Ultimate TPB timeline

vintsukka

Here is a chronological list of all the Marvel Ultimate trade paperbacks. So if you're a TPB collector and looking for a "correct" reading order of the books, here's one.

Giving credit where credit is due, the listing is based on DIrishB's excellent timeline, which I'm going to exploit in this listing in the future too. This is just to help place the TPB's and it's meant to be a little "easier" and less thorough than DIrishB's one.

The list consists of all Ultimate TPB's released to this day, plus all upcoming ones that have been solicited. The entries in blue are upcoming books.

Of course this list can't be "the absolute truth" when it comes to chronology because there are overlapping and intertwining arcs, but the idea is to list them in an order that makes the most sense when read in TPB format. For a more comprehensive timeline (including among others Supreme Power, Marvel Zombies and the USM video game), go to the aforementioned timeline by DIrishB.

• Ultimate Iron Man Vol. 1 (Ultimate Iron Man # 1-5)
  • Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra Vol. 1 (Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra # 1-4)
  • Ultimate Elektra - Devil's Due (Ultimate Elektra # 1-5)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 1 - The Fantastic (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 1-6)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 2 - Doom (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 7-12)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1 - Power and Responsibility (Ultimate Spider-Man # 1-7)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 - Learning Curve (Ultimate Spider-Man # 8-13)
  • Ultimate Marvel Team-Up Vol. 1 (Ultimate Marvel Team-Up # 1-5)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 1 - The Tomorrow People (Ultimate X-Men # 1-6)
  • Ultimate Marvel Team-Up # 6-8 *
  • Ultimate X-Men # ½ *
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 3 - Double Trouble (Ultimate Spider-Man # 14-21)
  • Ultimate Marvel Team-Up Vol. 2 (Ultimate Marvel Team-Up # 9-13) **
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 2 - Return to Weapon X (Ultimate X-Men # 7-12)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 4 - Legacy (Ultimate Spider-Man # 22-27)
  • Ultimate Marvel Team-Up Vol. 3 (Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #14-16, Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 3 - World Tour (Ultimate X-Men # 13-20)
  • The Ultimates Vol. 1 - Super-Human (The Ultimates # 1-6)
  • Ultimate Adventures - One Tin Soldier (Ultimate Adventures # 1-6)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 5 - Public Scrutiny (Ultimate Spider-Man # 28-32)
  • The Ultimates Vol. 2 - Homeland Security (The Ultimates # 7-13)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 6 - Venom (Ultimate Spider-Man # 33-39)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 4 - Hellfire and Brimstone (Ultimate X-Men # 21-25)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 5 - Ultimate War (Ultimate War # 1-4)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 6 - Return of the King (Ultimate X-Men # 26-33)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7 - Irresponsible (Ultimate Spider-Man # 40-45)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man # ½ *
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 8 - Cats & Kings (Ultimate Spider-Man # 47-53)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 9 - Ultimate Six (Ultimate Spider-Man # 46, Ultimate Six # 1-7)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 7 - Blockbuster (Ultimate X-Men # 34-39)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 10 - Hollywood (Ultimate Spider-Man # 54-59)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 8 - New Mutants (Ultimate X-Men # 40-45)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 9 - The Tempest (Ultimate X-Men # 46-49)
  • Ultimate Galactus Book 1 - Nightmare (Ultimate Nightmare # 1-5)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 11 - Carnage (Ultimate Spider-Man # 60-65)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 12 - Superstars (Ultimate Spider-Man # 66-71)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 13 - Hobgoblin (Ultimate Spider-Man # 72-78)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 14 - Warriors (Ultimate Spider-Man # 79-85)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 3 - N-Zone (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 13-18)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 4 - Inhuman (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 19-20, Annual # 1)
  • Ultimate Galactus Book 2 - Secret (Ultimate Secret # 1-4)
  • Ultimate Galactus Book 3 - Extinction (Ultimate Extinction # 1-5)
  • Ultimate Vision (Ultimate Vision # 0-5) - Released on 12/26/2007
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 10 - Cry Wolf (Ultimate X-Men # 50-53)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 5 - Crossover (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 21-26)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 11 - The Most Dangerous Game (Ultimate X-Men # 54-57)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 6: Frightful (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 27-32)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 12 - Hard Lessons (Ultimate X-Men # 58-60, Annual # 1)
  • The Ultimates 2 Vol. 1 - Gods and Monsters (The Ultimates 2 # 1-6)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 13 - Magnetic North (Ultimate X-Men # 61-65)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 15 - Silver Sable (Ultimate Spider-Man Annual # 1, # 86-90)
  • Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four (Ultimate X4 # 1-2, Official Handbook of the Ultimate Marvel Universe # 1-2)
  • The Ultimates Annual # 1 *
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 14: Phoenix? (Ultimate X-Men # 66-71)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 16 - Deadpool (Ultimate Spider-Man # 91-96, Annual # 2)
  • The Ultimates 2 Vol. 2: Grand Theft America (The Ultimates 2 # 7-13)
  • The Ultimates Annual # 2 *
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 15: Magical (Ultimate X-Men # 72-74, Annual # 2)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 17: Clone Saga (Ultimate Spider-Man # 97-105)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 7: God War (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 33-38)
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 16: Cable (Ultimate X-Men # 75-80)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 8: Devils (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 39-41, Annual # 2)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 18: Ultimate Knights (Ultimate Spider-Man # 106-111)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol. 9: Silver Surfer (Ultimate Fantastic Four # 42-46) - On sale 12/19/2007
  • Ultimate X-Men Vol. 17: Sentinels (Ultimate X-Men # 81-88) - On sale 01/23/2008

