Ultimate Thor!

It's not better than your dream (check out my reply) but, it was okay. I'm not sure where it's going, so I'm just sitting back and waiting to see where it goes.

Shame it's only 4 issues. What's with that, anyways? It can't be easy to tell a full story in just 4 short issues, why does Marvel keep insisting on using that format?

The more this mini goes, the more I think that the original axe-hammer Mjolnir will be retconned as the weapon that was given to Thor by the European Super-Soldier Initiative, while the 616 hammer is the mystical Mjolnir forged in Asgard. And Thor will be revealed as relying on technology for most of Ultimates 1 and 2 while still being an Asgard God in history and personality, and the end of Ultimates 2 enabled him to get back his original hammer.

Shame it's only 4 issues. What's with that, anyways? It can't be easy to tell a full story in just 4 short issues, why does Marvel keep insisting on using that format?

That doesn't seem that short to me.

Anyone notice that they never really show Dr. Blake's face in full? Looks like he might be someone we already know.

That doesn't seem that short to me.

Thats what she said...in an attempt to be merciful.

Anyone notice that they never really show Dr. Blake's face in full? Looks like he might be someone we already know.

I did notice that. Might be cool if it was shown he had a sort of Golden eye patch, or even just a golden retina to hint that Blake is Odin.

Ultimate Thor was the most awesome comics I've read since monthes. Hickman is brilliant and Pacheco has proven he can handle Ultimate arts (Ultimate Avengers 1-6 and Ultimate Thor 1-4).
I pray they can take the train to replace Millar's departure.

The more this mini goes, the more I think that the original axe-hammer Mjolnir will be retconned as the weapon that was given to Thor by the European Super-Soldier Initiative, while the 616 hammer is the mystical Mjolnir forged in Asgard. And Thor will be revealed as relying on technology for most of Ultimates 1 and 2 while still being an Asgard God in history and personality, and the end of Ultimates 2 enabled him to get back his original hammer.

Somebody gets the prize. Heh.

But seriously, I freaking loved this.

Just finished it. It was very nicely done.

Unfortunately, it's about five years too late.

This should've come out around the beginning of ULTIMATES 2. Because then when it said "BELIEVE" at the end, it would've meant more.

Anyhow, I liked the last issue, but the first three weren't great. I felt the problem is, and always will be, in focusing on Asgard. I would've preferred to see it done purely in man's world, with Thorlief discovering he's Thor. I would've liked to see it exactly as though it had been done during the gap between ULTIMATES 1 and 2. All the time-jumping and Nazis just seemed... tacked-on. Baldur being Donald Blake was bleh. It was all right, just nothing special. And things got lost in all this confusion; such as Thor not having any powers.

But the feel at the end of the issue, as we see it build up to him smacking in Hulk, that stuff was absolutely perfect. Both in terms of writing, how Hickman linked the scenes together, and Pacheco in perfectly recreating the original pictures.

*sigh* Ultimate Thor is one of the best superheroes created in the last twenty years. Oh well.

I'm torn. I liked it overall and the quality of the writing was very high.

But I really hate the "reborn as a man" stuff and relying on modern technology. I don't understand the point or reason to making this change.

I liked it a lot better when I thought that Loki has so thoroughly screwed with reality that the European Initiative believed that they had "created" Thor.

Exactly. The idea that the Initiative knew all along drives me crazy.

However, Thor being powerless without the belt and hammer is totally in keeping with THE ULTIMATES.

However, Thor being powerless without the belt and hammer is totally in keeping with THE ULTIMATES.

I guess, but that could have been explained as Loki screwing with reality, too.

I guess, but that could have been explained as Loki screwing with reality, too.

Or it could be that his belt is one of the sources of Thor's power in norse mythology. So taken it will still depower him when keeping the magic angle

Latest posts

Back