Ultimates 2 #13 (Spoilers & Discussion)

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
Well, that wasn't worth the wait.

I mean, it was an all out big brawl of....meh. This issue was not needed in any opinion. I mean, other than confirming that Thor and Loki was Gods, this issue did nothing for me.

And the bit with Captain America at the end was pretty stupid. That should have been in the first volume, in the first issue.

Wanda asking out one of the Ultrons on a date? Stupid.

I do like how Iron Man was written though, instantly getting over Black Widow by looking at a hot blond and heading out to take her out. By far, a good point of the issue.

Hawkeye got his revenge, like four different times overall

And Perun got arrested.

This ended poorly in my opinion, extremely poorly.

I'm done complaining. What are other people's thoughts?

Re: Ultimates #13 (Spoilers & Discussion)

I would respond, but I can't remember the rest of Ultimates 2. Clearly, it has been too long. :wink:

Ultimates 2 #13 Discussion (Spoilers!)

Well, it finally came out. And I read it.

My thoughts? I'm disappointed actually. Everything is very predictable, but I guess I kind of knew that before I read it.

Summary time!

It begins with Loki tricking Thor into believing he's a mental patient again. Thor breaks through the illusion, and smacks Loki with his hammer, but Loki retaliates by letting loose the evil forces of Asgard. Thor counterattacks with letting Valhalla loose. Thor beats Loki.

Pretty much everybody feels really dumb for doubting Thor's godhood, but he shrugs it off and says it was all part of Odin's plan anyway (No, we don't get to see Odin). He proclaims himself protector of the planet now. Jan seems to be hitting on Thor now. Hank, of course, shows up and says he infiltrated the Liberators. Cap and Thor tell him there's no way they believe him and that he's going to jail. Then we cut to Wanda flirting with Ultron. Weird.

Cleanup begins. We find out Perun is the only remaining Liberator and he just decides to turn himself in. China and Russia immedately distance themselves from the Liberators by condemning the attack and immediately send aid and claim to be doing an internal investigation. Congress and the EU tell the White House to back off on threats of a counterattack using the Ultimates, which then brings up. . .

Cap telling Fury the Ultimates are going independent. Tony is going to fund them now. Cut to the hospital Black Widow is at. She's in a coma, but then Hawkeye shows up. She wakes up (Obviously faking it) and tries to run, but Hawkeye pins her to the wall with an arrow through each hand. She makes a snide remark about if he wanted her to say anything to his children, and he retorts "Won't see them where you're going, comrade. Burn in Hell" and places one right between her eyes.

Cut to Stark Tower which is being refitted into the new Ultimates HQ. Seems Fury's fine with the Ultimates leaving due to the fact that the US, Russia and China are signing a Superhuman Testban Treaty. Tony makes reference to the Quinjet ("Tell Fury to hang on to the jet for a few more weeks while we finish the hangar") and says to his assistant that the Ultimates going independent was always a high possibility that he had accounted for. Then, he becomes upset that Natasha broke his heart, saying that she was just like him with breasts and that's something he always wanted (Yes, I'm serious). He gets over it quickly when he spots a hot blonde walking down on the street below and rushed off to meet her.

Next, we see Pym in Hulk's holding cell with Jan talking to him. Finally, we cut back to 1942 with Cap and Gail talking about him going away. He says that he's always wanted this. Then she says she's worried about the experiments, but Cap shrugs it off saying that he's sure nothing will go wrong (Awfully ominous. . .). Gail starts to cry and gives him the picture of her to remember her by. She makes him promise to come home, and he does. They kiss. The end.

Like I said, fairly predictable. Looks like the team is now Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, the Hulk (Who seems fairly in control), and the Wasp. We'll see if Loeb keeps that roster.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Houde, for once. This issue was very disappointing. Its probably in large part due to the 6 month delay on the issue, but it really was a let down. I'm glad we got confirmation of Thor's godhood and all, but otherwise this was basically just an epilogue issue. I give it a 3/5.

Too much emphasis on Thor and Cap and not enough on Hulk. Seriously, where'd he go after it was all over? The Hawkeye in the hospital part alone was worth the 6 month wait. Wish we had a little more Hank Pym going on here. I mean I don't even know if his intentions were good or bad or what? I wish he was written as such a punk.

I'm not even gonna try to comment on this. It's been a long wait and as far as a single issue goes----this was not worth it.

Except for Tony's scene on getting over Natasha. That was great.

