Ultimate Wolverine Vs Hulk #1 (Discussion/Spoilers)

Beautiful.

This is the best non-Ultimates Ultimate title I've read in a loooooong time. I'm not a big fan of this style of art, but it fits well enough so that it's not distracting.

The plot is awesome. Earthquakes are going on with no activity in the fault lines. Buildings getting bombed with no bomb materials being found. Herds of cattle killed and it's blamed on wolves, even though there are no wolves around. And then they find Hulk poop. With a finger in it. Awesome.

I just wonder why Wolverine smelled the serum instead of the poop in order to find Banner?

The ending was weird, with Hulk surrounded by babes, but I liked it in relation to the "where's all the women?" quip earlier.

This is awesome. I hope Orson Scott Card reads this before he starts work on Ultimate Iron Man 2 and sees how it's supposed to be done.

5/5

UltimateE said:
Beautiful.

This is the best non-Ultimates Ultimate title I've read in a loooooong time. I'm not a big fan of this style of art, but it fits well enough so that it's not distracting.

The plot is awesome. Earthquakes are going on with no activity in the fault lines. Buildings getting bombed with no bomb materials being found. Herds of cattle killed and it's blamed on wolves, even though there are no wolves around. And then they find Hulk poop. With a finger in it. Awesome.

I just wonder why Wolverine smelled the serum instead of the poop in order to find Banner?

The ending was weird, with Hulk surrounded by babes, but I liked it in relation to the "where's all the women?" quip earlier.

This is awesome. I hope Orson Scott Card reads this before he starts work on Ultimate Iron Man 2 and sees how it's supposed to be done.

5/5

Second favorite Utimate issue ever, second only to Ultimates 2 #9. There wasn't one thing I disliked about the entire issue. Lindelof nailed Fury, Logan, and Betty's characters. Was awsome to see Jen Walters, and it'd be great to see She-Hulk eventually. And seeing Hulk calm and content with his little "harem" I felt not only nailed Ultimate Hulk's character, but it showed significant progress in Banner's attempt to control the beast within. Possibly a set up for a more "in-control" Hulk for either the end of Ultimates 2 or the beginning of Ultimates 3? Time will tell.

And the beginning was priceless. "#%$@er threw me legs four miles away", *Sniff* "$%#^*er threw my legs four miles up".

And Yu's art certainly delivered. It was gorgeous, much better then I remember from Superman: Birthright.

We're now 1/1 on good/bad stories by writers outside of comics. Hopefully our next non-comic writer (Bryan Singer?) can follow Lindelof's example, and not Card's.

It was better than good guys but let's not jump the gun and give Lindelof all the credit until the mini comes out.

Another question I have is why is Banner letting Hulk run free? We see him dealing in the market as Bruce. But then he apparently Hulks out and indulges for the fun of it? I didn't think that was very Bruce Banner like.

The way Betty and Jen (If she's still Banner's cousin) talked about killing Bruce kind've bothered me. Even though Betty showed signs that she still had feelings, she ultimately said he had to die. She didn't think this way before the execution. I don't think it's Lindelof screwing characters up. I think something's going on here.

Wolverine's too willing in it though. That kind've bothers me. Unfortunately this is how he should've been the entire time unlike when Vaughan started turning him into a wimp.

I hope Jen Walter's isn't the only Hulk Ultimization we get.

hulk2.jpg

TheManWithoutFear said:
Another question I have is why is Banner letting Hulk run free? We see him dealing in the market as Bruce. But then he apparently Hulks out and indulges for the fun of it? I didn't think that was very Bruce Banner like.

I think it's just Banner's next step to controlling the jolly, green giant. Banner wants to control the Hulk, he's pushing his limit.

Just finished reading it---this has to be one of the best Ultimate books I've read. Great opener....great ending.

We all know that both will walk away alive...but what I'm more intrigued by is the fact that Wolverine's supposedly "unbreakable" skeleton has been broken...where do you go from that? How do you explain that?

This was just great all around. A perfect substitute for the Ultimate Versus I was hoping for instead......Hulk Vs Thing.

Victor Von Doom said:
We all know that both will walk away alive...but what I'm more intrigued by is the fact that Wolverine's supposedly "unbreakable" skeleton has been broken...where do you go from that? How do you explain that?

There's two possible explanations:

1) Hulk ripped Wolverine apart at a joint, which wouldn't be covered in Adamantium or Wolverine wouln't be able to move.

or

2) Hulk is simply that strong. After all, he broke the Adamantium needle used in Ultimates 1 by Captain America.

Lynx said:
1) Hulk ripped Wolverine apart at a joint, which wouldn't be covered in Adamantium or Wolverine wouln't be able to move.

That's my guess. I am waiting to see how Dr. Walter's comments about his joints deals with this. I'm guessing that's where she tells him that it's his weakness or something like that.

Victor Von Doom said:

I like the way that was handled too. Wolverine looking down and saying "Unbreakable? Huh, well... there goes that."

Seems adamantium isn't as powerful as its 616 counterpart; which I'm all for. It should be the strongest metal on Earth, but not unbreakable.

UltimateE said:
That's my guess. I am waiting to see how Dr. Walter's comments about his joints deals with this. I'm guessing that's where she tells him that it's his weakness or something like that.

It more then likely is that explanation, althouh I'm not opposed to the second explanation either. After all, it's already happened.

Yeah....that makes sense. Now that I just re-read it...the answer is staring you dead in the face.

