Vertigo General Dicussion Thread

Re: General Vertigo Thread

FINALLY! Somebody else picking up Young Liars.

Or maybe I'm just in love with the enigmatic Sadie Dawkins? She is the whirlwind kinda gal I go for.
Dude, you're so predictable! You'd hit any girl in dire need of therapy. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if your Little Black Book is actually a copy of the patients directory at the local women's psych ward.

Either way I'm wondering how this series is gonna be set up. So far we've only got 2 issues and both seem to center around Sadie. Perhaps the issues will be random recollections of various people who've run into/had their lives changed by knowing Sadie?
It's pretty obvious that
Sadie's gonna die
, at some point in the larger narrative.
I'd honestly be surprised if she lives past the first arc with a bullet lodged in her head.

It's meant to be an ongoing series, yes?

I think it will probably be structured in terms of the various questions/mysteries raised by the first two issues:

Who shot Sadie? Why? What events led up to it? And if/when it leads to her eventual death, how will Dan react?
Who killed all those people close to Dan, back in Texas? Are they connected to the arson at the Brown Bag?

What happens when Sadie's family comes looking for her in New York?

In fact, there's a pretty good chance that all of these various plot threads are somehow connected (most likely through Sadie's family).

Also, Lapham could easily devote a few single issues just exploring the backstories of the various supporting cast: the Drag Queen, the Aging Groupie, etc. They're all unique and quirky (if not exactly sympathetic) enough to carry their own respective subplots.

I don't think the
lost Spanish artwork
(mentioned by the preppy bastard in #1) is just some random anecdote, either. Lapham dedicated several panels just to illustrate its significance; I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a more important story element, in later issues.

Last edited:

FINALLY! Somebody else picking up Young Liars.

Dude, you're so predictable! You'd hit any girl in dire need of therapy.

It's true. I so would. And I've even turned a girl or 2 to therapy. But that's another story for another thread.

It's pretty obvious that
Sadie's gonna die
, at some point in the larger narrative.
I'd honestly be surprised if she lives past the first arc with a bullet lodged in her head.

Hmmmm. While it's obvious that she's gonna die, I think she'll live past the first arc. I'm actually betting on her living at least up the 4th arc.

I imagine they'll treat the bullet in teh brain deal like a dues ex. She's not gonna know whether she has 6 hours or 6 months.

It's meant to be an ongoing series, yes?

I think it will probably be structured in terms of the various questions/mysteries raised by the first two issues:

Who shot Sadie? Why? What events led up to it? And if/when it leads to her eventual death, how will Dan react?
Who killed all those people close to Dan, back in Texas? Are they connected to the arson at the Brown Bag?

What happens when Sadie's family comes looking for her in New York?

In fact, there's a pretty good chance that all of these various plot threads are somehow connected (most likely through Sadie's family).

Also, Lapham could easily devote a few single issues just exploring the backstories of the various supporting cast: the Drag Queen, the Aging Groupie, etc. They're all unique and quirky (if not exactly sympathetic) enough to carry their own respective subplots.

I don't think the
lost Spanish artwork
(mentioned by the preppy bastard in #1) is just some random anecdote, either. Lapham dedicated several panels just to illustrate its significance; I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a more important story element, in later issues.

Agreed on all points. I wish I had my 2 issues in front of me to debate and point out some other finer points.

Have to save that for later.

I just picked up the first two issues of Young Liars mostly to impress the girl behind the desk. I mean, I'd been meaning to pick it up for a while, but just kept forgetting, and that was the impetus I needed I guess.

It's good. The dialog has a killer rhythm, and I really liked the refrain on the lyrics that weaved through issue two, but most of the song was just obtrusive. Sadie's dad kind of came across as a tycoon Hunter S. Thompson with a few screws loose, and I've got to wonder how much of what-drunk Sadie was going on about after the Spoon concert was true, or if she'd maybe just seen Chinatown a few too many times. The hope of pirate treasure and criminal syndicate goons chasing the crew is interesting, but I'm on the fence about how good this will be.

And also, does anyone else feel like every single drag queen in comics is portrayed as exactly the same character?

