Ultimate X-Men #78 discussion (Spoilers)

Yeah but the only Liberator to die and me regret dying was Abomination, and that's only because there's not that many threats that Hulk can go toe to toe with for a good long while. With Abomination gone, it seems...wasted.

Bendis sucks at villains. He brings one up and dismisses them all too quickly and with little character.

So yeah, Cable's not like any of them. And I'm not a big fan of Cable, it just seems weak to have made one "new" character into Wolverine. It was one of the principle reasons I didn't like Doc Strangefate's Xavier is Apocalypse idea, it made one of my favorite 90s villains into Xavier.

It was weak.

But it was a good story, and I hope to see Cable again soon, odds are killing Xavier didn't change anything (either through Xavier being alive/Cable being nuts/or he lives in an Alternate future where Xavier lived) and I do want to know more about that character and what made him, and WHAT HE THOUGHT XAVIER DID!

I wished Kirkman didn't spoil his own twists in the solicitations. He's almost as bad as Bendis, and his twists are actually a lot better. It was pretty apparent in the issue from the cover to Cyclops' reckless and almost suicidal actions were red herrings in order to make it look like he was going to bite it. Heck, he was the first suspect most people speculated to get the chopping block!Because of this, this last issue did not have the same impact as it would have if we had totally no clue. Imagine if every episode of 24 where a major character dies, they would advertise who it was on TV or make blatantly obvious clues. Now he's ruined what would have been a decent surprise by making it obvious that he's bringing back Beast. I really think Kirkman is doing well in this book and the Cable arc made me stop caring about Bryan Singer's run, but I hope he becomes more patient in keeping certain things to himself more.

Last edited:
Well, there are so many comic booky ways to "bring back" Beast and it still not be the Hank McCoy we knew and loved before part of a building fell on him.

There are two things that you have to remember, Weapon X turned him into the furry blue wonder, that means they possibly have his DNA......yeah....

Another thing is that in the two issues before his return we have Ultimate Shadow King, which if he's anything like 616 Shadow King...means he's a POWERFUL telepath. Beast could be a telepathic lie.

So just because we know Beast is coming back, doesn't mean all right with the world, and we really shouldn't expect it to be the same guy. His return when the X-Men are at their weakest tells me to expect treachery.

So Beast coming back, doesn't have to be the twist...

I remember Vaughan saying on his board once that he USED to do his, but now there's an editor that does it. He then went on to say it's best that we (the readers) didn't read those things because they're chopped full of spoilers.

What's the deal with all the recent letters to UXM's letters page about how much they disliked Vaughan's run and how much they loved Bendis' run?? This combined with all the love for the Clone Saga in USM's letters page (#104 features a letter from someone saying that the storyline might be their favorite in all of comics -- seriously) almost makes me believe that Marvel is writing these letters themselves. That wouldn't explain the Vaughan hate though, so I'm gonna chalk it up to worldwide brainwashing.

Ultimate Central: The sanest place on the web!
(With the exception of Gamma Man and Lil Kis)​

What's the deal with all the recent letters to UXM's letters page about how much they disliked Vaughan's run and how much they loved Bendis' run?? This combined with all the love for the Clone Saga in USM's letters page (#104 features a letter from someone saying that the storyline might be their favorite in all of comics -- seriously) almost makes me believe that Marvel is writing these letters themselves. That wouldn't explain the Vaughan hate though, so I'm gonna chalk it up to worldwide brainwashing.

No, it's true. Most comic book fans don't have a ****ing clue.

Bendis's run had a few decent issues.

Vaughan's run was the best run on the series. It was great, it had stories that were great, and unlike Millar or Bendis's runs...every character had their moment to shine and they never said or acted the slightest out of character!

I think Marvel could publish a story where the Punisher is the father to Peter Parker and people would cheer and call it an "inspirational" story "moving, and daring" and of course, "makes these characters go in new directions".

Still, Speedball could be in an iron maiden....and.....oh...wait...

I think most of the people that didn't like BKV's run didn't like it because of the changes he introduced, such as Sinister, Longshot, Mojo etc. They're probably all the die-hard X-Men fans who loved the previous versions, but can't get past these new versions, which are hundreds of times better.

But yeah, I haven't read the majority of Kirkman's 9 issue filler arc 'cause it sounded incredibly bad, but I've loved Cable so far. I'd like to see more of him later on.

Bendis's run had a few decent issues.

Vaughan's run was the best run on the series. It was great, it had stories that were great, and unlike Millar or Bendis's runs...every character had their moment to shine and they never said or acted the slightest out of character!

I think Marvel could publish a story where the Punisher is the father to Peter Parker and people would cheer and call it an "inspirational" story "moving, and daring" and of course, "makes these characters go in new directions".

Still, Speedball could be in an iron maiden....and.....oh...wait...

I liked Bendis' New Mutants. I thought the whole "government conspiracy" would have worked better if the villain was someone we knew, but the introduction to Emma, Beast's unexpected death, and the issue where Wolverine kills that kid were all brilliant.

. . .WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU, BENDIS!? :(

Millar's run was the best. Hands down.

