Ultimate X-Men #66 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Great stuff!!!

I'll give you the play by play by going through the different characters since Kirkman did a great job doing it. So much happened in this issue!

Scott enters a room with Xavier "practicing" defense with his powers. He tells him the students are all planning on heading out for the night to relax since the last few adventures (Magnetic North, X4). So the Mansion gets ready to go out while Xavier also has a "date".

Xavier/Lilandra - Throughout the issue we see Xavier at a restaurant talking to a girl who you would think is Ultimate Selene. The girl says she's part of a religious organization and wants to help Xavier after his funding from Hellfire dropped. She reveals her name is Lilandra.

Scott/Jean -Go to the movies. Jean gets pissed that Scott won't make any moves and has to "motivate" him to do so. Scott keeps asking why she's been acting strange lately. I was pissed because I thought this was leading to their breakup but Scott pulls it off in the end. Jean dresses like a skank too. The title is Phoenix rising so...

Kitty/Spider-Man -
No, he's not a major part of the story. Kitty just needs a ride to see her boyfriend in the city. Bobby hassles her and it's pretty funny. He asks if they're boyfriend, girlfriend or if she's just his sidekick. She calls him Spider-Man, which I find funny because it seems like she's in love with the hero not Peter. They show a collage of everyone at some point and her and Spidey are fighting petty thugs.

Wolverine/Storm -
Go "Male-Bonding". Are they buddies or lovers? I dunno what the hell is going on but right now it seems like they're best friends. They go to a pool hall, where Storm uses gust of wind to cheat on Logan. Some guy tries to hit on Storm and Logan roughs him up. They walk outside and a voice calls out "causeing more trouble I see... that figures". Enter Sabertooth :rockon:

Kurt/Colossus -Kurt wants to go visit Ali and Colossus offers to go too. Kurt uneasily agrees. They teleport to her and Kurt confesses that he liked her and wished she chose the demon, not the angel. A nurse comes in and Nightcrawler teleports the two into a small closet. A very funny scene with Colossus making wiseass remarks and Kurt saying it wasn't his best idea. I really loved the interaction. Kirkman seems to have made Kurt awkward about Colossus sexuality but not prejudice about it. I took Colossus as making fun of Kurt but I'm sure some people (probably the same who though holding hands meant falling in love) will think he was hitting on him.

Bobby/Rogue -It was cool. Bobby and Rogue get left at the mansion together. After Bobby assures Rogue that he's completely cool with her eyes and everything. They hook up. Rogue lost her absorbing powers :? So she can make sweet love to him. Rogue acts like a sexual predator. No sign of Gambit's memory but perhaps the sexuality is a product of it.

Mystery guy - Some kid (the one speculated about) is walking around his mansion for his parents. He's got red hair (Pyro? Banshee?). He walks into a room and finds his parents dead on the floor. That's all. I have a problem with another pretty rich boy joining the pages of UXM. Too much like Angel if you ask me.

Kirkman did wonders. Can't wait for what's next.

5/5

P.S. The letters page sucked... Ice.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it as well. The art was great and the dialogue was well written and in many cases hilarious. I think kirkman has this characters down.

Holy ****. I didn't even know there was a letters page.

And the 'mystery guy', $50 says its the Magician.

And hell yeah, Sabes is back! Raney can draw a cool Sabertooth. Not much of a fan of his Bobby & Kurt. They looked like they haven't hit puberty yet.

2/5. Bad art, boring storyline, zero plot.

I don't like that Sabretooth is back. I don't like that Rogue has totally lost her own powers and is now a she-Gambit. The Iceman/Rogue thing was too forced and the shirt line was corny as hell.

I'm really starting to dislike Raney's art.

I DID like the apparent Shi'iar Ultimization. That could be going in a good direction. And the line about the IV was clever. And I liked jean going on the offensive. Well done.

But overall is was below average. Part of it is me being bitter that Vaughan is gone, but I'm able to separate that and judge a story that's not very good.

Hopefully it gets better.

No, I think Iceman and Nightcrawler look like the 16 year old punk kids they are.

i loved the issue. nothing much i want to say besides that it was awesome. Kirk-man working on the characterizations BKV set up really well, and I like that. And Bobby is getting some! I like how he was honest at the end, and not so cocky.

Though 10 bucks says something stops it. Like her powers get whacky or something. Editors might have something to say about underage kids doing the no-pants dance, even though tons of them do it.

oh, yes they do. i remember being a senior in high school and thinking the sophomores looked like they just hit puberty.

Hated the issue...
5/10

LOATHE the art. Just horrible... Sabertooth has hands bigger than his head, and they better show the admantium claws, unless he got them removed and we didn't know.

Bobby and Rogue: Forced. Gambit must be having an influence over her big time. For a person not used to intmacy she's way over-reacting to being able to touch if Gambit is not influencing her. Besides Bobby is a moron and doesn't deserve to breed.

