UXM #58 Syndicate Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
So who picked up? I thought it was pretty good... some interesting tidbits...

The X-Men were busy fighting WARLOCK! Nice...

Syndacite is now working for Xavier as sort of a black-ops to stop The Hellfire Club from going after Xavier's money. Yeah, I said that right, The remaining members of the Hellfire Club are trying to take Xavier's funds... so they're still in the picture and that means big things for Jean Grey.

So the issue introduced Syndicate, who was all in all pretty cool and showed just how good of a leader Prof. X can be.

It was a very good standalone issue IMO.

Its interesting that he's going to hang around. I sort of assumed he was going to be a throwaway character.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well Vaughan does love his own original characters... so...
Sounds like he may be resurrecting the Xavier isn't a perfect guy idea. which is a good thing in my opinion

You used the words "Black ops." Black ops is, by definition, the stuff you can't do openly because its not nice.

TheManWithoutFear said:
True but the Hellfire Club isn't good. Xavier is just making sure Syndicate keeps their nose clean and puts them to good use at the same time.
Ahhh ok. Still, I wouldn't mind if that came back.

He threatened to make Syndicate's sister commit suicide unless they did what he wanted. I think that qualifies for the "not so nice Xavier" thing more than Syndicate being his black ops men.

jtg3885 said:
He threatened to make Syndicate's sister commit suicide unless they did what he wanted. I think that qualifies for the "not so nice Xavier" thing more than Syndicate being his black ops men.

He was bluffing. Syndicate was obviously going to take extreme measures so Xavier talked to him/them in a way they could understand.

Caduceus said:
What exactly where his powers, if any?

I think because it was two beings sharing the same brain it was impossible for Xavier to control him. Also his heartbeat sent out an electric magnetic pulse that took out all alarms and anything run by electricity.

EDIT: he had an extra arm on his left side too.

I really liked this issue. It was cool to see the X-Men fighting Warlock. Professor X was characterized very well in this issue IMO. I'm sure Syndicate will be showing up again before Vaughn's run ends in #65, as he's doing the undercover work to take down Hellfire Club. I have a feeling they're going to play a part in the Magneto Escapes arc coming up.

DIrishB said:
I really liked this issue. It was cool to see the X-Men fighting Warlock. Professor X was characterized very well in this issue IMO. I'm sure Syndicate will be showing up again before Vaughn's run ends in #65, as he's doing the undercover work to take down Hellfire Club. I have a feeling they're going to play a part in the Magneto Escapes arc coming up.

In 616 wasn't Magneto leader of Hellfire at one point... Hellfire and Brotherhood teaming up would just be a ginormous awesome chaotic disaster for the Ultimate Universe.

TheManWithoutFear said:
In 616 wasn't Magneto leader of Hellfire at one point... Hellfire and Brotherhood teaming up would just be a ginormous awesome chaotic disaster for the Ultimate Universe.
Yes, he was once a part of the inner circle. Or he was trying to get into it.

GREAT issue!

I was a little apprehensive because of a) the all-new villain and b) it being a standalone issue, but Vaughan did not disappoint.

This is clearly a much darker Professor than I thought before. I knew he was a little more edgy than 616 but it really surprised me in this issue.

Even though Syndicate is an original character. I see some striking similarities between them and Sage.

-not able to enter mind (true Xavier could still read the thoughts, but still...)
-undercover agent for Xavier
-Hellfire Club

Irish_4204 said:
Even though Syndicate is an original character. I see some striking similarities between them and Sage.

-not able to enter mind (true Xavier could still read the thoughts, but still...)
-undercover agent for Xavier
-Hellfire Club

I have never said this before but...

I seriously think you're looking too much into it...

So I bought this one. Other than Ultimate Iron man it's the only singel issue that I've picked up. It was pretty good. I liked Syndicate's mix of natural and comicdom mutations. And Xavier recruiting him at the end was certainly a step in the right direction. I agree that this is the not-so-saintly Xavier, but as opposed to everyone else I didn't think he ever left. Ultimate Charles is much more ruthless than any of the characters seem to think.

And Douglock. Booyeah!

And are you all happy now? The Hellfire club is back. Sorta.

Latest posts

Back