War Heroes: The Spiritual Successor to Ultimates

Ok….War Heroes isn't really a spiritual successor to Ultimates. Every concept used in this book is used in his Ultimates2 run. Super-powered army of govt soldiers? Check. Secret plan where villains steal said powers? Check.

I was excited about this…but the huge delay in shipping has squashed any enthusiasm for the book and now I just want him to finish the damn story.

Yes it is. This is what Ultimates 3 was going to be. He said in an interview that he would have split the book into two - ULTIMATE AVENGERS and THE ULTIMATES. The former would focus on our main characters, while the latter would be about a bunch of SHIELD agents and soldiers being given superpowers. So this basically is his ULTIMATES 3 with superpowers being distributed among soldiers and them in the real world.

Yes it is. This is what Ultimates 3 was going to be. He said in an interview that he would have split the book into two - ULTIMATE AVENGERS and THE ULTIMATES. The former would focus on our main characters, while the latter would be about a bunch of SHIELD agents and soldiers being given superpowers. So this basically is his ULTIMATES 3 with superpowers being distributed among soldiers and them in the real world.

Whatever it is meant to be - ULTIMATES 3, WATCHMEN 2 - I just want the issues to be released so I can torrent it so I can decide if it is worth the TPB.

I've only read the first issue, but I concur with this sentiment.

Think about it -- Government in shambles, alternate reality. Super powers set in a realistic, political/social environment. It's all there. A modern Watchmen.

Think about it -- Government in shambles, alternate reality. Super powers set in a realistic, political/social environment. It's all there. A modern Watchmen.

Except written with the purpose of being a film pitch, not an engrossing, intelligent comic series:D

Like most of Millar's creator-owned work, I just didn't enjoy this. It's all so forward, like a guy running around naked screaming "LOOK AT THE COOL **** I CAN DO!"

Except written with the purpose of being a film pitch, not an engrossing, intelligent comic series:D

Like most of Millar's creator-owned work, I just didn't enjoy this. It's all so forward, like a guy running around naked screaming "LOOK AT THE COOL **** I CAN DO!"

I've read the first issue, and I have to say, I am enjoying what I see. If it is as good as ULTIMATES 1+2, this will be a very good miniseries.

Why don't you like it, S&P?

And this is why I'm waiting for trade.

I've read the first issue, and I have to say, I am enjoying what I see. If it is as good as ULTIMATES 1+2, this will be a very good miniseries.

Why don't you like it, S&P?

It just felt like, "Hey, look at this, this is badass guys. Looks at it. Holy ****, how hardcore! LOOK AT IT!" When he does this type of storytelling using, say, Wolverine, it's somewhat interesting, because with Wolverine that works.

He seems like Michael Bay of comics when he's allowed to do what he wants. He just isn't good at establishing his own characters beyond the larger, blockbuster-idea they need to fit.

I had some problems with Civil War- I only enjoyed it because there was a genuinely interesting direction in the aftermath.

It just felt like, "Hey, look at this, this is badass guys. Looks at it. Holy ****, how hardcore! LOOK AT IT!" When he does this type of storytelling using, say, Wolverine, it's somewhat interesting, because with Wolverine that works.
Couldn't disagree more. There's nothing "Holy **** how hardcore!" etc. about it, since as the first two (and only) issues basically serve as an intro and nothing about it is like that. I think you're just putting too much into this, especially for something that's not there.

He seems like Michael Bay of comics when he's allowed to do what he wants. He just isn't good at establishing his own characters beyond the larger, blockbuster-idea they need to fit.
Well, seeing as it is his own creator owned work, I would hope he'd be allowed to do whatever he wants...

But really, it's only been two issues and there isn't much to judge. But from what there was, it's been good.

I don't think it was smart to start shipping this while Tony Harris still had to also complete Ex Machina. This is why his Spider-Man mini also suffered delays, though this is suffering worse since Tony is finishing up Ex Machina due to it coming to its final issues.

This will be a better off read when collected together. It's definitely something worth checking out. I mean, Al Queda possibly having powers? I want to see where that plot line goes.

I'm with Ice on this one. I can see what you're saying about how he's the Michael Bay of comics, but I don't necessarily agree with that in terms of this... I've only read the first issue, but this is the first issue since his first arc on Ultimate X-Men that didn't seem so over the top or contrived. Millar surprised me with this and if I can get my hands on the second issue I'd definitely like to see what's going on.

I'm with Ice on this one. I can see what you're saying about how he's the Michael Bay of comics, but I don't necessarily agree with that in terms of this... I've only read the first issue, but this is the first issue since his first arc on Ultimate X-Men that didn't seem so over the top or contrived. Millar surprised me with this and if I can get my hands on the second issue I'd definitely like to see what's going on.

For the sake of fairness, I'll still read this in TPB. Once my Library gets it.

I do understand how outrageous Millar's original works can be (The Unfunnies) but so far I think War Heroes has been pretty tame. The only extreme moment I can think of is the
zomg penis out of nowhere
... though I presume it will become more extreme later on.

Latest posts

Back