What Do you Read

Re: Books people have to read

I loved Holes. I gave it to my mum to read and she couldn't put it down, even when we had visitors. The movie was pretty good too.

The good thing about the LOTR movies is that they cut a lot of the crap out that wasn't needed from the books. Seriously, Tom Bombadil? :lol:

I recommend Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, Animal Farm by George Orwell, and The Long Walk by Stephen King (under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman).

Where is Cad's book thread? Could someone either post a link or a mod merge this with it?

Where is Cad's book thread? Could someone either post a link or a mod merge this with it?

I think they should stay seperate. One is for a general book discussion, while this is a recommendation thread, similar to the movie recommendation thread.

I'll fight you.

I loved Holes. I gave it to my mum to read and she couldn't put it down, even when we had visitors. The movie was pretty good too.

My dad was looking for something to read a few years ago so I gave him my copy. He read the the whole thing in one day.

The good thing about the LOTR movies is that they cut a lot of the crap out that wasn't needed from the books. Seriously, Tom Bombadil? :lol:

Agreed. I think the movie is far superior to the book.

I...dunno; I'm biased because I read it for school but I really didn't enjoy it that much.

...they're giving his books out to read in school? NIce Louis, nice. I read all his stuff when I was a wee little tyke, Wayside school and whatnot. Great stuff. I never have read, or seen holes, even tho theres a copy somewhere in the house.

I'd like to reccomend Charlie Hustons Hank Trillogy (Caught Stealing, Six Bad Things, A Dangerous Man) for any crime or Noir fans. Just good stuff, even if moon knight isnt.

And the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, tho I'm sure Houde will outdo me on praise for them. Just try out Mort, trust me, you'll like it.

I think they should stay seperate. One is for a general book discussion, while this is a recommendation thread, similar to the movie recommendation thread.

I'll fight you.

* smites Proj *

Game over.

Wicked is a great book so far. It's by Gregory Maguire, and based on the Witches from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, even though it tends to follow the movie more. It's a really good read, and is more for adults, based on the sex and language used.

ok, im gonna bite....

as a kid i liked Holes cuz it was a little advanced then the stuff i was reading way back when, but before the movie came out i re-read it cuz my little sis had just finished reading it. and it was garbage, it might be the fact that i can't relate to those kids anymore or what, but it just didn't give me the right feel anymore.

As for LOTR, i've tried reading that book 5 times. the 1st time i got to the 6th page and stopped cuz it was bone dry crap. 2nd time i got to page 10 so on and so on...i think i barely made it page 19. it was just to dry for me. and the movies needed an intermission is wha it needed. after chugging a big huge drink and then sitting there waiting to find out when it was going to end is not fun. Congrads to Tolkin for being one of the first, but that doesn't make it the best.

My dad was looking for something to read a few years ago so I gave him my copy. He read the the whole thing in one day.

Agreed. I think the LOTR movie is far superior to the book.

Holy ****, Planet-Man. Once again, everything you've just written could've been typed by me. I gave my dad the book, too, and he also read it in a day. As for the LOTR, that's less of a coincidence that we share the same thoughts.

I'll fight you.

It would've been funnier if you'd said something to the effect of:

• I'll cut you
  • I'll stab you
  • I'll mace you
  • I'll cut a big smile in the fat gut of yours

......or something along those lines. :lol:

I'm not big on reading for fun. I know it makes me sound like such a cretin or Neanderthal but it's just hard for me to find any book that'll hold my interest.

I've read stuff like "Art of War", "Hagakure", "Secrets of the Samurai". The last 2 books I read was back in high school and they were Stephen King's "Needful Things" and Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye". Since then the most reading I've done is the fan fics here and some volunteering at the base library for reading to kids (I do impressions so the libray asks me to come back and read repeatedly since I do a plethora of voices when I read).

I'm sure this thread'll capture Seldes' eye and she'll no doubtedly have some great suggestions.

Yes there is, it's located here

Mods, please merge the threads, thank you.

I agree with Proj in that they should stay seperate. That's just "what do you read?", and refers to anything in general.

This is for recommending the best books out there, like the "Movies People Have to See" thread.

I'm not big on reading for fun. I know it makes me sound like such a cretin or Neanderthal but it's just hard for me to find any book that'll hold my interest.

recently I've been getting into reading more people that changed history.

try this one, its not about some cute little story, its about one of the greatest men that changed America; Malcolm Little aka Malcolm X , if for no other reason than to see how much power he really had, the power that made people choose the lesser of the two evils. It was either his way of violence or Kings way of love....which was littered with violence

Malcolm: The life of a man who changed Black America
by Bruce
Perry.

And you have very intelligently chosen to take the route I often recommend to male readers in particular -- try non-fiction. Reading magazine articles, newspaper articles, and books from the non-fiction sections of libraries and bookstores counts as "reading for fun" as long as they're not being read as classroom assignments (or whatever). Even my mother hasn't picked up a novel in years -- she reads biographies and documented accounts of American history almost exclusively. And she does so because she finds those types of books interesting and enjoyable.

