What Do you Read

Since I'm now on book six of this series, I guess I'll just have to add this to the list....

The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher, is a grown-up version of Harry Potter. (Really "grown-up" -- some of the stuff in here is a little more "adult" than I usually like my books, but I'm sure most other readers wouldn't even notice.) Harry Dresden is the only practicing wizard listed in the Chicago phone book. He also serves as a consultant for SI, the Special Investigations unit of the Chicago Police Department. Dresden really is a wizard; he's on the outs with the wizards' White Council because he's gone public, and because he's caused some problems for the council in the past.

The books feature plenty of magic, along with vampires, werewolves, the Fey, a variety of monsters, and even some demons. There are at least eight books in the series. Titles include:

Storm Front: Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things -- and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a -- well, whatever. There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get... interesting.

Fool Moon: Business has been slow. Okay, business has been dead. And not even of the undead variety. You would think Chicago would have a little more action for the only professional wizard in the phone book. But lately, Harry Dresden hasn't been able to dredge up any kind of work — magical or mundane. But just when it looks like he can't afford his next meal, a murder comes along that requires his particular brand of supernatural expertise. A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon. Take three guesses — and the first two don't count...

Grave Peril: In the opening scene, Dresden and his knight friend, Michael, battle the ghost of a woman who is terrorizing a local hospital's maternity ward. From there, the novel quickly evolves into an unorthodox tale spiced with sexual innuendo and subtle humor (Dresden carries his ghost-hunting gear in an old Scooby-Doo lunch box). Due to the weakened barrier between the spirit world which Butcher refers to as "the nevernever" and the actual world, obsessive and violent ghosts are on the loose in modern-day Chicago, and they seem to be targeting Dresden and Michael. (Note: my one gripe about this novel is that Michael just appears out of nowhere, is never really explained, and then isn't even mentioned in the next book. Butcher makes the abrupt appearance work, mostly, but still....)

Summer Knight: Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower. The only professional wizard in the phone book has become a desperate man. And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him — and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name. It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case.

Death Masks: Harry Dresden is not having a good day. A vampire named Ortega is hunting the beleaguered wizard, intending to challenge him to a duel that, Ortega claims, will end the war between the vampires and the wizards. Harry has almost no hope of winning the duel, but soon he is preoccupied by another problem: Father Vincent, a priest, needs Harry's help in finding the Shroud of Turin, stolen by a trio of thieves. Harry traces two of the thieves to his hometown, Chicago, but when he finds them, he learns that he isn't the only one after them. A group of terrifying demons wants the shroud, and its leader is interested in Harry's soul, too. Harry must call on all of his friends, including three brave knights, his police-officer friend, and even his half-vampire ex-girlfriend, Susan.

As a discriminating reader, how good would you say the series is overall. Are they easy reads that are mildly entertaining?

Last edited:
I've got A Dangerous Man on the way from Amazon. Its Charlie Huston's third Hank book, land supposedly the last. I'm relly looking forward to it as his novels seem to be more along the lines of my sensibilities than his comic work has been so far.

As a discriminating reader, how good would you say the series is overall. Are they easy reads that are mildly entertaining?
They're easy reads, definitely -- I can finish one over a weekend, even though they tend to run 300 - 400 pages. Admittedly I'm a good reader, but I think it's more because the writing is good and the characters and situations are interesting. Butcher deftly juggles at least three plotlines in most of the books. This series started out good, and stayed that way. I'd recommend checking for them at the library, or at a bookstore where you can sit and read for a while.

I enjoy the series enough that I actually bought books five and six from my local Barnes and Noble because none of the libraries in my system have them. (I will be donating them to the library that has the largest collection of the series when I'm done reading them, so that they'll be available to everyone.)

Ultimate Houde reads them as well. Maybe we could get some input from him on this.

The Dresden files sounds like a worthwhile read, I might check it out.

Recently I've had a lot of down time between classes on campus, so I've going in to the bookstore for napping and reading. I'm working my way through Stephen King right now, since school started I've finished The Dead Zone (its okay), and I've got about 100 pages left in Salem's Lot (pretty good). After that I might pick up The Janissary Tree (its about a unich detective in past Istanbul).

