Ultimates V2 #10 Discussion (SPOILERS)

thee great one said:
Fool. That was my idea for my first post here.

That's why no one respects you.

And you suck.

UltimateE said:
Chaos Magic.

Ultimates Disassembled.

New Ultimates, coming this fall.
I could see that happening in the hands of a worse writer, but Millar is original enough to find his own terrible idea.

Eh. I've really lost interest in this title. The last two issues have just been so conventional. :(

ShadowPrime said:
NO THOUGHT BALLOONS.
Did everybody else notice this was going on? I'm not sure if this is real or not, I have to go home and check, but I never noticed they didn't have thought balloons. Maybe I'm the only person who reads this that didn't notice. Am I? Anyway, if this is the case, bravo. It doesn't really matter to me. I've read plenty of great comics with thought bubbles. So it's in the air.

Bass said:
And no sound effects, if I recall correctly.
What?!! No way. I know there are sound affects. I actually am a big supporter of comic sound effects. I love them actually.

Synch said:
What?!! No way. I know there are sound affects. I actually am a big supporter of comic sound effects. I love them actually.

Ugh. That's so 90's X-men. :sick:

Re: Buzzcope previews Ultimates 2 #10.

Now that #10 is out, I have an idiot question: what is Spider-Man up to during the events of #9 and #10?

Pardon me for being a newbie and all, but it seems to me like there's rather less coordination/continuity maintenance amongst the Ultimate titles than one would hope for. While the Peter/Kitty romance has been cross-listed, true, you'd think an INVASION would interrupt the date night going on in UXM 66-67? Oh, and how can Nick Fury & Tony Stark be monitoring Spider-Man's actions in USM #89-90 if they're fighting for their lives?

I'm not complaining, just trying to understand how all the Ultimate universe pieces fit together, story-wise and time-wise. Given that they started from scratch, I hoped that the Ultimate editors would keep a tight rein on everything, given the few titles they have.

Your thoughts?

Yes.

Sound effects are relegated to the 1990s X-Men comics only.

I'm glad Vic Von Doom is going over to your place in Lapeer to shoot you.

But then, you live in America. The odds of you being shot are around the same as you becoming obese, which oddly enough is the same as a person in Britain becoming drunk and pregnant at the same time.

Which is astoundingly high, let me assure you.

The thought balloon thing really came to mind when, after reading this last issue, I was considering what made ULTIMATES special, for me (hey, we all have our own likes and dislikes, I understand!). It was then that the thought-balloon thing really hit home... I think I was aware of it before, but hadn't really directly considered how it influences my enjoyment of the series.

It has been well-discussed that there is a 'cinematic' quality to ULTIMATES, and again, I think this is part of it. The only way we can judge what characters "think" is by what they say, what they do... and how they LOOK (another reason the change in artists will almost inevitably change the feel of the book). I can think of a number of cases where the "no thought balloon" thing was a major factor. For example... recall the scene where Pym is speculating that the troubles the team is experiencing are related to a desire to replace the quirky "first" members with more compliant military types? The "camera" cuts to Fury... who is saying nothing. Just...watching. Hmmm. Or in this last issue... the scene where Pym assures "The Liberators" that the Ultrons will "keep the peace"... something about that shot, about his facial expression, is ...interesting. But we don't KNOW what he is thinking. Putting us "outside" the characters influences the style of writing, influences how we perceive the story, and, I think, allows for ambiguity and depth (sometimes, perhaps, projected to a greater degree than might be warranted! :D ) than would otherwise be the case.

The "no sound effects" thing is also an element, for sure... not that I have anything against a good "ZZZZRAMMMMMMMMMM", "THWIPPPPP" or "SNIKT" in the right circumstances...*S*

Shadow

Bass said:
I'm glad Vic Von Doom is going over to your place in Lapeer to shoot you.

Meh.....it's what I do.... :?

Bass said:
same as a person in Britain becoming drunk and pregnant at the same time.

Which is astoundingly high, let me assure you.

Speaking from experience? Did that last abortion take its toll on your mental state?

Hey Pistachio. The answer is that they aren't happening at the same time. DIrishB spent a whole lot of time coming up with a very extensive timeline for the Ultimate universe. I suggest you check it out, I think it'll answer all your questions. It's in the Ultimate Universe section.

Last edited:

Hello, Pistachio. Welcome to Ultimate Central! :D

A few other members have talked briefly about the idea of having other UMarvel characters' reactions to the invasion. Some of them may reply here, but if you're interested, some of their posts can be found in the discussion thread for Ultimates2 #9. Look particularly for posts # 79, 126, 167, 177, and 327, although some of them have discussion following them that aren't included in the links below. (If you click on the thread name found in the upper right hand corner of the post box, it will take you right to that section of the thread, however.)

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139847&postcount=79 (and several posts following)

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139998&postcount=126 (and several posts following)

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140157&postcount=167

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140263&postcount=177

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142240&postcount=327

Also, here's the Ultimate Marvel Universe Timeline that McCheese mentioned.

Bass said:
Yes.

Sound effects are relegated to the 1990s X-Men comics only.

I replied to the wrong post above. I said sound effects are so 90's X-Men - I meant thought balloons. I don't really have a problem with sound effects. Thought balloons are an abomination.

A good comic like Watchmen or Ultimates doesn't need thought balloons. If the writer and artist are good, they can convey what the character is thinking without words if words aren't warranted. Anything else should be left alone to develop during the course of the story.

Maybe it's just my distaste for silver-age comics showing, but when I read a character thinking "Yikes! I'd better jump to avoid these rockets!" it ruins the panel. What an absurd thing to put in a comic. It sounds ridiculous and insults the reader's intelligence.

ShadowPrime - well said.

how can the ultimates possibily fight off tens of thousands of foot solidgers you ask? Answer: how did the ultimates fight off an entire chitaurai invasion force?

I also heard that Loki was called by another name other than Loki what other name was he called?

a fan said:
how can the ultimates possibily fight off tens of thousands of foot solidgers you ask? Answer: how did the ultimates fight off an entire chitaurai invasion force?

EXACTLY. It's not impossible.

Hulk might be out of the picture, but Thor isn't.

UltimateE said:
EXACTLY. It's not impossible.

Hulk might be out of the picture, but Thor isn't.
And the Ultimates are a tad bit angry right now. Remember, Cap is a tactical genius and Thor is one of the most powerful superhumans on earth (once he gets his powers back). I really can't wait to see what Tony Stark's planning.

Pistachio said:
Pardon me for being a newbie and all, but it seems to me like there's rather less coordination/continuity maintenance amongst the Ultimate titles than one would hope for. While the Peter/Kitty romance has been cross-listed, true, you'd think an INVASION would interrupt the date night going on in UXM 66-67? Oh, and how can Nick Fury & Tony Stark be monitoring Spider-Man's actions in USM #89-90 if they're fighting for their lives?

Interrupt date night? And USM?!

As someone said, Ultimates Vol. 2 is way ahead of the other titles in the timeline. Almost a year or something. But even if it wasn't, even if it happened roughly at the same time, you can't possibly expect what happens in one arc to interrup what happens in another arc of another title. This isn't 4 title running in real time in paralel!

Concerning the X-Men and FF, it's been mentionned that they have been contained in some way. Whether this eventually shows up in their title somewhere down the line remains to be seen but I wouldn't hold my breath. It would have to occur in several issues down the line, about a good year later for us readers and by then it would probably be pointless to do more than refer to these events when character from various titles crossover (like they did in UXM magnetic North).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back