Ultimate X-Men #78 discussion (Spoilers)

i don't think their was enough of a reaction to Xavier's death.

There wasn't supposed to be. It was a cliffhanger ending to the arc. The next arc deals with the aftermath and all it encompasses.

New X-Men in 616 is doing an awesome job of this aspect. At one point it was all action little story. But now that they've killed off a bunch of characters---they've spent the past 2 issues dealing with the reprecussions of that.

There wasn't supposed to be. It was a cliffhanger ending to the arc. The next arc deals with the aftermath and all it encompasses
i know that, it just flt that all the "no"s could have used alot more !!'s and more bold letters, to emphasize that the characters were really distraught over the sudden death of their mentor

this was a great issue, but it felt a little dry i can't quite put my finger on it, and i don't think their was enough of a reaction to Xavier's death.

3.5/5

Are you kidding me?! We get 4 large panels (I don't know what you call them) of the X-Men's instant reaction in addition to what VVD said.

Zombipanda said:
It's cool to see something serious develop between Storm and Wolverine as well.
Why do you say this? :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you say this? :shifty:

Are you asking why I think we're starting to see some real development in that relationship, or why it's cool?

I think the couple of shots of Wolverine consoling Storm is a good sign that things will develop in this upcoming arc.

There's no particular reason I want to see it. I just think it would be an interesting relationship. Storm's a good character who's under-utilized, and with her cuddling up to Wolverine, and Beast returning, I'm hoping we'll see more of her.

Are you asking why I think we're starting to see some real development in that relationship, or why it's cool?

I think the couple of shots of Wolverine consoling Storm is a good sign that things will develop in this upcoming arc.

There's no particular reason I want to see it. I just think it would be an interesting relationship. Storm's a good character who's under-utilized, and with her cuddling up to Wolverine, and Beast returning, I'm hoping we'll see more of her.
:arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh:

:arrgh: :arrgh: :arrgh:

Agreed. When the idea was introduced by BKV back in "Cry Wolf" it seemed ok. It was a nice tease/nod to some old 90s X-Men ideas. The tease that Storm would fall for Logan seemed natural since she had lost Hank and was now growing as a woman. But then Logan nipped it in the bud.

Unfortunately, some fans seem to still clamor for this to happen. Only God knows why? It's a forced-gimmicky idea.

Basically---it's dumb and never needs to happen again. I mean hell, while we're at it--lets have Forge see the light and come joing the X-Men. The Storm can fall in love with him.

Agreed. When the idea was introduced by BKV back in "Cry Wolf" it seemed ok. It was a nice tease/nod to some old 90s X-Men ideas. The tease that Storm would fall for Logan seemed natural since she had lost Hank and was now growing as a woman. But then Logan nipped it in the bud.

Unfortunately, some fans seem to still clamor for this to happen. Only God knows why? It's a forced-gimmicky idea.

Basically---it's dumb and never needs to happen again. I mean hell, while we're at it--lets have Forge see the light and come joing the X-Men. The Storm can fall in love with him.

Thanks for a response that makes sense.

I think there's a misunderstanding. I don't want to see a Storm/Wolverine wedding. Wolverine is and always should be a dickhead who can't sustain a real relationship. And that's exactly why him coupling together with Storm would be perfect. Storm's supposed to be a rough-around-the-edges former delinquent, but that's something we don't see all too much of. Storm needs to fall in with Wolverine. In the short term, this toughens her back up after the X-Men break-up, with her being under his wing - brings those rough edges back to the character. And when Wolverine gets bored with her and throws her away like a used Kleenex, she has to marry that toughness with an acute sense of self-preservation. Ideally, this would happen just as the team comes back together. Wolverine doesn't rejoin the team, instead going off to be Wolverine, and Storm comes back to the team, with a new-found strength, and the capabilities to be a rough-necked lieutenant for the new X-Men.

I have no problem with Storm/Logan. In fact the idea of him rejecting her and now they're slowly getting closer and he may change his mind is a lot fresher than most hook ups.

However in this previous issue there's no sign of any advancement in their relationship. NONE!

I have no problem with Storm/Logan. In fact the idea of him rejecting her and now they're slowly getting closer and he may change his mind is a lot fresher than most hook ups.

However in this previous issue there's no sign of any advancement in their relationship. NONE!

Maybe I missed something in earlier issues, but I don't pore over them like a missionary over the Bible either.

Either way, going on about it is just splitting hairs. Storm's running to Wolverine for solace. My point is, even if the conclusion of the story wasn't that stellar, it still leaves all of the characters in an interesting place.

Maybe I missed something in earlier issues, but I don't pore over them like a missionary over the Bible either.

