Universe X Discussion *Spoilers*

Hmm, I'm thinking that Kyle's eyes are explained very briefly in Earth X. The Watcher mentions something about it while talking to Reed and X-51. So if you wanna go back and look...

E said:
I just got that - I had never heard of the Gargoyle.

I know that he was given the special eyes by Mephisto - is it something more than that?

ETA I just finished chapter 2 (or 3; I don't remember)

I didn't know who Gargoyle was either.

The eyes are fully explained later on. There is more to it than "Mephisto gave me these eyes". You'll see.

It's possible that you're confusing mystery with ignorance. You might think you're not getting something when in fact it's a mystery waiting to be revealed.

Bass said:
I didn't know who Gargoyle was either.

The eyes are fully explained later on. There is more to it than "Mephisto gave me these eyes". You'll see.

It's possible that you're confusing mystery with ignorance. You might think you're not getting something when in fact it's a mystery waiting to be revealed.

OK - that I can handle. :D

So, I just reread #0 and... ****ing wow.

I forgot how good this stuff was.

I also loved a parallel I'd not noticed before - the first page is Gargoyle hoping that Reed will cure him so he can be normal again.

Is this not what Thing wanted? It's a great parallel.

But as soon as I saw that, and turned the page, we have a figure telling Gargoyle, "No." This figure, who sees the future is Nighthawk but looks a whole lot like death.

Because, who of all things, would be the teller of the inescapable future? Death. Because he is that inescapable future.

It's a wonderful use of symbolism, both universal and personal the the Marvel universe.

That's just the first two pages. Then we get two entire epic stories - The Eternals and the Kree/Skrull war, as well as primers to the Universe X world. Superb.

Plus, knowing where it all goes, I forgot how much is set up in the opening issues.

****ing wow.

Bass said:
I'm reading the story, so my next issue is "4" then it'll be #1. So, any questions?

So far so good. I just read through the Universe X: Spidey issue where May wakes Peter up out of his illusion. Great writing. The TPB is arranged chronologically so the Spidey issue falls between two "regular" chapters - I don't have it in front of me and don't know what those are.

The next part starts off talking about Ragnok and the origin of the Norse gods - that's where I am.

Cool. I have my issues organised in the order they were released because I'm amazing and keeping it real.

Bass said:
So, I just reread #0 and... ****ing wow.

I forgot how good this stuff was.

I also loved a parallel I'd not noticed before - the first page is Gargoyle hoping that Reed will cure him so he can be normal again.

Is this not what Thing wanted? It's a great parallel.

But as soon as I saw that, and turned the page, we have a figure telling Gargoyle, "No." This figure, who sees the future is Nighthawk but looks a whole lot like death.

Because, who of all things, would be the teller of the inescapable future? Death. Because he is that inescapable future.

It's a wonderful use of symbolism, both universal and personal the the Marvel universe.

That's just the first two pages. Then we get two entire epic stories - The Eternals and the Kree/Skrull war, as well as primers to the Universe X world. Superb.

Plus, knowing where it all goes, I forgot how much is set up in the opening issues.

****ing wow.

The X trilogy actually made me want to read 616.

Then I realised that the X trilogy was only a throwaway future.

That's when I decided that 616 sucked. Because it wouldn't lead to to the X trilogy. Damn shame, too.

Ultimate Warrior said:
It is revealed who Daredevil is in the Paradise X issue Devils.

Argh. I bet that's in the second volume of Paradise X (which I don't have).

I finished Vol. 1 today.

Wow.

I am in awe of how complex and deep this story is. I have never seen anything like it.

Finally an explanation of why Kyle was given the eyes by Mephisto - brilliant.

LOVED the explanation behind Galen becoming Galactus.

The only thing that really confuses me is the nature of the war in the realm of the dead. It seemed like they were at war in syncronization with the war in the "regular" world, but I'm not sure if that's the case and if it is, why. Is it because the dead will rejoin the living if Mar-Vell can defeat death?

Also, the way Sue was brought back was awesome. Seriously. I can't wait to see if it's true what was suggested - that she's alive only because Reed believes her to be. Man, that would be so cool if that's true (don't spoil me on that yet).

This is going to take multiple read-thrus to get everything. There is just so much to take in.

*does happy dance*

Didn't I tell ya?

AND THERE'S MORE!

A lot more in, and in Paradise X too. Can't wait for you to read it.

Glad you liked it.

Also, upon my re-reading of the title, lots more things I've begun noticing I didn't notice before. Lots more. The trilogy rocks.

E said:
The only thing that really confuses me is the nature of the war in the realm of the dead. It seemed like they were at war in syncronization with the war in the "regular" world, but I'm not sure if that's the case and if it is, why. Is it because the dead will rejoin the living if Mar-Vell can defeat death?

This question confuses me. I'm not sure what you're asking. Any issue you can point to in particular so I can take a look?

Last edited:
Bass said:
This question confuses me. I'm not sure what you're asking. Any issue you can point to in particular so I can take a look?

Hoo boy - i'm going to have to dig to find it. Maybe I just misunderstood and they aren't really fighting together. But if not, why are the "heroes" fighting in the realm of the dead?

People are fighting in the realm of the dead because they're dead. It's a perpetual eternity. You learn more about the Realm as it goes on.

Also, Mar-Vell is in both the dead realms and the living, and coordinating his efforts on both planes, therefore, those in the realm of the dead who know they're dead are working towards the same goals, thus fighting similar fights, as those alive, because Mar-Vell is in charge of both.

Does that answer your question?

If it doesn't... ah... a wizard did it.

WIZARD!​

I'm rereading Earth X again. Hopefully I'll make it the whole way through Universe X and Paradise X too.

That is all.

X-51 is the name of a sentient man-shaped robot in the fifth episode of the short-lived SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED cartoon from the late '90s. Connection? Other than being Machine Man, I mean. Marvel hadn't published one of his books since the eighties and not again until Nextwave. They took a decade. Between Earth X and this cartoon, was Marvel planning a revival that never got off the ground?

Here's his Biblio.

See what I mean?

* 001: A Space Odyssey #8-10 (1978.)
* Machine Man Volume 1 #1-19 (1978-1981)
* Machine Man Volume 2 #1-4 (1985, reprinted as Machine Man 2020 in 1994)
* Cable/Machine Man '98 #1 (1998 annual)
* Machine Man/Bastion '98 #1 (1998 annual)
* X-51 #0-12 (1999-2000)

Bass said:
Also, Mar-Vell is in both the dead realms and the living, and coordinating his efforts on both planes, therefore, those in the realm of the dead who know they're dead are working towards the same goals, thus fighting similar fights, as those alive, because Mar-Vell is in charge of both.

Does that answer your question?

Yes.

I hate Universe X.

I just starting reading it to keep up with E to make sure I could help him should he be confused... and I've spent the last three days reading it. I just finished it.

CURSE YOU UNIVERSE X!

Also, one part of the story confuses me still. I still don't get it.

So...
Who is the figure in ice that Belasco sees? It's not Kurt Wagner, even as a human because he's got two arms. It's not Arcturus Rann, as I thought it might be. I thought it might be the original Belasco that was supposed to be freed instead of Kurt, but the person looks familiar. I don't know who it is. The fact that they have a sword makes me think it might be Wayfinder or one of the Subatomica, but it doesn't look like any of them. Who is it? Anyone worked it out? If you know, be sure to put the answer in spoiler tags!

And where are up to now, E?

I'm up to the Spiders special. This is pretty boring.

Latest posts

Back