Ultimate Spiderman #91 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Ok......now this was a good issue.

Quick synopsis:
We open with Spidey in mid-battle with The Ringer!!! Spidey it seems is in trouble....when all of a sudden his girlfriend Kitty floats down to save him.

A brief exchange of snappy dialouge with the bad guy and then she phases Peter for the first time. The save the day and head off just as police show up.

Peter and Kitty talk about her new costume. She says she made it so she can be seen in public with Peter. Her logic is...Kitty Pride: X-Man seen in public with Spiderman.......then there's Kitty Pride seen in public with Peter Parker. She doesn't want anyone to start putting 2 and 2 together. This also ties into the status of their relationship. She wants to move forward and Peter is reluctant. He likes her...but what about his Aunt? How will she react to him dating a publically known mutant? Her ride shows up and she has to leave. They kiss goodbye and as they kiss she phases thru him again accidentally.

On the ride home Kitty worries that she has scared off Peter. Classic Bendis dialogue.

Upon her arrival back at the mansion---she finds that no one is there....until she sees Wolverine. She say hi...and he attacks her. Kitty runs away thru a wall and runs into Storm. Storm attacks her as well. We then see Kitty running thru walls. As she tries to escape she is electrocuted and faints.

We then cut to the Parker residence and we see Aunt May getting dressed up for a night on the town. Peter says she looks different. He then notices the X-Jet above the house. He hops into it worrying that something might be wrong with Kitty. The jet is on autopilot and seals the door shut and take Peter to the X-Mansion.

Once there he is filled with questions. He sees Kitty and approaches her. Kitty suddenly electro-shocks him and causes him to pass out. When then see Kitty start to blur a bit.......surprise---it's DEADPOOL and the Gang!!!!!!

To be continued......

I liked this issue a lot. Very Peter and Kitty oriented. That's a good thing. It was very reminiscant of the Annual. The art was just ok. It seemed to lack that extra wow factor that the Sable arc had. Writing was Classic Bendis all the way. It was the storytelling that made me fall for the book in the first place.

A couple of cool things:
  • The Ringer said he was from Waldorf MD!!!! :rockon: (that's where I'm from originally....its so small that I would never think anyone ever heard of it)
  • I like how they said that Kitty is NOT Spidergirl
  • Aunt May actually looked hot...........for an older woman. What?!?!? Tell me Sofia Loren isn't still hot.... :oops:

I seriously have no real complaints about this issue. Very good. A solid 4/5. :D

Victor Von Doom said:
A couple of cool things:
  • The Ringer said he was from Waldorf MD!!!! :rockon: (that's where I'm from originally....its so small that I would never think anyone ever heard of it)

Thats cool. But apparently he's really from Ohio, at least according to his license.

• I like how they said that Kitty is NOT Spidergirl

I liked that as well. Also liked how they were mentioning how Spidey's villains were all kind of lame.

• Aunt May actually looked hot...........for an older woman. What?!?!? Tell me Sofia Loren isn't still hot.... :oops:

Sofia Loren isn't still hot, nor has she been since the late 1970's. But to each his own.

I seriously have no real complaints about this issue. Very good. A solid 4/5. :D

I thought it was only ok, something seemed to be missing, though I'm not sure what.

I'll give it a 2/5.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
Thats cool. But apparently he's really from Ohio, at least according to his license.

They still mentioned it!!!! :p

I liked that as well. Also liked how they were mentioning how Spidey's villains were all kind of lame.

His daily ones are.

Sofia Loren isn't still hot, nor has she been since the late 1970's. But to each his own.

Meh....maybe. The last thing I saw her in was Ready to Wear and Grumpier Old Men. Time might've kicker her *** since then.

So maybe a better comparison would be Rene Russo or Annette O'Toole??? :?

Oh yeah....the bonus was it looks like Deadpool is still a sarcastic ***........maybe. It's still too early to tell.

Victor Von Doom said:
They still mentioned it!!!! :p

True.

His daily ones are.

Definitly.

Meh....maybe. The last thing I saw her in was Ready to Wear and Grumpier Old Men. Time might've kicker her *** since then.

So maybe a better comparison would be Rene Russo or Annette O'Toole??? :?

