Ultimate TPB timeline

i thought the ultimates annual was included in the second annual tpb

It was, but I haven't included the Annual TPB's in the list, mainly because they would be a ***** to place and also so far every annual has been collected in the "normal" trades also. If it turns out that the Ultimate Annuals won't be collected in U2 V2, then I'll have to incorporate it somehow.

EDIT: What, ***** is censored!? What if I was talking about a female dog?

Last edited:
Hi. This list was so useful for me. I did not want to spoil anything while reading, so reading the list in this order minimised that. So, Thank you very much.

I wanted to ask what issues would be in Volume 16 of Ultimate X-men and Volume 17 of Ultimate Spider-Man, because I want to collect the direct edition issues, so I was going to start collecting where the paperbacs left off. (I would get the back issues, but I can't seem to find them anywhere, and I live in the UK, which does not make it any easier.)

Oh, and, will the 2 Ultimates annuals be in one book, because 9 issues in one TBP does not seem unreasonable to me?

Hi. This list was so useful for me. I did not want to spoil anything while reading, so reading the list in this order minimised that. So, Thank you very much.
Hey. Glad it was helpful, it was designed to make things a little easier especially for new readers.

I wanted to ask what issues would be in Volume 16 of Ultimate X-men and Volume 17 of Ultimate Spider-Man, because I want to collect the direct edition issues, so I was going to start collecting where the paperbacs left off. (I would get the back issues, but I can't seem to find them anywhere, and I live in the UK, which does not make it any easier.)
UXM Vol. 16 will collect the 4-issue Cable arc and probably the two "aftermath" issues, so that would be # 75-80. And USM Vol. 17 will collect the 9-issue Clone Saga, so that's # 97-105.

Oh, and, will the 2 Ultimates annuals be in one book, because 9 issues in one TBP does not seem unreasonable to me?
It's unknown how the Ultimates Annuals will be collected, but the most logical thing to do would be to collect them both in U2 Vol. 2. But we'll have to wait and see.

It's unknown how the Ultimates Annuals will be collected, but the most logical thing to do would be to collect them both in U2 Vol. 2. But we'll have to wait and see.

They will.

Amazon says Annuals Vol.2 will be released on 7 Feb.

They also have dates for:

*Edit---didn't see that USM and UFF were already added w/ dates before.

Last edited:
But my point was that the Ultimates annuals should also be collected in the Ultimates 2 Vol. 2 TPB. I won't add the Annuals TPB to the list if I don't have to.

I agree. Its obligatory otherwise since all the other Annuals (except the Ultimates Annuals at this point) are collected already in their respective titles' trades. I really hope the two Ultimates Annuals (#1 and #2) are collected in the Ultimates 2 Vol. 2 TPB. Of course, that would weigh in at a whopper of a trade (around 280 pages), collecting the two over-sized Annuals, plus issues #7-13 of Ultimates 2, of which the last four are over-sized books as well.

Of course, as the USM "Clone Saga" trade proves, they aren't adverse to doing Ultimate collections that large (Clone Saga is said to be 216 pages according to Amazon.com...).

I do believe I heard Millar doesn't want the annuals collected in the trades. And he'll probably get what he wants.

Besides, 1 would make more sense with the first trade (for size and story reasons) and 2 could probably fit in with Ultimates 3. I don't know. This is why I buy the monthlies.

I do believe I heard Millar doesn't want the annuals collected in the trades. And he'll probably get what he wants.

You're right about the first sentence and probably right about the second.

Besides, 1 would make more sense with the first trade (for size and story reasons) and 2 could probably fit in with Ultimates 3. I don't know.

Agree about both points.

This is why I buy the monthlies.

I buy the monthlies, then replace them with trades as they come out (usually sell the single issues in bulk lots on Ebay after).

I was looking on the marvel site the other day, and it said something about USM Clone Saga been a primium book. Does this mean that we will have to wait months for the TPB to be released? It seemed to take forever for the UIM one to be released in TPB form.

I was looking on the marvel site the other day, and it said something about USM Clone Saga been a primium book. Does this mean that we will have to wait months for the TPB to be released? It seemed to take forever for the UIM one to be released in TPB form.

I think you mean Premium Hardcover...They are smaller than regular hardcovers but slightly bigger than TPBs. UIM took forever to come out in TPB because it came out in Premium HC first. That's usually the case if a book comes out in Premium HC first - months later it comes out as a regular HC (New Avengers, Young Avengers, etc.).

