Watchmen film discussion (Spoilers!)

How would you rate Watchmen?

• Total voters
Snyder could have made the ending just as grotesque even with the Manhattan bombs. I would agree that that was a failure on his part.

To clarify I'm not saying that the idea to use Manhattan's energy devices instead of the Squid was a bad idea, just that Snyder should have included the carnage in the streets of NYC when doing this. All in all I like the movie...it does bother me that there are stupid little things here and there that keep it from being great.

Agreed. The grotesque horror that was present in the comic did not carry over to the film, and it didn't' have to be that way just because he changed the ending.

I voted ***** but in all accuracy it'd be 4.7 but still a very good film. And I know I'll get booed for this but I preferred it to the comic. IMO the ending was just a better ending. The story flowed better. While I still liked comic the movie I enjoyed like 100x more.

Though I never saw it in cinema I only saw it on bluray as i picked it up today. No not directors cut. for some reason bluray here = theatrical cut and no directors cut.

Everything in this movie was awesome. The story , the casting the effects, hell even the music kicked *** e.g Sound of silence. Not to mention parts I thought were very clever e.g montage at start with the song "The Times They Are A-Changin'" was just brilliant.

Maybe, but with the squid is was so much more...grotesque, and therefore did a better job illustrating how horrifying the ends Ozymandias would go to to obtain his goal were.

I think the reason it didn't have as much of an impact was because in the theatrical release you didn't get to know the people who died in the end. I'm with you and so is pretty much everyone else that has talked to me about the film that mutilated bodies should have been there. I just think the intimacy with the civilians was a big part of it too.

I think the reason it didn't have as much of an impact was because in the theatrical release you didn't get to know the people who died in the end. I'm with you and so is pretty much everyone else that has talked to me about the film that mutilated bodies should have been there. I just think the intimacy with the civilians was a big part of it too.

Yeah but that would have taken too much time to get to know them, maybe if we saw each of their faces during the explosion

Yeah but that would have taken too much time to get to know them, maybe if we saw each of their faces during the explosion

True. I've come to the conclusion that it would have been better if the Manhattan bombs only killed living things, or something akin to that. If this were the case the end result would have been much like the psychic blasts from the squid monster...the streets full of dead bodies without all of the destroyed buildings.

Agreed, but again you don't have that same level of grotesqueness if you don't have that hideous squid in the middle of Madison Square Garden. It's just not the same.

Maybe it's because in real life we already knew what a nuclear bomb looks like.

Agreed, but again you don't have that same level of grotesqueness if you don't have that hideous squid in the middle of Madison Square Garden. It's just not the same.

Maybe it's because in real life we already knew what a nuclear bomb looks like.

Agreed. The horror is missing. You're absolutely right. I had not noticed that.

(Also.... Moloch is completely superfluous in the Manhattan-bomb version.)

I caved and got the ultimate cut DVD. it's pretty good and comes in a pretty case. i'm not sure why the front of it is a pirate logo on a yellow circle and not the classic happy face, but whatever. in addition to the black freighter stuff there are bits here and there that weren't included in the director's cut. mainly stuff that ties the movie to the cartoon. a lot of it has to do with the vendor and the kid.

something funny i just noticed. when Veidt is talking to the leaders of the oil companies in his office "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears is playing quietly. I thought that was a nice touch. :)

i'm not sure why the front of it is a pirate logo on a yellow circle and not the classic happy face, but whatever

I'm sure it was to tie in the inclusion of Black Freighter but it is kind of dumb to replace the iconic smiley face logo.

I want to watch this but it's like 3.5 hours. The movie was OK but can I really sit through a 3.5 hour movie? I don't think so. It's why I haven't seen King Kong yet.

I'm sure it was to tie in the inclusion of Black Freighter but it is kind of dumb to replace the iconic smiley face logo.

Agreed. They should've stuck with the iconic smiley logo.

An all yellow cover with just those few black spots and a bit of blood. So simple.

I want to watch this but it's like 3.5 hours. The movie was OK but can I really sit through a 3.5 hour movie? I don't think so. It's why I haven't seen King Kong yet.

I know the feeling. The extended version of Peter Jackson's King Kong is insane. If I didn't love it so much I'd burn the disc and never mention it again.

3.5 hours is long. Hell...if you could muster the strength for another hour or so, you could sit thru the entire motion comic.

ahhh...this movie pisses me off. It's not that it's bad, on the contrary I think it's really good. It's that there are these little problems here and there that keep it from being great. For instance, I have no idea why they decided to cut the scene between Veidt and Manhattan at the very end of the book. When Manhattan tells Veidt that nothing ever ends. It would have been so great in the movie. gahhhh!!!!

ahhh...this movie pisses me off. It's not that it's bad, on the contrary I think it's really good. It's that there are these little problems here and there that keep it from being great. For instance, I have no idea why they decided to cut the scene between Veidt and Manhattan at the very end of the book. When Manhattan tells Veidt that nothing ever ends. It would have been so great in the movie. gahhhh!!!!

I think the impact of it would have been lost because Dr. Manhattan was (sort of) the one responsible for the deaths/destruction. In the comic it was great because he had a very uneasy acceptance of what Veidt did, and yeah, he had that in the movie but it was different because of his indirect responsibility.

I think the impact of it would have been lost because Dr. Manhattan was (sort of) the one responsible for the deaths/destruction. In the comic it was great because he had a very uneasy acceptance of what Veidt did, and yeah, he had that in the movie but it was different because of his indirect responsibility.

I don't agree. The fact that Veidt pins his plan on Manhattan doesn't make him responsible for the plan. That speech easily could have been put into the movie and made sense.

I don't agree. The fact that Veidt pins his plan on Manhattan doesn't make him responsible for the plan. That speech easily could have been put into the movie and made sense.

Doesn't matter. He now cares about the human race after all that hesitation and dramatic buildup, and then he is used in a way that causes the human race to see him as evil. It wouldn't make sense to offer Veidt reassurance at that point. If anything, Veidt should be saying it to Doc Manhattan.

Doesn't matter. He now cares about the human race after all that hesitation and dramatic buildup, and then he is used in a way that causes the human race to see him as evil. It wouldn't make sense to offer Veidt reassurance at that point. If anything, Veidt should be saying it to Doc Manhattan.

I don't see what you are saying. It's clear that while Manhattan accepts of what Veidt doesn't necesarily approve. I can't remember exactly what he says in the movie. The fact that humanity sees Manhattan as evil is beside the point. I'm not even sure we are talking about the same part of the GN. I'm talking about the part when Veidt and Manhattan are talking alone together right before Manhattan leaves Earth. He says something to Veidt that implies that his peace may not actually prevent war. If anything this is Manhattan warning Veidt, not him reassuring him.

Latest posts

Back