Rene Russo I guess...O'Toole doesn't do it for me.

Oh yeah....the bonus was it looks like Deadpool is still a sarcastic ***........maybe. It's still too early to tell.

I agree, it is too early to tell, but Bendis would have to be a complete moron to change that aspect of the character. So here's to hoping Bendis isn't a complete moron.

Hey, I thought that Sophia Loren died? Maybe I'm just a *** but whatever...that's not important.

This issue sounds cool except for, well, having the X-Jet pick up Peter (i mean, i get that it was Deadpool, but still...). Maybe it would've been better if Kitty was just gonna invite him over cos he knew Aunt May was going out for the evening...so he would've taken the autopilot X-Jet without question and THEN it would've played on as usual.
Or maybe I'm just being a *** again!?

Oh well. SOunds cool. Better than the start of the last arc at least. Hopefully it doesn't fizzle out by the end and I hope Kitty finally gets introduced to Aunt May!

I enjoyed this issue... Haven't gotten to enjoy #90 yet since Marvel hasn't sent it to me, but enough said about that!

I have mixed feelings about the Kitty and Peter relationship. First of all, what is with the "sweety" and the "honey"? I don't think anyone that age would really do that... Also, Kitty's dialogue seemed way too annoying at this point, but it's entirely in her character, which I am beginning to like a bit more now that Bendis is writing her a lot... It's good that one particular X-Man is getting some solo attention. I do like the tension between them, though... With Peter trying to hide his identity and Kitty trying to live seperately from the X-Men while trying to respect Peter all the while is a very cool set up... I kind of get the feeling that this relationship is doomed, but it'll be fun to read while it lasts.

Also, are Kitty and Peter stupid or something? Let's say people really DO notice that Peter and Kitty are hanging out. Peter and the girl that phases through walls from the X-Men are hanging out. Now, remember - people are noticing. Is a costume really going to hide her unique ability to phase through walls? Hmm... Kitty'll have to think a bit more about concealing her identity I think.

Other than a few minor gripes, I would say that this arc is shaping up to be a good one. Deadpool and the Gang look totally rad and I'm looking forward to getting to know their characters. Is that Avalanche? Maverick? Gorgeous George? Who are these people? Also, do you think Deadpool is tied to Mojo at all? It's entirely likely... :)

3.5/5

Goodwill said:
I enjoyed this issue... Haven't gotten to enjoy #90 yet since Marvel hasn't sent it to me, but enough said about that!

I have mixed feelings about the Kitty and Peter relationship. First of all, what is with the "sweety" and the "honey"? I don't think anyone that age would really do that... Also, Kitty's dialogue seemed way too annoying at this point, but it's entirely in her character, which I am beginning to like a bit more now that Bendis is writing her a lot... It's good that one particular X-Man is getting some solo attention. I do like the tension between them, though... With Peter trying to hide his identity and Kitty trying to live seperately from the X-Men while trying to respect Peter all the while is a very cool set up... I kind of get the feeling that this relationship is doomed, but it'll be fun to read while it lasts.

Also, are Kitty and Peter stupid or something? Let's say people really DO notice that Peter and Kitty are hanging out. Peter and the girl that phases through walls from the X-Men are hanging out. Now, remember - people are noticing. Is a costume really going to hide her unique ability to phase through walls? Hmm... Kitty'll have to think a bit more about concealing her identity I think.

Other than a few minor gripes, I would say that this arc is shaping up to be a good one. Deadpool and the Gang look totally rad and I'm looking forward to getting to know their characters. Is that Avalanche? Maverick? Gorgeous George? Who are these people? Also, do you think Deadpool is tied to Mojo at all? It's entirely likely... :)

3.5/5

That's the same grade I would give it.

Two weeks ago, #90 came out! How many weeks till #92?

You know, I'm sure this will be a good story and all, but I really can't wait to get to the Parker Legacy arc. Does anyone think these throwaway villains like the Ringer will have a bigger role in that story? Hopefully, I think they will be explained better and featured more prominently in the future. The Bendis hype machine has me so pumped up for issue #100 that I can't appreciate the current story.

