Vertigo General Dicussion Thread

Re: General Vertigo Thread

I just recently starting picking up Northlanders, Vinyl Underground and Young Liars and I've not yet thought about dropping them. I'm in common consensus with VVD, even if you don't like a Vertigo title just the imprint tells you that its great comics for whoever it is geared toward.

Out of the three new ones, I'm enjoying Vinyl Underground the most which I figured out relies on the trade paperback aspect of comics very heavinly since it's impossible to follow with a month long lapse in chapters.

As well, everyone should be giving the Grpahic novels a try, "Incognegro" is great just for the title alone and "Cairo" was crazy fun.

"Cairo" was crazy fun.
thee great one said:
Cairo was a great story.
Has anybody else (who isn't currently banned) read Cairo? If so, please do share what you liked (or didn't like) about it. It's definitely on my to-buy list, for the next few months.

Ultxon said:
Out of the three new ones, I'm enjoying Vinyl Underground the most which I figured out relies on the trade paperback aspect of comics very heavinly since it's impossible to follow with a month long lapse in chapters.
Really? I *sorta* get what you mean, in the sense that each issue builds on clues, facts, or information established in the previous chapter (e.g.
the victim's head, the khat operation, the white drug mules
), which you might not necessarily call, 30 days later.

Part of this is because Vinyl Underground's appeal is built largely on clever stock characters, and the interplay between them. That's really what gives the title its hook, and makes it memorable. So the details of the plot feel a bit secondary, when you read them in single issues (like I do).

The way I see it is this: Vinyl Underground does for detective stories and ensemble police procedural what The Invisibles did for superheroes; it takes relatively familiar genre tropes and inserts a colorful, subcultural cast of outcasts, losers, and misfits into the main roles, then gives it all a quasi-occult twist to attract Vertigo's traditional readership.

Some might call that formulaic, and they'll have a point. But it appeals to me. And if that seems like it might be your kind of thing, as well, do give Vinyl Underground a chance. The first TPB collection ships in May.

Last edited:
Re: American Virgin

I liked American Virgin, from what little I've read.
How much of it have you read?

I get it in TPBs, and i've read up to the end of Wet (Vol. 3).

I understand that #24 is the final issue, and i'm a little bummed out about that. I have no idea what the "69" arc (Vol. 5) is about, and I know that the stand-alone finale, "Climax", is supposed to tie everything up. But I'm not convinced that that all pressing questions will be answered.

I know (from reading the Wikipedia entry for the series) that Around The World (Vol. 4) will document
Adam and Vanessa's getaway
, but really, that seems like a topical/thematic diversion, to further Adam's internal turmoil, and to
(possibly) resolve Cassie's role as his "spirit guide"
. But there are still too many plot threads that need to be wrapped up:

whether the Batu Balan will attempt revenge for killing their operatives

Cyndi and Mel's relationship

Adam's search for his Dad
; this is where I expected the series to go, after reading Wet, so I was a little taken aback when I read the description of Vol. 4 in Wikipedia. I don't think it's *necessary* for Adam to find peace with his situation. Nor do I particularly regard it as a strong direction for the narrative. But am I the only person who thought it seemed like the next logical step in the overall storyline?

Also, I'm curious what everybody else thinks: are the visions of Cassie all in Adam's head? Or do you actually think (writer) Steven Seagle intends there to be something supernatural/spiritual going on?

I don't believe that's something that *should* be answered, outright, but I'm curious to get everyone else's opinion about it.

What is Cairo about?

Also right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of Scalped, DMZ and 100 Bullets.

I gotta say, each one of these are a trip. Dashell Badhorse has got to be the character of the year or something. I'm still waiting to see what he does with those nunchucks.

I only read the first 100 bullets TPB, and I liked it, but I felt like it was just going to turn into a continuous strain of one-shots, which is enjoyable if written well. Does the book end up tying together well - do characters meet up, do we actually get any idea of what's really going on?

I'm sure it all does come together nicely, but since the first TPB left me uncertain, I wasn't sure if investing in ten, twelve of them was worth finding out if the overall story was good or not...

Otherwise, VERTIGO is gold. I only read their titles now - some Oni and Image, too. I just felt so let down by superheroes, DC, and especially Marvel that VERTIGO is all that does it for me anymore. Which is nice, since I'm an English major and I can read them and relate a lot of what I'm learning to the graphic novels, because they really are just that - novels.

I only read the first 100 bullets TPB, and I liked it, but I felt like it was just going to turn into a continuous strain of one-shots, which is enjoyable if written well. Does the book end up tying together well - do characters meet up, do we actually get any idea of what's really going on?

I'm sure it all does come together nicely, but since the first TPB left me uncertain, I wasn't sure if investing in ten, twelve of them was worth finding out if the overall story was good or not...

Otherwise, VERTIGO is gold. I only read their titles now - some Oni and Image, too. I just felt so let down by superheroes, DC, and especially Marvel that VERTIGO is all that does it for me anymore. Which is nice, since I'm an English major and I can read them and relate a lot of what I'm learning to the graphic novels, because they really are just that - novels.

The second and third tpb's are pretty similar to the first one. It's mostly recruiting and yes, some of the character end up meeting each other. That's as far as I've gotten though, but it does seem like there is a "bigger picture" at hand than anyone is comprehending in the book.

I'm reading the second 100 Bullets trade now. I had the first three since about 2000-2001, but haven't read them since and never read further. It's a good series, but Azzarello's dialogue sucks pretty bad.

It does tie together.

I read the second volume ciompound, so I didn't highlight any of what you have spoiled up there.

I think the visions of Cassie are in his head, representing his sexual urges.

I didn't like 100 Bullets...