Also, one the main characters in Salem's Lot has almost the same name as me, I thought that was kinda cool.:D

I'm reading Bernard Cornwell take on Excalibur and the Holy Grail. I love the way he writes and the ambient, one of the best story about Arthur and Excalibur. The Holy Grail is about a very good archer that can put an arrow where he wants. Awesome story.
Three books of Arthur's chronicles.
Three books of The Holy Grail.
I'm reading too Angus The first Warrior but i think no one has heard of it since it is a brazillian fantasy book. (Even tough it tells a story about a Norse.)

But with my last year of college I simply don't have time to read anymore, instead I'm working on a script for my college project. The only thing I can read now are comic books :roll:

Ultimate Houde reads them as well. Maybe we could get some input from him on this.

I have, and they are good, I read the first four during a week vacation at a campsite, and then I was only reading in the morning hours and the lull in the afternoon.

As for Seldes comment about Michael, granted it was abrupt, but I felt thats what was needed for that character. They really had no mention of religion and how that works in the series, and I felt just getting thrown into it was a good thing. That third book is one of my favorites, when he shows up at the party dressed as a fake vampire, brillant writing.

My favorite book is the one with the three knights. I love the buddhist, and his take onlife, which is similar to mine. What I don't like is how is sword is kind of forgotten, and never really mentioned anymore, I haven't read the latest book whihc I know features Michael again, but I still don't think they cover this. (I keep mulling over a fanfiction idea over this dangling plotline).

The series does a great job for one to keep turning the pages. It grips you and keeps you interested. Right now I'm in the process of rereading them, and once I do that, i can give my own review on them.

Last edited:
I'm reading Bernard Cornwell take on Excalibur and the Holy Grail. I love the way he writes and the ambient, one of the best story about Arthur and Excalibur.
Really? I wasn't super-impressed with Cornwall. He wasn't bad or anything, just...not good.

But with my last year of college I simply don't have time to read anymore, instead I'm working on a script for my college project. The only thing I can read now are comic books :roll:
I hear that too, sadly.

I'm currently juggling Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.

Murakami's kinda winning, if only because he's my favourite author. I've been dying to read Catch 22 for so long, but after a couple of chapters I feel that it isn't the right time to read it, and I'm trying to rush through The Sailor Who... because I borrowed it from a friend.

I've also got the first Thomas Covenant trilogy by Stephen Donaldson, Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark and about half of the remaining Edgar Allen Poe collection, all waiting for me.

So...... eek.

Last edited:
I just finished A Dangerous Man and it was damn good. An apprortiate ending to the Hank books, and tied in with his other books very well. I'm alittle sad to see Hank go, but he's supposed to be working on atleast 3 other books right now, so I can't complain too much.

I read -

gamesmaster magazine (a big computure game magazine here in uk)

wwe magazine

as for none comic books the only book i read thats none comic is LOTR. I love that book must of read it like 1000s of times. btw hate the movies of lotor as it was too diffrent to the book but thats not the point.....

I've also got the first Thomas Covenant trilogy by Stephen Donaldson
I have always had a couple of those books floating around and never managed to get through them.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark
I enjoyed that one. It wasn't really some phenomenal story but I liked it, for some reason.

Last edited:
Books people have to read

I'll start this off with Holes, by Louis Sachar. It's really one of the best books of all time and probably the most deserving Newbery Medal winner I can think of.

It was made into a very good and faithful movie a few years ago, but you still have to read the book to fully appreciate the story.

It's genuinely a book that kids, adults, and old folk will all love equally. I recommend it to everyone out there.

Re: Books people have to read

Lord of the rings

forget the bad movies of it pick up the LOTR book/books and read it. I garantee it will be in your top 10 book list if you do.

The characters in the books are done so well

The way things come togeth is amazing.

read it now.

isn't there already a thread for this?

Technically no, but there is a book discussion thread so we'll merge it.

I'll start this off with Holes, by Louis Sachar. It's really one of the best books of all time and probably the most deserving Newbery Medal winner I can think of.

It was made into a very good and faithful movie a few years ago, but you still have to read the book to fully appreciate the story.

It's genuinely a book that kids, adults, and old folk will all love equally. I recommend it to everyone out there.

I...dunno; I'm biased because I read it for school but I really didn't enjoy it that much.

Everything you just mentioned I agree with wholeheartedly. I felt like I was reading my words!

Latest posts

Back