I think you mean Premium Hardcover...They are smaller than regular hardcovers but slightly bigger than TPBs. UIM took forever to come out in TPB because it came out in Premium HC first. That's usually the case if a book comes out in Premium HC first - months later it comes out as a regular HC (New Avengers, Young Avengers, etc.).
Yes, I did mean that. Sorry for the ambiguity (if there was any).

I bought the Premium hard cover for Squadron Supreme, and I think that I would rather have the TPB. Looks like it will be a while before I get to get that volume then.

BTW, is there a limit to the number of issues which they have in a book? Or, is there a minumum number of pages? Because, I was thinking that if the Ultimates Annuals are so thick (I have not seen or read them yet) then, would they be able to go into a book on their own? I remember Volume 4 (I think) of UFF had only 4 issues in, and was pretty thin. Would they do this with other series?

BTW, is there a limit to the number of issues which they have in a book? Or, is there a minumum number of pages? Because, I was thinking that if the Ultimates Annuals are so thick (I have not seen or read them yet) then, would they be able to go into a book on their own? I remember Volume 4 (I think) of UFF had only 4 issues in, and was pretty thin. Would they do this with other series?

The Ultimate Six TPB was 7 issues...House of M was 8. 1602 was 8 I believe and I think those were larger than normal issues. The 2nd Sentry was 8. The first Sentry was 9 I think.

Civil War: Frontline is 10 issues but is being split into 2 TPBs for some reason.

So...I don't know if you mean policy-wise or in terms of what the binding, etc. will support. They don't seem to go more than 8 or 9 but that's a policy thing - you can bind much more than that and have it hold up OK.

Great list thanks looking at it as i'm thinking of buying a few tpbs next month to catch up.

Ultimate spisder-man 16

Ultimate team up Ultimate collection

Ultimates v2 (i think thats the second book right?)

and maybe the Galactus trilogy or Ultimate X-men 3

Yeah just like to say this list has been useful for me as a good read order, where as DirishB's works for looking up the continuity of things. I just thought to mimic his i might suggest putting Marvel Zombies tpb, inbetween crossover and frightful. and maybe just have a little list of the supremeverse at the bottom. Try this:

Supreme Power Vol. 1 - Contact (Supreme Power #1-6)
Supreme Power: Nighthawk (Supreme Power: Nighthawk #1-6)
Doctor Spectrum: Full Spectrum (Doctor Spectrum #1-6)
Supreme Power Vol 2 - Power and Principalities (Supreme Power #7-12)
Supreme Power Vol. 3 - High Command (Supreme Power #13-18)
Supreme Power: Hyperion (Supreme Power: Hyperion #1-5)
Squadron Supreme Vol. 1 - The Pre-war Years (Squadron Supreme #1-6)

not yet collected
Squadron Supreme Vol. 2 - Turnabout (ss #7-
Squadron Supreme:Hyperion vs Nighthawk (#1-5)
Ultimate Power (#1-9)

technically nighthawk and doc spectrum happen at same time as sp vol 1, .but it makes sense to read supreme power vol 1 first, and then if you read soc spec 2nd you've pretty much read the same thing twice so i put nighthawk second.

Can anyone tell me What Ultimates tpb there? I got the first one but seeing people talk ultimates 2 vol 1 eect...... has me confused like crazy as to which ultimates book buy next.

Can anyone tell me What Ultimates tpb there? I got the first one but seeing people talk ultimates 2 vol 1 eect...... has me confused like crazy as to which ultimates book buy next.

Ultimates 1 Vol. 1
Ultimates 1 Vol. 2
Ultimates 2 Vol. 1

not yet collected: Ultimates 2 #7-13, and Ultimates Annual #1-2

is that what you meant?

Ultimates 1 Vol. 1
Ultimates 1 Vol. 2
Ultimates 2 Vol. 1

not yet collected: Ultimates 2 #7-13, and Ultimates Annual #1-2

is that what you meant?

Ah ha thank you.

I was getting confused if i buy ultimates 2 or ultimates v2

Ultimates 1 Vol. 2 is Homeland Security?

Ultimate volumes:

Ults 1.1 - Super human
Ults 1.2 - Homeland Security
Ults 2.1 - Gods and Monsters

and when they do it
Ults 2.2 - Grand Theft America

Thank you

I know I look stupider than normal asking about this but I had to be sure so thanks.

Latest posts

Back