What Do you Read

I want to read some Richard Matheson. I've read I Am Legend which was great and I've now got Duel. Recommendations?

Baxter, was that Living Dead zombie anthology any good? There are a couple of stories in there I want to read and I want to know if it's worth buying. I see the editor has also done a couple of other anthologies too.

There was a free 40-minute excerpt of Twilight on iTunes, so I'm listening to that right now. It's free, like a library book, but I can't read Twilight in public because someone might think I actually like it, so this is really the best option.

So far, it's just been a boring account of Bella settling into her dad's place. Her endless whining about how ****ty Forks is got old really fast, but that's not even that annoying. The whole thing is one big "meh". Her love of her crappy old truck is mildly endearing, but she's just an incredibly boring person. For someone who claims to be taciturn and have problems showing emotion, she sure is eager to whine nonstop about the town she chose to live in. The prose is okay, although it was overusing the passive voice in the beginning. I'm hoping it'll get more interesting(ly crappy) when Edward shows up.

There was a free 40-minute excerpt of Twilight on iTunes, so I'm listening to that right now. It's free, like a library book, but I can't read Twilight in public because someone might think I actually like it, so this is really the best option.

So far, it's just been a boring account of Bella settling into her dad's place. Her endless whining about how ****ty Forks is got old really fast, but that's not even that annoying. The whole thing is one big "meh". Her love of her crappy old truck is mildly endearing, but she's just an incredibly boring person. For someone who claims to be taciturn and have problems showing emotion, she sure is eager to whine nonstop about the town she chose to live in. The prose is okay, although it was overusing the passive voice in the beginning. I'm hoping it'll get more interesting(ly crappy) when Edward shows up.

I'm surprised you haven't read it earlier, being you named yourself after it.

Last thing I read was Gaiman's American Gods, which was fantastic.

Before that was Carter Beats the Devil, by Glen David Gold, a semi-fictionalized account of the life and adventures of an actual stage magician during vaudeville named Carter the Great. It was awesome.

I got to be honest, I read like a nympho humps: anything and everything.
I own a TV but only use it to watch movies or play games. My walls are book shelves, (so is my bed and kitchen table, stove, floor, toilet, furniture, just about any surface in my home has a stack of books on it.
Any way, I get into the horror and Sci Fi, like Stephen King, Richard Matheson, Ray Bradburry, Robert Bloch, HP Lovecraft,(LOVE me some Lovecraft), EA Poe, Phill Dick and some other obscure authers.
But I also get into Cormac Macarthy, Irvine Welsh, Heman Hesse, Albert Camus, Fitzgerald, Bret Ellis, Kerouac, Ginsberg, and so much more....

Reading is the real past time for this vegetable...

Why would you feel compelled to do this?

I got to be honest, I read like a nympho humps: anything and everything.
I own a TV but only use it to watch movies or play games. My walls are book shelves, (so is my bed and kitchen table, stove, floor, toilet, furniture, just about any surface in my home has a stack of books on it.
Any way, I get into the horror and Sci Fi, like Stephen King, Richard Matheson, Ray Bradburry, Robert Bloch, HP Lovecraft,(LOVE me some Lovecraft), EA Poe, Phill Dick and some other obscure authers.
But I also get into Cormac Macarthy, Irvine Welsh, Heman Hesse, Albert Camus, Fitzgerald, Bret Ellis, Kerouac, Ginsberg, and so much more....

Reading is the real past time for this vegetable...

:rockon:

Currently reading Hound of the Baskervilles.

I think most of can agree that Twi is one of the more intelligent and insightful people on this site.

But just to be on the safe side, when she's finished, let's all go over to her house, search her stuff for Twilight-related things and burn all we find, just in case she's caught the Edward madness.

I'm trying to get back into reading after being consumed by comics and movies for the last few months... so at the moment I'm reading Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, a story I've intended to read for years. I've got The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman ready afterwards and I think once I've finished that I'll try and catch up with The Dresden Files.

I would actually read that.

