Ultimate Spiderman #104 discussion (Spoilers)

First, welcome!

Second, I pretty much agree with everything you said. The Ultimate imprint is indeed in its decline. USM and what I've seen of Ultimates 3 are complete crap, Ultimate Power is nothing but a money-making crossover, UFF is decent and UXM, while the writing is good, is VERY gimicky. I'm holding out until the Hank McCoy UXM issue before deciding whether to jump off this steadily sinking boat.

I know I should jump ship as well...but knowing me, I'll be the idiot who holds onto the mast--screaming curses at God--as the ship goes under.

Right now I feel dirty. Like the kinda dirty you feel when you finally decide to end a bad relationship and once you're free you think back onto all the horrible stuff the other person put you thru. You feel ashamed and dirty for allowing yourself to be put thru it.

I thought you were going to stop bringing up your past as a masuesse who always gave "happy endings" for old Russian mobsters here on the board. Little kids can read this stuff.

Thanks, guys!

I must commend you as well. All respect goes to Keehar for doing so.

That's what I get for being optimistic in thinking Bendis would not screw up like this. I always thought Ultimate Ock was the best written villain of the series, along with the Kingpin.

Completely agree, especially in terms of the characters.

I didn't think Bendis would pull such a stupid stroke like give Ock Magneto like powers. He's must of been drunk or stoned when he wrote this garbage.

Maybe drunk, but I can attest that even stoners aren't that brain-dead. Maybe he was huffing glue or something.

Who are you and what have you done with MWoF?!

In retrospect, though, take out Gwarnage, MJ Goblin and Doc Magneto, and the arc was decent. Not milestone worthy, as it was hyped, but better than some of past few arcs. At least we got a decent Spider-Woman and an interesting set up for a future plot line (Peter choosing to be Spidey or not) out of it.

. . .speaking of Gwarnage, what happened to her?

I disliked the arc overall, and agree with your points. I did like that Peter apparently finally made a decision about MJ and Kitty, and can't help but look forward to the fall-out from that next issue. The other plot lines that were opened up are somewhat interesting, but not very.

Last edited:
Having finally read this, I can unequivicably say this is the worst Ultimate story ever made, as well as the worst Spider-Man story ever made.

Let's go through this...

- The coloring was terrible. I don't know if I just got a bad copy but it sucked. Horribly.

- Good riddance, Bagley. Sue Storm looked exactly like Gwen Stacy. EXACTLY.

- I am so sick of the Bendis stammering and studdering. Stupid one-liners that don't go anywhere don't add anything to a story. "How about I rip off your head and use it as a --" A what? That doesn't make any sense in the context of these characters or that fight. "The two of you together are nothing but a big --" "Come here so I can --" And that's just in two pages. God. People don't talk like that all the time.

- MJ is scared and upset when she wakes up even though she knows Johnny and recognizes the FF. But she turns into MJGoblin for no reason. Ohhhkaaaaaaay. Johnny decides to calm her down by talking calmly and bringing her food. Oh wait, no he doesn't - he lights up and starts flying around. Good writing! Makes total sense.

- Scorpion clone sees her, triggers something to make her revert back to MJ, then passes out for no ****ing reason. Brilliant.

- All the swirling garbage in the Ock/Peter/Jess fight hurt my eyes and went on for pages and pages. Worst Bagley art I've ever seen.

- One minute Ock is worried about Peter accepting defeat so as to better define his character (wha--?), the next he just wants him to die. Right.

- The FBI director actually calls Peter a "lousy piece of --". Seriously. Give me a ****ing break.

- In a stroke of convenient timing, Richard suddenly and for no reason and without explanation starts wasting away and dies. Y'know, just because it's the last issue of the arc.

- Peter's emotionless recap of the story's events toward the end was another masterful piece of monologue. :roll:

- Doctor Storm has barely had time to research the Oz formula, noting that his notes are incomplete, yet he has a cure. Fer ****'s sake.

- And in the biggest cliffhanger surprise in the history of comics, we find out Peter can stop being Spider-Man. WOW! I wonder what will happen.

This book is a huge pile of --

I swear I want to take all my issues and --

I wish Bendis would --

-1000000000 / 5

And **** you, Bendis.

Having finally read this, I can unequivicably say this is the worst Ultiamte story ever made, as well as the worst Spider-Man story ever made.

Let's go through this...

- The coloring was terrible. I don't know if I just got a bad copy but it sucked. Horribly.

- Good riddance, Bagley. Sue Storm looked exactly like Gwen Stacy. EXACTLY.

- I am so sick of the Bendis stammering and studdering. Stupid one-liners that don't go anywhere do add anything to a story. "How about I rip off your head and use it as a --" A what? That doesn't make any sense in the context of these characters or that fight. "The two of you together are nothing but a big --" "Come here so I can --" And that's just in two pages. God. People don't talk like that all the time.

- MJ is scared and upset when she wakes up even though she knows Johnny and recognizes the FF. But she turns into MJGoblin for no reason. Ohhhkaaaaaaay. Johnny decides to calm her down by talking calmly and bringing her food. Oh wait, no he doesn't - he lights up and starts flying around. Good writing! Makes total sense.

- Scorpion clone sees her, triggers something to make her revert back to MJ, then passes out for no ****ing reason. Brilliant.

- All the swirling garbage in the Ock/Peter/Jess fight hurt my eyes and went on for pages and pages. Worst Bagley art I've ever seen.

- One minute Ock is worried about Peter accepting defeat so as to better define his character (wha--?), the next he just wants him to die. Right.

