on the Eddie/Gwen history.

The arc isn't even over yet, keep in mind.

I'm actually torn when it comes to this arc. I love parts of it, I hate others. As far as I can tell, the first issue takes place the most recently, then it's entirely flashbacks until the end of 126, and the next two will take place in the "present" (whatever the hell THAT is in USM).

The problem? It needs more than two issues. I don't want a mindless Venom vs Carnage fight, I want Pathetic Crazy Eddie rambling on to Gwen. Not Gwarnage. Gwen. This has the potential to add a new dimension to the Venom and Carnage dynamic. Gwen and Eddie have history, and just happen to be Carnage and Venom, respectively - two villains that traditionally stand against one another. This was obviously planned, but I don't trust that Bendis can pull it off now. Maybe 100 issues ago, but not now.

Oh well. At least the art will be pretty.

Welcome, Zeek! You make excellent points.

Holy Frijoles, thats a fantastic idea

welcome Zeek!

wow, yeah that is a good idea!

and yes, Bendis was at one point my favourite writer in comics, but he's stuff hasn't been up to par lately.

Maybe I'm juts enamored by the art, but I am actually really enjoying this arc. It is a flashback... I have to remember that at times while reading an issue. I remember reading it and going "Man, Fury's here? That's Bendis for you..." But, no, it's all good. This happened in the past. I do think having this flashback stuff last for an entire arc is weird... It was good with Sandman for the one issue, but...

Yea, Sandman needs to come back, though. Seriously.

Huh. So Death of a Goblin was "two weeks ago". Y'know, eventually the timeline in this book is gonna get to the point where events couldn't possibly have happened in the time span Bendis said they did.

On a side note...anybody else find it kinda funny that this arc deals with two parasitic beings, but is called "War of the Symbiotes"?

What I find frustrating is the Ultimate writers keep on changing the name of some of the characters, bringing them back for the dead, or killing them off long before the were introduced. Madeline Stacy... Bendis said that her name was Ginger Stacy awhile ago. (Goes and change Character appearence thread.)

Huh. So Death of a Goblin was "two weeks ago". Y'know, eventually the timeline in this book is gonna get to the point where events couldn't possibly have happened in the time span Bendis said they did.

*Ahem*

...Um...Bendis has done exactly that several times already. ;)

Seriously, take any timeline references in Ultimate Spider-Man with a VERY BIG grain of salt. Bendis apparently writes too any books to remember his own continuity.

For instance, recently, Bendis wrote Ultimate Origins, in which Peter Parker's parents are supposedly killed while he's a infant. Yet Bendis established in the Venom arc that Peter's parents were alive until he was at least 5-6 years old, as shown in the VHS tape Peter watches in the beginning of that arc.

It seems like Bendis retcons his own stories on an almost monthly basis. He's becoming like the George Lucas of comics...past his prime and stretched too thin. The "Who Killed Peter's Parents?" question (Hulk or Trask Industries/Venom suit) among the few Ultimate continuity nuts (all 3 of us) will be a much smaller scale version of the "Who Shot First?" debate (Han or Greedo) amongst Star Wars fans.

:roll:

What I find frustrating is the Ultimate writers keep on changing the name of some of the characters, bringing them back for the dead, or killing them off long before the were introduced. Madeline Stacy... Bendis said that her name was Ginger Stacy awhile ago. (Goes and change Character appearence thread.)

Well...she is a Clone...sort of. Maybe they brain-washed her with a new middle-name?

Last edited:
I just caught up on this arc and have to say it's not bad. It's, at the very worst, interesting.

And I like how Immonen draws Venom.

DIrishB said:
Well...she is a Clone...sort of. Maybe they brain-washed her with a new middle-name?
no, DIrishB, there is no problem with Gwen's middle name, it's her mom's name. Her Mom's name was Ginger and now Gwen is saying it's Madeline (Gwen's middle name is Maxine apparently)

to be fair, Ginger sounds like a nick name...or a stripper name...so maybe Gwen was just telling Stark her mom's real name.
Madeline "Ginger" Stacy

DIrishB said:
The "Who Killed Peter's Parents?" question (Hulk or Trask Industries/Venom suit) among the few Ultimate continuity nuts (all 3 of us) will be a much smaller scale version of the "Who Shot First?" debate (Han or Greedo) amongst Star Wars fans.

wait, there's a debate about that?
Greedo clearly shot first

Latest posts

Back