But yeah, in general, I want Vertigo to step it up again... I want to see them do more with the "Vertigo Universe".

It sucks that with the end of Lucifer and Books of Magic, the only real VU stories are being told in Hellblazer and the horrible new Swamp Thing series.

Although I still consider "Ex Machina" to be a Vertigo book. It is too good to be Wildstorm, now that Wildstorm sucks so much ***.

I want to see them do more with the "Vertigo Universe".
I kinda disagree. I feel that the original "Vertigo Universe" titles appealed to a specific kind of audience, with more 'literary' tastes, for lack of a better word. And there still are titles that maintain the same kind of surreal sensibility -- the Fables books being the most obvious example -- without being tied down to the original universe.

The "VU", as it was, had run its course, and was kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel, by the time that mini-series like Witches came along.

Now that Vertigo has more or less successfully rebranded itself as the "HBO of Comics", with stuff like DMZ, Scalped, Y the Last Man, etc., I guess it's safe enough to start exploring the same themes that brought its initial success.

But I think the "universe" itself can stand to take a break for another year or so, just to build up anticipation for more stories within that particular continuity.

If there *is* one character who could stand to be rebooted, it's gotta be Tim Hunter. Especially now that the saga of that other, more popular boy wizard has come to an end.

Although I still consider "Ex Machina" to be a Vertigo book. It is too good to be Wildstorm, now that Wildstorm sucks so much ***.
Wildstorm only sucks *** to the extent that the Wildstorm Universe was a total bust.

Ex Machina isn't a Wildstorm book the same way those books are. It's a Signature book, which is admittedly where Wildstorm has a better batting average. Case in point: Desolation Jones, which is Ellis' most thoughtfully produced book right now. If only it actually had a release schedule.

Ex Machina isn't a Wildstorm book the same way those books are. It's a Signature book, which is admittedly where Wildstorm has a better batting average. Case in point: Desolation Jones, which is Ellis' most thoughtfully produced book right now. If only it actually had a release schedule.
Basically...

Wildstorm Universe : Wildstorm Signature :: Marvel 616 : Icon

That's how I see it.

The Wildstorm Signature stuff is comparable to Vertigo, both in terms of the creators having ownership over their product, but also thematically (which is not surprising, considering that it's often the same folks involved, anyway).

Basically...

Wildstorm Universe : Wildstorm Signature :: Marvel 616 : Icon

That's how I see it.

The Wildstorm Signature stuff is comparable to Vertigo, both in terms of the creators having ownership over their product, but also thematically (which is not surprising, considering that it's often the same folks involved, anyway).

This is true.

Desolation Jones and Ex Machina are both awesome.

Young Liars by David Lapham

I am kinda in love with this book, even though there's only been 2 issues.

Or maybe I'm just in love with the enigmatic Sadie Dawkins? She is the whirlwind kinda gal I go for.

Either way I'm wondering how this series is gonna be set up. So far we've only got 2 issues and both seem to center around Sadie. Perhaps the issues will be random recollections of various people who've run into/had their lives changed by knowing Sadie?

I thought Vertigo creators DON'T have ownership over their creations as far as the older works are concerned, and with later works they have a limited ownership.

That's what I remember, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

Wildstorm only sucks *** to the extent that the Wildstorm Universe was a total bust.

I'll kill whoever Ellis wants if it means Desolation Jones starts coming out monthly.

After a riotous round of applause, Berger gave the floor to Grant Morrison to discuss the return of Seaguy, teasing that he has a better accent. Morrison greeted everyone with a rowdy, American-tinged "Hello, everybody," a far cry from his soft, Scottish voice. Describing the first Seaguy series as being about childhood, Morrison told the audience that the new series will be metaphors for the teenage years and adulthood. Talking a mile a minute, and gesturing frantically all the way, he described probably a dozen events from the book, and then said that they were only from the first half. In the second series, subtitled Mickey Blue Eyes, Seaguy is restless and gets a "seedy new little companion, evil little parrot" who watches over him. After getting into more trouble, Seaguy decides world doesn't work how he thinks is does and is relocated, by outsiders, to Spain and given a new identity. Because of mad cow disease, cows are protected species and Seaguy is trained as a matador, who now all buy sexy clothes and attempt to get the cows into high heels. The series explains how Seaguy deals with this, and then his attempt to get back to his old life. Morrison also introduces Pablo the 100-year-old beekeeper, who talks a bee, bzzz bzzz. Only after Seaguy tapes him talking and speeds the tape up, he hears, "I'm warning you, Seaguy, you've got to get out of there." "Beyond that I'll tell you no more," Morrison concluded. The next miniseries will be titled Seaguy: Mickey Blue Eyes, and the third and final series Seaguy Eternal.

After Berger asked about other projects Morrison is working on at Vertigo, Morrison launched into an impromptu talk about two more unannounced projects.

War Cop deals with what Morrison sees as the fetishization of the soldier, and video games teaching you to kill. He explained that he feels sorry for guys being "sent to die" and relates soldiers, in some ways, to the emo guy who cuts himself, as an expression the culture's dark side. A sci-fi book set five years in future, it will tell of soldier back from a war who wants to keep fighting a war. It then evolves into kids vs. adults for soul of the country.

Also announced by Morrison, to the apparently surprise of the panelists, suggesting that it won't be seen soon, was Me and Atomika, a satire about a 15-year-old girl, Atomika Bohm, who kid falls in love with her teacher, who turns out be like a villain "from Dr. No or something." Morrison concluded that it will explore what it would be like to be 15 and have James Bond trying to kill you.

I presume one of the latter two will be by JH Williams III since we know they're doing an original Vertigo project together.

Latest posts

Back