Ultimate X-Men gets chopped & Ultimates 4 issue cancelled

(Pool party this weekend at his house! w00t!!)

And sensual back rubs.

I'd be surprised if he commented on it...it's a pretty wild rumor. It's only even a yellow light at LitG.

And sensual back rubs.
It wouldn't be real party without them.

I'd be surprised if he commented on it...it's a pretty wild rumor. It's only even a yellow light at LitG.
Yeap and I mentioned that in the e-mail saying that even though it's a rumor, maybe there's something he can mention that I'm allowed to say. 'Cuz being in the know...I know. 8)

Woah woah woah.

First of all. The "cancellation" of Ultimates 4 only means that what Loeb is doing in 3 has changed and that whatever was already drawn for 4 needed to be scraped because it didn't match up with what's going on with 3. Simple. Not because this guy's art is terrible, but because the story is being fleshed out so that it won't only effect the Ultimates title, but the universe.

As for the UXM news? Is it because Bendis and Loeb aren't on the title? :roll:

I don't know what I feel about the UU at the moment right now. It's what got me into comics... I wouldn't have anything mailed to me, not even a magazine, if it weren't for the stories that were in the UU for a while. Then, it just became fouled up with tardy titles, poor quality, and a blatant disregard to continuity. I wish they would start over with consideration for everything. That's what should be happening. If UXM goes, everything should go. And the editor should be fired. If he can't keep track of four titles squaring up to one another then what the **** has the guy been doing?

Woah woah woah.

First of all. The "cancellation" of Ultimates 4 only means that what Loeb is doing in 3 has changed and that whatever was already drawn for 4 needed to be scraped because it didn't match up with what's going on with 3. Simple. Not because this guy's art is terrible, but because the story is being fleshed out so that it won't only effect the Ultimates title, but the universe.

I don't see anyone saying McGuiness is terrible. I think Doom said he was too similar to Mad, which beyond the beefiness I don't see, but that doesn't mean bad. He's probably in my top ten artist in the industry...

But you're probably right on the first issue just needing scrapped due to conflicts. Starting it this early was probably a bad idea. Things change. Now I don't think they should wait forever, but with the amount of upheaval the UU seems to be headed for they might have jumped the gun.

It's a shame. Ultimates 4, even though it was going a different direction to Ultimates 1 and 2, looked like a vast improvement over 3. McGuiness is way better than Mad. I have no idea what's even happening with this now and I don't care.

And UXM. What the hell are they talking about? I don't understand any of these changes. They're stupid. What the **** are they doing to this universe? I don't get any of it.

UXM isn't that interesting right now, despite all of it's huge changes.

I'm a tad surprised to see UXM's cancellation before UFF's, though, simply based on sales. For this reason, I have a feeling that UXM will return as Ultimate X-Force, or something similar.

Note: I did not read any posts above mine. If my theories are similar, sorry.

UXM isn't that interesting right now, despite all of it's huge changes.

I'm a tad surprised to see UXM's cancellation before UFF's, though, simply based on sales. For this reason, I have a feeling that UXM will return as Ultimate X-Force, or something similar.
Wrong on both accounts.

So close to its 100th issue as well... I hope this turns out not to be true, has it's the only X-title I'm currently reading!

You're wrong as well. Why don't you two wrong-os go marry each other!

Wrong-o marriage is illegal everywhere except Massachusetts.

From the June sale charts:

Qty Rank - Retail Rank - Index - Title ------------------------- Price - Ven
23 --------- 24 --------- 136.12 - ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #110 - $2.99 - MAR
34 --------- 36 --------- 110.30 - ULTIMATE X-MEN #83 -------- $2.99 - MAR
46 ---------- 48 -------- 95.10 -- ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #43 - $2.99 - MAR

I don't get it. UXM's selling pretty good. Not brilliant like USM but not bad. Certain worth the money for Kirkman and the random meh artist of the week. As long as it's making money I don't understand the canceling.

As for the UXM news? Is it because Bendis and Loeb aren't on the title? :roll:

I got the feeling from some of the interviews Loeb was doing that...this isn't far from true. I get you were joking but here's the thing.

Loeb and Bendis have formed an unholy alliance and they're warping the UU into what they want. Loeb somehow even got his mitts into UXM and UFF with that back-up crossover Ultimatum. Which I said back when it was announced was rude and mean to Kirkman and Carey's runs on both of those books.

Carey's doing this big cosmic centered arc with the Cube being a big part of it. Kirkman's run is building up to Apoc. These books HAVE DIRECTION! Something Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-Man seriously lack!

Looking at the numbers (and the fact that Ultimate trades sell well) I have to say...yeah...Loeb and Bendis have an agenda for the whole universe and Kirkman's New X-Men run is messing it up. Instead of getting all FOUR writers together and seeing if their stories will match continuity...I'm guessing Loeb (being the super star overrated writer he is) pulled some strings and now UXM is being canceled because it'll do less damage to their story that way.

Which again screams of rude and mean to Kirkman.

Nevermind the fact that as a reader I find the ideas that this new direction Bendis and Loeb (LOBENDIS as the old thread said) are pushing is complete garbage! Looking at Ultimates 3....it's meh. It's Ultimate War with Spidey, Venom, and Valk in it!

