What Do you Read

I just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy after putting it off for a week or two. Surprisingly good and quite chilling once I got into it.

The Road is amazing. So ridiculously well-written. I can't really imagine a film so beautiful and yet starkly chilling at the same time. That's the power of words for you.

I also just got finished reading Pale Fire, by Vladimir Nabokov (well, re-reading). That is amazing novel. Truly, one of the most extraordinary, innovative books I've ever read in my life. I recommend it to everyone.

I also just got finished reading Pale Fire, by Vladimir Nabokov (well, re-reading). That is amazing novel. Truly, one of the most extraordinary, innovative books I've ever read in my life. I recommend it to everyone.

YES! YES! THANK YOU!

I've been trying to get all my friends into this book for years, but none of them take to it. Nabokov's such a clever writer.

I bought World War Z recently for one of my classes. It's absolutely great.

I'm reading The Road next for the same class. Glad you guys liked it as I'm now looking forward to it.

YES! YES! THANK YOU!

I've been trying to get all my friends into this book for years, but none of them take to it. Nabokov's such a clever writer.

Nabokov utilizes some of the most brilliant turns of phrases I've ever seen, and the poem itself is also quite good (and his first language isn't even English!).

I just love the way he lays out his plot, and constantly undermines the reader's expectations, so much so that by the end you have no idea what REALLY happened. You can guess, sure, but the complete unreliability of the narrator makes it impossible to discern exactly what's going on. And maybe that's the point - the unreliablity and unreality of reality itself. Or maybe it's a clever satire on the entire process of literary analysis? Or perhaps its a parable about madness and obsession? Or all of the above? Or none of the above?

Man, what a great book.

...what class is it and how do I get into it?
Forms of Fiction and you need to move to Southern Illinois.

My teacher chose a theme for the entire class, namely Apocalypse. We've read a few things by HG Welles and some assorted short stories before this and eventually we'll be reading Y: The Last Man - Unmanned.

Forms of Fiction and you need to move to Southern Illinois.

My teacher chose a theme for the entire class, namely Apocalypse. We've read a few things by HG Welles and some assorted short stories before this and eventually we'll be reading Y: The Last Man - Unmanned.

Awesome, I hope you're taking notes on how to be a good teacher.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, at the moment, along with assorted evolutionary psychology/ anthropology nonfiction.

This is the closest thing we have to an All About Books Thread, so here's a continuation of a Social Thread discussion.

Here you go, some like-minded thinking.

http://www.anti-shurtugal.com/wordpress/?page_id=51

And I couldn't begin to wrap my head around a book like that. (The economy one, not Twilight.) You have my congrats.

Awww, thanks. You're sweet.

I love Anti-Shurtugal and I am SO glad they have a Twilight section! Now I remember that one of the girls liked Eragon too. ******* it.

I feel like the escapee in Plato's allegory of the cave. I know the fire pictures are really pretty, but there's an entire WORLD waiting for you! It physically pains me to think that this is all the fiction some people know, that they literally cannot conceive of anything better than Twilight or Eragon or whatever romantic **** some hack churned out after taking all the heart and soul out of a better work. It's like they're crippled, like a mental patient chained to a wall until their muscles rot. I can't stand it.

I love my parents so much. I will never, ever take it for granted that I grew up in a house surrounded by hundreds, if not thousands, of good books. I can't imagine what it would be like to defend a book with "Well, not everything has to have meaning!" while calling it the "best book ever" in the same breath. It would be like missing a limb.

How can you possibly believe that Twilight is the best book ever? I try to imagine believing that and it feels like I'm dead inside.

I have to go read something good now. Or possibly write something.

How can you possibly believe that Twilight is the best book ever? I try to imagine believing that and it feels like I'm dead inside.
Statements like that suggest that the speaker has read all of four books in his/her life. Seriously, I couldn't possibly choose one "best book I've ever read". I don't think Twilight would make my top 500. I can, however, hope that the Twilight series will inspire people to keep reading, so they can eventually pick up some of the really good stuff.

Oh, and if you want some real entertainment, go to Amazon.com and read some of the one-star reviews of Breaking Dawn. Along with containing some really well-considered critiques of the book, some of the reviews are also downright funny.