Either way, going on about it is just splitting hairs. Storm's running to Wolverine for solace. My point is, even if the conclusion of the story wasn't that stellar, it still leaves all of the characters in an interesting place.
It just seemed like you were pulling a Betty loves Fury and although here it may be true at that moment it could've been any two characters looking after one another.

I totally understand the Storm/Wolverine thing. Storm goes for the bestial guys and Wolverine just likes to bed a woman and move on. He had Jean and lost her, and he'll have Storm and then probably lose her too. Maybe he'll shack up with Ms. Frost next.

I totally understand the Storm/Wolverine thing. Storm goes for the bestial guys and Wolverine just likes to bed a woman and move on. He had Jean and lost her, and he'll have Storm and then probably lose her too. Maybe he'll shack up with Ms. Frost next.

Maybe he'll go looking for his wife. . .

I know Kirkman sort of handled it, but that's been a dangling plot thread since David Mack was supposed to take over the book after Millar.

Last edited:
Maybe he'll go looking for his wife. . .

I know Kirkman sort of handled it, but that's been a dangling plot thread since David Mack was supposed to take over the book after Millar.

I'm just afraid that Wolverine's wife will end up being gimmicky, too. . .

Last edited:
It just seemed like you were pulling a Betty loves Fury and although here it may be true at that moment it could've been any two characters looking after one another.

I think the difference is, there's no context for the Betty/Fury situation. We saw them holding hands but other than that, we really haven't seen the two together at all, and in the few panels where we DID see them, there wasn't any tangible romantic tension. Not to mention, if I remember correctly, that wasn't the focal point of the panel it appeared in.

On the other hand, let's look at what Kirkman's doing with this scene (and I normally don't get anal retentive, but I need to look now, because now I'm worried I MIGHT have blown it out of proportion).

We get two pages of the post-wreckage scene. The first one's spliut into three panels, where we get Wolverine helping Storm up amongst the rest of the crew. Then Wolverine, along with the shadows of Colossus and Storm are all we get framed, then Wolves and Storm in shadows, looking at the skeleton. Then the next page we get four panels of the mess, with Storm clinging on Wolverine as the anchor point. Nah. The Betty/Fury thing can be passed off, but Kirkman's clearly drawing attention to Wolverine and Storm there. He's definitely setting them up for something. I don't think bringing it up as a major theme of the issue is at all out of line, considering the two of them are front and center in two pages.

I'm just afraid that Wolverine's wife will end up being gimmicky, too. . .

Wolverine's wife is actually Wolverine's clone, from the future.... As Bendis taught us in the Clone Saga, the trick to engineering a perfect clone is to give them boobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the difference is, there's no context for the Betty/Fury situation. We saw them holding hands but other than that, we really haven't seen the two together at all, and in the few panels where we DID see them, there wasn't any tangible romantic tension. Not to mention, if I remember correctly, that wasn't the focal point of the panel it appeared in.

On the other hand, let's look at what Kirkman's doing with this scene (and I normally don't get anal retentive, but I need to look now, because now I'm worried I MIGHT have blown it out of proportion).

We get two pages of the post-wreckage scene. The first one's spliut into three panels, where we get Wolverine helping Storm up amongst the rest of the crew. Then Wolverine, along with the shadows of Colossus and Storm are all we get framed, then Wolves and Storm in shadows, looking at the skeleton. Then the next page we get four panels of the mess, with Storm clinging on Wolverine as the anchor point. Nah. The Betty/Fury thing can be passed off, but Kirkman's clearly drawing attention to Wolverine and Storm there. He's definitely setting them up for something. I don't think bringing it up as a major theme of the issue is at all out of line, considering the two of them are front and center in two pages.

Wolverine's wife is actually Wolverine's clone, from the future.... As Bendis taught us in the Clone Saga, the trick to engineering a perfect clone is to give them boobs.

So. . .Cable is going to have boobs next time we see him? He's going to merge with Vision to be Cablevision!

Kirkman on Cable:

Robert Kirkman said:
I just kinda wish Cable was his own character. I think it's okay for him to know future versions of the X-Men or their kids, but I hate that in the 616 version he is one their kids. I also hate that Rachel Grey is their kid from another universe. I have grown to like both Cable and Rachel in the 616, but when I think about where they come from, I cringe a little.

How can you be sure you'll never feel the same way about Ultimate Cable? You could grow to like him but sometimes cringe when you think of where he came from.

I dare say it's almost true to the spirit of the 616 Cable to make him Wolverine.

Also, Wolverine could have been ANYTHING before you met him in issue 1... but it doen't effect who he is NOW. I think Cable is very much his own man... there are years that he's been through that Wolverine may or may not experience to make him a different person.

And I've still got a few things up my sleeve that I think people will enjoy about the character.

-Robert

Latest posts

Back