And I shouldn't admit this as a librarian, but having a version with zombies was pretty much the only reason I've ever been interested in reading Pride and Prejudice at all. One of the reviewers for P&P&Z suggested a whole series of classics done in this manner, including Romeo and Juliet and Zombies, which I would also read. (Or perhaps they should do the R&J one with werewolves....) Nothing short of an epic, full-blown alien space invasion could entice me to read War and Peace, however.

I read the final book of the Pendragon Adventure today.

It's strange...I've been a fan of the series for years, but there was something very unsatisfying about that ending. I just can't quite put my finger on it. Though I think it might be because Saint Dane went out like a punk and it felt rather forced.

Also, I started reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat. It is very good.

I saw this at Borders. This is definately going to the list.

My current reading list:

A People's History of the World by Chris Harman - it's a long one. I'm not sure if you would consider this fiction or non-fiction, I suppose it's a matter of opinion to some since it was written by a Marxist, but it's a very reasonable version of world history and I'm enjoying it. If anything, it provides a different perspective to events throughout civilization. It's a big book and I'll probably spend a large part of what remains of 2009 finishing it.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins - I gotta say, I love Richard Dawkins. He's undoubtedly one of the greatest modern scientists and this book uses much of his knowledge to argue against the concept of a God (at least in the religious sense).

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway - Amazingly, I've never read Hemingway outside of excerpts of his work when I was in high school. I decided it would be in my best interests to read some of his literature so I just bought this book from the bargain bin the other day. I'll start reading it next week.

Guns, Germs & Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond - Another alternative history book. Explains the rise and fall of most human societies through history through economic and social factors. Well-thought-out and well-written. It's another big book I'm working on and again, something I will probably not finish for a while but like A People's History of the World, it's not a book you can read in one day and fully understand.

Recently finished:

God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens - Like The God Delusion, this is a mostly scientific argument against the existence of god, a primer for those who find themselves in need of disavowing and arguing against organized religion. I appreciate the tools this book has armed me with, though mostly those tools are just reinforcements to the ones I already possess.

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk - I enjoyed it. I know there's some Chuck P. bashers on this board so bash away, but it was a fun read. Read it from start to finish in about 4 hours. Went to sleep satisfied.

I have just finished Storm Front, which is the first book of the Dresden Files. I am now reading Blood of Elves, the first novel in the Witcher saga. After that, it will be either A Darkness Born in Fire or The First Book of the New Sun. Probably the latter - I need a good Science Fiction read.

Change of plans. Instead of reading either A Darkness Born in Fire or Book of the New Sun, I am now reading The Man Who Was Thursday, which will be followed by Dune.

Looks like I'll be quite busy book wise for sometime.

By Butcher I assume you mean Jim Butcher?

EDIT: You know what, while I am at it, I am going to do a list of all the books I can remember reading. *Ahem*

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
4. The Wayfarer Redemption
5. Ender's Game
6. Speaker for the Dead
7. The Icewind Dale Trilogy
8. The Dark Elf Trilogy
9. Legacy of the Drow
10. A Game of Thrones
11. A Clash of Kings
12. A Storm of Swords
13. A Feast for Crows
14. The Last Wish
15. The City of Towers
16. Wizard's First Rule
17. Stone of Tears
18. Ghostwalker
19. Storm Front
20. The Screwtape Letters
21. Fallen Angel
22. The Catcher in the Rye
23. War of the Spider Queen Book 1 - 3
24. Game Over: Press Start to Continue
25. A Child Called 'It'
26. Their Eyes Were Watching God
27. Night
28. Catch-22
29. The Blade Itslef - First Book of the First Law Trilogy
30. Before They Are Hanged - Second Book of the First Law Trilogy
31. The Spine of the World
32. The Silent Blade
33. Sea of Swords
34. Halo - The Fall of Reach
35. Relentless
36. The Name of the Wind
37. The Elric Saga Part 1

And as you can all assume, no, these were not read in order listed here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back