Ultimate X-Men #66 Discussion (Spoilers)

Kirkman and Raney arrive with a bang. Well, more like a pop.

From the solicitations, we knew this was going to be a more 'quiet' issue, and it is, but it's nevertheless good stuff.

Thoughts: Raney draws a wonderful Sabretooth, and the rest of his pencils seem better than his previous work, though that could be due to the colours. Kirkmans hopping plot is well pulled off, handling all the characters as deftly as Vaughan did. In fact, this issue seems a rather natural continuation of Vaughans run. The only thing which lets this issue down is the slightly jarring dialogue, particularly with Nightcrawler (awful accent), however, knowing Kirkman, he can only improve on this, and I think it's just a case of settling down and getting to know the characters a bit more.

The direction he took with Lilandra is perfect, couldn't have asked for it better, and it finally looks like Chuckys going to get some action. The mysterious young gentleman has piqued my interest, and I'll certainly be looking out for him next issue. I can't even tell if he's shaping up to be a hero or villain yet, which is another credit to Kirkman. Jean going nuts was great, looks like the Phoenix stuff is really starting to pick up. Kurts discomfort with Peter has a lot of potential, considering their previous friendship.

All in all, a very impressive issue, let down slightly by the dialogue and some iffy scenes on Raneys behalf. An easy 9/10 though, cementing this title as possibly the best Ultimate title, next to Mr Millars offering.

I'm just gonna piggyback on what MWOF said....

Great job with the writing.......seriously. I could do without the art though. But that's only because I'm a little biased. I LOVED Immonen's art style. Every scene just seemed to pop out at ya like it was 3-D. I also enojyed Kubert's drawing as well. It gave it a more detailed/realistic and somewhat gritty feel. All I can say to Marvel is change artists.......now!!!

Xavier/Lilandra - I dig the ultimazation of Lilandra and the gang. Making them mysterious religious cultists believing in celestial beings instead of being them was a great twist. I can't wait 'til they introduce their newest disciple....Tom Cruise. :D

Scott/Jean -Meh.....I'm bored with this couple.

Kitty/Spider-Man -MWOF brings up a good point. Its as if Kitty is crushing on Spidey more than Peter. It's like a fanboy dating Teri Hatcher....you love her because she's Lois Lane....not the real person. I wonder if Bendis will piggyback on this in his story and have that be that catalyst that breaks them up, having Peter realize that he loves MJ and that MJ loves Peter for being Peter....not Peter for being Spiderman.

Wolverine/Storm -Boo-ya!!!! Sabertooth is back in the building. Now lets not punk him. As far as Wolverine and Storm together......who really cares?

Kurt/Colossus -They handled Kurt's anxiety about being around Colossus perfectly. It's very human. I myself am not gay...but have a couple gay friends. When another one of my friends meet one of my gay friends....that's exactly how they react. I applaud them for handling this so on point. The "in the closet" joke was hilarious.

Bobby/Rogue -It was kinda cool to see them together again. And to comment on someone's response on how it felt forced......I disagree to an extent. Yes their hooking up so soon after she gets back does seem a little forced but their interaction together doesn't. This is a girl who hasn't had any physical contact for so long that now she overdoes it a bit. It's the same principle with someone being able to see for the first time or hear for the first time. They wanna experience everything. A friend of mine's Aunt was blind since the age of 3. She underwent surgery and now she can see. The first month of her being able to see was overwhelming to her. She had to see every movie ever made.....drive around for hours on end.....etc. Anyways, I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Mystery guy - His story was kinda annoying since they didn't reveal much about him.

5/5

Fuzzy Birds said:
and it finally looks like Chuckys going to get some action.

Finally? He gets more action than almost anyone in the UU. :)

do they explain how sabretooth survived having his head ripped off....? Coz thats what it looked like happened with Logans "lets see you regrow this" moment...

Well he does have that mutant healing factor.....so it's not impossible. I mean Wolverine had worse done to him and he ready to go fight like a day later.

My guess is that somebody helped Sabes come back. He can't exactly reattach his own head, so I think someone else did it and waited for his healing factor to kick in.

What about if since his 'death', Sabes has assembled a new Brotherhood, full of a bunch of inept bumbling fools, as one would expect him to recruit.

While it isn't explained Sabretooth does have a giant red scar on his neck.

This was unbelievably boring.

Also, it has some of the worst exposition I've ever read, re - Kitty telling Rogue what everyone is doing just after we find out as they tell everyone their plans for the night. The conversation was boring the first time, we don't need to be told again.

But I won't dwell because, to be fair to Kirkman, that is by far, the worst part of the issue, the rest not particularly good, but definately not that bad.

Anyhow, I remember liking Tom Raney's art. I can't think why. There isn't one good panel in the entire issue.

As for the plots:

Red guy - Nothing is known. His parents are dead but we don't know why that matters. I think more of the issue should have been about him to make the "cliffhanger" actually have impact.