Jean and Scott: Nothing new, repetitious BUT we have not seen in it a while so I guess I liked it. Jean did dress like a major skank.

Orro and Logan: Nothing unexpected when they said they were going to the pool haul. Everytime Logan goes to a pool haul in any universe (hell prolly in DC too) a stereotypical redneck will come up and pick on him. Sabertooth was a nice surprise but I want to see more of reason than "just cause I hate you".

Spiderman and Kitty: Definetly not enough of them in this comic, but then again USM will have an arc soon dealing with this so that might be the reason why. Still not enough.

Prof X: Wait and see for how this turns out but I hope Prof X has learned by now not to take money from freaky cults (example: Hellfire Club).

As for the new mutant... why can't we get some color in this comic? I swear its begining to look like a blank canvas. I mean I usually don't push about these types of things in 616 and DC because I know it's hard to come up with new characters that stick and become popular, but still this is a whole new universe and we have a chance to mix it up and almost have a gaurenteed fan base willing to at least check out one of thier favorite characters mixed up a little bit.

As UltimateE said before no plot whatsover, but I do not think this is supposed to have a plot line right? It's supposed to be pure character development right? Otherwise I missed it...

icemastertron said:
You make no sense. Iceman looked older than he does now in his first appearance. He's 16. He should look like he just got into the 7th grade when he didn't look like that before.

your mom doesn't make sense! classic comeback.

he looks younger now not because he's being drawn too young, but because he was being drawn as looking to be the same age as everyone else by other artists, just smaller. kubert drew him no younger than 17, back when he was mean to be 15.

if you haven't noticed, all of the characters look younger. they look like young adults. everyone else drew cyclops like he was 25, not 19. same with Jean. Colossus looked older, but mostly bc he's huge.

And again, go to a middle school or something, and look at 7th graders. They are much... MUCH smaller than that. That's still pre-huge-growth spurt age. None of my brothers friends are over 5' 3", right now. Nor do any of them look anywhere near what Nightcrawler and Iceman look like in this book.

I wasn't a fan of this issue either. The pacing was way to chopped up due to the technique (if you can call it that) Kirkman used to cover all the different X-Men. Not much happened in this issue, but then again the arc is called "Date Night" and we did get plenty of that, so if anything we weren't misled. I liked how Lilandra was introduced. Now everyone can quit *****ing about the Shi'ar being aliens. Also, did anyone else notice on the cover the "Phoenix Rising" tag? Along with the little snippets of Jean's weird behavior in this issue, anyone thinking Kirkman very well might be delving into the Phoenix storyline some? That would be interesting, and set up nicely for Singer (whenever the hell he eventually comes onto the title).

DIrishB said:
Now everyone can quit *****ing about the Shi'ar being aliens.
Nice way to put it. No one was "*****ing" if they were going to be aliens or not.

DIrishB said:
Also, did anyone else notice on the cover the "Phoenix Rising" tag? Along with the little snippets of Jean's weird behavior in this issue, anyone thinking Kirkman very well might be delving into the Phoenix storyline some? That would be interesting, and set up nicely for Singer (whenever the hell he eventually comes onto the title).
If no one noticed it, they need glasses! :lol:

But I'm thinking that her behavior is somehow tied to Phoenix because of that on the cover.

Last edited:
i wasn't *****ing, but i definitely did not want to see aliens in ultimate x-men.

icemastertron said:
Nice way to put it. No one was "*****ing" if they were going to be aliens or not.

Oh, yes they were. I think Goodwill was, and several others. They thought it would be too hokey and not make sense to introduce the Shi'ar as aliens in the UXM title. I kind of agreed, but didn't want to pass judgement until I'd read it. But there was definitly a fair amount of *****ing going on about it.

If no one noticed it, they need glasses! :lol:

But I'm thinking that her behavior is somehow tied to Phoenix because of that on the cover.

I think thats a given, I'm just wondering if we'll be getting little snippets of Jean acting nutso or whatever, or actually learn a bit more about the Phoenix force.

DIrishB said:
Oh, yes they were. I think Goodwill was, and several others. They thought it would be too hokey and not make sense to introduce the Shi'ar as aliens in the UXM title. I kind of agreed, but didn't want to pass judgement until I'd read it. But there was definitly a fair amount of *****ing going on about it.
Than me is sorry, I don't think I've read those parts. I do remember something else.

DIrishB said:
I think thats a given, I'm just wondering if we'll be getting little snippets of Jean acting nutso or whatever, or actually learn a bit more about the Phoenix force.
I sure hope so! That'd be cool seeing her act nuts, than ok. Cykes would think she has PMS or something. :lol:

icemastertron said:

I was.

Latest posts

Back