SlamminSam56 said:
You know, I'm sure this will be a good story and all, but I really can't wait to get to the Parker Legacy arc. Does anyone think these throwaway villains like the Ringer will have a bigger role in that story? Hopefully, I think they will be explained better and featured more prominently in the future. The Bendis hype machine has me so pumped up for issue #100 that I can't appreciate the current story.
Gonna suck to be you for the next three months then...

Good start.

Well those who love the Kitty/Peter relationship have to be real happy with this. I just didn't like Kitty's "I just scared him off" That seemed like it was out of nowhere. But the rest was very cool interaction. Good ultimization of The Ringmaster. Kitty's new outfit... Bagley makes her look good....

Um about Aunt May being hott? I always thought of her as a middle aged women with grey hairs. Not an ancient grandmother like in 616. But there's nothing here that makes her remind me of Sophie Lauren (BTW I'm good friends with a second cousin of hers and yes she's hella hott) But yeah, that seemed like a JTG - offlike comment, VVD.

Anyone think that Bendis has added to Kitty's Ultimate powers in this issue? Was it ever shown she can float on air? I'm not just talking about the ship picking her up but the first panel she appears in has her floating and when the ship does come she seems to be stepping up to it like she's walking on air.

Possibly, does this take place after Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk? Kitty asks Logan where he's been and says he's been gone. I think so...

Enter Deadpool... "Faaar Out" and "Bonus" (even though it was said in the issue once already) seem to be teases to his sense of humor. Still not enough to get pysched about but his first ultimate appearance alone looks awesome.

4/5

Last edited:
2/5

The cutesy talk between Peter and Kitty wasn't funny and was just way too much.

Ringer - probably the worst villain that has ever appeared in this book. Definitely the worst costume design. I don't care how much it may look like 616, that's not the point. Stupid. Bad job by Bagley.

Kind of disappointing, but ah well.

UltimateE said:
2/5

The cutesy talk between Peter and Kitty wasn't funny and was just way too much.

Ringer - probably the worst villain that has ever appeared in this book. Definitely the worst costume design. I don't care how much it may look like 616, that's not the point. Stupid. Bad job by Bagley.

Kind of disappointing, but ah well.

^ Hates Deadpool

It was a good story. I'm tickled as h*** there wasn't some mention of Mary Jane. There is more of a potential here for outstanding stories than you can shake a stick at. If the Ultimate Universe really wants to stand out on it's own this is just one of the areas it can really make a name for itself. I hope that the Peter/Kitty (that looks funny when you put those two together) stories continue as long as the SM/Mary Jane ones have.

4/5

I liked the Kitty/Spidey dynamic of the annual better, but I'm sure that's because that was entirely the point of the thing. And yes, this relationship is doomed. Dooomed!
As for the issue, these "reavers" (according to the marvel summary, who called them "marauders*" at first) seem to harken back to an X-men villian rather than a spider-man villian. (I guess Deadpool is an X-"villian", too, if not specific to X-men.) Raising questions, which y'all might know the answers to already:
(1) Is this going to cross over into Ultimate X-Men?
(2) Are these the ultimate Reavers?
(3) If so, how often will Ultimate Heroes encounter Ultimate Villians borrowed from other 616 titles? I find that fascinating.

P.S.: Certainly the lumpy cyborg with what look like sores and all the chub got the bad deal. (Reminded me of a cross between 616's Arclight and Plague. eeew)

*616 FAVES I wouldn't mind seeing ultimized one bit, btw... (although I was mortified to read they would be led by deadpool.)

I liked the issue. The interaction between Peter and Kitty was cute. The tension for the next issue is high.

Nothing to really complain about.

Victor Von Doom said:
A couple of cool things:

NO ****IN WAY!!!!

OMG, I live in Medina Ohio, where the Ringer is actually from!

I was like Holy **** this is so cool! Bendis remembered my little 'burb!

I seriously freaked out!

Wow, I hope this makes my local paper...

Hahahhahah the ringer is from Medina! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

:rockon: x 100000000000000000000

Last edited:
I'm agreeing with E. This sounds boring.

UltimateE said:
Even if it was meant to look that way?

And it should be noted I have not read the issue. Just asking that question.

icemastertron said:
Even if it was meant to look that way?

Yes. Because even though it looked stupid it was functional. It didn't look at all like something some loser villain would cobble together.

Latest posts

Back