Let's see where this direction takes us....from the interviews Valkyrie is now from Asgard as she is in 616. Venom looks like he does in 616. Nick Fury will die or get demoted at the end of Ultimate Power leaving a power vaccum in SHIELD. The Ultimates are now the Avengers with Spidey and Wolverine on the team. Dr. Doom is behind the events of Ultimate Power...with no explanation to continuity. The events in Ultimate Origins will affect Ultimate Wolverine and Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum will end some of that (which is **** planning if that's really how Loeb said it would be. Ultimate 3 will be done with its 6 issue run by 2009, Ultimate Wolverine doesn't have a release date, Ultimate Origins doesn't either. Only Ultimatum has a date and that's around issue 90-something of UXM...no way the other things will be out by then.)

This seems like **** to me; utter ****ing ****! And I promise you UXM is not cut because of money. They used that on us for Nextwave and it was as much bull**** then as it is now.(I still don't buy that, it was too good and too widely loved for costs to be a factor. Marvel's a multi-million dollar company they could afford whatever two people's pay was and printing fees if they can keep 4 terrible Spidey books. Immonen's on Ultimate Spidey now and I bet he's being paid more and Ellis is on AXM and I bet his pay for that's more than it was for Nextwave, this was a **** reason to cancel a book, especially since the trades weren't out and already fanboys for it were on every message board and it was still gaining readers.)

I'm a cynical man, and since UXM was in the top 40 on a bad issue...I think it's safe to assume this is because UXM was going in a different direction than Loeb's Ultimates 3, Ultimate Wolverine, and Ultimatum would like, and different than Bendis would like for Ultimate Origin and Ultimate Spider-Man.

There are a lot worse titles than UXM and a lot of titles selling a lot less. Exiles seems to sell pretty bad...like really really bad. That's a title to cut. Ultimate Power is selling about a thousand more units than UXM is; considering that should be this big event...that's pretty bad. That's something you wrap up fast and cut back on more minis in the Ultimate Universe and focus on the core four books.

Info I got is from here:
http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/07/19/marvel-month-to-month-sales-june-2007/

If this rumor turns out to be true...I know why. And it's a terrible thing to do.

I just....this is so odd.

It's an upheavel that I see as a way to reconstruct the UU, but do we have to destroy it in the process to do so? I mean, we were reading stories in USM that were pointless and blatantly filler so that Bendis and Bagley could take the cake come issue 110. It's no wonder Bagley jumped ship, really... :roll: I kind of feel like it's because of all of the lateness, too. Lateness that the editors let slide "for the quality of the story telling" at the expense of continuity. They had to know what they were doing, right? RIGHT?

It's an upheavel that I see as a way to reconstruct the UU, but do we have to destroy it in the process to do so?

To do it right - yes.

But the thing is that cancelling UXM isn't "doing it right". That's why I think this story is off...not saying it isn't partially true, but it makes zero sense to cancel the line's only x-book and leave the Fantastic 4 book going. I suppose that it's possible that something similar is in store for UFF and it just wasn't reported (maybe because no one cares), but still - we have Ultimates 3 & 4 in the works, and it's highly doubtful they would cancel USM after all the hullabaloo over Bendis & Bagley breaking an imaginary record.

It's a yellow light story - that means he (Rich Johnston) can't verify it. There's likely more to it than just axing the entire book. Settle down, people.

It's an upheavel that I see as a way to reconstruct the UU, but do we have to destroy it in the process to do so? I mean, we were reading stories in USM that were pointless and blatantly filler so that Bendis and Bagley could take the cake come issue 110. It's no wonder Bagley jumped ship, really... :roll: I kind of feel like it's because of all of the lateness, too. Lateness that the editors let slide "for the quality of the story telling" at the expense of continuity. They had to know what they were doing, right? RIGHT?

But don't all comics do filler? if it's a series , Like 616 Spider-man has done plenty of times. Ultimate Spider-man wasn't really filler. Even arcs like Silver sable were done but not filler as such , In fact I found it to be a little fun.

Nearly all the stories build up something. Might not be obvious but some helped make us see more of why Peter and M.J were going to fail , others how he coped with gwen's death or his feelings for something else.

The only arc I would say was filler was that Superstars one with human touch going to his school BUT that lead into the UXM crossover in which we find out Kitty really liked Spider-man and so served as the genesis if you will , of peter and kitty.

But what's it reconstructing to?

See, I wasn't big into comics in the early 90s so I missed the big deal about a BRAND NEW ISSUE ONE! deal. I read a bit of Spidey, some X-Men, and some Batman for a few years and then quit comics until I got the Vol 1 of Ultimate X-Men and Vol 1 of Ultimates 1.

Then I was hooked.

So forgive me if I never understand the big deal about a new issue one. If Marvel (Lobendis) doesn't like what Kirkman's doing...it's their property. Tell him he's out after whatever arc he's on and get a replacement (Lobendis) to do it. I think Ultimate X-Men 100 sounds more impressive than Ultimate X-Men Volume 2 issue 1 with a new creative team.

I mean did the renumbering of Spider-Girl really help sales? No. I don't think it ever helps and a few titles even go back to the original numbering which just confuses more than anything else!

Bah! I need to get issue one of Doktor Sleepless to read something I know will be good.

Latest posts

Back