* Issue ½ of Ultimate Spider-Man and issue ½ of Ultimate X-Men have not been collected in TPB form and it's unknown if they ever will be, so I added them to the list as individual issues. Ultimate Marvel Team-Up # 6-8 aren't included in the first three UMTU TPB's, but they are collected in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up Ultimate Collection TPB, which collects the whole 16-issue run as well as Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special. The Ultimates Annuals # 1-2 are collected in The Ultimate Annuals Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 but not in the trades for The Ultimates.

** The Ultimate Marvel Team-Up Vol. 2 TPB collects issues 9-13 of the series, but since issue 9 is said to be "out of continuity" by many, most notably its writer Brian Michael Bendis, it shouldn't be considered as a part of the timeline.

Not (yet) collected in TPB:
  • Ultimate Spider-Man # 112 ->
  • Ultimate X-Men # 89 ->
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four # 47 ->
  • Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk # 1 ->
  • Ultimate Power # 1 ->
  • Ultimate Spider-Man # ½ *
  • Ultimate X-Men # ½ *
  • The Ultimates Annual # 1-2 *

Corrections, comments and questions are of course always welcome.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
And if the esteemed moderators deem it worthy, would be nice if this would be sticky.

Agreed. Nice work. :D

vintsukka said:
Here is a chronological list of all the Marvel Ultimate trade paperbacks. So if you're a TPB collector and looking for a "correct" reading order of the books, here's one.

Giving credit where credit is due, the listing is based on DIrishB's excellent timeline, which I'm going to exploit in this listing in the future too. This is just to help place the TPB's and it's meant to be a little "easier" and less thorough than DIrishB's one.

The list consists of all Ultimate TPB's released to this day, and I will try to keep it that way. That means that I'll try to update the list when necessary, but also that I won't add anything until it's officially released in TPB form.

Great to see this Vint, glad its stickied, should be very useful for the many UC members who collect the TPBs only. I'll be sure to post here or let you know somehow assuming there's any big changes with the individual issue timeline, so you can make changes accordingly. Anyway, again, awesome job and look forward to seeing where this goes!

DIrishB said:
Great to see this Vint, glad its stickied, should be very useful for the many UC members who collect the TPBs only. I'll be sure to post here or let you know somehow assuming there's any big changes with the individual issue timeline, so you can make changes accordingly. Anyway, again, awesome job and look forward to seeing where this goes!
Thanks for that DIrishB, but I think I'll follow the progress of your timeline pretty closely so hopefully I'll spot any big changes myself.

this is pretty nice.

i was wondering if there was a place where i could find out what issues weren't released in TPB and most likely never will be. so i could buy them seperately.

Frapalino said:
this is pretty nice.

i was wondering if there was a place where i could find out what issues weren't released in TPB and most likely never will be. so i could buy them seperately.

The only ones not collected right now are....