But then I just thought of something---Wolevrine said his legs ain't gonna grow themselves back....but I thought that's what he does? He loses a finger...he grows it back. You get hit by a truck and your body is ripped to shreds....it grows back like an autopsy in reverse.

Lately Wolverine seems to be the new Scarlet Witch...he does whatever the writer needs him to be able to do.

Bah---I don't know why I'm so negative lately....

I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

Lindelof is using the same formula he did for Lost - either out of laziness or because he felt it was appropriate or because it was expected or asked of him I don't know - but Wolverine wakes up after "insert trauma" and then we flashback to how he got there.

The thing is - Lindelof, first time writing the Ultimate universe - and he seems to have got each character consistent in their portrayal. Wolverine is Wolverine, Fury is Fury, Betty is Betty. Very impressed.

There were a number of things in the issue that actually kept it entertaining despite the fact that even though the issue opens with incredible violence, the rest of it is Logan talking to people and being given exposition. But Lindelof manages to handle that exposition quite deftly - as has been pointed out, the ingenuity of random disasters are actually the Hulk. That was one of those, "Why do I not see people talk about Hulk like this all the time?" It was a marvelous way to depict the Hulk's power and create a real gravitas to his threat level.

Yu of course, is superb. There's little more to be said about him. A truly amazing illustrator - though I'm curious as to the relationship between him an Travis Charest.

I was very pleased with this issue, which is surprising since I just stopped watching Lost as I realised that it was boring as hell. In fact, my distaste for Lost makes me worried if this series, at 6-issues is going to be too long. I can already imagine that each issue will be a boring, boring flashback fest. For example, I'm convinced #2 (perhaps #3) will be a flashback like this issue, but from Banner/Hulk's pov. We'll see why and how he ended up in Tibet. We'll see him create those disasters and so on. In fact, I can imagine #2 starting with Banner in the snowy mountains of Tibet, muttering to himself, throwing up, feeling so sick but he can't think why he feels so ill - then he remembers and we see him ripping Wolverine in half again and then Banner thinks to himself, and we go back in time and it ends in the same place as #1 did.

I had hope because the first issue very quickly moves through time to arrive pretty much where the story started chronologically, but then Lost episodes started with the character flashbacks being how they ended on the plane, then later on, we get flashbacks from all over the shop in their backstories and I can't help but feel that in #4 we're going to have a flashback about Wolverine's wedding or Banner's first date with Betty or something.

I dunno, I have this terrible fear of just being mind-numbling bored by this series halfway through, as I was with Lost.

That said, there does seem to be somethings already in the works for subsequent issues - Fury would seem to think that Wolverine is more powerful than a nuke? Perhaps Fury is trying to get Wolverine killed. Also, Jen seems to be the other super soldier brainiac and has access to two doses of the Hulk serum, and she seems interested in Wolverine's joints. Now, its possible she's hitting on him, it's possible she wants to replicate the admantium process, or it's possible she's looking for weaknesses because she's a kook and wants to be the next Hulk. Maybe. Maybe Abomination makes his debut - it's just the two doses of the Hulk serum... worry me.

But in any case, while I'm still trepidatious of the series, I very much enjoyed the first issue.

there are only two things i want to know:

1. how does wolverine get his legs back and how do they re-attach them.

2. why doesn't the hulk just stay one color? i mean, i liked the grey look. it made him feel.... not 616ish.

elfreo said:

Glue.

elfreo said:
2. why doesn't the hulk just stay one color? i mean, i liked the grey look. it made him feel.... not 616ish.

He was green in Ultimate Marvel Team Up, then grey, and we saw in Ultimates 2 the Hulk became green again, I assume, because it's more recognizable.

UltimateE said:
Beautiful.

5/5

I knew you'd like it.

Victor Von Doom said:
Just finished reading it---this has to be one of the best Ultimate books I've read. Great opener....great ending.

His bones are encased in adamantium, not his joints (including his spinal joints), meaning they're just as likely to be pulled apart as a normal humans. Otherwise, if Wolverine's joints were covered in adamantium, how would he move? Answer: he wouldn't.

Lynx said:
There's two possible explanations:

or

2) Hulk is simply that strong. After all, he broke the Adamantium needle used in Ultimates 1 by Captain America.

This is another possibility, and I honestly believe Hulk could be capable of just such a thing.

elfreo said:

Well, this issue already showed him climbing up the mountain side with his claws to retrieve his legs. And all he has to do it position his upper body atop the legs and voila, in a bit he'll have reattached himself and be good as new.

Its paint by numbers...sometimes they get the numbers wrong.

What happened to my picture...?

Ultimate Adamantium doesn't seem to be as strong as the 616 version. There was the needle that Hulk broke and also during Return to Weapon X's flashback to Desert Storm an Adamantium cage was broken by a tank shell.

I'd assume Hulk's color changes simply because when he changes it's something random...mood I guess, on how angry or sad or whatever when he changes.

Hulk, the living mood ring!

I'm getting this next week. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I checked here just to see what people's general opinion is and I'm very happy with the positive reviews (especially Bass's. He's one tough ***** to please.)

I've explained Hulk's colour change before, but I'll do it again...

He started off green, as he was gamma-radiated. He then took the super-soldier serum, which made him grey. He stayed grey for a while, until it must have worn off, but leaving the Hulk DNA bonded with Banner's. Now, he's back to being green, as there is no serum in him.

Latest posts

Back