I just picked up the first two issues of Young Liars mostly to impress the girl behind the desk. I mean, I'd been meaning to pick it up for a while, but just kept forgetting, and that was the impetus I needed I guess.
Can't argue with that reasoning, buddy...

It's good. The dialog has a killer rhythm, and I really liked the refrain on the lyrics that weaved through issue two, but most of the song was just obtrusive. Sadie's dad kind of came across as a tycoon Hunter S. Thompson with a few screws loose, and I've got to wonder how much of what-drunk Sadie was going on about after the Spoon concert was true, or if she'd maybe just seen Chinatown a few too many times. The hope of pirate treasure and criminal syndicate goons chasing the crew is interesting, but I'm on the fence about how good this will be.
I was going to suggest adding spoiler tags (especially re: Sadie's post concert dialog), but I'm convinced that anybody who's interested in this series has probably read both issues already.

And also, does anyone else feel like every single drag queen in comics is portrayed as exactly the same character?
Sad but true, my friend. You would think "indie"/"alternative" comics would be a little more diverse when it comes to characterization, but no. They get their "gender sensitivity cred" *just* for featuring drag queens as supporting characters at all.

Even Grant Morrison is relatively guilty, in that regard, although one might argue that Lord Fanny kinda set the precedent for that archetype in comics, to begin with.

compound said:
I was going to suggest adding spoiler tags (especially re: Sadie's post conce dialog), but I'm convinced that anybody who's interested in this series has probably read both issues already.

Yeah, sounds about right. And I tried to be vague about it anyway. Besides, I feel this is a book where the style of the storytelling is more important than the individual exchanges anyway.

compound said:
Sad but true, my friend. You would think "indie"/"alternative" comics would be a little more diverse when it comes to characterization, but no. They get their "gender sensitivity cred" *just* for featuring drag queens as supporting characters at all.

For sure. I don't know a lot of drag queens, but I'm pretty sure they're all not hooked on boy.

compound said:
Even Grant Morrison is relatively guilty, in that regard, although one might argue that Lord Fanny kinda set the precedent for that archetype in comics, to begin with.

Yeah. Fanny is a big contributor to it. I liked the character, and thought he was able to give it a little more legs with the shamanistic aspect, but it was still a rather typical characterization. I'd say the first distinct example I can remember of it was from Sandman but I'm pretty sure I remember the archetype being used in some of Alan Moore's early stuff.... and probably Frank Miller too.

They just released this huge encyclopedia on the Vertigo universe; it looks like the DC character encyclopedia that was released a while ago and which has recently been updated....I was going to get the Vertigo encyclopedia, but it was 30 bucks. I think they should make a Wildstorm encyclopedia.

The Wildstorm Encyclopedia would probably just explode itself over and over.

Dear Vertigo -

It has become apparent to me as of late that comics are ****ing stupid. In fact, every snide remark by thuggish "cool" kids throughout my entire childhood about how stupid they are has suddenly become very valid to me. I am considering all of the retelling of tales to make them "better", the amazing crossover events, the hollow characters in convoluted storylines that just end up with twists that retcon everything I just spent a year reading. I mean, for pity's sake, Vertigo, did you know that the best thing to come out of Marvel in the last ten years was NEXTWAVE? Really, that is the only thing from Marvel I've ever believed anyone actually enjoyed. And I can't even figure out what the **** DC is talking about anymore. It really has become insulting to the readers that any of this stuff gets published. Maybe the era of the superpowered hero is dying off in comics.

Anyway, Vertigo, I am writing this to let you know that I love you. I do. With all my heart. You print wonderful titles, with amazing writers, and use lovely art that makes me swoon. The characters in your imprint are more real than any I've ever read. The stories are best-selling book worthy. Of course, fanboys who still wear Spider-Man Underoos won't read them, but that is because they are ****s. People who appreciate art, appreciate the fine men and women who spend time mastering their creative talents, appreciate stories that make ****ing sense and ooze awesomeness from every plot point, will totally read them. And really, who doesn't want that appreciative person reading their books? **** Spider-Man.

Vertigo, you are my favorite. Out of everything. Thank you so much for all that you do for the comic medium. As far as I am concerned, you are the only publisher of comics that exists.

