Was Millar's X-Men Too Over the Top?

Steve GMan said:
I'm almost positive that they were meant to be the same kid. The look alike......

Steve GMan said:
I was almost positive it was him....

What are you trying to say? All black people look alike? You bigotted racist! :x

Hooray for sarcasm. Seriosuly...I was just joking with that stuff up there. I don't think he's a racist. And FYI.......no it's not the same kid.

Last edited:
This is probably because of the widespread fear of mutants that caused the government to go over the top with the Sentinel program. Remeber that the Brotherhood and the X-Men pre-dated the Ultimates, and during that time, there was no well-known superhuman personalities that would be promoted as heroes to the public, just rogue vigilantes like Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Fear and paranoia caused by the destructive abilities of many mutant terrorist probably forced the government and many people to support "the greater good", such as trading the life of a mutant child who could possibly gain powers that would caused further violence and death across America. You could refer the "J", the poor kid in New Mutants who wiped out almost an entire town because of his mutant abilities, forcing Fury to have Wolverine put the poor kid down. We could also refer to teenage super-mutant Proteus who wreaked havoc across Europe by his sheer will. The government probably did not want to risk more mutants manifesting such dangerous super powers and declared an all-out war against mutantkind.

If it was not for the more high profile cases of the X-Men actions such as the rescue of the President's daughter, which garnered a lot of sympathy and eventual support from others, the Sentinel program would have been still accepted by the majority.

cmdrjanjalani said:
This is probably because of the widespread fear of mutants that caused the government to go over the top with the Sentinel program. Remeber that the Brotherhood and the X-Men pre-dated the Ultimates, and during that time, there was no well-known superhuman personalities that would be promoted as heroes to the public, just rogue vigilantes like Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Fear and paranoia caused by the destructive abilities of many mutant terrorist probably forced the government and many people to support "the greater good", such as trading the life of a mutant child who could possibly gain powers that would caused further violence and death across America. You could refer the "J", the poor kid in New Mutants who wiped out almost an entire town because of his mutant abilities, forcing Fury to have Wolverine put the poor kid down. We could also refer to teenage super-mutant Proteus who wreaked havoc across Europe by his sheer will. The government probably did not want to risk more mutants manifesting such dangerous super powers and declared an all-out war against mutantkind.

If it was not for the more high profile cases of the X-Men actions such as the rescue of the President's daughter, which garnered a lot of sympathy and eventual support from others, the Sentinel program would have been still accepted by the majority.

Great post.

cmdrjanjalani said:

Especially when you consider the low threat to human life. Sentinels were programmed to harm mutant life and ignore all human life. When you consider that factor into a program like that...its hard not to approve.

Of course there are those arguments that humans could be harmed by the crossfire.....but the collateral damage caused by a 100ft robot landing in public is something that just have to accept. All great leaders do.

Millar`s run is still my favorite, and any parts that i did find over the top i still enjoyed as i found them few and far between.

The only problem that I had with Millar on his X-Men run (Besides Hellfire and Brimstone) was the All-Purpose Mutant machine in the Return to Weapon X arc. I mean, a machine that had every single mutant power? Definitely not.

Steve GMan said:
Plus, we learn much later (issue 26) that that same kid killed in the first issue staged a one-man attack on the White House (I believe it was the White House, anyway).

OMG that is the first time I ever thought of that. I always wondered who that guy was because he didn't appear after issue 26. Is that sad on my part?

The first arc was the best.But other than that,it was okay at best.Nothing close to Millar's best stuff however.

Goodwill said:
The only problem that I had with Millar on his X-Men run (Besides Hellfire and Brimstone) was the All-Purpose Mutant machine in the Return to Weapon X arc. I mean, a machine that had every single mutant power? Definitely not.

It had every mutant power ever? I don't remember that, but this is purely from memory. I thought it just had over 300 mutant genes? If it had every mutant power, nothing could stop it.