Vaughan's was next. His reimagining of characters is exactly what I want to see. Very top notch. Tempest was my favorite arc.

okay i may be over analyzing this but,

with chuckles dead, wouldn't wolverine do everything in his power to avoid becoming cable?, thus preventing wolverine from becoming cable in the first place, thus allowing Xavier to live, thus wolverine never knowing about cable, thus wolverine eventually becoming cable, thus cable killing xavier, thus wolverine doing everything in his power to avoid becoming cable, thus preventing cable from ever happening.... oh know i've gone cross eyed

time travel stories are always so confusing

This reminds me of why I hate heavy sci-fi so much.

Thinking about this makes my brain hurt.

Well, any time there's time travel from the future you have an alternate timeline. No one will rigidly follow the events depicted in the future of one story to the limit of telling any other story. It just won't happen. At one point 2099 was THE future of Marvel. How's that working out?
Joe got it.. Remember the UFF President Thor arc? It's been made clear that the UU splits off into multiple timelines.

Ultimates: Tomorrow Men made this clear too.

As for the issue. As an issue, I didn't like it. It just seemed to go "fight fight fight BOOM skeleton end". But as a turning point of the series and a new beginning, it worked well enough. 3/5 as an issue.

More mention to Iceman being uber powerful.

"GO LIMP!" Ha, Kirkman seems to be struggling with fight dialogue. "MC Hammer" comes to mind...

Definetly agree with Xavier going to the future. I wonder if they'll bury the skeleton and have it revealed to be Cable's later? I'd laugh.

I really hope Wolverine/Storm ends on a sour and hateful note. Really, I just don't like the couple in any continuity. Never have.

Yeah, what was with the letters page? I'm all for criticism from the fans and having them being published in the letters page instead of the generic "OMG this is the best book evur!!!" stuff most of them like to put in (USM #104 letters page, go rot in a corner), but really... Then again, reading the FF #542 letters where every letter but one reported the same mistake is influencing my comments on this. But a group "lol" to that V guy. I couldn't even understand what he was asking for! Yeah, sure political correctness needs to be enforced, but this guy's demanding for it in all the wrong places and way too harshly. (Yes, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.)

The Academy of Tomorrow kids return next ish!

Definetly agree with Xavier going to the future. I wonder if they'll bury the skeleton and have it revealed to be Cable's later? I'd laugh.
Unless his trick is to come back from the dead, it wont be Cables. Kirkman has stated he has more up his sleeve with Cable, so I'm pretty sure that means Cable isn't dead.

A possiblity could be that, as people stated, Xavier is now in the future. So the dead skeleton is actually someone from the future that Cable had ready for such a case? Then he could torture Xavier and what not, or even try to "sentence" him. Something like that. We'll see when the time comes for him to show up again.

Unless his trick is to come back from the dead, it wont be Cables. Kirkman has stated he has more up his sleeve with Cable, so I'm pretty sure that means Cable isn't dead.

A possiblity could be that, as people stated, Xavier is now in the future. So the dead skeleton is actually someone from the future that Cable had ready for such a case? Then he could torture Xavier and what not, or even try to "sentence" him. Something like that. We'll see when the time comes for him to show up again.

It's Booster Gold's skeleton.

It's Booster Gold's skeleton.

:D I find that incredibly funny. Thank you.

What happened is this. Cable goes back in time, confronts the X-Men, kidnaps Jean, then confronts Xavier, and takes Xavier into the future. He tortures him for a while, interrogates him, kills him, and incinerates him so all that's left is a skeleton. Then he goes in his time machine to a point in time BEFORE when he confronts the X-Men and gives himself the skeleton, so he has evidence to plant when he goes back in time to kidnap Xavier.

It's brilliant, really. Bendis actually suggested the idea to Kirkman.

Why does Xavier have to jump to the future? The man can manipulate everyone there into thinking he's dead. In fact, he has some good reasons to go into hiding.

I keep rereading this issue and I can't help but feel it's probably one of the best of UXM I've ever read. I enjoyed it... a lot.

Why does Xavier have to jump to the future? The man can manipulate everyone there into thinking he's dead. In fact, he has some good reasons to go into hiding.

I keep rereading this issue and I can't help but feel it's probably one of the best of UXM I've ever read. I enjoyed it... a lot.

I, for one, was joking. Xavier jumping into the future is stupid, and anyone who would choose to write it is a jerk. a gay jerk.

Keep the time travel element of it simple. Cable came back in time to kill Xavier. Now Xavier's either dead or in hiding. There's no need to have people hopping around the time stream willy-nilly.

I, for one, was joking. Xavier jumping into the future is stupid, and anyone who would choose to write it is a jerk. a gay jerk.

Keep the time travel element of it simple. Cable came back in time to kill Xavier. Now Xavier's either dead or in hiding. There's no need to have people hopping around the time stream willy-nilly.
Now you make it sound as if people are saying Xavier chose to go the future...

Now you make it sound as if people are saying Xavier chose to go the future...

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

I hear chicks from the future are easy. Maybe Xavier heard the same thing and figured that was totally the place to be.

Whether it was Xavier's choice or not, I'd rather not see him wandering around through time. Whether it was a choice or not is completely negligible in my argument.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back