I'm sure this thread'll capture Seldes' eye and she'll no doubtedly have some great suggestions.
:D Well, thank you. I've already added a few titles, although I'm much more likely to read fiction (usually more suitable for kids and young adults) than non-fiction. Although I did recently pick up a book called The Science of Vampires (which I think poor Victor has already had to hear about elsewhere), by Katherine Ramsland. The author applies forensic and medical science principals in explaining some of the physical traits attributed to vampires. She makes them sound plausible, and I think the science is explained well enough that most readers could understand what the author is talking about, even if they don't have a science background.

And I don't see any reason why people can't discuss the books themselves on this thread -- seeing several people talking about a book makes it more likely that someone who hasn't read it before will decide to pick it up. At some point the mods might want to "prune" some of the early pages off this thread when it gets too large, but that's not a difficult task.

Read "Holes".:wink:

Thanks but no thanks. Saw the movie. Not interested. Film was ok....but not enough for me to read the book.

And you have very intelligently chosen to take the route I often recommend to male readers in particular -- try non-fiction.

So I'm ahead of the curve? YES!!! :rockon:

But yeah...to say that I don't read period is just plain silly. Everyone should read. And everyone should read aloud as well (it makes you a better public speaker). Aside from comics (duh) I tend to read several periodicals (magazines in duh-terms).

Stuff like:
  • Men's Health
  • Blender
  • Entertainment Weekly
  • Playstation Magazine
  • Men's Fitness
  • Random articles from Newsweek, Time, People, etc....

Autobiographies are amazing as well.

Okay...

Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs

I promise you you won't regret picking this book up...

Here's the beginning of the first chaper:

No woman will ever satisfy me. I know that now, and I would never try to deny it. But this is actually okay, because I will never satisfy a woman, either.

Should I be writing such thoughts? Perhaps not. Perhaps it's a bad idea. I can definitely foresee a scenario where that first paragraph could come back to haunt me, especially if I somehow became marginally famous. If I become marginally famous, I will undoubtedly be interviewed by someone in the media, and the interviewer will inevitably ask, "Fifteen years ago, you wrote that no woman could ever satisfy you. Now that you've been married for almost five years, are those words still true?" And I will have to say, "Oh, God no. Those were the words of an entirely different person -- a person whom I can't even relate to anymore. Honestly, I can't image an existence without _____. She satisfies me in ways that I never even considered. She saved my life, really."

Now, I will be lying. I won't really feel that way. But I'll certainly say those words, and I'll deliver them with the utmost sincerity, even though those sentiments will not be there. So then the interviewer will undoubtedly quote lines from this particular paragraph, thereby reminding me that I swore I would publicly deny my true feelings, and I'll chuckle and say, "Come on, Mr. Rose. That was a literary device. You know I never really believed that."

But here's the thing: I do believe that. It's the truth now, and it will be in the future. And while I'm not exactly happy about that truth, it doesn't make me sad, either. I know it's not my fault.

It's no one's fault, really. Or maybe it's everyone's fault. It should be everyone's fault, because it's everyone's problem. Well, okay...not everyone. Not boring people, and not the profoundly retarded. But whenever I meet dynamic, nonretarded Americans, I notice that they all seem to share a single unifying characteristic: the inability to experience the kind of mind-blowing, transcendent romantic relationship they perceive to be a normal part of living. And someone needs to take the fall for this. So instead of blaming no one for this (which is kind of cowardly) or blaming everyone (which is kind of meaningless), I'm going to blame John Cusack.

Read the Rest of the First Chapter HERE -> http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?tab=6&pid=482000&agid=2

What I read:

Anything and everything by Hunter S. Thompson. I have read all of them at this point, except for Screwjack and The Curse of Lono. I've had both books since before his death, but haven't cracked them open yet. I will get around to it eventually. No rush. I started reading HST back in high school, starting with The Rum Diary and of course, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I think Chuck Palahniuk is the best there is right now in the literary world. I was introduced, like a lot of folks, to Chuck's work from watching Fight Club and then buying the book. I have kept up with everything since and I'm waiting for his next book to come out. Along with Chuck, I find almost everything I've read by Bret Easton Ellis to be a masterpiece. Both men are masters at writing twisted fiction that nauseates you but keeps you glued to every page.

I've been reading Stephen King since I was a kid. My mom bought his books religiously as they were released, and has since given me most of them. It's nice to have first editions of every book he put out through the 70's and 80's. My favorites from him would have to be The Stand, Desperation and Dreamcatcher. It's a shame that his movies don't usually translate well to film/TV. He should hold out when studios start calling until they get a competent production staff to handle his material.

I just finished reading Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, books one and two. Book three was supposed to come out Fall 2006 but as I understand, has been pushed back until early 2007. These are the first Koontz books I've ever read, and they were fantastic. It is a new take on the classic Frankenstein story, very well done, very timely. Check it out.

Other books I've read and enjoyed:

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
The Time Machine by HG Wells (first novel I ever read)
Post Office by Charles Bukowski

Latest posts

Back