Ultimates 2 #5 HIT ME! ( SPOILERS)

I just re read all of Ultimates last night and found yet another (possible) parralel in Vol. 1 #6: Thor says that he's known who he is since he was 13, but only after his nervous breakdown (a few weeks short of his 30th birthday) did he realize his destiny. Wasn't Jesus told he was the son of God around his 13th birthday? And I believe he started preaching Christianity around his early 30s. Can someone comfirm this.

compound said:
Look, if Jesus Christ were to reveal Himself today -- mid-April 2005, as a fully-grown human being -- most Christians would probably dismiss Him as a fraud, rationality and empiricism being what it is.

The Vatican -- currently without a leader or recognizable figurehead -- would probably debate the matter throroughly, before releasing any official ruling about this alleged 'Second Coming'.

He *would* probably attract a sizable following of True Believers who innately have faith in His divinity and his basic message of Love and Peace. He would probably urge cancellation of Third World debt, and hang out with Bono.

But chances are, the US Government would view His growing influence as a threat to the stability of democratic nations (read: US interests) everywhere.

Sound familiar to you? :wink:

The point is he wouldn't lose his cool like Thor did. Those are some good thoughts compound but they have nothing to do with what I was saying.

Compound's got a good point there -- if Jesus showed up today, a lot of his professed followers wouldn't believe it was him. And it would take the Vatican a decade or two of debate to come to a decision (even if we did have someone in charge). The Roman Catholic Church tends to change with positively glacial speed.... :roll:

jtg3885 said:
If he turns into another Banner (locked up until they need him), I'm gonna be really pissed. And burn a Millar effigy in my comic shop's parking lot.
And if that happens, I'm going to send you a can of lighter fluid and some matches so you can burn it once for me.

moonmaster said:
I just re read all of Ultimates last night and found yet another (possible) parralel in Vol. 1 #6: Thor says that he's known who he is since he was 13, but only after his nervous breakdown (a few weeks short of his 30th birthday) did he realize his destiny. Wasn't Jesus told he was the son of God around his 13th birthday? And I believe he started preaching Christianity around his early 30s. Can someone comfirm this.
Yes, I can confirm that. One of the earliest examples of Jesus declaring himself the Son of God was during a trip in which his parents noticed he had turned up missing on the journey home. (They were travelling with a crowd of friends and relatives, and thought he was with someone else, apparently.) When they returned to the town they had just left, they found Jesus in the temple, talking to the scribes and religious leaders. Jesus's comment to his parents was something along the line of "I'm going about my Father's business". He was about 12 years old at the time.

Jesus's public ministry began when he was around the age of 30, with the wedding feast in Canan, where he turned water into wine at his mother's behest. He was crucified at the age of 33, if I recall correctly.

~*~*~​

I knew there were a couple of things I was going to add when I had time to think of them. One is about the fact that Thor is locked up in the Triskelion in Banner's former cell. This suggests to me that either Gunnar has pulled some strings to get him put there, or someone else in an authority position believes that Thor may well be the real thing. This would explain the maximum security arrangements, as Thor was a pretty tough customer in Norse mythology even without his hammer.

I'll be interested in seeing if anyone thinks to bring in a telepath to read Thor's mind and determine the truth of the matter. If he's just a man who's stolen supersoldier hardware, he should be susceptible to telepathy at this point. If not, a telepath could blow the whole question wide open. I realize that S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Psy Division was decimated during the Chituri campaign, but wasn't that about a year ago? Telepathy seems to be a fairly standard mutant ability. Even if Fury didn't trust Charles Xavier to give him an honest answer on this question, S.H.I.E.L.D. must have started recruiting more telepaths at this point. Is Karma still around?

Same thought on the location of Mjolnir and the belt at this point. My guess is that Gunnar has them, because A) if the hammer and harness are man-made hardware, he certainly isn't going to want the techies at the Triskelion dismantling them and figuring out how they work, and B) if the hammer and belt are the genuine articles from Norse mythology, it probably won't take said technicians long to figure out that there's no technology involved and that Thor's claim has a certain validity.

And I'll definitely have to go check the title of this issue. I thought it was "The Passion", but I don't have access to it right now.

I really don't think he'll need the tech stuff. I think that somehow his father will save him and get him out (you have to wonder what Odin would be doing right now), and when he's out he won't need the harness anymore and will get a new hammer.

moonmaster said:
I really don't think he'll need the tech stuff. I think that somehow his father will save him and get him out (you have to wonder what Odin would be doing right now), and when he's out he won't need the harness anymore and will get a new hammer.
that would make sense if that happened, but that have only #7-12 left for the book so i don't think we are going to see that anytime soon.

In regards to JC coming back to Earth and people not believing he is the messiah - of course they wouldn't. They didn't believe him the first time, remember? It required him to die horrifically and several hundred years to pass before anything got going.

