What should I read next?

Mattimeo84

I am dying to get into something new. I need something that is long running, but still short enough to catch up on (150 issues are around that number). Something that doesn't get lost in its own continuity (most all long term titles by Marvel/DC). Something that I don't need to read six or seven other titles to get the whole story (Civil War, Infinity Crisis). Something that is easy to get a hold of.

Things I have read and loved (even if it doesn't fit my rules):
Anything Ultimate
All Exiles
What if?
Anything Squadron Supreme
Bullet Points
Spider-Man Reign
Walking Dead
Scott Pilgrim
Calvin and Hobbes (as good or better than a lot of comics I've tried)
Watchmen

I'm willing to try one shots and mini-series but I am mainly looking for something I can get into for the long haul. Also, I know my list is mostly Marvel, I have no real problems with DC, I just grew up with liking the Marvel heroes more than the DC heroes. I am willing to give DC a shot.

Y the Last Man, Ex Machina, All Star Superman, Punisher MAX, Fables. All perfect for what you're looking for and all popular and easy to find. I recommend them all.

Glee! I love recommending stuff.

The EARTH X trilogy is particularly brilliant (the sequels are UNIVERSE X and PARADISE X). While it's three large maxi-series of 14 issues, there's also a lot of specials so it's probably closer to 50 issues all said and done. It's also vast, in that the entire Marvel universe is in it. It came out before the Ultimate universe, but even the Ultimate universe is briefly included in its epic scope for a panel or two.

Marvel also had RUNAWAYS which was a lot of fun, and DC had some great series; Grant Morrison's run on DOOM PATROL is great (beginning with CRAWLING FROM THE WRECKAGE) and his run on ANIMAL MAN is fun too. DC also had the terrific GOTHAM CENTRAL.

There's also HELLBOY and THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY. Terrific, crazy, superhero stuff.

But best of all, is the ABC line. Written almost entirely by Alan Moore, the ABC line is an entire universe of great titles that you can get completely lost in. There's TOM STRONG, TOP 10, PROMETHEA, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMAN, TOMORROW STORIES, and TERRA OBSCURA. I can't emphasise enough just how wonderful this universe is and this line will last you a long time, and it's wonderfully varied. If you want a good superhero universe, the ABC line just can't be beat. It's a bunch of titles, but none of the titles actually have that many issues. It's such a treat.

But if you want a current ongoing I have two:
FANTASTIC FOUR - written by Jonathan Hickman. His run only just started but who knows how long it'll go on for? I think he started with #570.
PUNISHER MAX - It's violent and full of swearing, but it's terrific. Garth Ennis began this series and his 60-issue run is superb, and it's still good after he left. It's been recently rebranded with a new #1 and it's currently on #8 or so.

Last edited:
superhero stuff, without the main superhero's:
Invincible by Robert Kirkman
Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan Completed Series
Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker Completed Series
Captian America by Ed Brubaker : Winter Soldier

Crime/bloodshed/mystery
100 Bullets By Brian Azzarello Completed Series
Punisher Max by Garth Ennis,
Y: the last man by Brian K. Vaughan Completed Series
DMZ by Brian Wood if you liked human survival aspect of Walking Dead, you'll like the human aspect of DMZ

really cool reads
Sandman by Neil Gaiman Completed Series
Fables by Bill Willingham up until the end of the emperor saga.
Preacher by Garth Ennis Completed Series if you can't stomach Punisher Max, then don't read this.

Last edited:
Here's a fun fact. Lead singer of My Chemical Romance, Girard Way, is the writer/creator of the Umbrella Academy.

EDIT: also, I think it should be said that if you can't stomach Punisher MAX, you probably shouldn't bother with Garth Ennis at all. ;)

Last edited:
What's DMZ about?

There was a modern American civil war. When the smoke clears, one side controls New Jersey, the other controls most of New York, and Manhattan is contested territory between the two. The people left in Manhattan have been cut off from the rest of the world for a few years now, left to fend for themselves. When the book begins, a truce between the two sides in the conflict makes Manhattan a demilitarized zone. One of the big news agencies is sending an embedded reporter in to film what life is like in the DMZ for the rest of the world. Things go **** up, and it's instead journalist intern Mattie Roth who's left with the press credentials. The story follows him as he reports from within the DMZ. In doing so, we get a look at the new lifestyles and subcultures that have arisen from the circumstances of the past few years, with Manhattan being entirely cut off from the rest of the world.

The cool thing is how versatile and broad the content of the stories are. It's basically about life in the DMZ so we get everything from slice of life stories, to crime thrillers, to urban war stories, and political intrigue.

Last edited:
ask and ye shall receive...thanks all, that should keep me busy for a couple of weeks.

if you think of anything else, please let me know

ask and ye shall receive...thanks all, that should keep me busy for a couple of weeks.

if you think of anything else, please let me know

Supreme. I've just started reading it, and it's brilliant. I'm not sure if it's collected in trades, but if so, it's worth picking up. It originally started as a Liefeld rip-off of Superman and as such, was undeniably ****ty. But Alan Moore started writing it with 41, and it's just great. The very first issue of his run has an amnesiac Supreme (basically Superman) meeting with every Supreme that's come before him in (imaginary) publication history to reveal to him that he's merely the newest revision of the iconic character, and whenever a version of the character is retconned, they are sent to the Supremacy, which is like Superman Valhalla. What follows is just wonderful. It follows Supreme as he goes on adventures and recovers his history, and each issue seems to contain a flashback to an older story which is written and drawn in the style of the era it was supposedly published in.

Supreme. I've just started reading it, and it's brilliant. I'm not sure if it's collected in trades, but if so, it's worth picking up. It originally started as a Liefeld rip-off of Superman and as such, was undeniably ****ty. But Alan Moore started writing it with 41, and it's just great. The very first issue of his run has an amnesiac Supreme (basically Superman) meeting with every Supreme that's come before him in (imaginary) publication history to reveal to him that he's merely the newest revision of the iconic character, and whenever a version of the character is retconned, they are sent to the Supremacy, which is like Superman Valhalla. What follows is just wonderful. It follows Supreme as he goes on adventures and recovers his history, and each issue seems to contain a flashback to an older story which is written and drawn in the style of the era it was supposedly published in.

Intriguing, but I'd have no desire to sit through 40 issues of Liefeld suckiness to get to Moore. Unless you can just jump in to Moore's run.

Intriguing, but I'd have no desire to sit through 40 issues of Liefeld suckiness to get to Moore. Unless you can just jump in to Moore's run.

That's what I've been doing. I picked up on Moore's run withotu reading anything before and had no problem with it. From what I understand, one of his stipulations was basically that he could throw away everything that Liefeld had done on the run, and that's how he seems to have done it. Since the Supreme he starts with is a brand new in-universe retcon of the character, it's like a completely fresh slate.

Basically, it's exactly what the Sentry tried to be and failed at being.

Last edited:
Let me just add...

Supreme-052a-23.jpg

Supreme-052a-24.jpg

That's what I've been doing. I picked up on Moore's run withotu reading anything before and had no problem with it. From what I understand, one of his stipulations was basically that he could throw away everything that Liefeld had done on the run, and that's how he seems to have done it. Since the Supreme he starts with is a brand new in-universe retcon of the character, it's like a completely fresh slate.

Basically, it's exactly what the Sentry tried to be and failed at being.

OK, that's good enough for me. I'll check it out.

He didn't fail at jeans.

True. Give the man credit where credit is due. No other comic creator has had as much success at jeans than Rob Liefeld.

HAHAHAHA!

The first issue of Supreme: The Return features Korgo the Space Tyrant vs. President Clinton.

Latest posts

Back