Ultimate X-men #1/2
Ultimate Spider-Man #1/2
Ultimate Marvel-Team Up #7,8,9

and that's it. The Annuals are going to be collected like this (I think)

X-men (Is included in the volume 12 and I think the 1/2 might be too)
Spider-Man (No information yet)
Ultimates (No information yet but is pretty sure it will be in Ultimates 2 volume 2)
Fantastic Four (No information yet but will probaly be in volume 4)

there's also spotlight comic coming out in a couple of months will both 1/2 issues in it. I'm getting that.

There will supposedly be a seperate trade with the annuals in it aswell as Millar said he'd only do annuals if there was. The USM annual is coming in Vol. 15 I presume, The UXM annual is in Vol.12, The UFF annual is in Vol.4 and The Ults. Annual is presumed to be in Vol.2.

the only thing i see that needs added to your not yet released list is ultimate iron man 1-3, and ultimate secret 1-2. great job with this btw vintsukka.

would it be possible to put the "not yet released in tpb form yet" items into the main tpb list where they belong chronologically, and maybe just color code them red or something? maybe have a not explaining that the color coded items are not yet released in tpb form. that or something similar? it would make the list easier to read when it comes to the few issues that might never be published in a tpb (spidey 1/2, x-men 1/2, team-up 6-8, and maybe even the annuals although they may be published in a tpb). maybe just put those few issues in the main list, and keep ongoing stuff such as Ultimate Spider-Man # 79 -> remaining at the bottom of the post. just a suggestion. i know i could looks at db's timeline to figure out where the 1/2 issues go and such go, but it would be nice to have it all right here. i plan on using this list as my reading list. something like this for the main tpb list...

Ultimate X-Men # 1 - The Tomorrow People (# 1-6)
Ultimate Spider-Man # ½
Ultimate X-Men # ½
Ultimate Spider-Man # 3 - Double Trouble (# 14-21)

i think thats where the 1/2 issues go.

again great job, and thanks for taking the time to put this together for us.

Good job - but there's a mistake. The Tomorrow People has to come before Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #2 as in that TPB, #11 features the X-Men and Wolverine is with them. Wolverine was not part of the team prior to the Tomorrow People.

Bass said:
Good job - but there's a mistake. The Tomorrow People has to come before Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #2 as in that TPB, #11 features the X-Men and Wolverine is with them. Wolverine was not part of the team prior to the Tomorrow People.

Yes volume 2 should come after Volume 1 of UXM but before 2 cause Beast is still Human looking.

joshwill80 said:
the only thing i see that needs added to your not yet released list is ultimate iron man 1-3, and ultimate secret 1-2.
Of course, I forgot about the minis. Added them. Thanks.

joshwill80 said:
would it be possible to put the "not yet released in tpb form yet" items into the main tpb list where they belong chronologically, and maybe just color code them red or something? maybe have a not explaining that the color coded items are not yet released in tpb form. that or something similar? it would make the list easier to read when it comes to the few issues that might never be published in a tpb (spidey 1/2, x-men 1/2, team-up 6-8, and maybe even the annuals although they may be published in a tpb).
I added the UMTU 6-8 to the list, but I'm pretty sure that everything else will be on TPB's. Most of the annuals have been announced to be on TPB, as well as UXM ½. Dunno about USM ½ but I'd imagine they'll collect that one as well, maybe in TPB vol. 14 as Pandrio pointed out.

Bass said:
Corrected that, cheers.

Of course this list can't be "the absolute truth" when it comes to chronology because there are overlapping and intertwining arcs, but the idea is to list them in an order that makes the most sense. But the thing Bass pointed out was clearly just a mistake on my part and I corrected that.

Bass said:

thee great one said:
Yes volume 2 should come after Volume 1 of UXM but before 2 cause Beast is still Human looking.

vintsukka said:
Corrected that, cheers.

Of course this list can't be "the absolute truth" when it comes to chronology because there are overlapping and intertwining arcs, but the idea is to list them in an order that makes the most sense. But the thing Bass pointed out was clearly just a mistake on my part and I corrected that.

This is the main reason I never did a TPB timeline itself, as it wouldn't truly all happen in their respective orders due to these overlapping arcs. But your timeline definitly does the job it set out to, which is to have them make the most sense overall. And considering most people probably read the TPB versions, this timeline will probably become more viewed than the regular one. Still is a great job, and look forward to the updates.

Latest posts

Back