Seldes Katne said:
I knew there were a couple of things I was going to add when I had time to think of them. One is about the fact that Thor is locked up in the Triskelion in Banner's former cell. This suggests to me that either Gunnar has pulled some strings to get him put there, or someone else in an authority position believes that Thor may well be the real thing. This would explain the maximum security arrangements, as Thor was a pretty tough customer in Norse mythology even without his hammer.

I think the reason he's in the Triskelion, is pretty simple. Firstly, he has stolen super-soldier tech directly related to the Union. The Union, at this time, is currently still a secret, therefore, Thor must be kept under wraps for the time being. As for why he's in the Triskelion and not the Dome: Thor is still presumed, by some, to have been leaking the information about Banner. The leak is still unknown (though Fury's quite happy to move past it... hmm). You couldn't just put Thor in a local prison because he's "normal". He's heavily involved in the current super soldier programmes, and he's the brother of one of the key R&D guys in the Union's work.

Plus, there is a possibility that no one knows Thor is even still alive. Jane may think he's dead, along with most of the world, thinking he was killed in the battle between the Ultimates and the Union since, there were few witness to the actual fight (they were far away after all) and it doesn't seem they're eager to tell everyone, just after the Hulk has been revealed to be a member of the Ultimates, that another member of the Ultimates went insane and tried to kill everyone.

And, of course, as you say, if Loki wanted to keep an eye on him so he could torment him, a word here or there and the traitor could probably pull enough strings to set it up - but I think the above are reason enough.

Seldes Katne said:
I'll be interested in seeing if anyone thinks to bring in a telepath to read Thor's mind and determine the truth of the matter. If he's just a man who's stolen supersoldier hardware, he should be susceptible to telepathy at this point. If not, a telepath could blow the whole question wide open.

Since Thor believes he is the Son of Asgard, it's possible that a telepath may not be able to say he's lying, because, he doesn't believe he is. (That said, I'm sure Xavier could tell the difference, and probably so too could a trained teep.)

But the main point is, why bother? The Ultimates are convinced he's not a God. They were confused before because he was so powerful, and no one knew what he was. Now they've been told he's a guy whole stole a super-soldier suit, and that, as soon as they removed the suit's power source (the belt) he stopped having any powers - to them it's obvious he's a fake. From there point of view, there's just no point in bringing in the teep - they never believed he was a God, and now they've proof he's not.

Seldes Katne said:
Same thought on the location of Mjolnir and the belt at this point. My guess is that Gunnar has them, because A) if the hammer and harness are man-made hardware, he certainly isn't going to want the techies at the Triskelion dismantling them and figuring out how they work, and B) if the hammer and belt are the genuine articles from Norse mythology, it probably won't take said technicians long to figure out that there's no technology involved and that Thor's claim has a certain validity.

I think Loki or the Union has the artifacts, but we'll see what his plans are.

Thing is, I'm convinced we won't see Odin or any Asgardian. I think that Iron Man will finally see what SHIELD's up to, along with the traitor and all this, and he'll think, Thor may be a loon, but he was right. He was the team's conscience, and they needed him. He'll get the hammer and belt, and break Thor out. If he himself doesn't do it, he'll convince Cap to. I'm sure one of those two is going to free Thor, and if Thor is believed dead (and Valkyrie will let us know if this is the case), we could see Thor's "Third Coming".

Bass said:
In regards to JC coming back to Earth and people not believing he is the messiah - of course they wouldn't. They didn't believe him the first time, remember? It required him to die horrifically and several hundred years to pass before anything got going.

I think the reason he's in the Triskelion, is pretty simple. Firstly, he has stolen super-soldier tech directly related to the Union. The Union, at this time, is currently still a secret, therefore, Thor must be kept under wraps for the time being. As for why he's in the Triskelion and not the Dome: Thor is still presumed, by some, to have been leaking the information about Banner. The leak is still unknown (though Fury's quite happy to move past it... hmm). You couldn't just put Thor in a local prison because he's "normal". He's heavily involved in the current super soldier programmes, and he's the brother of one of the key R&D guys in the Union's work.

Plus, there is a possibility that no one knows Thor is even still alive. Jane may think he's dead, along with most of the world, thinking he was killed in the battle between the Ultimates and the Union since, there were few witness to the actual fight (they were far away after all) and it doesn't seem they're eager to tell everyone, just after the Hulk has been revealed to be a member of the Ultimates, that another member of the Ultimates went insane and tried to kill everyone.

And, of course, as you say, if Loki wanted to keep an eye on him so he could torment him, a word here or there and the traitor could probably pull enough strings to set it up - but I think the above are reason enough.

