Watchmen (Spoilers)

I personally don't think that Ozymandias is a villain. He isn't motivated by evil, but rather he wants to save the human race. He knows that it is going to take something horrifying to unite the people of earth, so that's what he does. Sure he kills a few million, but only to save a few billion. He's a grey character.

:lol: I don't like looking guides to comics till after I've read them all just incase of spoilers

it doesnt spoil.

i promise.

it just points out references to history and culture, and instances of foreshadowing without telling you WHAT exactly it is foreshadowing, but just what chapter it foreshadows.

it doesnt spoil.

i promise.

it just points out references to history and culture, and instances of foreshadowing without telling you WHAT exactly it is foreshadowing, but just what chapter it foreshadows.

Ah cool

I personally don't think that Ozymandias is a villain. He isn't motivated by evil, but rather he wants to save the human race. He knows that it is going to take something horrifying to unite the people of earth, so that's what he does. Sure he kills a few million, but only to save a few billion. He's a grey character.

Exactly. They're all grey characters. They're all doing what they think is right. And like Doc Manhattan says, it will never end.

Also, for those disappointed with the ending...
there was a rumour that the movie will end with Ozymandias taking control of Doc Manhattan and sending him to major cities around the world for him to destroy. WTF?

there was a rumour that the movie will end with Ozymandias taking control of Doc Manhattan and sending him to major cities around the world for him to destroy. WTF?

I don't believe that. If they do I'd be pretty urked. I mean changing the ending in regard to the giant alien attacking earth is one thing, but this would be completely different. I don't think that Snyder is that stupid. Where did you here this?

I don't believe that. If they do I'd be pretty urked. I mean changing the ending in regard to the giant alien attacking earth is one thing, but this would be completely different. I don't think that Snyder is that stupid. Where did you here this?

Down in the dark bowels of the internet. I don't think it's true either, as I'm sure Snyder would not change the ending after he's ensured it is going to be heavily based on the comic.

As closely as people are watching to see that this is done right, I can't believe that at all.

Down in the dark bowels of the internet. I don't think it's true either, as I'm sure Snyder would not change the ending after he's ensured it is going to be heavily based on the comic.

Yeah...

I mean if that ending really happened, Alan Moore might just pull out that M16 he's kept in the attic all of these years, just in case.

the chapter called fearful symmetry is something else- the first panel is a mirror of the last, the second of the second last, all the way to the middle of the book, which is an action shot of adrian veidt.

also keep an eye out for clocks, various things in the shape of a smiley face with the streak of blood (which itself is a take on the clock), and all the little things written on random objects in each panel. the art has some serious depth to it, which just adds to moore's ridiculousness.

also, check this out: http://www.capnwacky.com/rj/watchmen/chapter1.html this guide really opens up the book and helps you to catch all the little details that make it so special.

i hope you continue to find it interesting

Thanks for the link to the site.I never realized there was hidden things within each chapter.Thanks once again for the heads up:]

Exactly. They're all grey characters. They're all doing what they think is right. And like Doc Manhattan says, it will never end.

and then Ozymandias rides Doc Manhattan like a pony.

Gross.

Has anyone else checked out the watchmen motion comic on itunes? Its free right now and definitely worth the download. Other than the fact that there is only 1 voice actor (yes, he even voices the women) it is a fantastic representation of the novel and it was fun to see it "come to life", even if it was just a little bit.

Has anyone else checked out the watchmen motion comic on itunes? Its free right now and definitely worth the download. Other than the fact that there is only 1 voice actor (yes, he even voices the women) it is a fantastic representation of the novel and it was fun to see it "come to life", even if it was just a little bit.

I've heard good things about it. I downloaded it earlier and haven't had a chance to watch yet.

Damn, that motion comic was cool. I didn't even expect it to look that good. They basically turned the comic into an animated movie. Besides the (one!) crappy voice actor, it was pretty great.

I hope they do more of these.

Got this today. Started to read it... It doesn't read like a comic book, I'll tell you that. Alan Moore has written this in a way that transcends what is now a graphic novel. I'd say this is the only "graphic novel" (at least that I know of). The others are just collections of single issues.

Got this today. Started to read it... It doesn't read like a comic book, I'll tell you that. Alan Moore has written this in a way that transcends what is now a graphic novel. I'd say this is the only "graphic novel" (at least that I know of). The others are just collections of single issues.

I'd call it a trade paper back, cuz it collects the 12 installments that they were originally released in. and each chapter is either like a mini story or has some kind of cliffhanger at the end.

but I am pretty pedantic.

I also wouldn't call Dickens or Asimov books 'novels' cuz most of those were serialised in the first instance. When you notice this you realise how they are written in different ways.

It's the difference between TV series and Films, and people don't get confused there. I'd only call it a graphic novel if it was released just as it was. like a lot of Neil Gaimans books, or Five fists of science, or Crecy or some such.

I don't think we should be ashamed to call them comics, and I don't think dickens lovers should be ashamed that he wrote his stories to be read bit by bit.

I agree with N4P. (ABBREVIATION!)

I've been complaining forever about the blatant misunderstanding by most people over the term 'graphic novel'.

But Watchmen does indeed read like a prose novel, and feels as dense.

If you're liking that, Goodwill, try out 'From Hell'. It's about Jack the Ripper, it's nearly 600 pages, and from an objective standpoint, it's probably the best and most wonderfully complex story I've ever read in the medium.

Latest posts

Back