Ultimate Spiderman #101 discussion (Spoilers)

Picked this issue up earlier than I thought...

I agree with everyone on most points, but especially on the MJ part. She was not meant to be a F******* bigfoot, and that's that.

My hope is that that scene is in fact a short dream sequence, and that she wakes up screaming, and to her horror realizes she is still in the lab.

Not the most preferable solution, but I think it might be the best way to avoid a huge mess. That's my opinion, and I am sure many of you disagree, but I think this is the best solution that doesn' involve a lot stupid bull****.

Anyways, 2/5, for FF scenes. I don't really mind the Deus ex Machina parts.

Last edited:
So basically if I had a monster under my bed and I myself was supposed to figure out how to kill it and then jesus comes from heaven and rids it away and leaves with no explanation.....that's deus ex machina?

So basically if I had a monster under my bed and I myself was supposed to figure out how to kill it and then jesus comes from heaven and rids it away and leaves with no explanation.....that's deus ex machina?

Technically, yes. It's rarely a literal "god", though.

My hope is that that scene is in fact a short dream sequence, and that she wakes up screaming, and to her horror realizes she is still in the lab.

Not the most preferable solution, but I think it might be the best way to avoid a huge mess.

That was my whole point - that's the most ideal situation, and even then it doesn't take away from the ridiculousness of the whole thing. The idea was still thought up, presented, and executed. Whether or not it "really" happened at the end of it all is totally moot. Certain things don't happen to certain characters - that's part of good characterization. Aunt May is not going to grow wings and fly to Japan to fight evil ninjas, because she's not part of any of those worlds.

At least 616 May isn't. :(

Well the fact that jesus was in the reference was coincidental but I was more or less pointing out the absurdity. So I guess fanboys loving Bendis' work no matter what is pretty much deus ex machina.

Not to steer this thread off-topic but...

Yes and no. Think of the whole God part as "divine intervention" if you will.

It's basically when the problem is so big that one can't see anyway to fix or repair it.....and yet in the end, with a little "divine" help...everything wraps up nicely and convienently.

I find this to be a good example:

In the Batman TV series, and subsequent movie, Batman's utility belt usually contains something unexpected which extricates him from a seemingly inescapable situation, as evidenced by his can of Shark Repellant Bat Spray, emergency oxygen tank, and rocket boots.

Now that that's explained----#101.......

How about when Jules gets shot at in Pulp Fiction? Or Bendis writing another 20 issues?(to stay on topic)

The Pulp Ficition reference was the best use of Deus Ex Machina ever. It was dileberate and became a plot point.

Considering I didn't get issue 100 until last Wed I won't get this issue for another 3 weeks.:cry: Marvel Subscriptions Suck!:x I want to add to this discussion but refuse to even read this thread untill I read #101. I wish I didn't have to drive an hour just to get to the nearest comic shop.

Maximum Bummer

Ultimate Suckage

Considering I didn't get issue 100 until last Wed I won't get this issue for another 3 weeks.:cry: Marvel Subscriptions Suck!:x I want to add to this discussion but refuse to even read this thread untill I read #101. I wish I didn't have to drive an hour just to get to the nearest comic shop.

Maximum Bummer

Ultimate Suckage

The last four words sum up this issue. That's all you really need to know.

So yeah... I dont think i'm going to push it over at the bendis boards, because this one guy is pissing me off, and I dont want to get banned...

I pretty much gave up in frustration after he tried to argue that the Fantastic Four showing up wasn't a Deus Ex Machina.

Picked this issue up earlier than I thought...

I agree with everyone on most points, but especially on the MJ part. She was not meant to be a F******* bigfoot, and that's that.

Not the most preferable solution, but I think it might be the best way to avoid a huge mess. That's my opinion, and I am sure many of you disagree, but I think this is the best solution that doesn' involve a lot stupid bull****.

Anyways, 2/5, for FF scenes. I don't really mind the Deus ex Machina parts.

i really hope ur dream sequence theory is true

Latest posts

Back