Victor Von Doom said:
Great post.

Especially when you consider the low threat to human life. Sentinels were programmed to harm mutant life and ignore all human life. When you consider that factor into a program like that...its hard not to approve.

Of course there are those arguments that humans could be harmed by the crossfire.....but the collateral damage caused by a 100ft robot landing in public is something that just have to accept. All great leaders do.

In the first issue a Sentinel tried to blow up a bus full of normal humans just to kill one mutant, who in their right mind would spprove of Sentinels killing a bunch of humans just to get one mutant?

The Overlord said:
In the first issue a Sentinel tried to blow up a bus full of normal humans just to kill one mutant, who in their right mind would spprove of Sentinels killing a bunch of humans just to get one mutant?
The government does whatever they can do get what they want. Remember New Mutants arc? If they get a minimal calloratol damage, they don't care.

The Overlord said:

Do you understand what collateral damage is? It's accepting a certain extent of friendly damage in order to achieve the main goal.

Who in their right mind would approve it? Almost every single leader in history has approved it.

icemastertron said:
The government does whatever they can do get what they want. Remember New Mutants arc? If they get a minimal calloratol damage, they don't care.

The public would care though, in today's society if the government blew up a bus full of innocent people to kill one terrorist, the public would be howling for their heads. That's what is silly and over the top, the government should be using more discretion than that.

Victor Von Doom said:
Do you understand what collateral damage is? It's accepting a certain extent of friendly damage in order to achieve the main goal.

Who in their right mind would approve it? Almost every single leader in history has approved it.

Double post.

Last edited:
Victor Von Doom said:

The public would accept collateral damage in far away countries like Iraq, not on American soil. Its just the government would not be using more discretion and that the public would allow such actions to take place, wouldn't people be worried about becomming collateral damage? Would people really suppport that kind of opinion: "Gee, my wife is dead, but that's okay because that mutie died as well."

The Overlord said:
The public would accept collateral damage in far away countries like Iraq, not on American soil. Its just the government would not be using more discretion and that the public would allow such actions to take place, wouldn't people be worried about becomming collateral damage?
The governmetn doesn't really give much of damn what the public thinks.

icemastertron said:
The governmetn doesn't really give much of damn what the public thinks.

Read Machiavelli, no government can rule without some sort of public support, I didn't read the New Mutants arc, but there still elections right? Even if there are elections killing off random members of the public is a good way to start to coup. Its totally silly and unrealstic that government wouldn't just use more discretion and avoid unnecessary public deaths.

Last edited:
Here's the difference between Mutants and real-life minority groups that are discriminated against: Black people don't have laser eyes. Its as simple as that. If black people had had laser eyes, then the goverment would have squashed the Civil Rights Movement in the most violent, complete, and possibly public way possible. They would not just be feared in that "they're different so I don't understand" way, they'd be feared in the "OH MY GOD, THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO BLOW MY FREAKING HEAD OFF" way. Mutants are the most dangerous minority group that the world has ever seen and it makes perfect sense that America and and the entire world would be happy to see them destroyed on live tv.

moonmaster said:
Here's the difference between Mutants and real-life minority groups that are discriminated against: Black people don't have laser eyes. Its as simple as that. If black people had had laser eyes, then the goverment would have squashed the Civil Rights Movement in the most violent, complete, and possibly public way possible. They would not just be feared in that "they're different so I don't understand" way, they'd be feared in the "OH MY GOD, THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO BLOW MY FREAKING HEAD OFF" way. Mutants are the most dangerous minority group that the world has ever seen and it makes perfect sense that America and and the entire world would be happy to see them destroyed on live tv.

So because they are afriad of mutants killing them, the public is willin to allow Sentinels to blow up buses? That doesn't add up.

The Overlord said:
So because they are afriad of mutants killing them, the public is willin to allow Sentinels to blow up buses? That doesn't add up.

Sacrifices have to be made.

Latest posts

Back