Ultimate Wolverine Vs Hulk #1 (Discussion/Spoilers)

elfreo said:
1. how does wolverine get his legs back and how do they re-attach them

We don't know exactly yet, but I would bet that like Irish said he just kind of positions them correctly and lets all the nerves, arteries, muscles, etc. reattach.

UltimateE said:
We don't know exactly yet, but I would bet that like Irish said he just kind of positions them correctly and lets all the nerves, arteries, muscles, etc. reattach.
It's the way to do it. In 616, he had to 'rip' his hand (with the wrist) off when chained to a wall, than took his arm, positioned it, wrapped it reaaaaaaally tight with a towel (or something else), and by the end of the issue, it was as if the hand never came off.

i really dug this issue as i read it in the san diego airport. comics are a great cure for waiting in the airport. does anyone else think that hulk needs to do some crunches or get an ab roller? i think he's eaten too many people and cows...he's got quite the gut on him.

selfproclaimed said:
i really dug this issue as i read it in the san diego airport. comics are a great cure for waiting in the airport. does anyone else think that hulk needs to do some crunches or get an ab roller? i think he's eaten too many people and cows...he's got quite the gut on him.

I noticed that also...I assume its just the way Yu draws him. Or maybe it is all the cows and concubines.

Really like the issue 9/10. Like the characterizations up until the Hulk surrounded by babes part which made no sense to me. Solid beginning, solid ending, solid issue. Very good way to start off a mini. Art was good too.

The comment about joints I believe was just a use of foreshadowing and to explain to the reader how Logan was ripped in two because up until that point there had been no explaination (at least to my knowledge) of the extent of Logan's skeleton.

I like the fact that they introduced Jen to the UU, and she was probably flirting with Logan, however, it was most likely to get information out of him. I expect her to be the opposite of Bruce socially. She is probablly just as we saw her, fast, loose, and high-flying among many social circles.

I do not think this is one big conspiracy to knock off Logan because in the end I think he is too valuable to Fury for the exact reason he is using him here, as an assasin. At anytime Fury has one of the best assasins in the world equipped to take out super-human or human. I did not mind Logan excepting this mission off the bat because I honestly always see this being part of the Wolverine character. No matter how much an author wants him to be a normal person, another can and will always be able to use "assasin Wolverine" to great effect.

I agree with Bass, issue #2 will most likely be more flashbacks but from the Hulk this time. However the story will continue despite this, and we'll see Logan get his act together and plan his assault for issue #3.

taking this job doesn't seem like too out of character for wolverine...he's the best at what he does...and this would certainly test that...it seems to me like he's taking it for the challenge...as well as the fact that the hulk is responsible for hundreds of deaths

it's interesting that the hulk has all those fine lovely ladies around him and that he's living the big life because way back in volume 1, banner mentioned to betty over the phone that he missed being big, that's why he took the hulk serum again...so i'm curious to see what this does to banner, now that he is big, and seems to be in some control of the hulk

selfproclaimed said:
i'm curious to see what this does to banner, now that he is big, and seems to be in some control of the hulk

This last panel is more an argument in favor of the fact that the Hulk is in control of Banner.

Last edited:
Great issue, blew me away. I was a little worried about the Yu art; I wasn't too impressed with Superman: Birthright, but Yu's art fit this perfectly. Probably the best start to an Ultimate mini that I can recall, let's hope the story and art continue this good through all six issues.

To Card: please read this and take some notes before starting UIM 2!

WOWZA!

At first I wanted to get this mini. Then I wasn't really interested and slapped a maybe on it. Now? NOW! Now it's on my to-buy list! I'm gonna hunt it down and kill the man who holds a copy if I have to!

Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine is NOT just a fight comic!

I love LOST! I love Leinel Yu's art! Why the hell didn't I preorder this!?

God, Jen Walters is sexy. That's a stark contrast to 616 Jen, where Jen is lame and She-Hulk is sexy. Might this alter the Ultimate version of She-Hulk?

And then when she put the card back in her cleavage and we just see the tip of her lingerie... =D!

Doc Comic said:
God, Jen Walters is sexy. That's a stark contrast to 616 Jen, where Jen is lame and She-Hulk is sexy. Might this alter the Ultimate version of She-Hulk?

And then when she put the card back in her cleavage and we just see the tip of her lingerie... =D!
*Wipes foreign liquid off face.*:?

E.Vi.L. said:
This last panel is more an argument in favor of the fact that the Hulk is in control of Banner.

i'm going ot beg to differ only in that hulk isn't eating people or threatening to poop in their skulls...i'm not saying that banner has any level of mastery of the hulk, just that he seems to have gained just a bit of control

Doc Comic said:

I knew you were into chicks like Nicole Bass.

selfproclaimed said:
i'm going ot beg to differ only in that hulk isn't eating people or threatening to poop in their skulls...i'm not saying that banner has any level of mastery of the hulk, just that he seems to have gained just a bit of control

I have to agree.

DIrishB said:
I knew you were into chicks like Nicole Bass.
tvguide128.jpg

Thanks for killing the thread, Doc Comic. :p

I was listening to the first Marvel podcast, where there is an interview with Lindeloff. It's basically the same stuff we've heard before, except I caught a few hints.

-The 2nd issue will be about where Hulk has gone, from when he was "executed," and to when he is appearing in this series.
-The 3rd/4th issue will feature small cameos of mutants, and I can't remember if these were new ultimizations or ultimized mutants.

Did Lindeloff say if the nuke had any effect on Hulk? I still think that explains the Banner/Hulk personality merge and increase in size and strength, not to mention color.

Doc Comic said:
Did Lindeloff say if the nuke had any effect on Hulk? I still think that explains the Banner/Hulk personality merge and increase in size and strength, not to mention color.

Probably did,it's funny how stupid *** Fury pretty much made things worse.I'm glad the bastard got his arm ripped off.

Picked this up today. LOVED IT. A strong story, the art even better, and on top of that... Wolverine vs. HULK! Too good to be true, really. Guess why this has been put on a bi-monthly schedule... :roll:

There was a lot of good in this issue. In recent issues of Ultimate X-Men, I loved the interaction between Wolverine and Fury the most. Both are forces to be reckoned with... Only, against each other. That kind of dynamic is very cool to have. Lindelof translated that in his writing perfectly. As boring as some may find it, I really liked the dialogue between Fury and Wolverine.

The introduction of She-Hulk is interesting enough, but you have to wonder why. Pym could've fit that role perfectly. Hell, Janet could've, too. Afterall, her medical practice hasn't really been touched on since Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Six. I think Jen's up to something and we're bound to see She-Hulk by the end of this, I'm sure of it.

This was amazing. He wrote each character perfectly. I like how Betty was brought into this. The debut of Jen was good. I loved the opening pages. My thought on the woman thing. Correct me of I'm wrong but wasn't it metioned in Ultimates 2 that last time Banner turned into the Hulk, all he did was sit there and watch TV. So him relaxing there makes sense. He do know that the Hulk is incredibly horny. And MWoF made a comment about it being out of character to allow himself to become the Hulk. In the first arc of the Ultimates, he turned into the Hulk on purpose.

Latest posts

Back