Ultimate X-Men #62 discussion and spoilers

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 16 66.7%

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Guess it depends on how much of a fan you are already of mystique. I would certainly have preferred an ending that was more thought provoking than one that was designed to have me wetting my pants about a shapeshifter.

Just noticing this, but Vaughan seems to end his issues with one-pagers. Not that its a bad thing, just mentioning it. :)

icemastertron said:
Wouldn't you have that problem with the COLORIST and not the penciler? :sure:

Nope. Black people have more to their appearance than just skin colour. Even without colouring, a good penciller (like Immonen) can draw a black, white, or whatever person and have them look like that skin colour. The colorist is given the colour schemes of the characters. Immonen drew caucasians. Someone, somewhere, should've realised that they had multiple characters who all looked the same.

Bass said:
Nope. Black people have more to their appearance than just skin colour. Even without colouring, a good penciller (like Immonen) can draw a black, white, or whatever person and have them look like that skin colour. The colorist is given the colour schemes of the characters. Immonen drew caucasians. Someone, somewhere, should've realised that they had multiple characters who all looked the same.
So it's Immonen's fault that the characteres were COLORED blondes and same eye COLORS? Sorry, but I dont think so. :roll:

There are definite feature differences, it's not the colourists job to decide on someone's race.

There need to be more ginger people in comics. I don't even think that MJ and jean are real gingers.

****ing tourists.

icemastertron said:
So it's Immonen's fault that the characteres were COLORED blondes and same eye COLORS? Sorry, but I dont think so. :roll:

Oh, yeah, they could've done that. :oops:

Bass is absolutely right - different ethnicities have different features, much moreso than just skin color.

But I wouldn't say it was lack of imagination by Immonen...usually something as major as that would be the responsibility of the writer to determine, at least I would think, because it can affect storytelling a LOT.

And changing someone's race just to fulfill a quota is hardly a good call, Longshot is blonde and blue, so is cannonball, so is havok, and so is emma, they always have been.

This may even be a point vaughan is making.

UltimateE said:
Bass is absolutely right - different ethnicities have different features, much moreso than just skin color.

But I wouldn't say it was lack of imagination by Immonen...usually something as major as that would be the responsibility of the writer to determine, at least I would think, because it can affect storytelling a LOT.

of course bass is right, im pretty sure they colorist wouldnt color someone that looks like luke cage with blonde hair even if they never seen the guy before...certain things do stand out....

whats up with all the people avatars? im tempted to put mine up there now.

The Captain said:
of course bass is right, im pretty sure they colorist wouldnt color someone that looks like luke cage with blonde hair even if they never seen the guy before...certain things do stand out....
not to mention the inking would be different for darker skin, you can get away with a lot stronger shadows for one.

whats up with all the people avatars? im tempted to put mine up there now.
Blame Ourchair, he wanted to impress us with his youthfulness.

I don't mean changing character's appearances to fill a quota but simply because they all look too similar. Basically, out of the group who are freeing Polaris, only Sunspot stands out. The other three blend together. What they should've done is either select a more ethnically diverse group of heroes - say, Havok, Sunspot, Thunderbird, Rictor, Synch... there's tons of non-aryan mutants out there. Either pick them (best option) or if these particular characters are necessary, make it so that their appearances are different enough so that they aren't confusing. Honestly, I was finding it a little hard.

Bass said:
I don't mean changing character's appearances to fill a quota but simply because they all look too similar. Basically, out of the group who are freeing Polaris, only Sunspot stands out. The other three blend together. What they should've done is either select a more ethnically diverse group of heroes - say, Havok, Sunspot, Thunderbird, Rictor, Synch... there's tons of non-aryan mutants out there. Either pick them (best option) or if these particular characters are necessary, make it so that their appearances are different enough so that they aren't confusing. Honestly, I was finding it a little hard.
Nah, all white folks don't look the same you know :) Different hairstyles, different features, i don't need signboards telling me who's who.

Guijllons said:
Oh, mystique, I thought that was a bit overdone, a whole page finale for her? Nah.

Gotta disagree with this for a couple reasons. First, Mystique is a relatively well-known 616 character FINALLY making her appearance in the Ultimate universe. Second, the debut of her character has been building up for a while, least in my opinion. Its possible you could argue Millar never intended to introduce her to the title and meant to have Xavier's cat's name just be a nod to 616. But for years people have been debating the relevance of that damn cat. Plus, Vaughn is tying the cat's name in with the character in a believable way with Mystique apparently dating Xavier in the past (Xavier's turning out to be a slut, he's like the Ultimate universe's version of 616 Emma). I don't know, I think it was called for. The "All part of his mystique" line might have been a little overdone, but no big deal

Bass said:

There it is. Excellent explanation, Bass. I totally agree that characters look too similar to their counterparts. Branch out a little!

notTHATtodd said:
I liked the Longshot appearance as well, which makes for an interesting future appearance...probably in the next issue or two. All in all, though, I'm standing by my statement that I am sick and tired of seeing Magneto in the X-Men. They had so many great villians over the years, why is it necessary to continually bring this guy back into the story lines. Show so originality! Stray from the proven formula! Do something else, damn it!

Ack! You heathan! Magneto is the coolest and most well written character I have ever seen. Magneto makes wonderous and well-told tales. He's a good guy and a bad guy at the same time. You don't any deeper than that! I wish there was more Magneto with the X-men. 'Mags' (as Storm calls him) could whoop any villain from X-men. Yeah that's right! Even Apocalypse! Magnetism is one of the four forces of reality! :x

Hawkeye101 said:
Ack! You heathan! Magneto is the coolest and most well written character I have ever seen. Magneto makes wonderous and well-told tales. He's a good guy and a bad guy at the same time. You don't any deeper than that! I wish there was more Magneto with the X-men. 'Mags' (as Storm calls him) could whoop any villain from X-men. Yeah that's right! Even Apocalypse! Magnetism is one of the four forces of reality! :x

Yeah, plus he was only a major villain in the first arc, then again in #26-33, and finally again in #61-65. That averages out to about every thirty issues or so (actually just under, but still--I guess you could also count Ultimate War, but its a mini so it gets certain allowances). I wouldn't say thats overusing him, as he IS the X-Men's greatest nemsis. Now, if this trend continues for a couple more years, THEN we can start looking at him being overused. But for right now I wouldn't say he is at all.

Granted this may change with Singer's coming onto the title, as I have a feeling the majority of his arc will focus on Magneto as the villain (which is probably one of the main reasons Vaughan is using him in this arc, to set up his escape from the Triskelion). Plus, I'm liking Magneto more than ever being written by Vaughn, and we've only seen two issues worth and no action involving him. Millar kind of wrote him as an over-the-top ***** at certain points...I don't see that happening at all in Vaughan's arc (nor in Singer's upcoming arc if the X-Men movies are anything to be judged by).

Hawkeye101 said:
He's a good guy and a bad guy at the same time

Not Ultimate Magneto, I don't think.

Latest posts

Back