Ultimate X-Men #73 (Discussion/spoilers)

Goodwill

Here's an example of an issue with a lot of padding...

We first see the X-Men on the X-Jet, flying home from their mission against the Friends of Humanity. Kitty is going ape about the Magician and is asking him if he would teach her some new moves. Scott is worrying about Jean when he recieves a call from the Professor, asking when they will arrive. Scott thought it was odd that the Professor would call - he wouldn't usually call.

Then, Prof. X and Fury are discussing the Magician's powers and what he's capable of... Yes, I know I said the same thing twice. For the two page coversation, Nick and Prof. X were pretty much talking in circles about the Magician... They've come to the conclusion that he's responsible for something terrible.

When the Professor and Fury confront him, the manipulating begins... Scott flips and actually provokes the fight. Then, the Professor tells the X-Men to put the Magician down, but carefully, so that he can't use his powers on them anymore. After Xavier is taken down soon after, Wolverine takes the leadership position and pretty much encourages the team to kill the Magician... Finally, the Magician goes nuts and puts the X-Men in a tarry mess and claims that all he ever wanted was to be an X-Man... He was a fan even before he was a mutant.

Then, Jean comes in all Phoenix-y and is ready to do battle with the Magician...

Throughout the issue there was more padding... An entire page where Jean was just fooling with her powers, probably an indication that she feels she's got control over the Phoenix... And a page where Dazzler is missing from her hospital bed... Most likely to be elaborated on in the Annual.

3/5

I think the round-up and explanation issue will make this one make tons more sense... But that was just like putting my head down on a pillow.

Goodwill said:
Here's an example of an issue with a lot of padding...

We first see the X-Men on the X-Jet, flying home from their mission against the Friends of Humanity. Kitty is going ape about the Magician and is asking him if he would teach her some new moves. Scott is worrying about Jean when he recieves a call from the Professor, asking when they will arrive. Scott thought it was odd that the Professor would call - he wouldn't usually call.

Then, Prof. X and Fury are discussing the Magician's powers and what he's capable of... Yes, I know I said the same thing twice. For the two page coversation, Nick and Prof. X were pretty much talking in circles about the Magician... They've come to the conclusion that he's responsible for something terrible.

When the Professor and Fury confront him, the manipulating begins... Scott flips and actually provokes the fight. Then, the Professor tells the X-Men to put the Magician down, but carefully, so that he can't use his powers on them anymore. After Xavier is taken down soon after, Wolverine takes the leadership position and pretty much encourages the team to kill the Magician... Finally, the Magician goes nuts and puts the X-Men in a tarry mess and claims that all he ever wanted was to be an X-Man... He was a fan even before he was a mutant.

Then, Jean comes in all Phoenix-y and is ready to do battle with the Magician...

Throughout the issue there was more padding... An entire page where Jean was just fooling with her powers, probably an indication that she feels she's got control over the Phoenix... And a page where Dazzler is missing from her hospital bed... Most likely to be elaborated on in the Annual.

3/5

I think the round-up and explanation issue will make this one make tons more sense... But that was just like putting my head down on a pillow.

So Nightcrawler most of taken her. Maybe the Annual happens during the Magical arc.

Last edited:
I thought this issue was great. Suspense building up and art was better than usual. I liked the nod Kirkman/Raney did (intentional or not) from where Magician was about to rip Wolverine's adamantium out. I believe that page was about exactly the same stance from Wolverine (Vol. 2) #25. The fight with Magician and Jean will hopefully rock.

I can't wait for the next issue.
4/5

Ice, sorry for not putting the "Spoiler" mark in the title... I totally forgot.

Anyway, the fight scene next issue should be good... I hope Kirkman has enough guts to leave the mansion in splinters by next issue's end.

Goodwill said:
Ice, sorry for not putting the "Spoiler" mark in the title... I totally forgot.
Nothin' to worry about it. It's ok.

