Watchmen film discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Watchmen?

• Total voters
I'm ready to defend this movie with my life. Better than TDK.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. I get the feeling that the people that dislike this movie decided that they weren't going to like it months ago. Sure it's not perfect, but it's still a respectable movie. It got far more things right than it got wrong.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. I get the feeling that the people that dislike this movie decided that they weren't going to like it months ago. Sure it's not perfect, but it's still a respectable movie. It got far more things right than it got wrong.
We disagree with you so we must have made up our minds before seeing it?

Don't be an ***.

Don't be an ***.

I wasn't trying to call you out, I was talking more about other people I know in the real world. So pump the breaks. But are you serious when you called it horrible? I mean you bring up some good points, and a lot of them are problems I had with the film, but if you were expecting perfection going in then you were setting yourself up to dislike it. I mean those complaints are relatively trivial in terms of the movie as a whole. This is FAR from a horrible movie. Catwoman, Batman and Robin, Spider-man 3; those are horrible movies. This is a good one that is just a bit sub par when compared to the source material. Based on its own merits however, it is still a respectable film to say the least.

Last edited:
He's just saying. I wouldn't really call him an *** for it.
And I'm just saying that I'm allowed to dislike a movie that others enjoy purely based on the merits (or lack thereof) without being accused of not giving it a fair chance.

I was EXCITED about this movie. I HOPED for the best. And I was severely DISAPPOINTED by what I saw.
I'm going to go as far as saying that Alan Moore should get on all fours and kiss Zack Snyder's feet for this.
Well now you're just being silly.

And I'm just saying that I'm allowed to dislike a movie that others enjoy purely based on the merits (or lack thereof) without being accused of not giving it a fair chance.

Fair enough. And I'm just saying that you are being far too critical and are focusing on relatively trivial problems within the film. At least we're at an understanding.

I wasn't trying to call you out, I was talking more about other people I know in the real world. So pump the breaks. But are you serious when you called it horrible? I mean you bring up some good points, and a lot of them are problems I had with the film, but if you were expecting perfection going in then you were setting yourself up to dislike it. I mean those complaints are relatively trivial in terms of the movie as a whole. This is FAR from a horrible movie. Catwoman, Batman and Robin, Spider-man 3; those are horrible movies. This is a good one that is just a bit sub par when compared to the source material. Based on its own merits however, it is still a respectable film to say the least.
Didn't say horrible. I said it was bad.

Ozymandias was horrible, but the movie as a whole was fairly pedestrian bad. Two stars is an accurate rating for me. Certainly not LoEG bad, but not any good either.

Why? Zack Snyder didn't **** on Alan Moore's work. He brought it to life and actually improved on it.
You're insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sucked.

"Sucked", "horrible", "bad"...it's all semantics. And I'll admit that Veidt wasn't quite what I would have liked, but he wasn't bad enough to pull the movie down. Sure I would have had him be a bit more of the archetypal superhero and less David Bowie, but it wasn't horrible. To be fair Veidt never was really intimidating in the graphic novel, even at the end. The rest of the cast was great though.

"Sucked", "horrible", "bad"...it's all semantics. And I'll admit that Veidt wasn't quite what I would have liked, but he wasn't bad enough to pull the movie down. Sure I would have had him be a bit more of the archetypal superhero and less David Bowie, but it wasn't horrible. To be fair Veidt never was really intimidating in the graphic novel, even at the end. The rest of the cast was great though.

I think the reviews on Goode's acting is completely unfair. He was probably the weakest cast member. But his character was probably the most complex to play. He was Dr. Manhattan without the excuse to distance himself from people. Not easy. You look at actors who get to play these psychotics (Ledger, JEH) and they get all the credit because "It's so hard to loose yourself in a character. I call bull****. Try keeping it together and playing a madman that doesn't get to act like a madman. Like I said, not the strongest of the cast but he's got the handicap.

I had basically the same problems McCheese had. The makeup and costumes were bad, the songs were ridiculous, the fights were unbelievable, the effects were terrible. Everything blended together. When Manhatten makes his Mars fortress it should be the most amazing sight of all time, and it doesn't even look better than Archie.

It doesn't hold together as a movie at all. It's all over the place. There's basically no main plot. I can't believe anyone who didn't read the comics would understand who these people were or what was going on.

I hated it.

I'm glad my expectations were low.

Better than TDK though? No way.

Bass' journal. March 6th, 2009. Just saw WATCHMEN movie. Was taken aback at how good and bad it was at same time. Hurm. Warrants further explanation.

Opening surprising. Why show Comedian's death? When actor gave that weird look before being put through the coffee table, I understood. Actor is delightful. One of the best scenes in the movie, because it has time to breathe. It's natural. Then opening credits which are brilliant. Great way to show the Watchmen's world without dialogue boring audience. Well done.

After that, movie continues well enough. Unfortunately, too much in movie. Should've been HBO miniseries instead of film. Film squashes too many scenes, trying to keep too much in. On the whole, first half of movie very entertaining. Comedian in particular, was engaging. Nite Owl and Rorschach also very good. Ozymandias okay but downplayed too much. Silk Spectre fine but not amazing. Dr Manhattan – unfortunate. At times, genuinely eerie and worrying. Othertimes, nothing more than CGI spectacle. Didn't find balance easily. Actor good.

