Was Millar's X-Men Too Over the Top?

The Overlord said:
So because they are afriad of mutants killing them, the public is willin to allow Sentinels to blow up buses? That doesn't add up.
I'm not replying to the collateral damage arguement, I'm responding to the arguement that the public wouldn't let mutants be killed. I probably should have quoted one of the earlier posts...

ProjectX2 said:
Sacrifices have to be made.

No American public offical in their right mind would think it a good idea to slaugther members of the members of the US public just to get at a few mutants, that defies all logic.

The Overlord said:
No American public offical in their right mind would think it a good idea to slaugther members of the members of the US public just to get at a few mutants, that defies all logic.
You must not really know the government much. They do whatever they think they must to complete their goal.

The Overlord said:

Well, in Bendis' New Mutants arc, they were prepared to kill an entire crowd of humans just to annihilate four mutants.

icemastertron said:
You must not really know the government much. They do whatever they think they must to complete their goal.

You never read Machiavelli did you, if a government wants to maintain power they should engage in actions that wopuld cxause those theyh rule to to hate them. Governemnts should promote fear or love amongst those rule, never hatred. Engaging in the kind of ransomized violence, such as Sentinels blowing up buses, is not a good way to keep power.

ProjectX2 said:
Well, in Bendis' New Mutants arc, they were prepared to kill an entire crowd of humans just to annihilate four mutants.

His argument is that, in our world, people wouldn't put up with that.

I looked back at the first issue. The Sentinel is empyting it out (or maybe the people are just frantically running out on their own will), but in any case, when the bus was being destroyed, no human was on it.

Steve GMan said:

I looked back at the first issue. The Sentinel is empyting it out (or maybe the people are just frantically running out on their own will), but in any case, when the bus was being destroyed, no human was on it.

So this is going to boil down to another, "Is the Ultimate Universe realistic?"

Because the answer is no. Some of it is, but then again, these are comics. You're not going to see giant men and laser-eyed humans running around in the real world either.

ProjectX2 said:

Again that's just silly, any sort of government that wouldn't want to be overthrown would use more discretion.

icemastertron said:
And yet, the comic isn't our world. There's no mutants running with powers and what not.

Yeah, that's what I think that you can't really say if it's realistic or not. We'd never really know how the public or government would react since we have no basis against fighting supermen.

And, even if the Sentinels did destroy that bus, there would be countless was for the government to misconstrue the information. They could say that everyone on it were mutants, that the mutant killed the beforehand, etc. If the Sentinel did destroy it, they have some lie to back it up.

Last edited:
icemastertron said:
And yet, the comic isn't our world. There's no mutants running with powers and what not.

I still say having sentinels stomp on mutants on national tv and destroy buses is too over trhe top and could have been avoided. Any governemnt with a brain would use sleath sentinels to grab mutants when no was looking, that way you ensure there is no criticism.

Steve GMan said:
Yeah, that's what I think that you can't really say if it's realistic or not. We'd never really know how the public or government would react since we have no basis against fighting supermen.

And, even if the Sentinels did destroy that bus, there would be countless was for the government to misconstrue the information. They could say that everyone on it were mutants, that the mutant killed the beforehand, etc. If the Sentinel did destroy it, they have some lie to back it up.

I doubt the majority of the public would buy such a line, without proof to back it up. We live in the post Watergate world, this isn't the 50s when everyone thought the government was always right.

Last edited:
"My mom [who was on the bus] was a mutant? Okay then, I won't sue."

Doesn't sound like the USA I know.

The Overlord said:
I still say having sentinels stomp on mutants on national tv and destroy buses is too over trhe top and could have been avoided. Any governemnt with a brain would use sleath sentinels to grab mutants when no was looking, that way you ensure there is no criticism.

The government is worried and wants to take out as many of these things as possible. Perhaps large machines of war were quicker to build than smaller stealthier ones.

The Overlord said:
I doubt the majority of the public would buy such a line, without prrof to back it up.

If they truly want to believe that the mutant threat is being quelled, then yes they would.

Korinthian said:
"My mom [who was on the bus] was a mutant? Okay then, I won't sue."

Doesn't sound like the USA I know.

I'm sure Sentinels killed at least one mutant who was a mother. I never heard about anyone suing, althought maybe they would or should.

Steve GMan said:
The government is worried and wants to take out as many of these things as possible. Perhaps large machines of war were quicker to build than smaller stealthier ones.

If they truly want to believe that the mutant threat is being quelled, then yes they would.

So some guy loses his wife, but is still happy that some mutant died as well? I doubt that. Seriously who is the genius that decided to make those damn things 60 feet tall, making smaller sentinels would be cheaper and would cause less deaths amongst normal humans.

Last edited:
Steve GMan said:

Seemed to me that people were running out on their own while the Sentinel was blowing up the bus.

The Overlord said:
Seemed to me that people were running out on their own while the Sentinel was blowing up the bus.

In any case, it wasn't directly putting any human at risk when he started to destroy the bus. Had no one gotten out, maybe it would've ripped the top off and pulled Iceman out. We don't know, but since we're talking about a comic with giant robots and a world of mutants, then I guess we should just suspend our disbelief.

Steve GMan said:
In any case, it wasn't directly putting any human at risk when he started to destroy the bus. Had no one gotten out, maybe it would've ripped the top off and pulled Iceman out. We don't know, but since we're talking about a comic with giant robots and a world of mutants, then I guess we should just suspend our disbelief.

People on this board say that the Ultimate Universe, is supposed to be way more relastic than 616 MU, but in this case I say the hatred of mutants is just as over the top, if not more so in the Ultimate Universe.

Latest posts

Back