Since Thor believes he is the Son of Asgard, it's possible that a telepath may not be able to say he's lying, because, he doesn't believe he is. (That said, I'm sure Xavier could tell the difference, and probably so too could a trained teep.)

But the main point is, why bother? The Ultimates are convinced he's not a God. They were confused before because he was so powerful, and no one knew what he was. Now they've been told he's a guy whole stole a super-soldier suit, and that, as soon as they removed the suit's power source (the belt) he stopped having any powers - to them it's obvious he's a fake. From there point of view, there's just no point in bringing in the teep - they never believed he was a God, and now they've proof he's not.

I think Loki or the Union has the artifacts, but we'll see what his plans are.

Thing is, I'm convinced we won't see Odin or any Asgardian. I think that Iron Man will finally see what SHIELD's up to, along with the traitor and all this, and he'll think, Thor may be a loon, but he was right. He was the team's conscience, and they needed him. He'll get the hammer and belt, and break Thor out. If he himself doesn't do it, he'll convince Cap to. I'm sure one of those two is going to free Thor, and if Thor is believed dead (and Valkyrie will let us know if this is the case), we could see Thor's "Third Coming".

that is such a good idea. tony beening the one to break thor out or even cap.
that is just a really cool idea. i would love to see it happen.

Jesus

Some of you guys are a little confused I have noticed. Jesus's first coming was when he came as a man and died on the cross for everyones sins. His second coming is referred to as the rapture, when he takes all his believers to heaven with him. His third coming is after the 7 year tribulation when he comes to set up his kingdom on Earth. Just for your info. :D

moonmaster said:

I thought it was 12 but am not positive. Either way, you're on the right track.

Seldes Katne said:
Compound's got a good point there -- if Jesus showed up today, a lot of his professed followers wouldn't believe it was him.

As an aside, many more fundamental sects of Christianity believe that the rapture will occur when Christ appears, so there won't be much of a chance for disbelief.

Seldes Katne said:

Hadn't thought about that - great catch.

not sure it has been mentioned, but...

when loki visits thor in the prison cell, he says something like 'i can shuffle reality as easily as you can take a walk in the park'. if loki and thor are real (i.e. not just mere humans) does this mean that thor can just glide into another dimension and easily leave his cell? remember he was doing that before, when he transported the bomb into another dimension, and also when he came to SHIELD once and said he had just been fighting with his half-brother - this too an occurence in another dimension (whatever that means). his belt may not be needed for that at all.

of course, if thor is just hallucinating, then all of this is inconsequential.

what is it to be?

round and round in cirles...

Latari'sFighter said:
Some of you guys are a little confused I have noticed. Jesus's first coming was when he came as a man and died on the cross for everyones sins. His second coming is referred to as the rapture, when he takes all his believers to heaven with him. His third coming is after the 7 year tribulation when he comes to set up his kingdom on Earth. Just for your info. :D

I was referring to Thor's 'third coming' since his first appearance over Scandavia hundreds of years ago would be the first coming, his return in the Ultimates would be the second, and if he is to return in GTA, that would be his third coming. :)

Nurhachi said:
So you guys are really saying that Thor is Ultimate Jesus with a magic belt?

No, but if you look at Jesus purely as a story's protagonist, he becomes part of a specific genre. Hitllar simply took the structure of Jesus' story and applied some of it as parallels to Thor's storyline. Thor has parallels to Jesus but is not meant to be Jesus.

Then Thor turned backe, and looked upon Stark, and Stark remembered the word of Thor, how he had said unto him, Before the cocke crowe, thou shalt denie me thrice.

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
Then Thor turned backe, and looked upon Stark, and Stark remembered the word of Thor, how he had said unto him, Before the cocke crowe, thou shalt denie me thrice.

Oooh...that's good. :D

Nurhachi said:
So you guys are really saying that Thor is Ultimate Jesus with a magic belt?
No, Mark Millar already wrote Ultimate Jesus. It's called Chosen. :crazy: :lol:

Solaris said:
...if loki and thor are real (i.e. not just mere humans) does this mean that thor can just glide into another dimension and easily leave his cell? remember he was doing that before, when he transported the bomb into another dimension, and also when he came to SHIELD once and said he had just been fighting with his half-brother - this too an occurence in another dimension (whatever that means). his belt may not be needed for that at all.

of course, if thor is just hallucinating, then all of this is inconsequential.

what is it to be?
Wow, hadn't thought of that. But whether or not Thor is hallucinating all this stuff, whether his transdimensional powers come from Mjolnir or not also has to be established before we can figure out that possibility of being able to free himself.

But if Millar decides to take the Jesus thing a lot further, Thor probably wouldn't try to escape even if he could, simply because a more accurate Jesus figure would sooner surrender to his enemies than cause undue disorder.

Looking at it in a slightly different direction, this time is Thor's "three days" dead.

Latest posts

Back