Vertigo General Dicussion Thread

Sounds like Morrison's Vertigo projects have been changed around...

Grant Morrison said:
That'll be followed by an eight-issue series that's a new take on the "world in a wardrobe" fantasy story, drawn by Sean Murphy, who's the Next Big Thing in comics, they say. Then there's The New Bible, the final title for the project I'm doing with Camilla D'Errico. And I've been talking on the phone to Rian Hughes about doing a "graphic novel" -- a proper coffee table one -- together.

The Unwritten is a damn good comic.

I picked up the first two issues and it is very cool. I love the premise.

So guys. I've never read any Vertigo and the only Wildstorm I've ever read is the Authority (which I thought was an amazing book) What do you guys suggest. I tend to be into more character based stories so I hear Y the Last Man or Fables would be great, and I'm also into great DC based continuity stories so I really want to read Sandman. What do you guys think besides those main three I should read. Mind my favorite books are any Geoff Johns, Mark Millar, Warren Ellis, and Grant Morrison so those are the types of authors I'm drawn to.

Last edited:
So guys. I've never read any Vertigo and the only Wildstorm I've ever read is the Authority (which I thought was an amazing book) What do you guys suggest. I tend to be into more character based stories so I hear Y the Last Man or Fables would be great, and I'm also into great DC based continuity stories so I really want to read Sandman. What do you guys think besides those main three I should read. Mind my favorite books are any Geoff Johns, Mark Millar, Warren Ellis, and Grant Morrison so those are the types of authors I'm drawn to.

Y The Last Man and Fables are two of my favourite comics. You can't go wrong with either one.

Since you like Ellis and Morrison, you may also like their Vertigo works - Ellis's Transmetropolitan and Morrison's Doom Patrol, Animal Man and The Invisibles. We3 is a must. If you want more, then go try out Seaguy and Vimanarama.

Ex Machina is another comic I would recommend - it's a Wildstorm title but it is entirely separated from everything else and is basically a Vertigo title - and it's also by Brian K. Vaughan. I would also suggest Planetary - a Wildstorm comic that is basically about exploring the history of pop culture. It's by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday and is a great companion to The Authority. There are three TPBs out at the moment (with a fourth collecting a few crossovers) and the series ends this year (finally!) with #27.

Last edited:
Y The Last Man and Fables are two of my favourite comics. You can't go wrong with either one.

Since you like Ellis and Morrison, you may also like their Vertigo works - Ellis's Transmetropolitan and Morrison's Doom Patrol, Animal Man and The Invisibles. We3 is a must. If you want more, then go try out Seaguy and Vimanarama.

Ex Machina is another comic I would recommend - it's a Wildstorm title but it is entirely separated from everything else and is basically a Vertigo title - and it's also by Brian K. Vaughan. I would also suggest Planetary - a Wildstorm comic that is basically about exploring the history of pop culture. It's by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday and is a great companion to The Authority. There are three TPBs out at the moment (with a fourth collecting a few crossovers) and the series ends this year (finally!) with #27.

Doom Patrol is one I've been really interested in because my comic shop just got in the Morrison arcs and I've been intriqued by Animal Man forever, I've honestly thought of him as one of DC's best characters. I really want to get into Planetary but my shop has everything but the first arc and I can't get into something without reading the intial arc to get to know it.

I love Vaughn's work (especially X-Men and Runaways) so Ex Machina seems good, and Y. I also must try any of the other Morrison works.

Overall I've grown tired of the regular DC/Marvel superhero stuff and want some more intelligent works.

By my count I'll get informed by Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Y the Last Man, Fables, Sandman and Planetary. Also I plan to read some more Moore like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Promethia (which I just want to read for J.H.) and Umbrella Academy and Hellboy and BRPD. Overall I'm very excided to get out of the main two into Indies.

Oh and thanks for the recommendation Proj. :D

Doom Patrol is one I've been really interested in because my comic shop just got in the Morrison arcs and I've been intriqued by Animal Man forever, I've honestly thought of him as one of DC's best characters. I really want to get into Planetary but my shop has everything but the first arc and I can't get into something without reading the intial arc to get to know it.

I love Vaughn's work (especially X-Men and Runaways) so Ex Machina seems good, and Y. I also must try any of the other Morrison works.

Overall I've grown tired of the regular DC/Marvel superhero stuff and want some more intelligent works.

By my count I'll get informed by Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Y the Last Man, Fables, Sandman and Planetary. Also I plan to read some more Moore like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Promethia (which I just want to read for J.H.) and Umbrella Academy and Hellboy and BRPD. Overall I'm very excided to get out of the main two into Indies.

Oh and thanks for the recommendation Proj. :D

Honestly, everything you've named is a good comic. It's just a matter of diving in and finding out which ones you prefer. There's a lot of great stuff out there and I'm glad more people are going out and checking these things out. It is these comics that show why the comics medium is a credible thing, not whatever random superhero **** is being hyped.

It also reminds me that we need to set up some kind of recommendation thread that's like "if you're tired of this, then try this!"

Last edited:
Vikings and their politics and battles with self contained story arcs.

You also might like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (I haven't read it though).

I've actually read Moore's Swamp thing and it's amazing (like anything else of his I've read).

And Northlanders does seem intriguing now that you give me even that tiny synopsis. Who's the creative team?

Y The Last Man, Fables, Northlanders, Scapled, The Sandman, Lucifer, and Books Of Magic, Hellblazer (notably Mike Carey's run).

Ex Machina, Planetary, Point Blank & Sleeper.

I've actually read Moore's Swamp thing and it's amazing (like anything else of his I've read).

And Northlanders does seem intriguing now that you give me even that tiny synopsis. Who's the creative team?

I always felt that Alan Moore's Swamp Thing actually forms a loose trilogy with Neil Gaiman's Sandman and Mike Carrey's Lucifer. The first set up a lot of the rules and possibilities for DCs horror/magic subverse, Sandman explored it and set up all the characters for Lucifer, which ended everything.

They need tp get on Absolutes for Swamp Thing and Lucifer...

What is DMZ about?
A second American Civil War between the government and the "Free States" movement has entered an uneasy peace. NYC has become a demilitarized zone in between the two armies. A team of reporters are dropped into the city, but they are attacked and only the intern survives to report on the goings on within the DMZ.

Latest posts

Back