Goodwill said:
Anyway, the fight scene next issue should be good... I hope Kirkman has enough guts to leave the mansion in splinters by next issue's end.
He did say to one of my questions about that the mansion wasn't going to be destroyed. "At least...not all of it."

Last edited:
Booooooo!!!!!

Seriously. :neutral:

Hated the art. There were so many pages that seemed off. The coloring seemed to saturated as well. A lot of the characters' coloring looked as if someone took a fruit stand and tossed all the produce at the pages.

Didn't like the writing either. Every conversation was like a jumbled mess. It had promise in the beginning with Fury/Xavier.....but then all the action came into play and the writing quickly plumeted to:

Xavier: Magician....you've been a bad boy.
Cyclops: I don't like you.....here--have an optic blast!
X-Men: What are you doing Cyclops?
Cyclops: I'm the leader!!! I'm the leader!!!
X-Men: Ok...we get it.
Cyclops: Minions attack!!!!
X-Men: Ok.
Magician: I just wanted you guys to like me.

Ugh..... :sick:

This was horrible. Let's hurry up and wrap this crap up. If you need me, I'll be on the toilet reading the Ultimate Deadpool arc.

.5/5

Victor Von Doom said:
If you need me, I'll be on the toilet reading the Ultimate Deadpool arc.
Don't do it to yourself man. It's not worth it. We can come back from this. It'll be okay.

Last edited:
MaxwellSmart said:
Don't do to yourself man. It's not worth it. We can come back from this. It'll be okay.

NO! I've had it!!!! "Date Night" was bollocks. "The Phoenix" was bollocks. "Magical" is bollocks. And you know what---I am officially stating that I am not looking forward to "Ultimate Cable".

Back to Deadpool..................................FOLLOWED BY Ultimate Iron Man!!!!!!! :x

"One giant arc"........pffft. Referencing something in the past doesn't make it all connected. It means you looked at an old issue.

Last edited:
Hellsbuttmonkey said:
Are you really saying you would reread UIM over being poked in the brown eye with a pineapple? Coz I would find this a hard choice....
My new icon says it all.

I liked this issue also, Ice, although not as much as you did. (Still pretty close, though!)

3.5/5

By the way, I got confused when Kitty mentioned that the rocks didn't hurt as much as they should've. Was I just not picking up on something or will that be explained?

ultimatedjf said:
By the way, I got confused when Kitty mentioned that the rocks didn't hurt as much as they should've. Was I just not picking up on something or will that be explained?
No, I think what she meant that the attack didn't hurt like it should've. A boulder like that could've killed her, but it didn't. Meaning that the Magician didn't want her dead right there.

Ice said:
No, I think what she meant that the attack didn't hurt like it should've. A boulder like that could've killed her, but it didn't. Meaning that the Magician didn't want her dead right there.

Ah, o.k. Thanks, freaky avatar guy!

I didn't think it was bad, nor did I think it was just fluff like Goodie thought.

However..

Victor Von Doom said:
Hated the art. There were so many pages that seemed off. The coloring seemed to saturated as well. A lot of the characters' coloring looked as if someone took a fruit stand and tossed all the produce at the pages.

I agree with this. The colors seemed OK, but the pencils/inks were terrible. I just can't like Raney's work. it's just...not good.

That said, there were parts where, strangely, I thought Kitty looked GREAT. Weird. But overall - bad. Bad bad bad.

Victor Von Doom said:
Every conversation was like a jumbled mess. It had promise in the beginning with Fury/Xavier.....but then all the action came into play and the writing quickly plumeted to:

Any part of the conversation in this issue that didn't read well came across to me as normal or expected in light of what was going on with the Magician. Conversations read like a jumbled mess because the whole scene was a jumbled mess, and circumstances were constantly changing, seemingly to the Magician's whims. In other words, it didn't read as bad writing to me.

3/5.

Don't know what to think from what I've heard. But I'll know what I think in a day or two when it comes in the mail.

Latest posts

Back