Ultimate X-Men #62 discussion and spoilers

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 16 66.7%

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Actually, Doug and Havok look more similar than Havok and Cannonball.

I think.

I forget which is which. :p

Lynx said:
Overall, damn fine issue. For some reason, this has been my least favorite of the Ultimate line after Ultimates, Crossover in UFF and now Warriors in USM (I just wasn't very impressed with the Shock and Awe arc), but I REALLY like where this is going now. The only problem I have is the MASSIVE amount of characters we have now. I mean, we have the X-men, the Hellions, the Brotherhood AND the Ultimates all in one book!? Vaughan is the man to do it, but still. . .To be honest, I'd love to see an Ultimate Hellions comic, but who knows in what state the team will be in at the end of this arc. Art isn't bad, but I'm not an Immonen fan. It'll be nice once McNiven is on board. Nice to finally have Mystique there too! Overall, 4/5.

PS Anyone catch the part where Iceman calls Havok Scott's "kid brother"? In this universe, isn't Alex OLDER then Scott? :?

As to Havok being older than Scott, I thought I remembered that too, but I can't be sure.

DIrishB said:
As to Havok being older than Scott, I thought I remembered that too, but I can't be sure.

Yeah, I checked it last night. It's in the New Mutants arc, it says that Alex Summers is the older brother of the X-men's Scott Summers.

Vaughan's got some 'splanin to do! :lol:

Just reread the issue.

Noticed something Wanda said "a good man is hard to find..." Nice nod to Flannery O'Connor. I want Vaughan to stay on this title longer.

Irish_4204 said:
Just reread the issue.

Noticed something Wanda said "a good man is hard to find..." Nice nod to Flannery O'Connor. I want Vaughan to stay on this title longer.

I'll be happy with a return engagement once Singer is done.

notTHATtodd said:
I'll be happy with a return engagement once Singer is done.

Id be happy if Vaughn became the longterm writer of UXM... but that's probably not happening.

He wants to work with his own characters for a while...

Dr.Strangefate said:
Id be happy if Vaughn became the longterm writer of UXM... but that's probably not happening.

He wants to work with his own characters for a while...

I think I'd be happy if ANYONE became that long-term writer for the X-men. There really hasn't been one, has there?

Irish_4204 said:
Just reread the issue.

Figures a fellow Mick would pick up on that. Nice catch Irish!

Spade said:
Spade UXM got crappy after Millar left then it got good again

I agree, though I MUCH prefer Vaughn's run over Millar's. He just seems to understand the characters personalities and motivations better than any other writer the titles has had (which admittedly is only a few) and has been able to craft extremely interesting and enriching stories around those characters. The best thing is he manages to introduce many Ultimate versions of 616 characters in a believable and fun way (Northstar, Sunspot, Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse?, Fenris Twins, Longshot, Spiral, Mojo, Arcade, Lady Deathstrike, Cannonball, Doug Ramsey, etc).

Vaughan has turned this title around, I must say. I get subscriptions and, while I look forward to all of my comics showing up, when Bendis was on the title I really wasn't enjoying UXM as much. The first issue with Vaughan's name on it, I devoured and loved where the characters were going. I would love for him to stay on, just to see where he takes these characters. That, like DiB said, is his strong point.

Goodwill said:
Vaughan has turned this title around, I must say. I get subscriptions and, while I look forward to all of my comics showing up, when Bendis was on the title I really wasn't enjoying UXM as much. The first issue with Vaughan's name on it, I devoured and loved where the characters were going. I would love for him to stay on, just to see where he takes these characters. That, like DiB said, is his strong point.

Definitly, which is one of the reasons I've been wondering so much about this title with the news Singer's run has been pushed back to Summer, 2006, instead of starting in December like originally planned. Does this mean Vaughn might stay on working solo longer than expected (since he'll be co-writing with Singer once his run starts)? Or will a fill-in artist take over for several months and then have Vaughn come back on for Singer's beginning. Personally the former makes more sense to me, and I really hope this is the case. I figure this equates to about 6 months, so thats enough for another entire arc, or two smaller arcs.

i skimmed through this issue, i guess i should have bought it the way you guys are going on about it....maybe next week ill go back and relook at it. My question is not related to this issue, but rather, which issue is the mystery hero supposed to show up in? the next one? or the one after? cause we all pretty much know its gonna be spidey.

The Captain said:
i skimmed through this issue, i guess i should have bought it the way you guys are going on about it....maybe next week ill go back and relook at it. My question is not related to this issue, but rather, which issue is the mystery hero supposed to show up in? the next one? or the one after? cause we all pretty much know its gonna be spidey.

I think its gonna be UXM #64, but I could be wrong. And I assume its Spidey, but you never know. I was wrong about Pete's girlfriend being Black Cat when instead it was Shadowcat (I was halfway there), so what do I know?

DIrishB said:
I think its gonna be UXM #64, but I could be wrong. And I assume its Spidey, but you never know. I was wrong about Pete's girlfriend being Black Cat when instead it was Shadowcat (I was halfway there), so what do I know?

everyone believed it was black cat at some point. No one really felt kitty would work and especially since she was with iceman, but those were really the only legit options. I just felt black cat was being showcased too much for her to be the gf, the break up with iceman was all too sudden for kitty NOT to be the gf.

As for uxm 64, im interested in the issue not only to see if iceman will react to the situation (cause we already know bendis wants an ultimate spider-man and his amazing friends, which will star iceman, spidey, and at this point, kitty, unless ult firestar shows up soon) Spidey confronting mags would be cool, but that would be a longshot.

DIrishB said:
It's #63, the next issue. If it's Spider-Man, how would he make the situation from bad to worse? Not that he can't, but I think it's someone else.

Bass said:
One problem I had - I wish Immonen had redone the designs for a lot of these characters. Doug Ramsey, Cannonball, and Havok ALL are blue-eyed caucasian blondes. Immonen does try to give them different features, hair styles and body languages, and does it well, but I wish someone had said to someone, "Hey, there sure are a lot of Aryan mutants in this comic." "Hey, why don't we make one of them fat? Or bald? Or have glasses? Or black? Or female?" Slight, gripe.
You're right, we need more positive 'ethnic' characters in comics.

Well I enjoyed that issue a lot.
I wonder how Longshot got his orders? i mean, someone is running the show, and under Magneto's control too. And on that, I do love reading Magneto, his playful rational is something so defining to the character.

Oh, mystique, I thought that was a bit overdone, a whole page finale for her? Nah.

Bass said:
One problem I had - I wish Immonen had redone the designs for a lot of these characters. Doug Ramsey, Cannonball, and Havok ALL are blue-eyed caucasian blondes. Immonen does try to give them different features, hair styles and body languages, and does it well, but I wish someone had said to someone, "Hey, there sure are a lot of Aryan mutants in this comic." "Hey, why don't we make one of them fat? Or bald? Or have glasses? Or black? Or female?" Slight, gripe.
Wouldn't you have that problem with the COLORIST and not the penciler? :sure:

Guijllons said:
Oh, mystique, I thought that was a bit overdone, a whole page finale for her? Nah.
What?! That one page is just fine with that ending. It wasnt overdone. That type of ending derserves its own page.

Latest posts

Back