Lilandra and Xavier - I like the idea the Shi'ar as a church. We can tell they worship the Phoenix and they are trying to keep an eye on Jean. The idea is fine, but it is poorly executed. Why does "make it realistic" mean "make it trivial"? Lilandra reveals her name and identity. So what? Unless your an old X-Man fan, you don't get the relevance because the meaning is not apparent within the confines of this issue. I think it would've been great to have Lilandra tell all this to Charles, really impress him, by taking him to her alien ship. The super technology, the bizarre members of her Imperial Guard. Real, "My God!" moment for Charles. Instead she tells him calmly at a resteraunt. She doesn't have to be an alien. She can be more "realistic" but she should still be a ****ing Imperial Queen with a fantastic bearing. When she speaks, countries step into line. Her beauty forces nations to bow. She doesn't have to be an alien - she just has to be majestic. And she wants Charles (it seems). Realistic is one thing. Trivial is another.

Nightcrawler and Colossus - this was well done. I thought it was funny, amusing, and really, these guys are the best thing in Ultimate X-Men and have been for ages.

Wolverine and Storm - I think I've read this "sub-plot" a billion times before.

Rogue and Iceman - It's nice, but dull. Not bad, not good, just eh.

Jean and Scott - Ugh. I dunno about you, but I think Jean's a *****. It's one thing to talk telepathically, but to force people to quit smoking or say things for you - doesn't that strike you as horrifically manipulative? If she was listening into Scott and Xavier's conversation why not SAY what she wanted to say, telepathically, to both of them? Why FORCE Scott to say something for her? It's like she's pissing on him to mark her territory. No wonder he won't do things without her say so. Also, Jean states she's psychic and knows everything Scott knows. So she knows why he doesn't take the first move and she should also understand and accept, not yell and ***** to him. Jesus, she's a telepath! Why does she have to have a heart-to-heart? Personal problems like this wouldn't exist with open telepathy as Scott and Jean do. Scott seems to have no problem with her reading his mind all the time. Now, if Scott was purposefully keeping her OUT of his thoughts and not letting her in, she'd start to wonder why, and then you have conflict. Egh, I'm tired of complaining. I don't even know if I'm making sense.

But the whole issue, save Nightcrawler and Colossus, was just dull.

Jean forcing Wolvie and Scott

Not sure about you Bass, but I intrepreted the whole 'Jean being b*tchy' thing as Phoenix foreshadowing. Think about it, if the inevitable Ultimate Phoenix plotline is going to be anything close to monumental to our fellow mutants, and likewise if it's going to follow 616, then Jean is gonna turn nasty evil-like. I figure Kirkman knows this and is simply setting it up.

I think you guys are getting the full effect that this is a filler story for Singer. Bryan was supposed to come on after Vaughan. They needed people who would tell a subtle story without delving into the major storylines. "Date Night" is a lot of short stories. I really enjoyed it but there must be something wrong with me if the people I usually agree with hate it that much.

I know the Logan/Storm part was the same old song and dance. But the only reason I got pysched for it is Sabertooth, whose the living key to Wolverine's past. It's not like Deathstrike (Worst part of Vaughan's run) where we get more ties to Weapon X for the sake of action and terrible villains. It's about the personal story Wolverine will go through. I can't give Kirkman the praise for it yet but I'm hopeing he uses Sabertooth the right way.

Jean being a *****? I kind've agree. She's somehow compromised her standards lately invading everyone's thoughts freefully. I wonder why...

Rogue and Bobby. How they're drawn. Like they should be. They're kids, young ones. About it being forced, I think it was fine. They were stuck alone, have history, Rogue's unknowingly being influenced by Gambit's former sex drive (not Gambit himself), and Bobby needs a girl by his side at all times. Mix it together and you're gonna get dirty talk from little kids.

Kitty/Spider-Man? Who said there needed to be more of them? That's crazy talk. This is UXM. Be thankful he's in the title at all. And VVD thanks for agreeing. I think the relationship is nothing more than hey, we have something in common (heroes) let's date. Peter's gonna realize you can't just not love someone. But I think the best part will be Kitty's reaction after they breakup. Always *****ing about Spider-Man and how uncool she thinks he is. It'll be funny stuff.

I liked the lilandra thing. Bass, I don't know if you're saying you wanted her to be an alien or what but if that's the case I have to disagree.

Sorry guys, can't help likeing what's been done.

ok with the guy in the mansion, i bet anything its either magician or banshee. it could go either way. here's why.

there is no furniture. what do MAGICIANS do? they make things disappear. but then what about the parents??

what is this character doing? he is calling throughout the house. what is banshee's power based around?? his voice. so what if he is accidentally using his sonic scream and his voice just knocks out his parents?? and what if that large empty room was a ball room? i think its banshee... 8)

Bass said:
Anyhow, I remember liking Tom Raney's art. I can't think why. There isn't one good panel in the entire issue.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but Raney's art is what brought down Ultimate Secret. He's just not good.

UltimateE said:
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but Raney's art is what brought down Ultimate Secret. He's just not good.

Of course.

UltimateE said:
Yeah, the transition form McNiven to him wasn't well. And his work here isn't good. I liked him better in Uncanny when he did his 2-issue stint. This is not good work now.

I told you the interior art sucked. Raney's art is just so... dull.

Latest posts

Back