P.S. Could you introduce me to Neil Gaiman or maybe Bill Willingham?

P.P.S. Have you considered buying D.C. comics?

P.P.S.S. If you want to make me REALLY appreciative, please find a way to transform your Fables title into a woman that I can **** everyday, because that is how crazy I am about it. Not kidding.

Love,
I'm Selling All of My Comics That Can't Be Considered Literature

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Vertigo is not the HBO of comics, rather HBO is the Vertigo of TV.

'Cept Vertigo's better.

I have no idea why in general people don't turn to Vertigo first when coming into comics, rather than turning to superheroes and then branching out to Vertigo.

And I say that as someone who loves teh superheroes.

Dear Vertigo -

It has become apparent to me as of late that comics are ****ing stupid. In fact, every snide remark by thuggish "cool" kids throughout my entire childhood about how stupid they are has suddenly become very valid to me. I am considering all of the retelling of tales to make them "better", the amazing crossover events, the hollow characters in convoluted storylines that just end up with twists that retcon everything I just spent a year reading. I mean, for pity's sake, Vertigo, did you know that the best thing to come out of Marvel in the last ten years was NEXTWAVE? Really, that is the only thing from Marvel I've ever believed anyone actually enjoyed. And I can't even figure out what the **** DC is talking about anymore. It really has become insulting to the readers that any of this stuff gets published. Maybe the era of the superpowered hero is dying off in comics.

Anyway, Vertigo, I am writing this to let you know that I love you. I do. With all my heart. You print wonderful titles, with amazing writers, and use lovely art that makes me swoon. The characters in your imprint are more real than any I've ever read. The stories are best-selling book worthy. Of course, fanboys who still wear Spider-Man Underoos won't read them, but that is because they are ****s. People who appreciate art, appreciate the fine men and women who spend time mastering their creative talents, appreciate stories that make ****ing sense and ooze awesomeness from every plot point, will totally read them. And really, who doesn't want that appreciative person reading their books? **** Spider-Man.

Vertigo, you are my favorite. Out of everything. Thank you so much for all that you do for the comic medium. As far as I am concerned, you are the only publisher of comics that exists.

P.S. Could you introduce me to Neil Gaiman or maybe Bill Willingham?

P.P.S. Have you considered buying D.C. comics?

P.P.S.S. If you want to make me REALLY appreciative, please find a way to transform your Fables title into a woman that I can **** everyday, because that is how crazy I am about it. Not kidding.

Love,
I'm Selling All of My Comics That Can't Be Considered Literature

:rockon:

Houde, I already have Cairo.

I need to buy the entire Sandman instead of just keep renting the same four volumes from the Library. There's just too much of it and I can't afford "Absolute" editions.

DMZ is pretty damn great.

Still haven't gotten back to 100 Bullets.

There are less volumes of Sandman than Fables.

Hmm...I guess that's true now, isn't it? Even not counting the supremely weird Jack of Fables.

Okay, let's say I make the wise choice of buying the full run one of the greatest comics ever...

...which spin-off books are worth a purchase? The Death books? Endless Nights? I'm not aiming for completion, but I definitely want to get the best stories of the bunch. Let me know your thoughts on any of these that are the most awesome.

Hmm...I guess that's true now, isn't it? Even not counting the supremely weird Jack of Fables.

Okay, let's say I make the wise choice of buying the full run one of the greatest comics ever...

...which spin-off books are worth a purchase? The Death books? Endless Nights? I'm not aiming for completion, but I definitely want to get the best stories of the bunch. Let me know your thoughts on any of these that are the most awesome.

The Death books for sure. They are coming out with a Death HC collecting both minis.

Lucifer is a spinoff series that lasted 75 issues and my favorite comic ever, but I wouldn't read that until you finish Sandman.

I haven't read many spinoffs yet as I'm waiting for the last Absolute to finish the series myself.

Well, Endless nights is technically the last volume of the series. I haven't read it myself because I'm waiting on the rumored Absolute V5 that'd have it and some other stuff in it. Most of the Sandman Presents stuff can be ignored. It either sucked (Bast, The Corinthian) or just doesn't matter much (Thessaly, Dead Boy Detectives).

Latest posts

Back