Impressive additions; swearing and graphical violence. Original comic forced to adhere to bizarre, outdated comics code authority. Movie free. Free to swear, to show blood and pain. Dr Manhattan's dispatching of the mafia goons went from "paff" cloud into exploding body parts. Good addition. Swearing too. The physical power of the more 'human' heroes perhaps too much. It is a change not needed, but seemingly desired by director. Empty one that did some harm. Except for Ozymandias, Comedian and Rorschach. Crazy men who can fight. Specifically Nite Owl and Silk Spectre. Problem because slow-motion kung fu, while entertaining, make them appear 'superhuman', which makes Dr Manhattan less impressive and just another 'effect'. Music choices were good. Made film very operatic. But too much. Too much of every good thing, deafening the senses. Too much in too little time. Film didn't need more time. Film needed less in it. Almost very good. Terrific set design.

Ending problem. Lacked pace. Fell apart. Not because squid-less. Because no atmosphere. Key moments glossed over. Scenes in post-bomb New York should show gravity of the deaths. The pulped masses, the flowing blood, the crushing weight of death. None present. Just a clue in an already revealed conspiracy. No meaning. Almost had it: psychiatrist and news vendor and kid – even though we never saw them, their hug spoke many words – worked as grassroot appeal. Threw it away with no mourning. Stupidly ruined choreography of fight with slow-motion effects. Ozymandias eating great character trait. Forgot to set-up the bullet with great line, "I guess I'd have to catch the bullet, wouldn't I?" Forgot to set-up the bullet with Silk Spectre scavenging for gun as the small, insignificant termite she is. Ending so well done in comic. Had to work hard to screw it up. Manhattan as cause is fine. Good use of humanity's fear of Manhattan. Good pay off to Comedian's line, "You're out of touch, Doc. God help us all." Should've played it up more. Make Manhattan seem just as dangerous as nuclear war, not as its saviour. Make him seem like he could go either way, a closed hand of God with the thumb pointing sideways, waiting to turn. Ending also removed line, "I DID IT!" with Ozymadias' hands in the air. Important beat. Only true emotion Ozymandias shows in the entire story. Stupid to leave it. Stupid to cut away to Nite Owl and Silk Spectre acting like married couple in happy suburban home. Lie. A haphazardly cut piece of paper pretending to fit in with the jigsaw. Almost added good bit to ending: Rorschach's death. While both Manhattan and Rorschach's actors – particularly Rorschach's – play the scene perfectly, the addition of Nite Owl was good in theory. But like many theories, ultimately useless. Nite Owl just watching wasn't in character. Also, his scream at the end feels added on because he's not part of the scene. He shows up before scene starts. Scene happens. Then he says something. He should've spoke to Rorschach and Manhattan when it was clear Rorschach was begging Manhattan to kill him. Good idea. Nite Owl should've been there in comic. Always felt bad his reaction to Rorschach's death never shown. Good idea, poorly executed. Made worse with Nite Owl punching Ozymandias. Out of character for both. Needless. Cliché. In comics, Nite Owl makes his peace with horror. In film, he makes peace with deaths of millions in his home town, but gets upset when his friend is killed. Makes him seem stupid. Capricious. Inconsistent.

Odd choice. Of all parts of the comic, ending should be changed least. Most important part. This is why reviews so mixed. Ending is a good, solid story ending. Film is good and solid for the most part. Unique and distinct. Genuine. But ending is so badly put together, people walk out wondering why they didn't enjoy it as much as they thought they would.

Ending butchered. Pace ruined. Structure holds well enough, but exposed as shoddy, ridiculous, and infantile. All things WATCHMEN is iconically antithetical to. Shows up major problem with WATCHMEN fanbase: most prefer to talk about how much they like comic than to actually enjoy the comic. Fans look up and scream, "This is the best comic ever" but in their hearts, they whisper, "I prefer the X-Men". Never captured heart. Only mind. Legitimized medium on academic level. Movie not academic. Medium of film in no need of legitimacy. Movie superhero genre in no need of legitimacy since BATMAN BEGINS. Remove academia, and WATCHMEN is absurd.

Never really liked WATCHMEN.

Until movie.

I was disappointed not to see Rorschach waiting outside the burning house with the killer handcuffed inside. I guess they didn't want to show him in the act of butchering dogs?

Interesting.

I don't know what to think about Watchmen. It was a film with some outstanding moments (pretty much anything with Rorschach on screen, particular favourites include the "I'm not locked up in here with you..." scene, and the "Your hands.." bit), brought down with some dumbassery. The music was my biggest problem. Some of it was good, but large parts of it was just jarring and took me out of the film. The Comedian was great, but as everyone has been saying Silk Spectre was very bland and dull (except her arse. That was a cracking arse. They should have showed more of it in the Owlship sex scene.).

One question. The moment in the child killers house, when the killer walks in, sees the fake dummy and spins around with his gun screaming "where are you?" etc.... did anyone else think straight to Batman Begins?

I'll be seeing this tonight, and I haven't read the comics, so I'll discuss this later.

I am presuming you meant comments instead of comics... right?! :shock:

Latest posts

Back