I have to go read something good now. Or possibly write something.
Preferably both. :D

My dad has had some free time lately and has been looking for some books to read. I recommend things like Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies because I feel he'll enjoy them; the women in my family recommend Twilight. No, don't read that ****! Read something good!

I don't understand this ****ty craze and I know it's only going to get worse when the movie comes out and everyone in my household is going insane.

Last edited:
My dad has had some free time lately and has been looking for some books to read. I recommend things like Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies because I feel he'll enjoy them; the women in my family recommend Twilight. No, don't read that ****! Read something good!

I don't understand this ****ty craze and I know it's only going to get worse when the movie comes out and everyone in my household is going insane.
What I don't understand is why anyone would recommend Twilight to your father even if it were good.

Seriously, who in their right mind recommends that book to a fully grown man and working father? That's like recommending Dawson's Creek to your carpenter uncle because he's looking for a good 'retro-20th century' TV show to watch.* Such blind recommendations are really really really stupid. You might as well lend The Secret to an atheist.

Seldes Katne said:
I can, however, hope that the Twilight series will inspire people to keep reading, so they can eventually pick up some of the really good stuff.
I don't mean to be Negativity McPoo-Poo-Pants, but this notion that one book will inspire people to pick up the hobby of reading is one that fails too often.

I don't subscribe to the "people are sheep, and what many people like must be crap" theory of cultural consumption when I say that. Rather, people end up reading for a variety of reasons and in cases like Harry Potter and Twilight, a fair chunk of their readers read for reasons other than a love of prose.

What truly inspires literacy is the ability of material to really ring true to why anyone would want to consume in the first place --- to learn something new, to feel something different, to get challenged somehow, to have your beliefs reaffirmed --- and not because "Everyone's reading it, so should you!"

In effect, Twilight and other such books, CAN inspire people to pick up the habit of reading, but only if the thoughts and emotions inspired by such reading, compel them to seek out new ways of experiencing that. The problem is that book reading --- as popularized by the Oprah-style recommendation --- has become a 'cultural responsibility.'

By that I mean that after the first wave of people have gotten into a book, the compulsion to read is driven by a desire to 'keep up,' to not be 'left out' of a mass experience. It's not just a societal pressure, but an internal one as well: 'I must know what this is!'

In the meantime, no one's really promoting a personal engagement with literacy and now only around 40% of young adults in the United States actually engage in any pastime reading. This is not a problem of Twilight being good or bad, nor is it a problem of people being 'stupid sheep' but a problem in which individuals are no longer able to define their reading consumption because the education and culture has failed to teach them how to.

* I understand that such stereotyping here is not entirely fair. It is however deliberate for the purposes of the point.

So I just started reading Watership Down today.

It's great so far.

Dude.

It's about rabbits.

Badass ****ing rabbits man. I love that book.

I picked up The Living Dead a few days ago. 400+ pages of short stories about Zombies. :D

I also recently finished Severance Package by our buddy Dwayne Swierczynski. It was good, but I'm really more curious about the world he's building in all his books. So far he's made sure they connect in each one somehow, even if its a fairly minor way. I'm waiting for everything to come together in one book. Probably about CI-6.

I think I'm insane. I've just picked up The Tale of Genji and volume one of In Search of Lost Time at the library, Genji because it's considered the first novel (or at the very least the first "great' novel), and Time because I like a challenge, and a book six volumes long has got to be difficult.

I haven't started the latter yet, but The Tale of Genji just seems to be, "Genji falls in love with a girl, can't have her, spends several pages moping, and gets her anyway." To be honest, it's getting kind of tiresome. Should I forge ahead? Anyone here read it? Does it get better?

Meh. Regardless, I'll probably finish it; I pride myself on finishing all of the books I've started, even if they are 1300 pages long.

I just got eleven books from the library because I am crazy and feel like reading lots of books. Along with the copy of Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King that I'm already reading, I have to read:

Misery by Stephen King
The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
Skeleton Crew by Stephen King
The Green Mile by Stephen King
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
The Final Solution by Michael Chabon
Voices from the Street by Philip K. Dick

Latest posts