What would make you more satisfied? (Ultimates #10 Cover Spoilers)

What would you rather: Stay within' The Ultimates or bring other titles into it?

  • Have other titles characters and concepts affect the Ultimates

    Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Keep it strictly in The Ultimates.

    Votes: 17 39.5%

  • Total voters
    43

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
This is in response to two wild... but certainly not without substance, speculation. I don't think Fireproof was the first to come up with the Mystique being involved with the murder of Hawkeye's family and bringing Magneto information. My theory after playing USM: The Game was that the anti-Ultimates are Latverian supersoldiers composed of a Green Goblin, Beetle, Black Widow (Ultimate Team-Up issue. Why was she at the Latverian Embassey?), And possibly some form of Sandman or Venom... along with Red Skull and Ultron. Now I know I might be pushin' it. DIrishB has told us no over and over and honestly I don't think it's happening but would be thrilled to have it all tie in and have Latveria really come from nowhere and show some muscle and possibly mix the UFF in too because Doom (If continuity allows at whatever point) could be behind it all. Latveria may be the glue to the Ultimate Universe...

Anyway the question is not what do you think will happen but What would make all of you fanboys geek out more?

If The Ultimates downfall was hinted throughout other titles such as USM (Latveria), UXM (Mystique), or any other Ultimate titles.... or if it centered solely within The Ultimates title (which is probably 99.9% more likely).
 

compound

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
2,772
Location
Metro Manila, Philippines
Re: what would make you more satisfied? (IUltimates #10 Cover Spoilers)

Personally, I'd like the explanation to be fully justified within the Ultimates -- even if the resolution was hinted at in other titles. And yes, that includes the Annual.

So if this General Viktor from the Annual proves to be related to Latveria or the "other Doom" or whatever, as one of the chief antagonists in the final arc, it would prove Millar wrong about the necessity of the Annual, but it would make the revelation of the villains' identities less of a random factor. And I'm all for that.

I'd happily geek out to a well-handled story that had only been foreshadowed outside the series, but I can also see why it would be potentially disastrous to the goodwill of long-time readers who don't pay attention to the remainder of the UU.
 
Last edited:

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Re: what would make you more satisfied? (IUltimates #10 Cover Spoilers)

compound said:
Personally, I'd like the explanation to be fully justified within the Ultimates -- even if the resolution was hinted at in other titles. And yes, that includes the Annual.

So if this General Viktor from the Annual proves to be related to Latveria or the "other Doom" or whatever, as one of the chief antagonists in the final arc, it would prove Millar wrong about the necessity of the Annual, but it would make the revelation of the villains' identities less of a random factor. And I'm all for that.

I'd happily geek out to a well-handled story that had only been foreshadowed outside the series, but I can also see why it would be potentially disastrous to the goodwill of long-time readers who don't pay attention to the remainder of the UU.
It's a personal opinion compound. Not what other readers think. I know most of the people on this messageboard are hardcore Ultimate completists... that's why I asked it here.
 

Bass

Nexus of the World
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
14,167
Location
Folkestone, UK
I can tell you why I truly think Latveria isn't involved at all.

Doom isn't the ruler of Latveria, but a hobo in Denmark.

Without Doom, there is no Latveria.

Originally, it was obvious Doom was the ruler of Latveria even though we never saw him. I was really looking forward to his debut, and while I liked Ellis' Doom arc a lot, it's seems that him being a big bad in the Ultimate universe isn't going to happen any time soon, and with him nothing more than a footnote, I doubt Latveria is going to pop up anywhere.
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
Millar says that Doom plays a large part in his UFF run and that he's moved on a lot from Denmark. So chronology wise he could be a political figure by now. That said, there is no indication that Doom is already a person of power.

I find this 'bolt on' theorising a bit annoying to be honest. Millar has produced a very well constructed mystery and people are plonking random elements into the story because the breadcrumbs are too tough to follow.
 

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
Well, since I don't read the other Ultimate U titles, it'd really annoy me if something was randomly grabbed out of one of them - especially something never seen before or even hinted about in an Ultimates issue.

As it is, I'm not even sure I want a superhero/villain answer for the mystery. I want the answer to be much more mundane and related to what has already happened in the issues. No brand-new bad guy.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Rhyo said:
Well, since I don't read the other Ultimate U titles, it'd really annoy me if something was randomly grabbed out of one of them - especially something never seen before or even hinted about in an Ultimates issue.

I don't mind it - in fact, I like it - as long as it's handled like how Vaughan does it where it's part of the story, but not an integral part.
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
UltimateE said:
I don't mind it - in fact, I like it - as long as it's handled like how Vaughan does it where it's part of the story, but not an integral part.
How has Vaughan done that? I know his arcs are villain based, but he hasn't written a story that brings in a new bad guy (from a different title or not) just before the curtain drops.

At any rate, the Ultimates (as Hitch states in the interview) is a product of its time. And given Millars leanings, this is all a story about the Ultimates fighting villains that they themselves have created. The US does spend more time and money on chasing its tail in the real world, and that is what Millar is saying too. It has to be absolutely wrapped up n its own story.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Rhyo said:
As it is, I'm not even sure I want a superhero/villain answer for the mystery. I want the answer to be much more mundane and related to what has already happened in the issues. No brand-new bad guy.

That's what I was saying when the cover came out but I guess there's no way around it now.


Guij said:
How has Vaughan done that? I know his arcs are villain based, but he hasn't written a story that brings in a new bad guy (from a different title or not) just before the curtain drops.
You're right he doesn't do that. I think E's just referring to how he subtley brings up different aspects of the rest of the UU. But doing something like bringing in this would be way beyond that. But then again.... we know Red Skull will most likely be this Anti-Ultimates Leader... so what if they're funded from Latveria and that's all that's said. That's more Vaughan's style and if they come from Latveria how is that any different then the speculations of any other country? They just don't go into detail on how they built this supergroup. I mean I don't think they're gonna go too much into it in one issue anyway, right?
 

Guijllons

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
4,077
Location
A quaint English Village
TheManWithoutFear said:
You're right he doesn't do that. I think E's just referring to how he subtley brings up different aspects of the rest of the UU. But doing something like bringing in this would be way beyond that. But then again.... we know Red Skull will most likely be this Anti-Ultimates Leader... so what if they're funded from Latveria and that's all that's said. That's more Vaughan's style and if they come from Latveria how is that any different then the speculations of any other country? They just don't go into detail on how they built this supergroup. I mean I don't think they're gonna go too much into it in one issue anyway, right?
I think the difference is that Vaughan is(was) writing an ongoing and the Ultimates are self contained runs (more or less). Bringing in a plot element like funding from a foreign power into an arc is something that a writer would do to either touch on in a later arc or leave open for another writer. I don't think the Ultimates format can support that type of telling.

And this talk of the Red Skull and the Anti-Ultimates bothers me. I'm still hoping that the cover is more of an allegory than straight narrative. Though I am confused but the hulk like figure.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
TheManWithoutFear said:
I think E's just referring to how he subtley brings up different aspects of the rest of the UU.

Yup.
 

SeAcoW

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
904
Millar said they will show up. And if America gets invaded by Russia, you really think peter will be at home watching Dr.Phil? hmmm and what about x-men? "That's non of our buisness, we only deal with mutants" ... hmmm ... no.

They will be there.
 

Pandrio

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
1,748
Location
Tampa FL, Penguin Country
TheManWithoutFear said:
The thread is about what you would rather have in U2 10+, only the Ultimates or the other heroes. If we knew that the other heroes where going to be in it, there would be a lot less purpose to this thread.
 

Latest posts

Top