- The FBI director actually calls Peter a "lousy piece of --". Seriously. Give me a ****ing break.

- In a stroke of convenient timing, Richard suddenly and for no reason and without explanation starts wasting away and dies. Y'know, just because it's the last issue of the arc.

- Peter's emotionless recap of the story's events toward the end was another masterful piece of monologue. :roll:

- Doctor Storm has barely had time to research the Oz formula, noting that his notes are incomplete, yet he has a cure. Fer ****'s sake.

- And in the biggest cliffhanger surprise in the history of comics, we find out Peter can stop being Spider-Man. WOW! I wonder what will happen.

I wish Bendis would --

-1000000000 / 5

And **** you, Bendis.

So you burning your comics and shutting down the site yet or what? :lol:

.This book is a huge pile of --

I wish Bendis would --

-1000000000 / 5

And **** you, Bendis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Yes, I agree. **** you, Bendis. USM is absolute ****, and you are a ****ing waste of time.

I wish Bendis would --

-1000000000 / 5

And **** you, Bendis.
E, you're my hero.
When is that scheduled for?
:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Yes, I agree. **** you, Bendis. USM is absolute ****, and you are a ****ing waste of time.
Seconded.
It said "SERVER NOT FOUND".
That's because it's still available.

Duh.

Couple questions.

1) Does anyone have a link to the amusing ****load of praise #104 is (most likely) getting on the Bendis Boards? That would be fun to read.

and

2) I must have stopped functioning when reading the Gwen parts of this arc -- can anyone tell me who the heck the Gwen in this story was? I know Peter said in Part 8 that she was cloned, but I thought I heard Bendis say something about this being THE Gwen, back from the dead, although sometimes being able to transform into Carnage. :p So, yeah, if this is indeed a clone Gwen, where did they verify that in the arc, and why, again, does she sporadically become Carnage? And please, I know you'll want to answer this question with so much sarcasm/snark, since I'm sounding as genuinely interested as someone on the USM letters page does, but I really do want (at least one) honest answer. :D

I'm curious about the answer to this. Because I'm in a similar mind.

What say you, E?

I tell ya, if I hadn't read Promethea last night I probably would have pulled the plug today.

Cool. I just bought it. :D

Couple questions.

1) Does anyone have a link to the amusing ****load of praise #104 is (most likely) getting on the Bendis Boards? That would be fun to read.

and

2) I must have stopped functioning when reading the Gwen parts of this arc -- can anyone tell me who the heck the Gwen in this story was? I know Peter said in Part 8 that she was cloned, but I thought I heard Bendis say something about this being THE Gwen, back from the dead, although sometimes being able to transform into Carnage. :p So, yeah, if this is indeed a clone Gwen, where did they verify that in the arc, and why, again, does she sporadically become Carnage? And please, I know you'll want to answer this question with so much sarcasm/snark, since I'm sounding as genuinely interested as someone on the USM letters page does, but I really do want (at least one) honest answer. :D

Here's another - what happened to May?

And another, for good measure - how does anyone at Marvel think this is any more important or cataclysmic than any other crap story this book has had? What is the consequence? Now that it's all said and done - who cares?! I say this of course knowing that May will be fine - to suggest otherwise is insulting to our intelligence.

At this exact moment in time, I'm not sure I will bother with this book next month. I just couldn't care less. I CERTAINLY will not be buying it or any other USM issue (yes, I bought this issue in order to have the complete arc to make it easier to sell).

So we're going to be Seven Soldiers of Victory eventually? I have problem with that, it's an awesome name, and it doesn't have to necessarily relate to the actual comic. :rockon:

So we're going to be Seven Soldiers of Victory eventually? I have problem with that, it's an awesome name, and it doesn't have to necessarily relate to the actual comic. :rockon:

I'm not sure what I will do with it.

A wiki on the series would be awesome.

I tell ya, if I hadn't read Promethea last night I probably would have pulled the plug today.

I'm thinking about just dedicating myself to Vertigo comics from now on. I'm waiting to see how UXM turns out in the next couple of months for the final verdict. . .

I just bought and read this. More MJ/Peter nonsense...bleh. (on top of everything else)

I'm going to go and cut my wrists now.

I just bought and read this. More MJ/Peter nonsense...bleh. (on top of everything else)

I'm going to go and cut my wrists now.

Wade Wilson - "He's actually an emo."

Sorry, wrong thread.

In a stroke of convenient timing, Richard suddenly and for no reason and without explanation starts wasting away and dies. Y'know, just because it's the last issue of the arc.
Totally! I thought my comic was missing some pages - WTF was that? No explanation either, we were just supposed to assume that Richard's cells were degenerating? They couldn't throw that in there BEFORE that? Howsabout you spare one page of those worthless spreads of Magnetopus throwing **** around and have a little explanation?

These last two issues had Bendis throwing away every single major change he dangled before us - throwing a wrench into a well set-up arc and reducing it to below average. 2.5/5. Even one of the IGN reviewers was like 'Yeah, I don't know what you're smoking, but this is crap'.

So let me get this straight - the major changes we have coming out of this are 1) Peter's in love with MJ again (back to issue 65 again!) and 2) Aunt May is in the hospital. That's really the only bigtime long-lasting effects here. Outside of that, we've got Spider-Woman and Gwarnage free and the Scorpion is still alive. Wasn't Kitty supposed to come swooping and save the day? Why even have that scene last issue?

Ugh.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem you're having is that this was sold as the last issue of an eight-issue arc when there's clearly at least one more issue left. I have no idea why they aren't marketing it as such.

Latest posts

Back