And I am horribly disappointed that it wasn't Odin.....but instead a bunch of Viking Gods. Odin coming down and wiping out all Loki's minions with just a sweep of his hand/sword would've been better.

Maybe I'll comment on this later when the bitterness wears off.

Hmmm...I liked it.

Was it as epic as it should have been. Nah. Was it affected by the long delay? Definitely.

But storywise I really enjoyed it...the fight scene was better than the one with the Chitauri in Vol. 1. I liked the whole redemption of Thor and how he said the world was under his protection now. I was not in favor of anything definitively confirming or denying Thor's godhood but this was well-done.

And there were some funny parts - Tony spotting the blonde, Wanda asking the robot out.

The best part may have been Hawkeye's revenge.

Kind of stupid that nothing was said about Fury's arm...that was a pretty major thing. Also nice that the book didn't end with him proposing to Betty or something stupid like that.

Solid 4.5/5.

Not worth the wait. I enjoyed the issue for the most part, but definately too long in the making.

Hawkeye was good in this issue. The glasses line was funny. And his big revenge scene was handled well.

Thor's godhood was also handled well, although personally I always liked the idea of him being some nutjob with a hammer a lot better.

Wanda and the robot, not so much. Could have lived without that scene.

The last scene was completely out of place. Houde was right, it should have been used a long time ago. Not now. AND WHAT HAPPENS TO THE HULK? Last time we see him Betty is putting a blanket on him after the battle while he sits with the rest of the Ultimates. Is he in the Ultimates now? He destroyed a goodly chunk of New York and from time to time he eats people. Is he really joining the world's premiere super team? Why couldn't that have gotten a page or two rather than the waste of good page space ending we got?

Best part, as said by others, was Tony. Good stuff.

All in all, a good issue. Moderately satisfying. If it had come out anywhere close to on time I'd give it a thumbs up, but after they made me wait this long they had to make this issue spectacular to win me over. It wasn't, so I'm not.

Thumbs down *****es.

I would've prefered two issues, one to come out much earlier..and more epilogue talking about hulk/pym/fury's arm / is fury gonna be with ultimates.

Also it made me think things like if this comes before clone saga..what fury was doing and if it at some point went triskilion home to ultimates..it would be wrong.

I was mainly expecting lots of fights in this issue..lots of nice hitch art...worth the wait for that alone

Kind of stupid that nothing was said about Fury's arm...that was a pretty major thing. Also nice that the book didn't end with him proposing to Betty or something stupid like that.
Damn straight. How about the fact that there were no tragic deaths. Wasn't everyone expecting one of the members to bite it? Nice to see that they split on peaceful terms and it wasn't some "**** American government" bs. The Ultimates will at least be on good terms with SHIELD and if they weren't it would be too similar to Post Civil War 616

The lack of Hulk really bothered me though.

Damn straight. How about the fact that there were no tragic deaths. Wasn't everyone expecting one of the members to bite it? Nice to see that they split on peaceful terms and it wasn't some "**** American government" bs. The Ultimates will at least be on good terms with SHIELD and if they weren't it would be too similar to Post Civil War 616

The lack of Hulk really bothered me though.

I think everyone knows that Banner is in control of the Hulk now. Or, at least, in control enough that he tears apart his enemies rather than his friends and innocents. So, I think we'll see him on Loeb's Ultimates. I mean. . .if it was my decision, you can bet your *** I'd be putting Banner/Hulk on the team after this. And I think Cap, Thor and Tony (The three power players/leaders) would agree.

I'm also glad that the Ultimates split was on good terms. I actually wasn't expecting that. I was basically expecting them to give Fury the finger and leaving. I mean, honestly, he wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. But, this also means SHIELD will be closer to its 616 counterpart now.

Last edited:
The time-line ramifications of this issue are likely going to make DiB's head explode. Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House? That places this book squarely THIS YEAR.

Huh?

That said, completely not worth the wait! I am more than a bit upset.

Their run started with WWII Cap, and it should end that way - not out of place at all... I thought it was a nice book-end that made this more complete, actually.

The wait means nothing anymore - let's read it from Ultimates 1 #1 to Ultimates 2 #13, and then judge... I think it will be viewed as a masterpiece that did not falter in the end.

(Can't wait for the HC!!) :)

Hawkeye and Tony are the only characters that interested me in this issue. Overall, besides Hawkeye's awesome hospital scene, this issue was really stupid. The pacing on the "epic battle" seemed wrong. My biggest fear right now is what Loeb is going to do to this book.

Latest posts

Back